Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

QuantaStarFire posted:

I remember several attempts in the past to make a "Women and Gaming" or "Gaming and Feminism" or some thread along those lines and watching it get relentlessly shitposted to oblivion before being mercifully gassed, so there's that as an example I guess? I dunno, if people knew for certain what sorts of topics were taboo to post about, they might have an easier time thinking of threads to post that won't get horribly mocked.

There's no way any permutation of Minority Perspectives in Gaming can exist on these forums without being nothing but a platform for wretched people to bellow trite catchphrases at each other. There's nothing funny, insightful, or informative that can be derived from any of the kinds of people who would post in a thread like that on these forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

a platform for wretched people to bellow trite catchphrases at each other.
Well, I mean, Imp Zone does fine.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Endorph posted:

Well, I mean, Imp Zone does fine.

Imp Zone is actually funny and entertaining, while two groups of people yelling "Every minority should be in every game and represented like they were in the 90s-era Burger King Kids Club" and "loving cunts, fags, and niggers should just shut up about video games because games aren't for them" back and forth is boring and pathetic.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
In response to posting Gaming News Threads, enforce a Put a half decent opinion/views on the news your posting or get Probated rule? :shrug:
If it's boring uninteresting news with nothing to discuss it's going to get ignored and drop from the pages quick enough. There's not really mass amounts of Gaming news so it will hardly clog the forums like it was in GBS 1.0.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

There's no way any permutation of Minority Perspectives in Gaming can exist on these forums without being nothing but a platform for wretched people to bellow trite catchphrases at each other. There's nothing funny, insightful, or informative that can be derived from any of the kinds of people who would post in a thread like that on these forums.

That thread really earned it's way off the forums. It consisted of a number of tumblr social warrior types who would just shitpile on their chosen victim on the week. It was "arguing in bad faith" the thread. Those people then migrated to the old fenimism thread over in D&D which was enough to finally tip that thread over the edge and get it moved to E/N. :cripes:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

closeted republican posted:

Imp Zone is actually funny and entertaining, while two groups of people yelling "Every minority should be in every game and represented like they were in the 90s-era Burger King Kids Club" and "loving cunts, fags, and niggers should just shut up about video games because games aren't for them" back and forth is boring and pathetic.

There's enough legitimately funny content to make it worth visiting though. Part of the anarchy-like vibe means you'll get some bad content along with it, and that's fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While arguing about the the pressing need to revolutionise the social equality of gaming or whatever may be a worthy and serious thing for the person doing it, it's also really fuckin' boring for everyone else to read.

So on a public forum it's going to get poo poo on. Same goes for other things that are more interesting to the person writing about them than to most of the people reading them.

Like it or not it's still a public internet forum so you're still going to get a load of people calling you a turbonerd if you write a 1000 word OP about some minute aspect of your nerdy hobby.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

QuantaStarFire posted:

I remember several attempts in the past to make a "Women and Gaming" or "Gaming and Feminism" or some thread along those lines and watching it get relentlessly shitposted to oblivion before being mercifully gassed, so there's that as an example I guess? I dunno, if people knew for certain what sorts of topics were taboo to post about, they might have an easier time thinking of threads to post that won't get horribly mocked.

Trying to make threads that treat games as a serious form of media is hopeless, because nerds are threatened by everything that kind of treatment suggests. I don't just mean feminism or anti-racism either (although those are obviously hot-button issues because they translate most directly into THEY BE TAKIN OUR GAMES AWAY paranoia), I mean any topic that would be perfectly at home in a book or film forum is doomed here. It has nothing to do with the validity of those subjects, and everything with the kind of people who post in Games.

That said if it's even possible to fix something like that and it isn't just a natural result of the demographics that play videogames, it's certainly beyond the means of a handful of volunteer mods.

