Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
The receipt is dated for August 30th of 1972.

The Piggy bank has a lot of something in it, but it doesn't jingle like change, something sloths around in there like cloth.

Tsarevna turns off the radiator and notices something hanging off of the adjacent building. It looks like a camera pointed straight for Kay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Greta Vogel

"If Cindy OKs it, I'd definitely like a look at those accounts. It's hard to tell now, but I can only assume that Kay was the one receiving the payments; deaths don't recoup losses, but killing one's creditor does tend to end one's obligations. Given his abilities, Kay could have been a very effective blackmailer."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"With how big this seems and how little we were aware of any of it, asking around isn't the worst idea Hans." Tsarevna admits. "Knowing more than we do right now isn't too much of a stretch." She continues, peering out the window above the radiator.

"Very effective. That is why we employed him to enforce the compact." She agrees with Greta. "But blackmail? That… makes some sense, but Kay? He never seemed the type. Not to mention that if he found a use for his eyes that got him money, why would he still be a depressive alcoholic trying to gouge them out again?" She shakes her head. "I don't know. Perhaps the accounts will help clear it up."

She takes a strategic step backwards, out of the way of the windows. "We are also being watched." She tells the sheriffs, nodding towards the window. "There is a camera mounted on the next building over, aimed directly at us. Kay was under observation." She looks around at the group. "Any of you know about electronics?"

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Hans Fruchtlos

"You're kidding, right Evna? I can barely work my cassette player. Though if he's been watched, there has to be a reason behind that. And I doubt it's a good one. People don't set up security cameras just to keep an eye on an old pal."

Hans examines the camera through the window.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 10, 2014

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

"Oof!" She says as the objects are stuffed into her hands, "I know a little bit about electronics, I might be able to help, though not sure how much aft- Oh poo poo!" She says stumbling toward the window with her full hands, the piggy bank crashes on to the floor into a thousand pieces. "gently caress." Ella says, as she gathers all the items from the floor again and looks at the newly broken piggy bank that had moments before contained what sounded like a few cloths.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Greta Vogel

"I don't like the idea very much either, Tsarevna," Greta replied, "but it's the only thing I can think of that would make this much money change hands. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. As for electronics, I'm afraid I don't know very much at all..."

She trailed off, wincing at the sound of the crash. Was it too much to ask that evidence not be destroyed until forensics required it?

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"I don't know anything about el…" She briefly answer Hans and Greta, before the sound of the piggy bank smashing stop her in her tracks. Tsarevna just stares at the broken evidence Ella just decorated the floor with. "Bozhe moi…"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The Piggy bank shatters and a puff of wind goes out in all directions. In front of you where it was broken is an assorted pile of gold and cash. There was very clearly more in that piggy bank than it was capable of holding.

Hans notices that the Camera is pointed towards Kay's window, centered on where he was sitting. part of the camera's view is obscured by an American flag that hangs off the side of the building. You'll have to get closer to discern anything else.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

And now she instead stares at Ella. It was not a happy glare. "I am starting to see why you were removed from the Thirteenth Floor, Elphaba." She levels at the witch, very cold but also very cross. "An enchanted piggy bank to stow his money. So… he received money through the credit union, and took what he withdrew and put it in his piggy bank." Tsarevna guesses, something that is punctuated by a heavy shrug. "Checking these accounts really should be our first avenue of investigation."

But now they had not one body bag, not one bucket of skull, but also a huge pile of money and gold to haul down to the Business Office. "Well. This is going to be subtle now, isn't it?" She comments, again glaring at Ella. But Tsarevna was not one to complain, she was one to complain while attending to matters at hand. So she goes to the bed and pulls the duvet away from the cover, leaving her with a bare duvet and an empty duvet cover. Or, if you liked, bag.

She shoves it into Ella's hands. "Pick it up."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

There is a moment of pause as Ella is pushed to her absolute limits, a bright blush across the face as she looks at Tsarevna at first with a mouth agape. Tsarevna continues to talk, but Ella hears none of it as she is publicly humiliated. The duvet is shoved to her chest and she takes a step back, her head spinning with just pure vile rage. It seemed like the room spun as she was ordered to pick up the money.

"I am- I was-" She fumbled for words as her eyes started to change color, "I am not a maid! I am perfectly able to understand my mistakes and correct them. Is that what would finally please you? Should I wear the outfit and cook your meals and clean your chimney. Maybe sweep every other week when you got bored? I am not a slave, and I will have you know-" She gulps for air and snatches the back and throws it on the ground, "You can not order me around like a servant." Ella was gasping for air.

