Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Yay food thread!
i dont really have anything specific to say at this point, just that i love food. so much. i feel like im lucky that i get paid to do my hobby, i dont know how many people can say that but not many i would imagine.

so feel free to ask anything about the professional kitchen or whatever you want. i fear i am pretty far removed from standard home cooking, my recipes tend to have several steps and cooking processes, and a meal would require several recipes. i posted this pic in another thread but my corned beef hash is a good example:

to get to that i brined a beef brisket in sodium nitrite, salt, brown sugar, bay leaf, and juniper berries
once it was done it was a 24hour braise at 200 in red wine with thyme, garlic, rosemary, shallots, more juniper, bay leaf, mustard seed,coriander and a couple of other things

then this happened:

I took some potatoes and peeled then, and confited (confit'd) them in salad oil and butter, with shallots, garlic, thyme, rosemary (we call these aromatics they come up a lot)black peppercorns and a couple of other things, and let that go for 4 hours at 250. Confiting is just like braising, you just use a fat/oil base instead of a water base.

fine diced up some carrots, celery, and onions (mirepoix) and cut the potatoes into nice 1/2" cubes. sauteed them to get a little color on them, a touch of salt, deglazed with a bit of the braising liquid, and added the shredded corned beef. i threw in a couple of cups' worth of veal demi too for good measure (veal demi gets its own post, that's another three day process). At the end once it came off the heat i folded in the potatoes, they were cooked and i didnt want them getting mushy.

then i sold a 6oz portion with 2 over easy eggs on top and some nice fruit salad on the side for $15.95.

but yea i love food. came to post a quick hi and wound up typing you guys one of my secret recipes that gets me money. these things happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom

also my phone is from the stone age someone else took that i dont have many pics of my food sry

om nom nom

right now i work in yellowstone national park, im the head chef of one of the restaurants there...its one of the more upscale restaurants in the park, but we still definitly have to cater to the tourists. being the chef i get a lot of time to do what i want with food, hence spending 2 (passive) weeks making corned beef hash.

before this summer season i worked at a really nice and really expensive french bistro for 2 years, which is probably where i learned the most since culinary school, probably even more than school, about technique and ingredients

om nom nom

im definitly not pissed about my current status. the toughest thing right now is i get 6 weeks off in between summer and winter then winter and summer, cause its seasonal work. and not like paid vacation like move out from where you live you are now unemployed and homeless. its sweet to travel 3 months a year in my mid 20's but ill probably want something more stable in the next couple of years. i definitly have a few more years of this in me i love what i do and where im doing it

om nom nom

like i said its seasonal work, which is unattractive to a lot of people, and i am the head chef of one of the restaurants. i work for an executive chef and exec sous, who are in charge of all of the restaurants in yellowstone.

i suppose newer age french/american? that's what i have the most experience with, its kind of hard to say. french and asian cuisine are my favorite, that's for sure. in my opinion with globalization i like to just put ingredients that taste good together, together. for plating i suppose i have to choose whether it looks like a french plate or an asian plate, or whatever.

for an example, i made a lamb wrap for the special tonight. the lamb was braised in red wine, and shredded, then shallow fried in a saute pan for service (classical french techniques), and put in a flatbread (greek) wrap that was spread with garlic butter (french), griddled, then spread with hummus (middle eastern) and the other ingredients were carrot slaw (german) with kalamata olives (greece) and spring greens tossed in black currant aoili(france/western europe)

Once could argue that the wrap on the whole was greek/mediterranean. but the techniques are different than when they were developing their cuisine, and other ingredients and styles were used that the classic greek would not have used. i had some lamb, started braising it cause that takes a long time, then went to work on the rest of it, with the flavors and ingredients in mind more than one specific nationality or style.

om nom nom

also i really do spend a lot of my free time reading and learning about food and im super loving serious in the kitchen so that could be why they let me run a restaurant at my age

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

I'm envious of your training om nom nom. I've tried Asian cuisine from time to time but the results have always been lacking. I'm still deep in the read a recipe do that recipe without really understanding the underlying ideas yet stage when it comes to Asian food.

i don't have a a whole lot of experience with it but i know i can replicate some flavors. one a nice thing about where i work, we have a lot of people from other countries come for a couple of months at a time on a work/travel visa. so ive taken some asian style ideas and ran with it, and all the while had someone from malaysia, thailand, or taiwan tasting it, and asking if it would be something they would like back home. its been especially helpful with broths, once you have a broth down the rest is easy.

