Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

CzarChasm posted:

If we're throwing comics into the mix, the Hellboy version is pretty tragic.

It's been a while but, IIRC, the short version is that the team is sent to investigate Wendigo attacks in Colorado. They come upon the wendigo who attacks them, but after a brief fight, he calms down and shows that he can talk and that his name is Daryl.

It turns out in this version of the story, the "curse" is more like an infectious disease, but you can cure yourself if you transfer it to another person. But now, Daryl, this more or less innocent guy has to be locked up in a pit forever. Because he won't ever die of natural causes, and apparently killing him outright is not an option (maybe that's how the disease transfers. I don't remember).

I can't google to verify at work, but that's kind of the gist. Search for Daryl the Wendigo for more details.

Yeah boss, that's Daryl in jail a couple of posts up. He has a bit of a buddy cop adventure in the woods later with a guy that is a sort of were jaguar but, well, it doesn't really end well for anyone involved.

edit: well poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Derek Barona posted:

There will be a stereotypically black samurai. He'll have exactly two lines of dialogue before being killed by Daigo.

Funnily enough, what with the Daigo/Nobunaga thing, this would actually be somewhat historically accurate. One of Nobunaga's samurai retainers was a 6'2" black guy named Yasuke. Apparently Nobunaga was so fond of the guy there was talk of him being ennobled in the future. In that alt history where Oda survived to unify Japan, one of the lords could have been African.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 24, 2014

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 6: Gates of Hell (Part 1)

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Minor bit of personal correction, I mentioned ActRaiser early on in the video. The spell I was thinking of is called Magical Stardust, and it's actually good against most bosses EXCEPT the one I specifically mentioned. Oops.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Those are Whomps, not Thwomps. :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Where have I seen that eyeball fiend before...

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

So, who wants to start theorizing who is the abomination cobbled together from Hyakkimaru's stolen parts? The fiends mentioned him being a failure at the start of the video, so it's probably someone we met. I thought it was Tohomaru until he told the fiends to gently caress off because he's missing the eye that Hyakkimaru got back when he met Dororo and he was supposed to die a ways back in the story. Most likely candidate is Saburota given how he's started pulling demon powers outta his rear end. Or Dororo seeing how he can punch harder than most swords can cut and seems to be missing most of his brain. :cheeky:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

alcharagia posted:

Those are Whomps, not Thwomps. :colbert:

Yep, Thwomps are the block shaped ones that float, Whomps are the tile shaped ones that walk around and fall on you.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AccidentalHipster posted:

So, who wants to start theorizing who is the abomination cobbled together from Hyakkimaru's stolen parts? The fiends mentioned him being a failure at the start of the video, so it's probably someone we met. I thought it was Tohomaru until he told the fiends to gently caress off because he's missing the eye that Hyakkimaru got back when he met Dororo and he was supposed to die a ways back in the story. Most likely candidate is Saburota given how he's started pulling demon powers outta his rear end. Or Dororo seeing how he can punch harder than most swords can cut and seems to be missing most of his brain. :cheeky:

Tahoumaru is actually missing his right eye, the same eye Hyakki's missing.

It is totally Dororo that is the person made from Hyakki's bits. That's why he's so tiny, they were ickle babby parts.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Can't believe my prediction that Miyaki being level 100 at the end of all this was going to be close to true!

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

AccidentalHipster posted:

If there was an abomination wouldn't they like lose parts as he got them back?

But if there was one it could be the Ronin that used Dragon Brood. I mean what bigger failure than killing yourself and then getting the sword broken that had Hyakki's body part in it? And he looked pretty hosed up himself.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Her hair bun looks like a Futurama brain slug.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Chapter 6: Gates of Hell (Part 2)

What the hell, have another picture of the Minotaur, who in addition to being the best boss in the game also has the only vaguely interesting animation cycle in the encyclopedia:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Now I understand what you meant about speed. The change at the start of the Annihilation battle is amazing. :stare:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean we have 33/48 Fiends in the ground now. These guys couldn't do much when there were 48 of them, what can they do when just 15 of them remain?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

SSNeoman posted:

I mean we have 33/48 Fiends in the ground now. These guys couldn't do much when there were 48 of them, what can they do when just 15 of them remain?

