Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Samantha McHale

You've heard the local legends, right? About how late at night, with the moon shining brightly in the sky, something stalks the forest, howling loud enough to spook the dogs in the next county over. Or maybe the one about the local game club, which makes a very clear effort to avoid hunting wolves. Heh heh, there's also Crazy George Walker, who supposedly was attacked by some sort of man-beast thing way back when he was a kid. He's always fun to mess with. Of course not all of those are true. After all, it's not like we make a habit of attacking people in the first place. Leaving them alive would just be downright stupid.

Our pack's been here for generations. Everyone has their perfect world. Madison was ours. Out of the way, and unnoticed by the rest of the world. Plenty of uncontested hunting ground. And you didn't have to worry about idiots walking around the woods when the pack is out on the prowl. Local suspicion and rumor saw to that. Yeah, things never got exciting around here, but that was the way I liked it. Then they went and built that drat school.

Now our perfect world had a nice huge crack in it. Suddenly, people could find Madison on the map. Foreigners... more like invaders, came in a swarm to our little town. People who didn't know the stories, who didn't know that this was werewolf territory and if they valued their necks, they'd stay away. Worst of all was my parents. They were actually happy about this!

"Oh, don't get all bent outta shape" My dad said. "Things'll calm down pretty quickly. Besides, now you can get a taste of the bigger world. Make new friends, maybe even find a pack of your own."

Ugh, I didn't need the bigger world. This one was good enough for me. And if the new kids were any indication, everyone in the bigger world were all assholes anyways. Still, they went ahead and pulled the strings to get me enrolled in the hell hole that would occupy the next few years of my life. I wasn't even in the drat place and I was already pissed as hell. Guess the first thing to look up is how many full-contact sports this place teaches.

pre:
Werewolf
Look: Feisty, Predatory Eyes
Origin: Born a Wolf

Hot 1, Cold -1, Volatile 2, Dark -1

Moves

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

Bare Your Fangs
While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that
spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. 
You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self 

You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned
through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to
bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, 
whichever happens first.

Your Backstory

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.  

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. 
Take 2 Strings on them.

George Walker

I guess every town has one, but Georgy is the resident crazy. The man is ancient. Hell, he was old before my parents had even met. And from what they tell me, he's just as batshit now as he was back then. Give him a breath and you'll get to hear all the local stories and then some. I think the worst part about it is when you hear him talking about something you know is true. He gets most of the details wrong, but there's always the feeling that he knows exactly what he's saying. Like he knows he's wrong, but he does it on purpose to keep you off balance. loving terrifies me when he does that.

Mchale's Irish Pub

Dad's business, and I guess you could call it the ancestral home. What, did ya think we lived in the woods or something? Don't be a dumbass. Dad's side of the family has passed that place down ever since the city was first settled. And it was a great place to be until recently, mainly cause it had no competition. On any given day you saw almost everyone in town. Now you got new nightclubs and poo poo springing up, baiting old faces away with whatever piss they try to pass off as drink. Needless to say things are tense around the pub. Though if there is an upside, help has never been easier to find. I still tend the bar there when they need me, or when I'm bored, or when I want a bit of spending money.

Getting what I have up while I still have power.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question 1:

Samantha: Hey Samantha, or would you prefer Sam? You make it sound like this is your first time going to a school with other people! Were you homeschooled? What was that like? If not, tell us something interesting about the elementary school you went to!

Sam's fine, I don't have a preference. And yeah, it sort of is my first time I guess. Definitely my first time with so many others. There's an elementary school around here, but that was for the other kids in town. I didn't really have much of a choice when it came to my education. You think it's hard for a grown werewolf to control herself? Try being a five year old with the power to rip apart anyone who annoyed you. So my mom and grandpa were sorta stuck with making sure I knew our place in this world and what exactly a world was.

I wouldn't call those the worst days of my life. I'm having to go to an actual school now, aren't I? They were definitely boring as hell though. Most of the time was spent on history. Specifically the history of the pack and what being a werewolf meant in relation to normal people. That was fun sometimes, but the best lessons were when I got taken to the woods to hunt. Sometimes I'd get overeager and scare off dinner, but since I was still learning, grandpa would just find something new for us to take down.

Not gonna lie, I thought the lessons would never end. Even when they stopped teaching me for the day, there were so many rules to follow. Don't get in any fights, no staying out after sunset unless it's with the pack, blah blah blah blah. I guess little me needed to remember all those rules, but it made life loving miserable. I couldn't even play any sports with the other kids til I got older and had something resembling self-control. Not that getting older made dealing with them any easier. loving puberty.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Samantha: So... what's living in a pack like? I mean, even if you've not spent much time outside of it, you must have seen TV or read books talking about human families, how does being in a pack differ from that? For that matter, what do outsiders think of your pack?