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

How would you go about making a proper Asian broth. I mean I know how to make broth but Asian soups and ramen in particular have a quality I wouldn't know offhand how to replicate.

take whatever stock (chicken, beef, vegetable)and simmer it for another hour with some whole garlic+mushrooms (i use portabella stems we've saved from other projects but any tasty mushroom works it can just get expensive), strain + soy sauce, fish sauce, bonito flakes-fermented fish stuff+mushrooms=umami overload

you can also make dashi which is japanese "sea stock"-i haven't had much experience with it but i know it uses "kombu" which is sun dried kelp and bonito flakes

om nom nom

i dont know if this is proper by any means, just what ive kinda figured out. it tastes good and got the approval of the malaysian and two tiawanese in the kitchen that day though

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

Baking is not my strong suit, but what sort of bun do you favor? Like are you a brioche bun person? A pretzel bun fad watcher? Potato bread? English muffin?! You gotta narrow it down bro.

same. this thread needs a baker.

om nom nom

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

cut up bits of bacon, get most of the grease out of the pan (not all tho), cut the ends off the brussel sprouts and remove the loose leaves, cut them in half lengthwise (perpendicular to the stem ends you cut off), heat the pan and throw the brussel sprouts in the pan, cook until fork tender on medium/medium-high, basically until they get crispy on the edges and tender, add salt and pepper and mix in the lardons (reserved bacon). you can do the same thing without the bacon, but brussel sprouts and bacon really do go together great.

i support this and i like to put apples in it too

om nom nom

im on date night in town looks like ill have lots of posts to catch up on come wednesday!

om nom nom

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

24 hr braise... how do you manage that? Looks amazing. A restaurant near here has an extremely tender, amazingly good rioja braised brisket and I always wondered how they did it.

200 degrees, I put it on at the end of my shift when i work the same shift the next day, so that im there for the last 10-12 hours to check on it

om nom nom

besides what everyone days, pork belly is unique in its fat content, in that its totally separate from the lean meat. most meat has marbling, pork belly has a layer of pure fat and a layer of pure lean, which makes for a unique mouthfeel. jowels actually have the same thing going in and if you havent had jowel bacon ("face bacon") you should

dogcrash truther posted:

what's the best restaurant you have all ever eaten at?

momofuku in new york was mindfuck awesome. ill have to think about the best meal question cause there are many

om nom nom

and of course i have a cast iron pan! got rid of the cast iron wok when we moved to the park. that thing was a dream, too forever to preheat, but when it did it never cooled down

om nom nom

alright now its effort post time; its called i sure hope you make your own stock or broth.
if you aren't, you should, it's easy! here's a recipe:

5lb bones (beef, veal, chicken, fish. if you dont have them from cooking theyre like 50 cents/lb at a butcher)
1lb onion
.5lb carrot
.5lb celery
.5lb leeks (optional)
1 lb tomato (optional)
7 sprigs thyme
6 bay leaves
10 cloves garlic
1/4 lb shallots

If you are making beef or veal stock, turn the oven to 400 and roast the bones until they smell awesome/get some dark color. they will drip fat as they roast so make sure the pan you put them on is at least 1/2 inch deep.