So, setting that aside as an impossible goal, the kind of self-policing Kewpuh describes is a good thing, being allowed to be more critical of games is a good thing, and re-opening YCS 2: YCS Harder indirectly contributes to and tacitly approves of both of those. So things are looking pretty good, considering it's a forum full of loving gamers.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
All I want to say is thank you for letting Games back to the days of being able to call people out on the stupid poo poo they say. Games forum was filling up with kids, sensitive nerds and sensitive mods and it was a sickening padded room full of megathreads in straight jackets for a while.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One thing that definitely owns about the New Games is that stupidly massive megathreads with 100 posts a minute seem to be on the decline. There's a lot less outrage olympics going on too, but it still pops up once and a while in the griefing thread of all places. Then again I only read Imp Zone and the main forum so who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I appreciate that LP subforum is a thing, because it means I never have to look at one. Solving megathreads with a similar ghetto would be pretty sweet, but I am unsure if that would be fun to dig through if I actually needed to read/post in a big megathread for something.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The problem with discussing social issues in gaming is that even if both sides of the argument are being civil, there's nearly no chance that anyone participating will alter their viewpoints on the topic in question. Thus, after both sides make their main points, it becomes more of a performance for the people reading the thread than about actually engaging with the other people posting in the thread. Because of this, the threads quickly become incredibly circular with each side talking past the other.

At that point, the thread will either devolve into a pointless flame war as each side gives up on even the pretext of engagement, or one side will get run out of the thread and it'll become a circlejerk for the side that "won" the argument. At best, both sides will remain civil with each other and the conversation will sputter out as all sides essentially agree to disagree, but even with that, what's been accomplished?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I think that the Games forum has made improvements from a cultural standpoint, but I still find myself reading it far less than I used to. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that Games used to be a great place to gain exposure to games they hadn't heard of, and I felt the same way years ago. Unfortunately, I also feel like this is no longer the case. Whether that's a function of a change in quality threads, my age, or simply less being published, who knows.

I guess I'd love to see more variety in the threads that end up on the first page, but I have no idea how to accomplish that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well we still have "Recommend me a game" thread, right? Or would you rather just kind of stumble upon interesting games instead of actively searching for something like the stuff you already play? Because I could dig a "Games you might want to try" thread.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I wouldn't mind a games you might want to try thread, but isn't that kind of the point of the recommend me one?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

It's more that I used to find a bunch of threads for games in here that I was interested in trying but hadn't already. I could be more active about my search, and I'd probably find something, but eh. I wish I could be more constructive, but I'm having a hard time doing so. Like I said it's entirely possible that my interest in gaming is just waning as I get older.

Or maybe it's that I have terrible taste in games, haha.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mr E posted:

I wouldn't mind a games you might want to try thread, but isn't that kind of the point of the recommend me one?

The recommend me one is more like "Hey I have this game that I've finished but I haven't had my fill, anything else like it?" and less "Hey I think this game is great and everyone should give it a look."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Create games gas chamber and call it LOL DOTA MOBA then move all moba threads there.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I found the op of the new GAMES YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY thread

quote:

Gone Home - If nothing else, this game certainly provokes a lot of debate. In Gone Home, you explore an empty house which is packed with detail - most everything can be picked up and examined, and further informs the story that you're being told. I like Gone Home, because it's a great example of a storytelling method that only videogames are capable of.

Spec Ops: The Line - Another divisive game. Spec Ops starts off like any mediocre shooty war game, and then yanks the rug out from under you a couple of hours in and forces you to rethink things.

The Stanley Parable - I'm just gonna stop saying that games are divisive because it seems like every game with a focus on writing splits people right down the middle. The Stanley Parable can be described as a collection of surreal comedic vignettes which explore and send up the mechanics and idiosyncracies of videogames. There's a lot to discover and think about, and behind the jokes the points being made are often pretty clever, even if the vignettes can be a little hit-and-miss.

The Last Of Us - A good example of a well-written triple-A game. The Last Of Us is a solid enough action game, but the real draw is the development of the interpersonal relationship between Joel and Ellie, which is continually well-explored and has a powerful payoff.

Mass Effect Trilogy - Whether Mass Effect is well-written is very debatable, but it's worth playing because the sheer amount of writing over the course of the three games is impressive, and keeping it reactive and influencable by the player (to whatever extent) is an impressive technical achievement.

Alpha Protocol - The plot is your standard Hollywood spy thriller, but anyone who's played Alpha Protocol can tell you just how good the writing is. The whole game is massively reactive and Mike's decisions and attitudes can dramatically affect the outcome of the game. Every major character is well-realised with full backstories that you can discover, read up on, and even exploit.

