Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shabbat goy

joke_explainer posted:

Its sort of like a micro-dry brine... It helps season the interior of the meat slightly I think, water is sucked out, the the liquid gets reabsorbed into the less-moist now steak. Here in the salting section of this article from serious eats:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

Speaking of serious eats, I made a batch of those black bean burgers you posted a while ago and they were great, so thanks for posting those :)

edit: oh, also, I saw this posted on another site and figured it would be of interest to you fine dining folks. Vegan meringue from chickpea juice. I always rinse my canned beans anyways, so it seems like a cool way to use it.

shabbat goy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy

When I was in a commercial kitchen, I did the weight-on-pan thing in the fridge overnight, but at home I just do it on the counter for an hour or so and leave it tilted for the water/soy-juice to drain off and I don't think the difference is too significant. I always end up with little paper towel bits on my tofu if I use that method, but that's probably because I buy weird paper towels and am dumb.

shabbat goy

Pomp posted:

you're wrong

Miss Psychosis posted:

You are so useless...

Those are both kind of mean, but they're also right; kimchi is good and the reason I am going to live forever.

shabbat goy

I went to the Best Pizza Place in Picksburgh the other day and since they specialize in vegan and vegetarian stuff, I got my regular order which is a buffalo seitan (satan) hoagie. Then I remembered that alnilam posted a seitan recipe earlier in the thread so I decided to try it out.

I started with the hoagie rolls first since they need time to rest after baking. The recipe is really simple and makes a nice crunchy crust with a pretty light and soft inside.

1 cup water
1.5 tsp active dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour (or bread flour, it doesn't seem to matter much)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil

Note that I did everything volumetrically since I'm not allowed to have a digital scale as a condition of my probation.

Add the yeast to the water (warm) and mix it up a bit. Let it proof if that's your thing, maybe 10 minutes.

Combine the dry ingredients and mix them up. Add the oil and then the yeast water mixture and mix it until it starts to form a nice dough. Sprinkle a little flour on your work surface and knead it for ~5 minutes, until it's a nice smooth and elastic ball. It should hold its shape well and be just a little sticky. Add flour to the surface if it's too sticky, but don't knead it too much.

Put it in a bowl with a little oil on the surface and let rise in a warm area until double in size, about 1h. Punch it down, knead it for a minute, and then slice it in to 3 or 4 pieces. Shape one of them into a cat, and the others, make into long-ish loaves. These were about a foot long.

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375*F. To make them a little crunchier, throw ~1/4 cup water into the oven before closing the door to make a very humid atmosphere. Watch for the steam, it will burn you and it will hurt.

Take them out when they look something like this:

Let them rest for a while before you eat or use them. Should give you enough time to make the seitan.

I used a slightly different recipe than the one al posted. Here's what I used:

2 cups vital wheat gluten
2 tsp assorted spices. (I used onion powder, old bay, and chili powder, but you can use whatever you want!)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil (not necessary, but gives it a nice flavor.)

Mix these all together and 1.75 cups COLD water, since adding too warm of water to dough that's just vital wheat gluten can do weird things to the texture. I put it in a measuring cup and let it sit in my fridge for 20 minutes before mixing up the dry ingredients.

After adding the water, stir it with your hands. It will form a doughy ball really quickly, so knead it for maybe a minute or two. After that. plop it on your work surface, cut it into shapes or in this case, large loaves, and let it rest for a little while.

Bring some stock to a boil (I used some chicken stock that I had, you could use veggie stock if you felt like keeping it vegetarian) and plop in your seitan. Reduce it to a simmer, cover the pot, and let it cook for a half hour. The flavor of the stock should infuse into the seitan in this time, and make them a bit heartier flavor-wise.

After a half hour, strain the mixture and let the seitan cool. Slice it into thin-ish chunks and toss it in a frying pan with a generous amount of butter. Fry it until the surface gets a bit crispy and browned. At that point, toss in a good splash of buffalo sauce and get all the pieces coated.

Slice your roll in half length-wise, spread some butter on both ends, and put your seitan chunks on the roll. I covered them with slices of pepper jack.

