Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I just put all my divisions in separate storylines to satisfy the requirements and then never touch them except to update them as workers move between my divisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I just wish Crush Hour had done well so we kept getting crappy games from different genres with Superstars in them. WWE Battle Royale, WWE MOBA, WWE Open World Survival.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Regarding WWE 2K19, it may be the best of the available recent offerings, but I am never, ever going to play a wrestling game with that loving kickout timing minigame. gently caress. That.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That's actually a thing that I was always concerned about when Rikishi would do the stinkface. You know, that and getting my nostrils plugged with poo poo.

He has to be wearing a jock under the thong, right? Right?!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

What I want to know about the AEW GM game is, like, what am I supposed to be trying to do to succeed

Like, it seems to me like I don't have enough data to unpack the puzzle, I just throw random people in the ring and hope I get the good numbers?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I know it's because I'm not watching so these people mean very little to me now, but does WWE's roster not seem anemic now? Roman Reigns is the one star, and of course there's this aura of failure he has from them wanting him to be as big as John Cena and he's just not. How do they keep up the brand split like this?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Davros1 posted:

No Mercy 2 featuring AEW

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4801:y2thgm.2.4

drat, still trademarked.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Does anybody have the download for the old as hell "socko's wwf sim" that was (I think literally) in Basic?

Still the best career mode I ever played.

ETA: wrestlers had a stat for strength, speed, and weight that controlled move success likelihood and if you didn't win a belt, your stats would rerandomize every couple months. You selected moves by entering the a number based on the prompt (which changed depending on running/in the corner/headlock/out of the ring/grounded)

Oh God what a long term memory that is, that thing ruled

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

If they get rid of the loving kickout minigame I'll give it a try

Most of that looked just fine but you've still got this situation where some characters from some angles look like PS2 graphics

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

It's been long enough since I've played an old wrestling game that I feel like doing so, especially since Deadlock is always talking about it. What's a good one to go back to? Something with a good career mode that doesn't have insane load times preferably.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Chinook posted:

It’s weird that they have a general overall strength statistic and no one is under 69 (nice). Why not just rank them from 1 to 30 or whatever? Sort of silly to have an entire rating scale that the game doesn’t use 70% of..

Why would WWE have wrestlers on their roster that aren't at least a 6.9/10? 6.8 and less wrestlers go to the minor leagues like AEW.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

They basically got a year off of making these games, right? I mean, not a vacation but they skipped a year so they could retool things? If that's the case, it's just so mind-boggling how many things they seem to have left just as bad as they've always been.

Short of 2K going out of business and WWE having to find a new company to make their games, what could they possibly do to really improve these games at this point?

You have to get a second developer to work for like three years making a new WWE game from scratch, and then during the year that releases, Yuke's will have a second year to work on it again. Although that's too expensive if you're not Call of Duty. But if it's just being ruined by Vince like everything else WWE then even that won't help.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Does it have the timing based kickout minigame?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Alaois posted:

no it's mash out by default

poo poo. that makes me want to play it a little. i hope it gets cracked

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Miching Mallecho posted:

The Mysterio showcase in 2k22 is such a waste and dumb. Besides the random Miz,Dolph,Samoa Joe, etc marches. They literally have a match where he loses against the undertaker in it, like what does that showcase. :psyduck:

It's such a weird format. The appeal of Rey Mysterio giving kayfabe insight into these actual matches is neat, but the gameplay of "do this exact string of moves" really isn't fun at all, and it doesn't escalate to a peak or anything, it's just kind of a mishmash.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

The latest TEW for the most detail and the most going on, and also for the biggest modding community.

Journey of Wrestling for the modern take on EWR, much easier to play, a lighter, user friendlier affair.

I don't really like Pro Wrestling Sim, it seems to be just as fussy as TEW but nothing is where I would expect it to be.

And of course, WWE 2K22 MyGM mode, if you want a weird game with its own rules that don't really make sense. But it has local competitive multiplayer, so, if you've got a friend with you it seems like that could be fun.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

https://youtu.be/T_Gk7P1fKlY

They didn’t even make the entrances good this time

But this isn't... where's Heyman? Where's the Usos? The Leis? I don't even like WWE, and this is lame.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Journey of Wrestling is pretty dece.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Kennel posted:

The first reviews for 2K23 seem to be positive, as in the best WWE game in years (low bar but...)

Did they get rid of the loving kickout minigame

EDIT: Internet says no, so gently caress WWE2K23.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 14, 2023

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

They let you turn off the dumbass timing based kickout system in 2K23, so it's my favourite wrestling game in forever.