"What would you know about the 13th floor? You stomp around here cursing our name, but using them all the same. Everyday, you don't have to use glamour to just exist is a day you should prize. I have helped them more than your brash and clumsy swings ever could, you dig? So don't you speak to me of that. You are a fool if you think you know the first thing why I no longer above us in that... PRISON." She is panting and shivering a bit, her wand is in her hand and she looks at it.

It takes a lot of effort to put it back in her jacket, for that brief moment she considered turning to her old ways, and it felt like the longest moment of her life.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Hans Fruchtlos

"Okay, I'm going to be honest here, everyone needs to calm the gently caress down. We will get nowhere by bickering around. Ella, you're still kinda green... uh, no pun intended, and you need to try a bit harder. Evna, please lay off of Ella a bit. Can you honestly say that you were amazing when you first started on the force?"

Hans is pretty much at the end of his rope here. The bickering is driving him a bit crazy.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

She waves at Hans dismissively, "I will pick up the money right now, then I will go look at the camera across the street once we are done here. I might know something on it. I did work in a club for a while you know." She was calm now as she stashes all the money in the bag quickly. Stopping to make sure that every single penny and doubloon was stuffed in the coverlet. "Anything else for me to do?" Ella said looking straight in Tsarenva with a withering glare.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 11, 2014

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Johannes Hummel

"The thirtieth, what a shame that. I was hoping it'd be something more recent so we could figure out the last time anybody'd seen him. Probably could still bear a look though."

Johannes pushed himself carefully to his feet and folded the handkerchief carefully before offering it to Greta. He made his way towards the pile of lucre and with a grunt took a knee and began to help gather it up as well.

"We'll go together Ella. And afterwards you can help me with Charming and Olga, does that sound fair?"

One last roll to go over the room? Wits+Investigation is what I've got. I'll be down for scoping out the scene across the street and applying some advanced investigation rolls there as well once we're done here. Also the calendar says that the 30th was a Wednesday so it's possible he was killed over the weekend.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 11, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You have found all there is to find. Where would you like to follow up?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Greta Vogel

Once Kay was bundled as he could be, Greta stripped off her work gloves and wrapped them in a cloth before returning them to her pocket. She accepted Johannes's offer of a handkerchief with a grateful nod, dabbing at a few places where the gloves hadn't quite covered. Once they were back to the Woodlands, she'd wash up properly. "Thank you, Johannes. I'll launder this. ... and yes, let's keep calm and work the case. Kay has to be our focus right now. Are you two set on Charming and Olga? If so, I'll work the ledgers once Kay's where he needs to be."

Greta's first priority is going to be scouring the ledgers, working with the credit union and whoever else might be necessary to try and tag the accounts in question.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"Please." Tsarevna looks over to Hans. "You have seen me when I am not calm, Hans. Ella having a shouting match with herself hardly means I'm not calm." She then looks to the witch, matching her glare. "Go with Johannes." She tells her, after the tailor extends the offer.

Things looking like they were finishing up, Tsarevna bends down and effortlessly picks up Kay's swaddled corpse. And the smaller bundle containing the remnants of his skull. And, once Johannes and Ella were done filling it up, the bedsheet full of treasure. "If you have your courses of action, I will go and take all this to Cinderella, then." Tsarevna carries the unwieldy bags in such a way that she might just be carrying one large, big unwieldy thing. "Get the formalities underway, secure permissions for our investigation, all that jazz." As she moves to exit the apartment, a shimmer rolls over her arms and the body and bag of treasure seem to get replaced with an ornate, Baroque vanity table.

Going to the business office to talk to cinderella, and whatever evidence people dont need I'll take with me too. I don't know if you still don't want us to roll here or what but I'm going to weave an illusion around the body and bag of gold and everything really, so it seems like I am just lugging around fancy furniture for Cindy. gotta keep this on the DL for now.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

Handing over the items to Tsarevna, she wordlessly, looks at Johannes and nods quietly. Tsarevna's comments gets a death glare, but no further response to the Rus. Ella knew that no matter what she said it was going to turn against her now. "Follow me, then, Tailor." Ella walks off coldly and out of the door before Tsarevna can wrap everything up. Storming through the building, she goes to the elevator and holds it open, tapping her foot impatiently.

Calling out to Johannes, "Come along now."