Chop your vegetables into chunks, it doesn't really matter how big. put everything into a large stock pot, cover with cold water, bring to a simmer NOT a boil. Skim any fat/impurities that rise to the surface frequently. For beef/veal stock, simmer 6-8 hours; chicken 4-6 hours, fish 1-2 hours. Strain, freeze in 1 cup (or whatever portions).

i like to put 1/2lb chunk bacon in my chicken stock, its pretty awesome but gives it a much more aggresive flavor than broth/stock would normally have, plus there's salt which it wouldnt normally have.

the difference between broth and stock is stock uses bones and broth uses meat.

if i ever mention "veal demi" thats when i make 30 gallons of veal stock and reduce it to about 2 gallons. it has an incredibly intense flavor and is thick from the gelatin in the beef, and it is what i use to base a lot of sauce, or throw a half cup or so into shredded meat things, or soup broths for a flavor boost

om nom nom

Dennis Rasmussen posted:

I am no baker or anything, but I got Ken Forkish's book on bread, following his instructions you can make some amazing bread. I made this the other month:

Was one of the best loaves of bread I've ever had. Bread at home was always really dense and disappointing. Great sandwich bread too.

i missed this post at first. thats fuckin gorgeous man

om nom nom

oh i totally forgot about the 2nd wash on the bones! its something i do but didn't put in the post

ive been using tomatoes instead of paste, just roasting them on low (225-250) for a few hours so they really dry out and get tasty, almost like sun-dried tomatoes. we can only get #10 cans of tomato paste in the restaurant, and dont use it for much else, so it seems like a waste to open the can

om nom nom

Squirrel007 posted:

Can I treat this thread like Instagram and just post pictures of the food I eat, provided I use proper grammar and punctuation?

the grammar part is unnecessary

om nom nom

I think allrecipes.com has how to videos

om nom nom

That is a loving gorgeous sear man you are hired.

I also just noticed my autocorrect capitalizes loving I like it

om nom nom

For a content post, I am on a huge farro kick. This is what farro looks like if you are unfamiliar:

Farro is one of my favorite grains/ carbohydrates in general, and has been since I first tried it. There are 3 different species of wheat that can be sold as farro, which you can Google if you want more specifics. It is a whole wheat berry that is a bit rougher in texture than barley, with which it can be used pretty much interchangeably.

I am currently on a farro kick because I got a great deal through the restaurant in which I work; between restaurant prices, buying in bulk, and a sale the purveyor was having, I payed $24 for 25lb. For comparison, a 24oz package of Bobs Red Mill organic(which mine is) farro retails for $6.17

So I have a lot of farro

I've even given away like 6 bags the same size as the ones in the picture.

Before cooking, you can soak your farro, although it isn't necessary. It does soften the grains and cut down on the cook time.
There are two ways I generally cook farro.

The first is to put it in a pot with chicken stock, cold, and some aromatics, such as thyme, shallots, garlic, black peppercorns, orange zest, bay leaf, etc. Be creative, this provides the base flavor for your farro.

Set the burner to med-high, once it starts to simmer reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer. Simmer 30 min-1hr, until the farro is soft, but still a little crunchy. Farro is almost difficult to overcook, and don't expect a mushy grain.

I like to cook a good amount(1.5-2lbs) this way and cool it on a cookie sheet in the fridge, and use it as I want, like making a salad with orange segments, spinach, radishes, and some balsamic and olive oil, or put a scoop into some soup and add some quick nutrition to a canned (or homemade and frozen) product. An option is to toast the grains in the oven, for 20ish minutes at 350 for a nuttier caramelized flavor. Vegetarians can use veg stock instead of chicken.

The second method takes a little more tlc. It is to make it similar to risotto. Used a saute pan with tall sides, and in a separate sauce pan heat up some chicken stock. Dice some onions and shallots, add olive oil to the saute pan, and once the pan is hot, add the onions and shallots and cook them until they are translucent. Add the farro (however much you are going to use-a couple of cups raw or so), and stir. Add a fair amount (i do like 1/2-3/4 stick) cold butter, don't cut it up just leave it as a stick.

