Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The great state of Illinois is known for many things. Okay, we're known for Chicago,

dead people voting

and general corruption (we're number 8!),

and Barack Obama (suck it, Hawaii, he's lived here longer. That presidental library will be ours!)

Oh yeah, we have corn and soybeans, too, coming in at number two for corn production and number one for soybean production in 2013.

But you're not here to talk about the Great Corn Desert; you're here to talk politics.

Our beloathed governor, Pat Quinn:

Pat's in a bit of trouble this year. He alienated all the (traditionally Democratic voting) state workers by trying to gut pensions, he alienated all the (traditionally Democratic voting) unions by cancelling contracts with AMFSCME and generally dicking them around with concession demands, he pissed off the Republicans by signing same-sex marriage bills into law and raising taxes on businesses and citizen taxpayers several times... pretty much nobody in the state likes him anymore, and he's up for reelection. Against a pro-choice Republican. Yeah. Oh did I mention he's also under investigation for some anti-violence initiative money laundering scandal or other?

Fortunately or unfortunately, his Republican opponent is Bruce Rauner, billionaire. He owns (several) mansion(s) and a yacht.

To call him a bit of a cockmunch would be an understatement. I'll let My Imaginary GF fill you in on all the details, suffice to say he makes Mitt Romney look like Elizabeth Warren.

Rumor has it that the unions specifically urged their members to cross over and vote for this guy in the Republican primary on the theory he'd be so odious people would have to vote for Quinn, who may be an rear end in a top hat, but he's an rear end in a top hat to which they can apply pressure. Time will tell if this move was brilliant or loving stupid.

The comedy Green party option is Scott Summers

A no-poo poo Eagle Scout who graduated from NIU with a law degree and later got an MBA from Northwestern's Kellogg School of Business, he's served on several non-profit boards, was a trustee at a local college, is a Certified Financial Planner and a FINRA arbitrator and adult literacy volunteer and probably helps little old ladies cross the street and picks up litter in his spare time. He will not win because Illinois politics is not for good, kind people who care about playing by the rules.

In an interesting side note, the Green Party got over 10% of the vote in the last election Rob Blagojevich ran in, because people were that disgusted by him, so he did do some good other than entertain us in that one reality show.

If you're an Illinois resident, you can actually register to vote online here (you need a driver's license and SSN). The voter registration deadline is October 7, 2014.

If you don't know if you're registered to vote in Illinois check here.

2014 Elections

There are five ballot measures on the statewide ballot for 2014. You can find them here. They include a Right to Vote Amendment, a Crime Victim's Bill of Rights, and three non-binding advisory questions, about the Minimum Wage Increase, Birth Control in Prescription Drug Coverage, and a Millionaire Tax Increase. The Republicans in the Assembly have called these questions a transparent attempt to get out the Democratic vote and they're probably right but seriously, gently caress Bruce Rauner.

In addition seats for the U.S. Senate, House, State Executives, State Senate and House, and various local ballot measures and school board elections are also on the agenda. Check them out here.

U.S. Senate Race:
One seat up for grabs. Candidates:
Dick Durbin(Inc) (D) vs. Jim Oberweiss
Prognosis: Durbin's held this seat for 31 years, he's there til he dies, retires or gets indicted. Oberweiss is a perennial Republican also-ran who makes good ice cream and bad political decisions. Winner: Durbin

U.S. House Seats:
All 18 district seats are up for grabs. 12 are held by Dems and 6 by Republicans. We can talk more about them in thread. Find out more here.

Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, Sec of State, Treasurer and Comptroller are also up for reelection. The only competitive races are for the top two and Treasurer; all the other ones are pretty much a lock.

State Senate elections:

Ballotpedia posted:

"In 10 of the 19 districts up for election in 2014, there is only one major party candidate running for election. A total of four Democrats and six Republicans are guaranteed election in November barring unforeseen circumstances.

Two major party candidates will face off in the general election in nine of the 19 districts up for election. Just one of these seats, District 36, held mildly competitive elections in 2012. In that election, the Democratic candidate won by a margin of 10 percent.

District 36: Incumbent Mike Jacobs (D) will face off against challenger Neil Anderson (R).
So... yeah. Illinois is pretty much gerrymandered to hell and back.

State House elections:

Ballotpedia posted:

In 66 of the 118 districts up for election in 2014, there is only one major party candidate running for election. A total of 40 Democrats and 26 Republicans are guaranteed election in November barring unforeseen circumstances.