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

"Buffkin my friend, I was hoping you could do two favors for me." Johannes placed a hand on the flying monkey's shoulder as he passed the doorway, "Let Mr. Charming and Olga know that we need to interview them regarding the details of this case. When they come in put them in separate rooms and make sure to lock Charming's once he's situated."

He nodded towards the wrapped corpse being hauled away by Tsarevna.

"Keep an eye on Kay's corpse for me too. You're the best and most trustworthy person for the job. In return after all this is over we'll come back and I'll help you raid Kay's liquor stash until you're too drunk to fly, yes?"

Don't think I need to roll but I could probably Persuade the hell out of that monkey if I needed to. Otherwise away we get! Team Johella investigating across the street. :giggity:

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Across the street is a hodgepodge of fable owned businesses. The business that shares the window with the camera mounted above it is particularly familiar to one of you.

The large open office only has a few employees, and the walls are littered with diagrams and constellations with relevant information. Lots and lots of large boxes are hung on the walls with either "Work order" or "Out" labeled on them. In the back a well built man in an undersized lab-coat works away filling out a lot of paperwork, he looks up and sees you and looks frustrated. He pulls out a cigarette and breathes it in deep.

He stares straight at Johannes.

"Brother, how are you doing? What is it that has turned you up after all these years? Surely it's to ask for forgiveness for abandoning your family on your own adventures just as your father needed you most? It would have been nice to see you at the funeral, but I guess you were too busy being the star all on your own. Luckily that whole amnesty thing was quite convenient in absolving you of being a cold hearted bastard to your father. But lets see past that, what noble reason do you have to speak to me after a century of the silent treatment?"

mugrim fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 13, 2014

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Hans Fruchtlos

"If we're all done here, I'll get started on interrogations. I'll be at the park if you need me."

With that, Hans leaves and walks in the direction his feet have trod many a time. He's been in the business for a while, and when you've danced with the devil without fear in your heart, you find certain things easier than most.

He approaches the very heart of the woods, pulling a flask from his pocket. But it wasn't for him. Never for him.

He reaches the deepest part of the woods, and examines his surroundings. As bleak and dismal as always. It has to be when the Urbans are buried here.

He pours the flask's contents onto a rough patch of dirt on the ground, filling the air with the scent of whiskey.

"Spirits of blood and blade, taste again the pleasures of the living world! You brought sorrow and fear, and I offer you a temporary respite from the same! Carvin' Jacks, come on out! RISE, YE WICKED, AND HEED MY CALL!"

(Uh, I'm not overstepping my bounds or anything, right? I just thought a mass grave of mythical serial killers was cool...)

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

"Victor."

Johannes inclined his head as he closed the door quietly behind him, his face tight and grim.

"There's been a murder, and some talk about blackmail, secret payments. Your store has a camera pointed conveniently towards the home of the deceased. As Sheriff I need to make a search of this premises, and question your staff."

I suppose I could very well be bluffing here couldn't I? But I'm really good at that.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 14, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Hans

Hans finds a secluded spot and begins the ritual, hoping for the best as these kinds of rituals are rare and often unsuccessful. A swirl of smoke no one else can see rises, and he hears a booming voice throughout his skull.

"Yes?"

Not really, but let's go with it

Johannes

"It would be highly suspicious of me to demand even the simplest warrant, so lets not stop the century long trend of you getting exactly what you want, so have at it."

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Tsarevna

Cindy looks quizzically at you.

"Remodeling?"

Greta needs a long extended action to examine the ledgers and the Credit union won't have an answer instantly. They'll know by late night. In the meantime Greta, where to?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

She smoked on the cigarette drawing deep and long as she looked up at the camera. Her time at the club had given her more experiences with lighting and other abilities than most would have expected. Not that anyone would listen to her! A false slip after being pounded with items had ruined any chance of that. Ella sucked on the smoke and just let herself relax, she had been stress lately, it was hard fitting in.

Bufkin even hated her, and Ella wasn't sure what to do to make it better. Sugar didn't seem to be working, and in general he was annoyed with her. Maybe it was perspective, from her view, she had given up her life and everything with it, so they wouldn't be killed. They had been gunned down toward the end, to end the revolt and free them seemed the best course of action. The wizard had even given her an out with that patsy Dorthy.

"gently caress the old world." She mumbled looking up at the camera and trying to tell what window it was going to or if it wasn't going down into the shop. It had to be drilled in somewhere.