Because, uh... reasons? It's probably something vaguely villainous.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
This is an Anime universe so logically the Demons will get logarithmically more powerful as you approach the final one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The meteor is the best move against boss fiends because every single one connects.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Oh Tahomaru, your story goes so very differently in the manga. It's kind of sad to see how things are going here.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Green Intern posted:

Oh Tahomaru, your story goes so very differently in the manga. It's kind of sad to see how things are going here.

I'm actually convinced at this point that the only reason Hyakki has that "no killing humans" rule is because the creators knew he would straight up murder his brother early on without it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wow, I got to say, despite how slow Hyakki starts off, this games looks like it just gets way more incredibly rewarding as it goes on.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Does the "mind's eye" thing actually do anything or is it just the speed boost that it gives which unlocks that last set of attacks?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I wanna note that Tezuka actually had a medical degree, so he knew how the body worked. He just chose to make poo poo up because it made for a better story.

So the whole "having a prosthetic cranium" isn't that out there. Blackjack, another Tezuka protagonist, created his sidekick using a parasite he extracted from a woman. He gave the parasite organs and a prosthetic body. He also did all this while drunk .

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't Black Jack also perform open heart surgery on himself?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

SSNeoman posted:

So the whole "having a prosthetic cranium" isn't that out there. Blackjack, another Tezuka protagonist, created his sidekick using a parasite he extracted from a woman. He gave the parasite organs and a prosthetic body. He also did all this while drunk .

Why isn't there a Black Jack video game?

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There is, it's called 'Trauma Center.' Yes the one with the viruses that are also alien heart spiders and knife fish.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

SSNeoman posted:

I wanna note that Tezuka actually had a medical degree, so he knew how the body worked. He just chose to make poo poo up because it made for a better story.

Actually, they made a point of noting that she had all of her vital organs right there. All he really did was give her the body.

As for the drunk part, well, it's Blackjack. He's just that good.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

AnotherGamer posted:

Does the "mind's eye" thing actually do anything or is it just the speed boost that it gives which unlocks that last set of attacks?

The latter. Having all three eyes and the +20 speed from the Crescent Moon finally gave us access to every combo, but any sufficient speed boost would have done the same.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

AnotherGamer posted:

Before Hyakki got his actual eyes back, he relied solely on his mind's eye to perceive the world around him. This wasn't a direct replacement for sight. Now he has the whole package.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?
A bit late to say this, but I actually feel kinda stupid for not thinking we'd get an answer for who the mysterious organ recipient was so quickly despite the imminent fiend confrontation. Okay, it was kinda hastily foreshadowed, but I honestly expected them to drag it out longer.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

"Wow," Hyakki's brother says, "it sure is great that you've got three eyes when I've only got one. rear end in a top hat."

I think with the Saburota thing, yeah, he should be losing his/Hyakki's body parts, but that just means there's more space to fill in with demonic goodness!

And that horse fiend totally looked like a He-Man action figure.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think the fiends used the body parts to create anti-Hyakki, not that Saburota actually has those body parts inside him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Obviously Saburota is doing the same thing Hyakki is doing in reverse. In the boss fight against him he will take off his left arm and it will be a sword

Edit: This would actually be a really cool idea, for a boss in a game to have all the upgrades you didn't collect along the way.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 27, 2014

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Hidden Fiends 2

Encyclopedia: Chapter 6

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And now we're getting to the major body parts, soon we'll get our other arm and leg.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
She straight up has nipple legs... or leg nipples. Not really sure how to process that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Funny you mentioning Deadly Premonition there, Misaki's voice actress actually played a few characters in that.

Kinda disappointed with how that plotline ended, actually. I was really hoping she'd wind up being the only unpowered human to give us a challenge, becoming a master swords/knifewoman, rather than getting possessed by a fiend. Would've been a really cool idea. Also disappointed that we didn't get to use our leg itself as the launcher, I was thinking exactly the same thing would happen myself. Looks more like we hacked off one of the Minotaur's armourbits and used that as the frame.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

7c Nickel posted:

She straight up has nipple legs... or leg nipples. Not really sure how to process that.

File it under 'Japan' and try to forget.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pretty sure those red flowers are higanbana and they're strongly related to the afterlife in Japan, hence why you seem them in a lot of Japanese media and why you saw similar flowers in Deadly Premonition.

Also wikipedia had a picture of a moth on a higanbana. Dunno if that's just a coincidence or if they just regularly pollinate them and that's why you fought a moth yokai in a red flower field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
OMG! This Misaki fight is amazing! I agree, this plot point should have been in the "Main" story line.

• Locked thread