Turn your oven to broil and place your sandwich in to get the cheese nice and melted and the roll soft and crispy on the outside. It should only take a few minutes, so watch it carefully.

Take it out, top it with lettuce and tomato and anything else you want, plus another splash of buffalo sauce.

Cut in half and serve with pickles and chips.

Seitan is really good, and you should all try it (whether you make it from scratch or not.) Come to PGH and we'll go to Spak Bros.

shabbat goy

joke_explainer posted:

You could use a preheated Dutch oven for steam on demand for the rolls, might improve your crusts.

I have had my eye on a dutch oven for a long time, and now that we're moving to a place with a gas range (instead of this awful electric range) I may have to pick one up. Thanks!

shabbat goy

Can I freeze a bechamel? And what's a good thing to use this bechamel for that's not mac and cheese? It's loaded with chipotle peppers and cheddar/asadero/queso fresco, if that guides you.

shabbat goy

Cooking up some pulled pork because I'm alone all weekend and my wife doesn't like pork :getin:

I've also been reminiscing about my restaurant days and I saw on facebook that the guy we used to make fun of for bringing in a big honkin' Martin Yan-style cleaver to the greasy spoon we worked in is now sous at some big fancy restaurant in Austin, which is pretty dope because Martin Yan is a national treasure and clearly emulating him is a recipe for success. Here's one of my favorite Martin Yan vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBKLwNSyvoI

edit: just got back from goodwill and scored a fresh pair of chef's whites for 4 bucks!

shabbat goy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 26, 2016

shabbat goy

Does anyone have a good 'n easy Kimchi recipe? Specifically one that's not gonna smell up my house? I wouldn't mind that but my wife hates the smell. Not super concerned about authenticity since the methodology will probably need to be adapted to her delicate nose. I also have ready access to Korean groceries so I can get some gochujang or whatever I need. Ideally I could just chop a bunch of stuff, put it in a jar, and seal it up.

shabbat goy

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Unfortunately whenever you gas off (or have a leaky seal) for actively fermenting kimchi, you're gonna get some fartiness for a little bit thanks to the carbon dioxide produced by the microcritters fermenting your veggies. Are you looking for a cabbage kimchi recipe and do you have a scale or are you using volumetric measures only? You can use jars, tupperwares, whatever.

Yes to the scale, and cabbage is great but I'm open to different varieties. I got some from the Korean grocery with pickles in it that was awesome. I have all manner of containers.

e: and a bunch of quaternary sterilizing packets from the brewing supply store.

shabbat goy

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

it's definitely a pizza day, my friends, because it's not cold enough for soup, no, the soup is tomorrow. i got some 'za dough chilling in the fridge, i got some cheese, i got some veg, it's good. real good.

i made peas, greens and roasties last night, too. we like peas in our house and don't just eat them based on specious claims of fortune, they're also a main protein.

top tier hot sauce choice, valentina por vida

shabbat goy

Made a poulet basquaise for date night with some baguettes, but how in the heck do you make those slits without causing the loaves to deflate? It still was very tasty and crusty, but more dense than I'd like. And yes, my knives are very sharp, it didn't seem to make a difference...

shabbat goy

joke_explainer posted:

It looks like you pressed down on the dough. You should not have to do that at all. The knife should be doing the work. It should be sharp enough to slice through the dough just by pulling it through with a determined , swift but gentle stroke. 'Iron hand in a velvet glove'.

Make sure your knife is very sharp. Wet the blade before slices if you're dealing with a sticky high hydration dough. I guess some people spray a little oil on there too, idk, never done that.

This guy scores some baguettes really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLnzomvEF8

Dang, now I have a use for all those double-edged razor blades I bought pre-beard.

Thanks to you and POOL IS CLOSED for the help + the kind words. More bread this weekend, potentially...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shabbat goy

I made some barbacoa de cachete (kinda) after getting a screamin' deal on some beef cheeks

10 hrs later:

I also made some potato enchiladas to throw it on top of but didn't take a pic of those.

It was so good, like spicy adobo beef jelly.