Been really slammed with starting a new position and schedule changing, bare with me. Tweaking the sheet a bit and then rolling!

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
(I'm sorry, we don't have to do this if you don't want. I just thought it'd be cool.)

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

"No." Tsarevna answers blunty, once the door to the Business Office was shut behind her. She had only encountered a couple other people on the way down, but that still made the subterfuge worth the effort. "I thought it best to not alarm anybody on the way here." She explains, as the illusion she weaved fades away again to reveal the body bag, skull bucket, and bag of cash.

"Kay was shot through the head with a large caliber bullet. The mirror in his eye is intact as far as I can tell." She explains to the deputy mayor, walking over to her desk. "He'd been dead approximately a day before Prince Charming found him and called it in. There are no leads on the shooter as of yet. The bullet was deemed unmagical by the witch, though he was being watched by a security camera mounted opposite his apartment window." She holds up the bed sheet, dumping it on Cindy's desk. "I have his effects here, you'll need to sort them out. I have no idea why he has rose petals in a bag, but that along with his journal may still hold evidence."

Tsarevna pulls down on the bag a bit, showing the fortune underneath it. "He also had an enchanted piggy bank that hid thousands of dollars and gold inside." She points out. "And Greta suspects that he may have been involved in an extortion ring, in addition to this his ledger was full of high value transfers through the credit union. Proceeds of crime and assets of the dead go to Fabletown coffers, so you might get a windfall from this." She helpfully points out. "We will need you to authorise our investigation into the money trail."

She hefts up the body again "Where do you want the body?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Greta Vogel

The financial work couldn't be hurried, and with that set in motion, it was time for Greta to join her colleagues in the legwork. The first step was to speak to Kay's closer coworkers, those who knew him on a personal level, as well as any friends and family -- although Greta suspected that would be an empty category. She wasn't sure if Kay had had family in the first place, let alone family that had successfully made the Exodus, and friends? Someone with Kay's condition was unlikely to find anyone he could stomach. Perhaps Flycatcher. In any event, it was time to figure out who knew Kay well enough to be worth asking about his life and death.

Greta has Contacts (Fabletown Government), if that helps at all. Where would Kay have specifically worked? 13th Floor?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Ella

Ella sees that the camera has a hole drilled in the brick right behind it, leading to Victor's shop.

Ella notices something though. There is a line of flags in a pattern around the Woodlands. The pattern breaks and is interrupted by extra flags right around Kay's door. They are the same as the other flags but appear newer and break the continuity by being grouped so closely together.

Tsarevna

"Kay...The body goes to the 13th floor immediately, the rest too. Let them see what they can pull up from it."

She begins whipping through a Rolodex.

"If Charming knows, then others know too. People are going to be panicked, we need a lead."

She takes a second.

"I'm not telling you how to do your job, you can all do as you see fit to solve this, but it would not hurt for everyone outside of this room to think that we've found a way to put the mirror in someone else's eye already."

Greta

Kay was friends with all the Sheriff's (especially as he was there to let them know if anyone was colluding with the adversary or breaking major crimes), Flycatcher, Charming, and anyone who walked into a bar. He's been far more distant recently and if there wasn't a bullet in the glass and no gun next to him you would not have had trouble assuming he did it himself. He has been in a very dark place recently.

He almost never goes to the 13th floor if he has to, a room full of former child eaters and torturers doesn't work well for his eyes.

Kay used to visit Nurseries on really bad days, but stopped months ago.

Hans

Oh don't worry, keep going forward with it. Ask away.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

"For now a room that I may conduct interviews while Ella continues the investigation out here will suffice."

Johannes waited patiently for Victor and the assistants of the shop to comply before flipping open a notepad and licking the tip of his pen. He stared at the first interviewee, trying to gauge the other's reactions and possible guilt before beginning.

"The Fabletown Compact absolves you of past crimes, but keep well in mind that current or recent ones are fair game. Being an accessory to blackmail and murder is serious business, but if you had your reasons and can help with the investigation I'm not averse to recommending a sentence to the Farm as opposed to exile or corporal punishment. We'll use magic, given the amount of money involved and the severity of the crime, and all guilty parties will be found. Your name and occupation? What do you do here? What do you know about Kay and any secret payments being made to his accounts? And the camera in the window, what about that?"