Two major party candidates will face off in the general election in 52 of the 118 districts up for election. Three of those seats held competitive elections in 2012 with a margin of victory ranging from 0 to 5 percent. One other election was mildly competitive, with a margin of victory of 7 percent. Those districts are:

Competitive

District 79: Incumbent Katherine Cloonen (D) defeated primary challenger John Howard and will face Glenn Nixon (R) in the general election. Cloonen won the general election by a margin of victory of 0.21 percent in 2012.
District 112: Incumbent Dwight Kay (R) will face off against challenger Cullen L. Cullen (D). Kay won by a margin of victory of 0.68 percent in 2012.
District 71: Incumbent Mike Smiddy (D) will face off against challenger Jim Wozniak (R). Smiddy won by a margin of victory of 4 percent in 2012.

Mildly competitive

District 55: Incumbent Martin Moylan (D) will face off against challenger Mel Thillens (R). Moylan won by a margin of victory of 7 percent in 2012.

Latest Scandals and Impropriety:

Chicago Teachers vs. Rahm Emmanuel

quote:

Last September, Mayor Emanuel provoked a bitter nine-day strike by the CTU, one of the largest affiliates of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), by demanding that teachers' pay be tied to a "merit" system largely dependent on test scores rather than to a negotiated salary scale and by pushing provisions to weaken their job security. The union, with widespread support among parents, defeated him. The strike also became a fight over the privatization and school closure program, although under US law these are not issues for collective bargaining.

Afterwards, in what many view as an attack on the union, the Board of Education proposed in December to close dozens more schools. Thousands rallied and marched on March 27 in opposition, organized by the CTU, UNITE HERE Local 1, SEIU Local 1 and the Grassroots Education Movement. They demanded that the district stop the closures and slow the expansion of charter schools and focus instead on investment in public schools in working-class neighborhoods.

CTU President Karen Lewis urged students, "On the first day of school, you show up at your real school. Don't let these people take your school!" Over 100 people were then arrested in acts of civil disobedience outside City Hall.

Mayor Rahm wants to hamstring the teacher's union. He probably should've stuck with bullying Teamsters; they don't fight as hard. Union Leader Karen Lewis has been saying she wants to run against Rahm for mayor, and recent polling suggests she just might kick his rear end.

Pat Quinn's Anti-Violence Initiative; A Political Slush Fund?

Quinn started an anti-violence initiative in Chicago in 2010. Seeing as it included the trifecta of politics, money, and Chicago, some chicanery and misuse of funds went on.

Huffington Post posted:

Republicans, who see the gubernatorial election this year as a chance to win control of a Democratic-leaning state, have alleged Quinn used money from the $55 million Neighborhood Recovery Initiative as a political slush fund to secure votes in predominantly minority neighborhoods of heavily Democratic Chicago in a tight race. Quinn has denied that claim and says he has "zero tolerance" for fraud or abuse. He's also defended the intent of the program, which provided mentorship, job training, counseling and other help for ex-convicts in Chicago's violence-plagued neighborhoods.

"The one thing (Quinn) does have and always has had is a reputation for integrity," said Chris Mooney, a political studies professor at the University of Illinois at Springfield.

The Legislative Audit Commission oversees state audits and must approve one that concluded that the Neighborhood Recovery Initiative was hastily put together, poorly managed and that some funds never went to violence prevention efforts. Quinn has said he shut down the program in 2012 when concerns about possible misspending arose.

Quinn's office also says it has instructed all state agencies to support any law enforcement inquiries. Senate Republican spokeswoman Patty Schuh says Quinn's office provided members of the Legislative Audit Commission about 2,000 emails linked to the program.

I'm sure there's more, a few state senators got removed from office for taking bribes, for instance, though that's a bit of old news at the moment, there's the incredible number of shootings in Chicago this year, including 47 in one weekend in July (leaving 5 dead), though even downstate has seen a worrisome increase in gun violence. And what do we do? Allow concealed carry of course!

Illinois also recently legalized medical marijuana.

Some local political blogs:
http://capitolfax.com/ Pretty popular news blog
http://bigdebbieshouse.com/ appears to have gone private since last I looked, anyone got any scoop on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

and Barack Obama (suck it, Hawaii, he's lived here longer. That presidental library will be ours!)

2014 Elections

U.S. Senate Race:
Winner: Durbin

U.S. House Seats:
Winner: 2 :gay: walk into a Republican primary on a :11tea: platform...

Quinn started an anti-violence initiative in Chicago in 2010. Seeing as it included the trifecta of politics, money, and Chicago,

Some local political blogs:
http://capitolfax.com/ Pretty popular news blog

http://bigdebbieshouse.com/ appears to have gone private since last I looked, anyone got any scoop on that?

CapFax is where insiders post comments, and gently caress no I ain't say'n nothing about whether the unions goin for Rauner was worth it 'til after '16 [alternatively, until after '25].

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I hope Rahm gets the boot, gently caress that slimy little worm. :allears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think "living in Illinois" was part of the reason I decided to completely ignore my Poli-Sci degree after college.