It's not really all that different from the other families around here I guess. Don't need a tv to tell you that much. Maybe bigger than normal, cause you gotta stay connected with your cousins. We also probably got a bit more ceremony involved with the poo poo we do than average people. In a town this old though, who the hell doesn't. Lots of families that've been around for a while, built up their own special secrets and traditions and poo poo. Our's just happens to be way more dangerous.

Like during the time of the full moon, everyone in the pack has to go out into the woods and hunt or mess around til sunrise. The older members had some explanation for it. Lesse... I think it was, "To reaffirm our connection with the Moon and Nature." Some really posh poo poo, but mostly it boiled down to keeping everyone in the pack busy til the next day. The full moon does weird poo poo to werewolves. When that big bright ball is in the air, you sorta start to forget things. Important things, like that you were ever anything else besides a wolf. Wouldn't want someone to be stuck in town when that happened.

As for outsiders, I dunno really. The out-of-towners probably think we're just another group of backwards yokels or something. In any case, we're told to keep quiet about pack business around strangers. Never know if the person who just overheard you might be a reporter looking for a story, or worse, a wannabe monster hunter who thinks he's gonna save the world by murdering some people with different way of living. You do get lucky sometimes, like with my mom. She wasn't born a werewolf, wasn't even born in Madison, but when she and dad went gaga over each other, the family secret apparently didn't even faze her.

Like I said though, that was lucky for them. They never had to deal with trying to get together any of the wimps around here. I don't know, maybe we just intimidate most people naturally or something, but the best luck I ever had with dating was going out to see a movie with this kid, Andrew I think his name was. He spent half the date stuttering, and after the movie was over he ran home like the devil himself was in hot pursuit. Granted, I probably shouldn't have cornered him to get the date in the first place, but gently caress it was my first time too. How the hell was I supposed to know what to say.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 14, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Samantha: Have you ever encountered a monster hunter? What was that like? What did your pack do to them?

Yeah, and I can say without a doubt it was one of the worst experiences to ever happen to me. I'm still not sure how the hell people like them even hear about places like Madison. Probably nerds and schizos who started watching Supernatural and thought, "Man, I sure wish that was my life!" Idiots don't have anything better to do than run around the internet looking up haunted houses and towns that are slightly mysterious ooohhh. God, it's making my leg hurt just thinking about it.

Anyways, lemme start from the beginning. I think was, uh, eight at the time? Yeah, that was it, cause mom had gotten this new math book from the library and had me practicing division when it all started. This guy had rolled into town the other day, telling everyone who glanced at him funny that he was a photographer, "just getting shots of the beautiful woodlands around Madison." Everyone thought the man was a freak, but he wasn't bothering anybody, so nobody really cared.

At least, nobody outside the pack did I think. Back then I wasn't all that aware of pack business, but even I could see something was odd by the way dad and grandpa acted. The elder members were spooked. made sure someone always had an eye on him. It was easy enough to pass off as normal behavior. When a stranger wanders into town, it's not all that odd for some people to ask questions about him. Make sure he isn't a serial killer or something.

Well that was all well and good for a while. The man behaved with everyone in town keeping tabs on him. The problem started when it was time for the pack's full moon get-together. Maybe the guy had gotten lucky, maybe he had been surveying the landscape and found our meet-up spot, I don't know. End result was the same either way. We had our eyes off him and we paid for it. The pack had come into a clearing about a mile out, and he was hiding in the trees at the edge. Dumb fucker waited til we had all changed, then started shooting at us. It was night, and the guy wasn't a good shot, but he still managed to hit me in the leg. It was the worst pain I've ever felt in my life and I let the world know it. Fucker had probably used silver, but I haven't been shot after that, so I don't really know if there's a difference between that and a normal bullet.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Name a moment that made you feel like a Monster, and name a moment that made you feel Human.

Remember what I said about how we try to avoid attacking people whenever we can? Sometimes you can't really avoid it. And that rear end in a top hat had just signed his death warrant, cause there's a few thing you don't do in life. As the Great Jim Croce said, you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off that ol' Lone Ranger, and you don't mess around with a werewolf pack. They tore him apart. A tree and one gun aren't much of a defense against almost twenty pissed off werewolves, especially after you've just hurt one of their cubs. The entire time that guy was being turned into a snack though, I was down for the count. Seems blood loss and delirium kinda override the full moon's effect on the mind. I honestly thought I was gonna die out there in the woods, with the only people close enough to help me too moon-addled to know what to do. Obviously I didn't. Getting shot in the leg can mess you up, but it ain't gonna kill you unless it hits the right spot. In fact I still got a scar where the bullet went in. But yeah, it was humbling as hell. Ain't nothing in the world gonna make you feel more human than dying and trying to find some way out of it.