How do you want to handle it? I could go either way on individual interviews if you want to flesh out secondary characters or just batch roll for the lot with the above questions and a Manipulation(?)+Intimidation(?)/Persuasion roll as appropriate. Questioning the assistants first, and leave Victor for last. Hit em with the Serious Cop speech and see what falls out? Or if we're sticking together Ella could totally go Good Cop and help me out?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

So what I'm getting out of that is that he was very distant and negative recently, but that that was sort of expected behavior from Kay, not anything to be overly alarmed about? Would anyone specific know more and be willing to talk about it? I can roll Contacts if necessary to ferret things out, either for the Fabletown Government or for the local drinkers.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ella

"What could that be." Ella said outloud and put out the cigarette on the ground feeling a lot more calm than when she started. They would take a look at the flags when they go back, but it was obvious the camera was going back into Victor's shop and not a apartment above. He had to know something. Ella decided that the quiet and the cigarette had would help her talk with this subject, despite Tsarevna's aggressive stance toward her, Ella did want help people.

At least this time she was in the system, which wasn't where she wanted to be, but we all gotta make choices in life. Ella figured that buying into the system would at least help her keep where she wanted to be, hell where she needed to be. Doesn't mean she had to love it though.

Opening the door the shop she comes across the threshold as Johannes talks with his brother, "Johannes be easy on Victor." She says as the assistants walk past her, and lean over to Johannes whispering in his ear "The camera is definitely drilled into the back of the shop, he has to know something about it. Might want to keep that in mind, but not tell him." Ella takes a look around the shop looking for the wire, it would have to run along the ceiling at the very least. "I would like to walk around your shop while you are being interviewed. May I?" Ella asks Victor directly.

Um, I will try looking around the shop and come in after the interrogation got harsh, and try to calm him down. Ella kinda wants to determine how much he knows about it first/uses it.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 15, 2014

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

Thirteenth floor. The witches. Tsarevna bites her tongue. "Of course, Deputy Mayor." She acknowledges Cindy, picking the bag of money and evidence back up. "I would feel better if the money were left with you, but the money was also enchanted and hidden away. The witches may be able to piece together who enchanted it." She concedes. And even if she didn't, she was given an order by Cinderella. When she was on the job, she was unwavering in following the will of the Business Office.

She sighs. "No, I don't suppose he would be able to keep it to himself would he?" They both knew Charming better than most people do, and there wasn't really any way he hadn't let the cat out of the bag by now. "Olga was actually the one to find the body, Charming sent her to find Kay. So that is two people, to start with." She explains a little more. "Johannes is in the process of rounding them both up for an interrogation. I couldn't really object to that." Tsarevna lets a little smirk through her otherwise stern expression.

"Leads will be tricky, Deputy Mayor. The shot was taken from mid-air." Tsarevna tells Cindy, hefting the cargo in her arms. "There is nobody to suspect at the moment. Greta thinks that someone Kay was extorting may have assassinated him to end the debt, but until we go through his ledger and the credit union we won't know who they could even be." She smiles confidently. "Just direct any inquires to me, I will handle it. And you will be the first to know once we have some names."

"Your input is always welcome, Deputy Mayor." Tsarevna thinks for a few moments. "…I will intimate that Hans now possesses the mirror. He is a sheriff, and cannot be frightened by what he sees. One wouldn't question it on face value. Or question me." She concludes. The body bag and sack of evidence fades from sight once again, replaces by a similarly sized crate with punctured with several small airholes. A label is stapled on top. 'Caution! Live newts'. "If there is nothing else?"

so that's two verve in total now used for illusions.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Hans Fruchtlos

"Holy poo poo, it worked..." Hans mutters, before starting.

"Blood of a pure soul was spilled in this land. As you are attuned to the veins of this land, and feel when they empty, tell me: Was this vein emptied in Rage? Was it one of impure mind as yours?"

(Basically, he's asking if this was an unplanned killing, and if it was commited by a "Slasher". I find the Hunter terminology works pretty well there. Seriously though, if this is stepping over the line, just say so.)

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Johannes

After an hour of poking around, Johannes finds nothing. The staff is very cooperative and very eager to give any information. Most end up asking you what this is about.

What would you like to tell them?

Victor is ready.

Hans

It's nWoD but none of the nWoD universe is here, but we'll go with it for fun.

"Ah, this is quite the question, what are you willing to do Hans to find what you are looking for? Would you give anything? You give me one wish and I will let you know what you want."