The Walking Dead - Some of the best videogame storytelling ever produced, Telltale's five-part Walking Dead series is the perfect zombie game - one with no shooting at all (well, almost none). Instead, the focus is on survival, decision-making and human relationships. The second season is in progress, and I haven't played it, but the first is almost universally critically acclaimed. Warning: this game will make you feel like poo poo and break your heart.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I mean less stuffy recommendations and more "Hey you need to play Vanquish, idiot".

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grump posted:

Here's a question, though:

How come mods acted so loving tyrannical before ~mid 2013? There was a rule to not use dangling participles in GBS at one point. I mean, come the gently caress on. Did you guys feel like you had to do that for Something Awful's image? I was honestly afraid to post half the time on these boards in fear of a ban or probation, but most posts per day count has gone way up recently.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the one probation I have. It's for spoiling text from a 15 year old game that isn't plot crucial.

I'm just really happy SA is a chill place now, okay! :cool:

Jesus, go read this thread if you want complete details of the worst kind of posting. All the responses to you are so goony.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
My least favorite thing about the new laxer style of posting in games (and it's not isolated to games) is when some people who have been posting prime and proper the whole time with correct spelling, caps and punctuations gets called out for making a bad post or posting misinformation and they go into this defensive bitch mode tells with no caps, no periods and bad spelling. Like c'mon dude. C'mon. Anyway good job all around letting posters sort out their arguments.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I dunno, there are still 15 pages mostly filled with single game threads. Most of which have huge OPs explaining why you might want to check out the game. Yeah, the super popular (casual :smugdog:) games tend to dominate the first two or three pages but I've found out about some of my favorite games from threads here.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

All I want to say is thank you for letting Games back to the days of being able to call people out on the stupid poo poo they say. Games forum was filling up with kids, sensitive nerds and sensitive mods and it was a sickening padded room full of megathreads in straight jackets for a while.

This right here. Not every thread or post you make is going to be good or liked, all of us make bad points and good points at different times. What sucked was it was getting to the point I didn't want to respond to anyone; I didn't want to get banned because someone is sensitive about their hobby. You have to be able to accept criticism to accept yourself, I think.

I feel catering to hypersensitivity is a disservice to the posters. It's sort of enabling in a way if this or any forum is just a big hug box. That isn't how the world works, and it probably isn't how the Internet should work either. Catering to the maladjusted is how you end up with actual perverts who think their rights are being stepped on when they can't talk openly about child molestation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

echronorian posted:

This right here. Not every thread or post you make is going to be good or liked, all of us make bad points and good points at different times. What sucked was it was getting to the point I didn't want to respond to anyone; I didn't want to get banned because someone is sensitive about their hobby.

I feel the catering to that is a disservice to the posters. It's sort of enabling in a way if this or any forum is just a big hug box. That isn't how the world works, and it probably isn't how the Internet should work either. Catering to the maladjusted is how you end up with actual perverts who think their rights are being stepped on when they can't talk openly about child molestation.

Yeah I think Games is currently at something like a happy medium, people generally post worthwhile things, occasionally a slapfight breaks out and resolves itself, and exceptionally dumb poo poo gets completely dogpiled. Moderately dumb poo poo gets people making fun of it.

It's a nice self-reinforcing thing where the dumber your post, the harsher the response. If someone is completely immune to social cues that's what the mods are for, but most of it seems to work itself out.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

The larger thing that I think people miss is that threads like this actually have absolutely nothing to do with 99% of the content on Games. We talk about individual games and playing games, we don't talk about how other people play games or the theoretical ramifications of that. Furthermore there's approximately zero people who are actually qualified enough to make their opinion matter in a thread like that, so the threads inevitably devolve into mental masturbation of one form or another. I'm not talking about qualified in the sense that they have a Bachelor's in Women's Studies or whatever, I'm talking about in the sense that the posters involved have enough of an opinion base published that others can where they are coming from when they say something. In D&D you might know that poster X has been really balanced and grounded on another, tangentially related subject, like economic disadvantage, so if they say something that sounds a little weird in a Feminism in Gaming thread you can generally assume that it just came out weird, and not that poster X is a cisgendered Rand-worshiper that thinks women to realize How Good They Have It or whatever other wild loving accusation rolls out of gamers.txt recently.

Games is way bigger than D&D, but similar stuff still happens. If you only ever post in MMO HMO and then write a big post critiquing Indie Darling Game Of The Month, yeah you're gonna come off as weird and people are going to make fun of you for it. If you've spent time chatting with people in other indie game threads you're probably going to get cut a little slack.