I'd passed out at some point. Probably howled myself unconscious. Woke up back in the town hospital. Mom, dad, and a couple of my cousins were there. After the crying stopped, they told me that if anyone asked, I'm supposed to tell a story about how the photographer man shot me accidentally then ran out into the woods. People aren't really gonna grill a little kid who's just been shot. The adults aren't anyways. I had to walk around with a crutch for a while afterwards, and drat if every kid in town didn't want to know the story behind it.

Like I said before, I was too young to really get pack politics, but the story I told was flimsy as hell. Wasn't meant to be good, but it was meant to get back to the ears of the parents and adults of the community. It was a traumatic event to me, and they'd used it as a loving tool. I wouldn't say I realized it quickly. Took a couple years til I could think about the whole sequence without being sick. In the end though it was a hell of a feeling. Dying had made me feel weak... human. But living now gave me the opposite feeling. I was not human. I was better than human. I was also subject to the crazies out there who were jealous of me for being stronger than them. I could rip them all to pieces, but I had to live a lie because the psychos outnumbered us a million to one. I'm a monster, and the world hated me for it.

Anyways, Story Time with Sam is over. Now it's your turn, Butch. I'd never heard of a were-ogre til you showed up, so I got a few questions. Let's start off with an easy one. Us wolves run in packs, but what about you? You ogres stick together in some kinda group, grumble about billy goats with the cousins, any of that poo poo?

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TurninTrix posted:

You've revenged yourself on someone. Agree why and how, and give them 2 Strings on you.
Feels like Samantha might fit into this, if her family's been in town as long as Hiroko's has.

Sounds good to me.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

About to go to sleep, so I'll think on this one, unless anyone wants to snatch it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ActingPower posted:

Oh, sure! I think I was considering a sympathetic token of yours, but that works too. Now that I think about it, would it have been a Promise of some kind?

Now, as to sympathetic tokens. I'm drawn to Jenny, I think, for one of them. The other one should probably be someone who I think is threatening. Hiroko, perhaps? Samantha? Whoever I choose/chooses me, feel free to determine what sort of thing I'd swipe from you.

Samantha has a few things I can think of that she would give a poo poo about. In order from most important to least, she has her deceased Grandma's bandanna, a hunting knife she got for her birthday, and a Jim Croce cd she likes singing along to.

TurninTrix posted:

Cool. I am still thinking the details, but I figure either Sam or one of her pack humiliated one of Hiroko's siblings (maybe one of the 15-year old twins) and she intervened on the sibling's behalf. Just some posturing and social revenge, rather than outright violence (plenty of opportunity for that in play).

The pack gets pretty antsy when the full moon is around the corner. They also really hate it when people stare.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

One of the new girls in town, Shelley I think her name was, smells... I don't know. She smells wrong, like a factory... or a city? It's almost infuriating how I can't place it. It's sorta like when you hear a song again after like a decade. You know it, but you don't, and it just nags at you. Even the air she breathes comes out wrong. Stale. I'm almost thankful for the hint of a cigarette I can pick up. It's still foul, but at least something I can place.

I caught a whiff of her one day and it drat near drove me out of my skull. I've tried watching her when she wasn't looking to see if maybe she had some kinda new perfume or deodorant. Nothing. Even the places she went in town wouldn't leave that kinda scent on her. If there is an upside to this, I could out that girl in a crowd no matter what. I'd probably be sick afterwards.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 17, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

a white shirt and slacks, with a blue blazer and tie.

:catstare:

Slacks please.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Shelly, I'm not sure which creeps me out more. That Cold air around you, or the fact that no one else can feel it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Just a tip for the future, it's okay if you make a new post when you update with the thread link.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sorry, had a busy weekend.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gazetteer posted:

So far everyone who has posted has ended up in the same scene as her. I might just put Lily in the cafeteria and hope I don't get left all alone.

That's where Sam was probably gonna end up, so don't worry.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alright, finally back from my trip. I'll have a post up once I've gotten some sleep.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sorry. Got sick and the medicine has fried my brain. :(

Lemme get my post up and we can move on if you want.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Sam:
What is that roll for? It looks kind of like Manipulate NPC, but I'm not sure what you're manipulating her for - what do you want her to do?

It was a turn on roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sorry for going dark. Both my desktop and laptop have poo poo the bed so I'm sort of limited to phone posting and the odd occasion I can grab a work computer. I'll try to have a post up in a couple hours.

• Locked thread