Stir the farro relatively frequently, and use the butter as a "timer"- once the cube is melted, the farro will be toasted enough to start adding stock. Add the hot stock to the farro, stirring frequently, seasoning with salt in small amounts as you go. Keep adding chicken stock one ladle at a time until the farro is cooked. There should be very little residual moisture.

At this point I add a small amount of chicken stock, and finishing the risotto to taste with parmesan, lemon juice, salt, white pepper, and creme fraiche.

Here's a dish I made with farro risotto, ahi, beets, parsnip, red pepper andouille coulis, and a salad of micro arugula and scallions

om nom nom

I have a huge boner for farro so enjoy the awesome effort post in the awesome food effort post thread

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 7, 2015

om nom nom

I wasn't going to mention the Brussels haha. But in a French brigade there are separate vegetable and meat cooks so there is hope yet.

What else have you tried in that sous vide aside from steak?

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

what part of "effortpost funhouse" did you not understand that was great thanks

Alright I've edited my post due to popular demand thank you guys I love you all

om nom nom

joke_explainer posted:

I don't think I've ever had farrow.

I will literally mail you a bunch of you pm me your address you just have to post about cooking it.

If that's weird idk buy farro and post about it because it is great

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

is this an open offer because i will totally do a farro post

Sure

om nom nom

Ok here's the deal, 2 people besides bo-pepper get farro f they want it and you have to post about it. He can have it because he will thank me with a good post, as the other two drat well better. First two and bo (and joke explainer the offers still there) get this much farro.

And joke_explainer with a cap at four this endeavour will cost me like 15 bucks tops and we may get some fun posts out of it, so don't feel bad if you want some free farro to try

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 7, 2015

om nom nom

One more spot available, I'll send them out tomorrow after work

om nom nom

What kind of apples did you use?

om nom nom

I haven't made baked apples since wrapping them in tin foil and throwing them in the fire at boy scout camp.

I made my girlfriend and I BLTEs for lunch.

Bacon, arugula tossed in evoo, lemon juice, s+p, heirloom tomato, tapatio aoli ( mayo lemon s and p tapatio beef stock), poached eggs on a local demi baguette

om nom nom

alnilam posted:

I will accept the farro challenge please

Alright that's everyone I just need addresses from landy and bo

I'll take pictures before I send everything tomorrow. This is fun I hope we get some good and different ideas from yobbers trying to cook something new!

om nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

would farro be good with veal stock i bet it would because everything is

Totally it's got a nutty flavor that would be awesome

Edit: also it loves pork belly. like do that risotto method I mentioned earlier but before you add the onions render some diced uncured pork belly in the oil (use less oil) and toast the farro in pork fat and butter then veal stock instead of chicken stock gently caress yea

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 7, 2015

om nom nom

landy. posted:

so do you guys want to give up now, or...

You're just lucky I'm not competing. Although my money's on the guy who's first post about the competition involved veal stock

om nom nom

Packed and ready so I can get them out after work. Saran wrapped as gently caress cause I'm gonna try and get them in a flat rate envelope. I'm gonna find padded ones but I figure every little bit helps.

This is kinda neat I've never done a crossover from internet to real life before. I'm excited to get some people to try a new food which I think is awesome.

Also I learned that my special lady friend is totally cool with me mailing grains to people from the internet and having our address due to the return address so that's nice.

om nom nom

alnilam posted:

In my book everyone who cooks something they enjoyed is a winner

Also these are the rules of the contest and the prize is the satisfaction of cooking something for yourself and free farro

om nom nom

I sent you guys tracking numbers I was thinking we should do a separate food challenge thread so people who wouldn't click on this thread will get to see it. Let me know when the farro starts arriving

om nom nom

Nothing yet? The anticipation is killing me

om nom nom

Hooray for the postal service, glad it all arrived intact. Looking forward to what comes next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom

I'm all for farro flour, in this contest everything is made up and the points aren't real. And ingenuity is definitely worth some pretend points