Joining in the chorus of 'gently caress Rahm'. Fucker wasn't even eligible to run for office in the first place, but then it's not like laws are ever treated as something politicians have to follow.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Last poll I saw had Rauner up double digits.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stanos posted:

I hope Rahm gets the boot, gently caress that slimy little worm. :allears:

Please proceed, governor.

gret posted:

Last poll I saw had Rauner up double digits.

Rauner founded a way to organize better than VAN

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm probably not gonna even vote for governor. Quinn is poo poo, Rauner is poo poo and the Illinois Green Party are loving assholes who can go eat poo poo. My personal dislike of Quinn and Rauner might win over my party-level dislike for the Greens though and end up with me voting them anyways. Durbin is a very bleh "moderate" democrat, but Oberweiss is a racist who was drinking the Tea Party Flavor-Aid before the Tea Party was even a thing, so Durbin it is. Sadly I live in the corn desert so that's about the extent of my choices in the election.

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011
I was surprised at Rauner actually putting up some ads around my area in Chicago. I dislike his positions more than Quinn's which is how I will end up voting if only to prevent some business-man/politician from having his day leading this state. The man wants to bring right-to-work into the state along with having held a stance of decreasing the minimum wage for years before flipping to appease the public recently.

Also every time I see Quinn I remember a picture of him from his early career days(1980s) where he seemed energetic and with a head of hair, I wonder what happened to that man as all I see of him is a saddened man who is balding and does not seem to have a look of taking charge with the state. :saddowns:

Thanks for the thread! Always great to have a source for some basic information.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Some previous Rauner posts from another thread that I didn't want lost:

My Imaginary GF posted:

The X-man cometh posted:

What's the deal with Rauner and the pension privatization anyway? I keep hearing about it, but not what actually happened.
Its all about money. Here, let me write up a quick chronological timeline--

1992: Invests $25mil of Golden Thomas & Cressey's capital and $175 of managed funds' into Bipin Shah's Transactional Processing, Inc. (TPI) Made CEO of TPI that same year. [I personally avoided Shah due to even Blago finding him too openly corrupt]

Mid-90's: Standard Vencap corporate raiding, builds up services around financial processing. Branches out to insurance underwriting.

Post-9/11: He's head of GTC Golder Rauner/GTCR, depending upon the regulatory agency. Spearheads the purchase of Verifone in 2002. Key for future to note, William Atkinson is made SVP of Business Development at Verifone.

Mid-2000's: Acquires a NY Coin Laundry service for their DBI#.

2006: Raises underwriting fees on megayacht re-insurance due to consequences of climate change.

2006-2009: Realizes the money in defense contracting. GTCR founds Six3 Systems of Fairfax, VA in late 2009 to get a sweet piece of that warrentless wiretapping money [SIA I & SIA II contracting]

2009: Six3 acquires BIT Systems
2009: Six3 acquires Harding Security
2010: GTCR purchases Protection One, Inc. for $348 mil actual price/reported $828 mil IRS expenses.
Oct 9, 2010: GTCR's Six3 Systems Inc. acquired Novii Design LLC.

2011: Rauner was able to purchase the management fees of the Pennsylvania Retirement System for 2011-2014, which paid around $16-20 mil in management fees. This, after cutting two checks for $300k to the Penn. Governor's reelection campaign. In addition, the state has put about 400 mil of its funds under his control to invest at-will. Now, he's had a few rulings against him for his willingness to violate his fiduciary duty w/r/t GTCR's Fund VI-Fund VIII, so he doesn't really have a grest track record with managing public funds for public return rather than private profit.

So in Oct. 2012, Rauner resigned from his Chair on GTCR, but not from his stake nor his positions in its insurance, intelligence, defense, and bond holding companies. In 2012, if you'll recall, it was the time when Atkinsin had Aon PLC cut a $100k contribution towards the funding of the Commercial Club's pro-downgrade lobbying campaign of Illinois state debt. Why, you ask? Several big reasons.

1. Although I'm trying to research the exact amount, Rauner was losing money by having the state's insurance costs so low, and Quinn had been making steady process and correcting Blago's debthole of mismanagement.

2. Scrutiny which followed thr Rendell bribe, and forensic examination of contract handling for a few hundred mil from the California Teacher Retirement Fund, found that Rauner ain't doing poo poo besides using the funds' losses to reshore his Israeli/Swiss bank capital.

3. As a "No, gently caress you," the FY2013 Budget raised taxes while the FY2014 moved $650 mil from non-general (managed asset) funds to the general funds, with a law requiring 18 months for repayment--by Jan 2016 at the latest.

So in response, Rauner goes all-in on the "No, really, gently caress you pleb," with GTCR's defense holdings tossed through a few shells to CACI International. I guarantee that The Electronic On-Ramp, Inc., Plantiff v. The US, Defendant, No. 12-22C, USCFC 104 Fed. Cl. 151; 2012 didn't help, especially as it was seen as a "No, I'm the Chief, now gently caress you." in retaliation for Rauner's support of Romney.