Also, for whatever reason, I'm much less prone to accidentally deleting all my hard work in the creation suite in 2K23. In 2K22 I was doing it constantly, backing out of things in a way that I didn't realize was gonna undo everything.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Seymour Buttz posted:

Am I missing something or does Universe just change the matches around when you simulate them? Like it’ll book a tag match and when I go to simulate it it becomes a singles match. Or the opponent will completely change.

It's simulating Vince re-writing the script.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

If you bite Kenny Omega three times in one match as Jon Moxley, you unlock Ace Steele

Use Strength on the truck to unlock Larry the dog

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Trying posted:

Coward Tony release the EWR Dwarf Fortress hybrid you dream of

It's the post-apocalypse. Housing is exceedingly rare. There's a financially thriving City, but nobody wants to live there because it's incredibly crime-filled and dangerous. Professional wrestling has survived, and there's demand, but those doing it are scattered, lost.

There's only one solution... someone must build a WRESTLE FORTRESS.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

a really good one i've seen around is mupen64plus. but it's command line only for some reason. here's a recently updated program that gives it a nice gui though: https://github.com/Rosalie241/RMG/releases

You want to use the Mupen64Plus-Next core in Retroarch, which adds some key features. Project64 is trash

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

The Kins posted:

Project64's nice, sane UI

lol

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Astro7x posted:

The lack of showing any more of the mini games makes me think that they're complete garbage. But like, whatever, if it's just in there for shits and giggles with a dozen or so Mario Party style mini games, I know the actual roster that are gamers are going to have a loving blast with it and hilarity will ensue!

Oh yeah, they're gonna be trash, but it seems like a fun why not side thing. I know some people start hissing when they see minigames but gently caress, I bet it breaks up the development monotony.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

I wonder what the chances are that the game gets features like Trios matches added in patches, versus everything has to happen yearly like with the WWE games.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

lol those goobers playing the skateboard match were annoying but the game looked fun enough!

MODS?!

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

It's always worse on last gen hardware. Newer games seem to not get tested on it so much.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Con: the four stories all seem very siloed from each other. Like at the end of story 1 I won the tag belts, never came out with it, never mentioned it, nothing. There's no real segues or whatever its just 4 good short stories that you play in order.

All in all, pretty fun!

I have a suspicion that the career mode for Fight Forever was going to be similar to the Championship Mode in No Mercy, where there's a little story for each of the titles, and then they had more time and came up with the management sim part after and just strung all the stories they had together.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Is there any way to get the "X Is All Elite" graphic after the tiny window of opportunity to take a screenshot after you make the CAW passes

Editing it doesn't bring it back up for me

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

In Injustice, like, Batman still doesn't kill people, it's just Fascist Superman and some of the heroes on his side. And there's no Fatalities. In MK, they have DC guest characters, but it's the same characters that would do violent things in the comic books.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

blunt posted:

It's a lot less involved / more casual than TEW, so outside of the price difference it kinda comes down to whether you want each game week to take 1hour or 4hours to deal with.

For example, each EWR show is twelve segments where as in TEW you book to the minute. Stats are simpler in EWR, as is roster management and negotiations etc.

I'd love it if someone ported EWR to mobile, it would be the perfect commute game.

There are QOL problems with EWR that get fixed in TEW, like manual sponsorships, and having to manually put wrestlers at the push you want them. I wish someone would just make a straight up re-implementation of EWR and then keep patching it and modernizing it from there.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

There was a certain narrative that Yuke's was a good dev being held down by the restrictions associated with having to make yearly WWE releases. I think that's shattered now.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

There's a lot of really easy things they could do to give you a reason to play more, though. Kenny's a fighting game guy, why isn't there an Arcade mode, with little endings written up for everyone? Maybe something like Hitman's escalation mode, where you have to take on a series of challenges with rising difficulty. A procedural career/universe mode is obviously ideal, but hell, if you just slapped together a random card generator and let people play through one disconnected show at a time, you'd at least be surprised by whatever silly stuff the dice come up with.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Alaois posted:

Nobody in their early 20s gives a poo poo about Post Malone he's a washed dude who plays acoustic guitar now

So this would be the time when WWE would embrace him, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I have to assume one of those cut features was 'the ability to download CAWs' because without that the game was going to be dead on arrival no matter what.

The CAWs would have to be customizable enough to be worth downloading for it to matter