Tsarevna

You arrive to the 13th floor. Beside the door on a simple table is whatever meal Tsarevna would consider her favorite and a note that says "Come in". Groups of women, and some men, surround Cauldrons, beakers, trees, and stones.

A younger woman approaches her. "Ah, A rare visit from the Queen of the West, how can we help you?"

Ella

While Johannes is complete his interviews, Ella pokes around. She finds a lot of doors with a lot of specialized equipment, this place is using a ton of electricity. Off behind a computer panel in a side room she sees wires routed from the outside in. Some quick mental math on her part reveals these to be those of the camera.

Victor begins approaching.

Confront him, quickly go away from it, or whatever option you can think of?

Greta

There might be someone at a nearby bar who might know, "The Trip Trap" or "Golden Goose" might have a clue.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

Waiting outside the door to the Thirteenth Floor was a silver platter, and upon it lay five mother of pearl spoons covered in black caviar. Caviar, being one of the few foods Tsarevna could enjoy as herself or any form she happened to be turned into at the time, was without a doubt one of her favourites. But be it paranoia or be it sage caution, Tsarevna would never eat anything offered to her by a witch. Even today, she didn't dare trust witches. If they had a chance half of them would go back to eating children.

Taking the notes advice to come in, though without having eaten anything, Tsarevna enters the Thirteenth Floor. She hated it here. If she could manage to get by without there being any magic anywhere near her she'd jump at it. One of the younger witches approaches her, and Tsarevna does little more than stare at her. She couldn't tell if she was taking the piss or not.

"Kay was assassinated yesterday." She tells the younger woman, the illusion around her now dropping to reveal the gradually more blood-soaked bags. "Shot in the head with a high-powered bullet, through and through. That witch you had kicked down to my office did not think the bullet itself was enchanted, however." Tsarevna lifts up the bedsheet of money and evidence, and hands it off to the younger woman. By dropping it into her arms. "She managed to break a piggy bank that most definitely was, though. It hid this pile of money inside. Next to the piggy bank was a bag of rose petals, I don't suppose they have any magical use you girls know?"

Left with only the body, she hefts the corpse up rather effortlessly. "The Deputy Mayor would like you and your tovarishes to pull everything you can from the evidence and his body. She wants a lead." She explains. "Do you have somewhere I can lay him down?"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Tsarevna

The young witch looks distraught with the mention of Kay's death.

"Of course."

The younger woman moves Kay's body with preternatural strength.

"Is there anything we should look for? Anything that might help us?"

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Johannes Hummel

"The camera in the window. It's pointed directly at the home of the deceased. Tell me who set it up and why. None of you are suspects at the moment, and hopefully you'll be helpful enough that we can find the real murderers without having to drag anyone in or magically compel them. As possible witnesses any help you give us would be greatly appreciated."

Johannes nods to Ella as he continues the interview, his voice quiet and nonthreatening despite the implied severity of the charges.

"Tell me about anything suspicious you've seen over the last few weeks, last weekend in particular. And Kay. Do any of you know him?"

The camera, anything specifically suspicious lately in the last few weeks, anything pertaining to Kay. They can be super helpful and everybody can take it easy and everybody comes out clean. Or things can go down the other way. I'll stand by my previous implied offer of limited immunity/clemency for material assistance too if it comes to it.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 20, 2014

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Tsarevna

Not without a heart, Tsarevna takes some measure of pity on the young witch. "This is the first murder we have had in Fabletown. It’s hit all of us hard.” She says, and though she didn’t let it show it was true for her as well.

"Kay may have been involved in criminal activity, which would have caused his death.” She tells the witch without spilling too much, handing over the body. “And he may have been observed remotely when he was shot. He was drinking heavily and quite depressed. Besides the bullet Ella is examining, you have all the evidence here.” There really was nothing else to go on at this point of the investigation. “We’re really looking to you witches to maybe shine a light on this. Rose petals we have no idea about. The broken piggy bank was enchanted, you could find out who provided the magic for it. And we need to make sure he still has the mirror shard in his eye.”

Just so things were clear, Tsarevna lays it out. “Whatever you can find, it stays on this floor. You only tell me, and I only tell the Deputy Mayor. Can we agree on that?”

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

She waves her hand around the Rose petals.

"Ah, sentiment. These are all he has of Gerda. There may be more to it."

She collects everything at once.

"We will find what we can."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Well I guess if I'm done here with the body and evidence and stuff, Antivehicular! You wanna team up and go somewhere and crime solve?

• Locked thread