So here we are, with one candidate who wants to privitize all employee pension systems in Illinois and make the state right-to-work, all because a currier wasn't let through a security gate at the Virginia complex. A bit oversimplification, but really, Rauner stands to make over a billion from winning Governor, if not using it as a launchpad to Veep before the dtate implodes under his $10bil FY2016 deficit (with publicly stated tax rollbacks included). I may have missed some parts about ADM in early 2012 and Rauner's management of some...ah, more shady foreign and youth development dealings, but there you go. Hope you're ready for the clusterfuck that'll be our November.

Edit: Forgot to mention the 2013 sale of Six3 to CACI International. Long enough after the 2012 GTCR resignation to claim he had no part/idea of what was going on, in case Rauner pursues his national ambitions. Good luck unwinding that web of corporate holdings/shells/preferred stock/common stock, though.

Edit2: 2014, not 2024. And oops did mention sale; yeah, pretty sure it was just common shares and none of the preferreds set to balloon within the family trust/roths.

And look, he drawed you a picture.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 7, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Warning: All of that should be taken as artistic opinion and not necessarily reflective of fact. At this point in time, please consider it conjecture. I'm still trying to look up re-insurance disclosure law, and would be very appreciative if anyone could talk more about it. If there are specific questions, I'd be happy to answer via PM.

Further, Mr. Shah is of the highest moral character. Mr. Blagojevich is appealing his conviction. Mr. Rauner would never use his private interests for political gain.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

As if that weren't bad enough Rauner also likes to kill little old ladies in his spare time.

quote:

Trans Health was created by Rauner and his fellow GTCR principles in 1998 for the sole purpose of acquiring nursing homes around the country, and Bennett's 2006 memo advised employees that Trans Health would remain majority-owned by Rauner's GTCR.

You can read the entire internal memorandum here.

Despite the optimistic tone of the March 30, 2006, memorandum, within a few years Trans Health would be rendered little more than an empty shell. The company would seek bankruptcy protection in the face of massive jury verdicts for wrongful death and abuse. By that time Rauner and his fellow GTCR partners had walked away and abandoned the disaster they allegedly created.

Now that he's been called out on the issue in the campaign, Rauner cries crocodile tears for the victims. But there's no evidence Rauner ever lifted a finger at GTCR once he learned of the problems. And don't forget that Rauner chaired GTCR while all of this was going on. Rauner presumably continued to personally profit from his firm's nursing-care vehicles, but he now tries to tell us any problems were all the fault of lower-level officials, whom his firm hired and, in most cases, continued to keep in place.

The fact is that Rauner and his small club of fellow GTCR partners controlled these long-term-care facilities through outright ownership and/or through management-service contracts. And as we previously wrote, in a 2004 interview Rauner himself acknowledged that he was personally involved in management/labor negotiations with SEIU on behalf of Trans Health.
Ok so he's not Cheneying them, more like letting them die of benign neglect so he can squeeze a few more dollars out here and there.

Also is it just me or do his fellow Republicans not really like him all that much? (Or is this just primary vitriol and they'll rally 'round the flag come November?)

There's also his amazing financial plan for the state.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm still trying to look up re-insurance disclosure law, and would be very appreciative if anyone could talk more about it.
Believe it or not, The BFC subforum of A/T might have the answers you're looking for.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's also this lovely matter:

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/May-2014/Chicago-crime-rates/

quote:

Chicago has learned that the city’s inspector general has questioned the accuracy of the police department’s crime statistics. A spokeswoman confirmed that the office recently finalized an audit of the police department’s 2012 crime data—though only for assault-related crimes so far—“to determine if CPD accurately classified [these categories of] crimes under its written guidelines and if it reported related crime statistics correctly.” (The audit found, among other things, that the department undercounted aggravated assaults and batteries by more than 24 percent, based on the sample cases reviewed.)

Meanwhile, the see-no-evil, hear-no-evil pols on Chicago’s City Council have mostly accepted the police department’s crime numbers at face value. So have most in the media. You can hardly turn on the news without hearing McCarthy or Mayor Rahm Emanuel proclaiming unquestioned: Murders down 18 percent in 2013! Overall crime down 23 percent! Twelve thousand fewer crime victims! “These days, everything is about media and public opinion,” says one longtime officer. “If a number makes people feel safe, then why not give it to them?”