The reality of the situation is that people often shitpost in response to shitposting, so yeah your civil rights thread is going to get a lot of shitposting in Games, because to these people it's off topic and therefore a shitpost. If you want to talk civil rights, D&D is right there and filled with people who are both well qualified and there to discuss issues, not just post in a Civil Rights in Gaming thread to make themselves feel like My Opinion Matters.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Personally I'm fine with the way the Games forum is right now, no need to go the way of GAF by giving every headline its own topic.

But I do like the idea of making it so I can hide threads I have really no interest in.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Trying to make threads that treat games as a serious form of media is hopeless, because nerds are threatened by everything that kind of treatment suggests. I don't just mean feminism or anti-racism either (although those are obviously hot-button issues because they translate most directly into THEY BE TAKIN OUR GAMES AWAY paranoia), I mean any topic that would be perfectly at home in a book or film forum is doomed here. It has nothing to do with the validity of those subjects, and everything with the kind of people who post in Games.

That said if it's even possible to fix something like that and it isn't just a natural result of the demographics that play videogames, it's certainly beyond the means of a handful of volunteer mods.

So, setting that aside as an impossible goal, the kind of self-policing Kewpuh describes is a good thing, being allowed to be more critical of games is a good thing, and re-opening YCS 2: YCS Harder indirectly contributes to and tacitly approves of both of those. So things are looking pretty good, considering it's a forum full of loving gamers.

Azathoth posted:

The problem with discussing social issues in gaming is that even if both sides of the argument are being civil, there's nearly no chance that anyone participating will alter their viewpoints on the topic in question. Thus, after both sides make their main points, it becomes more of a performance for the people reading the thread than about actually engaging with the other people posting in the thread. Because of this, the threads quickly become incredibly circular with each side talking past the other.

At that point, the thread will either devolve into a pointless flame war as each side gives up on even the pretext of engagement, or one side will get run out of the thread and it'll become a circlejerk for the side that "won" the argument. At best, both sides will remain civil with each other and the conversation will sputter out as all sides essentially agree to disagree, but even with that, what's been accomplished?

Coolguye posted:

The larger thing that I think people miss is that threads like this actually have absolutely nothing to do with 99% of the content on Games. We talk about individual games and playing games, we don't talk about how other people play games or the theoretical ramifications of that. Furthermore there's approximately zero people who are actually qualified enough to make their opinion matter in a thread like that, so the threads inevitably devolve into mental masturbation of one form or another. I'm not talking about qualified in the sense that they have a Bachelor's in Women's Studies or whatever, I'm talking about in the sense that the posters involved have enough of an opinion base published that others can where they are coming from when they say something. In D&D you might know that poster X has been really balanced and grounded on another, tangentially related subject, like economic disadvantage, so if they say something that sounds a little weird in a Feminism in Gaming thread you can generally assume that it just came out weird, and not that poster X is a cisgendered Rand-worshiper that thinks women to realize How Good They Have It or whatever other wild loving accusation rolls out of gamers.txt recently.

Games is way bigger than D&D, but similar stuff still happens. If you only ever post in MMO HMO and then write a big post critiquing Indie Darling Game Of The Month, yeah you're gonna come off as weird and people are going to make fun of you for it. If you've spent time chatting with people in other indie game threads you're probably going to get cut a little slack.

The reality of the situation is that people often shitpost in response to shitposting, so yeah your civil rights thread is going to get a lot of shitposting in Games, because to these people it's off topic and therefore a shitpost. If you want to talk civil rights, D&D is right there and filled with people who are both well qualified and there to discuss issues, not just post in a Civil Rights in Gaming thread to make themselves feel like My Opinion Matters.

LOL

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pixeltendo posted:

But I do like the idea of making it so I can hide threads I have really no interest in.

I would also like to express that this is a good idea.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

super meta

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

games is mostly more chill these days and that's nice. also no-caps posting is insanely good. people complained about too many megathreads last time and the solution is, same as last time :justpost: have a good day, everyone.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I also like the chill atmosphere although i don't know why people seem to think it isn't chill enough. If posting expectations get too relaxed Games would just become a redundant Imp Zone.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OG Necromancer posted:

I also like the chill atmosphere although i don't know why people seem to think it isn't chill enough. If posting expectations get too relaxed Games would just become a redundant Imp Zone.