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sadly I live in the corn desert so that's about the extent of my choices in the election.
Au contraire mon frere. You can vote for the equally meh safe focus-group tested Ann Callas over Rodney Davis in the 13th House district.

quote:

Davis is a member of the National Republican Campaign Committee's Patriot program.[6][7] According to a Washington Post article in December 2012, Davis is one of the 10 most vulnerable incumbents in 2014.[8]
Your vote may even matter! Seriously Davis is a goddamn vat-grown Republican clonedidate who has never held a private sector job in his life (even his McDonalds job in high school was at the franchise his parents owned). He is a walking, talking rubber stamp for Republican policies.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

There's also this lovely matter:
Seconding that article. Quite the eye-opener on how to lie with statistics.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Rahm is gonna be hizzoner for 30 years and then his son will be in charge for another 20, FYI.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He doesn't have the pull with the Chicago machine; Rahm's a carpetbagger in every sense of the word.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Pretty much everyone except his rich buddies in finance hate him and even before the whole "Cloudy With a Chance of Bullets" thing he was pretty disliked. When you gently caress with teachers and close schools so that you can replace them with your charter school buddies, you aren't going to generally engender much love.

Mayor 1% isn't exactly an endearing nickname.

I'll probably vote Green for governor as Quinn and Rauner are both horrible regressive shitbags.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 7, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

He doesn't have the pull with the Chicago machine; Rahm's a carpetbagger in every sense of the word.

Madigan could've had it, if the internals hadn't made her back down.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Madigan could've had it, if the internals hadn't made her back down.

I read an opinion piece stating that A.G. Madigan's political prospects are severely hampered by her father's politicking. I don't know enough about the situation to know if this is true, but given every other awful thing about my state it sounds plausible.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Oracle posted:

Au contraire mon frere. You can vote for the equally meh safe focus-group tested Ann Callas over Rodney Davis in the 13th House district.
Your vote may even matter! Seriously Davis is a goddamn vat-grown Republican clonedidate who has never held a private sector job in his life (even his McDonalds job in high school was at the franchise his parents owned). He is a walking, talking rubber stamp for Republican policies.

Nah, I'm in 16th. I'm stuck with Kinzinger. Uuuuugh.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

I read an opinion piece stating that A.G. Madigan's political prospects are severely hampered by her father's politicking.
Her adoptive father, Mike Madigan, is probably the most powerful politician in Illinois. He runs the Assembly (Speaker of the House) and is the Democratic Chair for the state party, and is responsible for drawing the legislative district maps in the state every census. My guess is she just plain can't run because it'll put the spotlight on dear old dad's career and she doesn't want her father to end up in prison.

Lots of interesting little tidbits and stories on Mike's wikipedia page. Gives a little microcosm of how politics in Illinois is done (pay attention to the section on the war between him and Blago).

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

Mike Madigan is the most powerful politician in Illinois. He runs the Assembly (Speaker of the House) and is the Democratic Chair for the state party, and is responsible for drawing the legislative district maps every map in the state every census.

Fixed it like Madigan.

Re:Kinzinger, he's quite the lovely shitbag when you look beyond his :iamafag: face. Literally. [Ask] me about manure run-off and stream die-off.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Every Republican officeholder south of 80 is a lovely shitbag good ol' boy networked racist as hell sumbitch though, so that's not saying much.

Speaking of which, what was the scuttlebutt around Tim Johnson's suddenly finding himself needing to spend time with his family a few years back? That seemed to have come out of the blue and yet things were strangely silent. Was someone going to break a story about certain bad habits?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 7, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oracle posted:

Every Republican officeholder south of 80 is a lovely shitbag good ol' boy networked racist as hell sumbitch though, so that's not saying much.

Not every Republican south of 80 stifles IEPA investigations while boasting when taking new superfund $. Some are even smart enough to join the right party.

E: I'll go for low blow: He liked the Colts too much. Serious response, I can only guess Republican politics. Heard he wasn't supported by their side, haven't heard any rumors besides how he's 'weird' in the same way you'd use the term for Foster's personality.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 7, 2014

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sirota's got a nice lil investigative piece on Rahm's using TIF money to enrich his corporate buddies and campaign contributors.

Run, Karen, run!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

My Imaginary GF posted:

E: I'll go for low blow: He liked the Colts too much. Serious response, I can only guess Republican politics. Heard he wasn't supported by their side, haven't heard any rumors besides how he's 'weird' in the same way you'd use the term for Foster's personality.

Wait, you mean he cheered for the Colts over da burrs in Superbowl XLI?!? I'd rather vote for :hitler:!!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The rumor I heard from a friend of a friend who used to waitress at a local establishment near his office is that he was caught by another server in the bathroom of said local establishment in flagrante delicto with some white substance that was probably not powdered sugar.

Granted this was a long time ago (probably like 8 years ago) and probably not the reason for his abrupt departure.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Perhaps he'd been hanging out with Palin too much, Oracle.

Effortpost on deciding who to fund

As the saying goes, 'All politics is local,' so lets discuss state demographics and targeting outreach and funding for party organizations. The D's run this state as a more a parliamentary coalition than the project of any one interest (Madigan has his men, Cullerton his). I say this, as Rauner has pretty much opened the spigot to unlimited funding for the R's as a vehicle for his personal ambition. If you can show a plan to him thats more cost-effective at GOTV with an eye towards 2016, I've heard you'll find a funding source soon enough.

Now, this thread is prompted by a desire to explain why some judgeships and state/local parties get funded ahead of others. Simply put, its a matter of demographics, business, and return on investment. Now, lets compare between DeKalb, Champaign, and Will Counties. I use these three to stand in for examples rural, collar, and semi-rural party dynamics. DeKalb and Will are in Chicago's broadcast market for commercial rates, while Champaign is in Indianapolis'. Broadcast market is one of the most significant factors in examining the cost/benefit of funding local party infrastructure. Individuals tend to compare district maps with demographic composition; politicians tend to compare broadcast markets before drawing district maps.

DeKalb has a population of 107k, with its namesake town holding around 40k and Sycamore 17k. The county is 80% white, 11% hispanic, 7% black, and 3% asian. Of this, 7% are foreign born, with a weighted distribution towards hispanic slightly above state average. So, of potential eligible voters, the county is 7% black, 3% asian, and 90% white. Note, weighting comes from combination VAN pull and Census estimates. Estimate includes exclusion for incarceration and non-eligible immigration status (which tends to disproportionately impact hispanic over asian demographics [depending upon nation of origination--the quick rule I use for Illinois is: philipinos more than vietnamese; vietnamese more than chinese; chinese more than indian; indian more than japanese: japanese more than korean; korean more than persian]).

Now, you've got 1/5th of the county under-18, 166 persons per square mile, and the county is in the Chicago broadcast market. Note that the county is disproportionately representative of 19-24 year olds due to the presence of NIU. Roughly 80% of individuals retain residence at the same prpperty for over a year, a good proxy for 'college students registered to vote elsewhere.' Most registered voters attending NIU maintain permanent residence outside DeKalb County and are registered to vote elsewhere. State absentee ballot requests by county and municipality/voting precinct demonstrate this fact and highly correlate to percentage of county permanent residential registered voters.

Tl;dr on DeKalb County's registered voters: Mostly white, aging demographics. The group factors which lean strongest D [black, social liberal, jewish, youth] have permanent residences in non-rural collar counties. With the county receiving Chicago ad buys, it is therefore cost-inefficient to finance local party infrastructure.

Now compare those factors to Champaign County. 204k population with county seat in Urbana. Split between 2 Congressional districts: 2 R's in one Lean D, one Strong R. Hosts UIUC and is in Indianapolis' media market. Comparable initial demographic composition to DeKalb county: roughly 75% white, 13% black, 10% asian and 6% hispanic. Only 70% of individuals in the county maintain the same residence for over a year. Roughly 201 persons per square mile. Of this, Champaign has 82k and Urbana 41k residents, for a total of 123k/204k county residents. Doing a quick VAN pull of registered voters, about 37k maintain registration outside the county. While the county has 12% foreign born residents, asian issues have more weight in registered voters than hispanic.

Now to compare cost-effectiveness: Indianapolis media buys impact primarily within the state of Indiana, and Champaign certainly isn't Indiana. What gets someone to vote D in Illinois may reduce D voter turnout in Indiana. So, to avoid loving with your national party efforts, your party's regional coordinator tends to ensure that the greatest return on investment is produced for these interstate media buys. There is less national funding for media buys in the Indianapolis market designed to impact Champaign County, which means that the primary turnout mechanism must be accomplished through...non-media buys. Or, as I put in the USPol thread,

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is whats been done in Illinois and how I got into politics. The really successful sub-state candidates are the ones who throw the best 4th of July BBQs, best labor day beer tents and free food, send Thanksgiving turkeys and annual Christmas cards, invite folks to a New Year's Gala ($100 starting ask, minimum $15 hard), and fund a few kegs on Memorial Day. Even then, all the kegs in the world can't save you from extreme events like the Tea Party wave in 2010; however, they will get you an appointment should you lose your seat.

Maybe it would be cheaper if you could just buy votes, it certainly wouldn't spread the economic growth of campaigning throughout the year.

Now, Will County. Inner collar county of Chicago, connected to the loop via four Metra corridors and 4 interstates (:shh: 5 and 5 :shh:). 680k population, 65% white, 16% hispanic, 12% black, 5% asian. Population distribution over wide area: 810 persons per square mile, concentrated in several dense transit corridors. Split up between 6 Congressional districts: 2R, 4D, four solid D, one Solid R, one genuine swing (weak candidate+incumbency bonus makes it look Strong R on the outside). Note that the 2R Congressionals are shared with DeKalb County. County seat in Joliet, pop. 150k. Joliet is the fastest growing city in Illinois, with a good third of its population of hispanic ethnicity. Will also contains parts of Aurora, Naperville, and several of the X-Park south suburbs like Tinley and Orland. Will is firmly in the Chicago media market; issues impacting D voters in Chicago positively impact D voter turnout in the 6 congressional districts of Will, so there is national will for synergistic media buys.