Some folks won't be satisfied until the forums devolve into a complete clusterfuck, I guess.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Regarding megathreads, one thing I somewhat miss from the older days was the page limit on mega threads. Circa 2008 after 100 or so pages the requirement was that you had to close the megathread and make a new one. This didn't feel like too large a burden when I was an OP, and as someone hopping in between threads it helped a ton to both keep the front page fresh and also to help on board me onto a game. These new megathreads would usually have up to date info in the OP as well for whatever recent patch/expansion came out, and it was great to know that I could rely on that information as accurate. Additionally, it was a really nice way to help me get involved in the conversations, as I didn't feel that I need to go back and read through 500+ pages of posts to understand what was going on.

I know we probably moved away from that requirement for a reason, but I don't recall what it was now.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Brackhar posted:

Regarding megathreads, one thing I somewhat miss from the older days was the page limit on mega threads. Circa 2008 after 100 or so pages the requirement was that you had to close the megathread and make a new one. This didn't feel like too large a burden when I was an OP, and as someone hopping in between threads it helped a ton to both keep the front page fresh and also to help on board me onto a game. These new megathreads would usually have up to date info in the OP as well for whatever recent patch/expansion came out, and it was great to know that I could rely on that information as accurate. Additionally, it was a really nice way to help me get involved in the conversations, as I didn't feel that I need to go back and read through 500+ pages of posts to understand what was going on.

I know we probably moved away from that requirement for a reason, but I don't recall what it was now.

I mean I'm fine with just leaving that up to whoever posted the original thread unless they completely disappeared in which case it's fine for someone else to make a new one. I don't want to be too overbearing and jump into a thread at a certain page number regardless of what conversation might be happening and go "SORRY PAGE 175 MOVE ON FUCKERS" *pounds close thread button and laughs while people scramble to make a new thread*

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Every post in a thread has a date and a revision date attached to it. Why burden everyone else when there are existing tools to help you know how "fresh" a topic is? OPs are not wikis.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

I mean I'm fine with just leaving that up to whoever posted the original thread unless they completely disappeared in which case it's fine for someone else to make a new one. I don't want to be too overbearing and jump into a thread at a certain page number regardless of what conversation might be happening and go "SORRY PAGE 175 MOVE ON FUCKERS" *pounds close thread button and laughs while people scramble to make a new thread*

Just embed the song "Closing Time" on page 100 of every megathread and hope people get the hint.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

I think you have the right idea here koops. There was another forum I posted on with a similar rule and all it really did was turn the last few pages of a megathread into "WELP, SEE YOU NEXT THREAD GUYS!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah generally speaking people are good about making new threads after major changes to the game or when a sequel comes out or whatever.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Every post in a thread has a date and a revision date attached to it. Why burden everyone else when there are existing tools to help you know how "fresh" a topic is? OPs are not wikis.

No, but OPs are frequently vastly better at getting someone on boarded into a game than a random wiki, primarily because while Wiki's are written for reference OPs are normally written to get people excited and into a game.

It's true that with the old rule the last few pages did tend to devolve into a conversation about what the new thread title would be, but on the whole I thought it made megathreads a bit easier to lightly follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Croccers posted:

In response to posting Gaming News Threads, enforce a Put a half decent opinion/views on the news your posting or get Probated rule? :shrug:
If it's boring uninteresting news with nothing to discuss it's going to get ignored and drop from the pages quick enough. There's not really mass amounts of Gaming news so it will hardly clog the forums like it was in GBS 1.0.
That was the exact rule that GBS had and a very predictable thing happened:

Grump posted:

1) Find any stupid article about games
2) Post the link and a random quote from article
3) Add one sentence that encourages no discussion.

If there's actually news that people actually want to discuss I imagine they should post the thread regardless of whether or not they have a "decent" opinion, regardless of whether or not there are strict rules for posting news. They will post because they want to discuss that thing - having formal rules for posting news just excited GBS posters into thinking they were intrepid forum journalists where all they did was source news, slap on the required opinion line to get past the rules, then mostly abandon the thread because all they were interested in was sourcing a thread, not actually discussing the thing they posted.

If it's boring uninteresting news don't post it, even with an opinion. Only post the news you find interesting because you will naturally have an opinion on it, and that will naturally start a discussion. You don't need rules for that, only common sense!

• Locked thread