There is also a well-organized (read: well funded and impactful) Democratic party at the county level in Will. Several factors for this: the county board is firmly in D control, 8 Canadian energy pipelines meet in the county, township-level D parties are able to self-fund the majority of their events and rely upon synergistic effects to enhance turnout. Therefore, funding the county-party in Will turns out 3-4 D points for state and national elections which would not have been achieved without party infrastructure. During low-turnout years, this produces a difference between 25,000 and 40,000 D ballots, and is one of the fundamental reasons why Quinn was re-elected.

Local organizing: a product of demographics, media market rates, and railroads.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Speaking of railroads, where's my goddamn high-speed rail already?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Is the Anti-Violence money laundering investigation looking like it's going to be enough to put Quinn into federal prison? If not, Illinois should reelect him and give him enough rope to hang himself with. Gotta keep this hot streak of felon governors going.

Is the rest of Illinois as terrible as the Greater St. Louis part of the state?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the thread, I should probably care more about state and local politics. So what's wrong with our Green party?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

Is the rest of Illinois as terrible as the Greater St. Louis part of the state?

Its a political investigation. In this state, its more important to look at what agencies don't get investigated to determine the real corruption. The ones who do get investigated aren't corrupt.

Like Metra. Or IDOT. Or Chicago's TIF approval committee. Or the Lincoln museum board. Or U of I trustees. Or CTA's board. You won't see anyone run against them, publicly. No, most politicians understand the game and don't want to end up in a bridge. Some understand, try to win, and end up slumped over a pizza.

The rest of Illinois works. Your area is like a suburb of Detroit: You exist because people fled from St. Louis. If you want more money from the state, join the party and turn out regularly. Your area doesn't even get a multimodal stop on the Amtrak from downtown to St. Louis. Compare that with Bloomington-Normal, or Champaign, or even Joliet, or hell, Carbondale. Even Carbondale's Amtrak station is technically a multi-modal transit center. There is, legally, a taxicab depot within a block, opening up some very good federal funding streams.

Soonmot posted:

Thanks for the thread, I should probably care more about state and local politics. So what's wrong with our Green party?

Anti-nuclear.

E: Also, don't you Greens have your highest elected official in the state right now? Or did you forget Simon? :v:

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 11, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Well the dems aren't exactly pro-nuclear either, so that's really a non issue for me until they get their poo poo together. Again, I haven't followed local stuff very closely at all, so please correct me, but the Greens are socially progressive and anti-corporate, right? If I'm golf to throw my vote away, I want to make sure it's going to the party that I'm closer in alignment with.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
This seems like a good place to ask a question I've been stewing over which is tangentially related to the state of education in Illinois and some of the political issues going on in Chicago and the state at large. I live in northern Illinois a short distance from Iowa and am going to graduate from college with a degree in education soon, I'm planning on getting a license to teach in both Iowa and Illinois since it will allow me to apply to more places. However there is a second reason that I am getting two licenses, and that is the big kerfuffle going on over state employee pensions. Is there good reason to be a little bit paranoid about having a pension pulled out from under my rear end after 10 or 20 years if I teach in Illinois?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I lived in Chicago for most of my life until about 6 months ago when I moved for a new job. Rahm is scum, the absolute worst Democrat that there is. His school and pension cuts are disgusting enough but at the same time he is preserving all his corporate buddies subsidies and his own personal slush fund. He looks like the perfect picture of a slimy dirtbag to boot. I really hope somebody can beat him. Republicans are garbage but voting for one would be tempting if they were running against Rahm.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

The rest of Illinois works. Your area is like a suburb of Detroit: You exist because people fled from St. Louis. If you want more money from the state, join the party and turn out regularly. Your area doesn't even get a multimodal stop on the Amtrak from downtown to St. Louis. Compare that with Bloomington-Normal, or Champaign, or even Joliet, or hell, Carbondale. Even Carbondale's Amtrak station is technically a multi-modal transit center. There is, legally, a taxicab depot within a block, opening up some very good federal funding streams.

Oh good lord I need to clarify; I am not from the Illinois part, I lived in St. Louis and had to frequently go to Illinois side St. Louis and its suburbs, and, my God. Just one of the worst places I've been. I mostly follow Illinois politics because I think corruption is awesome.

Dave Weigel said that Rahm is likely to be extremely well funded this primary season. Is being a complete sack of poo poo really enough to undo him in Chicago? As I understand it, the last mayor before him had to quit because he pissed people off by selling out the parking system (among other dumb poo poo), but has Rahm committed any high crimes or misdemeanors as grand as that? That seems to be what is needed to lose what has historically been somewhat of a Rule for Life position such as mayor of Chicago.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Jagchosis posted:

Dave Weigel said that Rahm is likely to be extremely well funded this primary season. Is being a complete sack of poo poo really enough to undo him in Chicago? As I understand it, the last mayor before him had to quit because he pissed people off by selling out the parking system (among other dumb poo poo), but has Rahm committed any high crimes or misdemeanors as grand as that? That seems to be what is needed to lose what has historically been somewhat of a Rule for Life position such as mayor of Chicago.

There's potential for him to lose if someone known actually stands to run against him. Maybe he's more of a Blandic than a Daley. Daley seemed to have a way to have people come around to him, but Rahm just has pissed off everyone, and there's no way he'll pick up nearly as many votes as he did the first time around given all the loving with schools and mental health clinics he's done. Maybe we'll get a runoff.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Clouseau posted:

There's potential for him to lose if someone known actually stands to run against him. Maybe he's more of a Blandic than a Daley. Daley seemed to have a way to have people come around to him, but Rahm just has pissed off everyone, and there's no way he'll pick up nearly as many votes as he did the first time around given all the loving with schools and mental health clinics he's done. Maybe we'll get a runoff.

Rahm is king of the backroom. He's under enormous pressure to privitize all the city's pensions, and his refusal to do so is partly a driving factor for Rauner's run. There's also bond issues, with Rahm and Durbin the most effective at stopping further reinsurance rate increases.

Daley wasn't out because of the parking deal. The parking deal got so much publicity because it was time for Daley to get out. Maggie's hwalth decline was a huge contributing factor in this.

Everyone in the loop knows how much of an rear end in a top hat Daley can be. Hell, he stopped a needed grand bridge, designed as an architectural crown jewel, solely because it'd stand between his view of the lake from his dentist's office. Downtown ain't happy bout that, its bad for business, bad for optics. That parking contract getting that much play? Its a signal that the backroom wasn't holding back the editors from Daley any more. Anyone with a little clout knows the free parking in the loop; private meters don't impact the downtown crowd or their staff.

For comparison, take a look at the Metra 'corruption' investigation. If you want to look at real patronage there, see who's kids get hired for Metra's 'Summer Internship' program. Look at fuel delivery rates. Look at how homicides get classified by railway police and whom they're reported to. On second thought, don't look too deep unless you wanna end up in a bridge.

People ask when they're gonna get high-speed rail. I tell 'em to ask Buffet. He's got a good answer (read: gently caress Japan).

Jagchosis posted:

Oh good lord I need to clarify; I am not from the Illinois part, I lived in St. Louis and had to frequently go to Illinois side St. Louis and its suburbs, and, my God. Just one of the worst places I've been. I mostly follow Illinois politics because I think corruption is awesome.

The folks funding the race know that Rahm is the only thing between them and Council Wars Episode 2: A New Hope. Chicago can be run by a black business insider, but an angry black woman contorting with labor? We know what happened the last time a mayor tried to clean up the city. He was dead soon after. When I hear the same general outline from a billionaire, a millionaire, a made man, a political scientist, and a former cabinet member on how it went down, I tend to give the rumor credit. Especially after looking into the coroner's family connections and contracts. I don't doubt that Rahm is the best of all the worst choices to be Hizzonah right now, and money knows just how true and hosed over it'd be otherwise. No, Daley was out for 2 reasons: Maggie was dying and Obama wanted Rahm gone without a dose of the fallout that reshuffling during healthcare reform would've been spun as. Rahm is more an LBJ figure than anyone openly credits. Just ask him about certain hallachik issues at temple, they're a good proxy for his personal positions on healthcare and taxes.

Regarding the IL side of StL: when I lived in Missourah, I used to go predawn jogging evrry morning at Cahokia. Its a true world wonder and I highly recommend taking a day to visit and walk the grounds.

Illinois is a railroad state, and railroad states are built on corruption. Without Lincoln's 'less than legal' land deals, he'd never been elected President. Honest graft is what keeps Illinois from becoming Missourah. Missourah seems to have forgotten that lesson, and the riots speak just how much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

We know what happened the last time a mayor tried to clean up the city. He was dead soon after. When I hear the same general outline from a billionaire, a millionaire, a made man, a political scientist, and a former cabinet member on how it went down, I tend to give the rumor credit. Especially after looking into the coroner's family connections and contracts.

Are you talking about Harold Washington? Cause if the Political Scientist is who Im thinking of, after taking his class and reading his books his death was due to stress of being the first black (and technically 'anti-machine' aswell) mayor of the city and not due to foul play.