Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please

forums poster

i need to start planning and making lunches to freeze like curry and burritos and poo poo. maybe make a proper bolognese and make a lasagna

I don't like to eat the same thing every day but if I make like 5 servings of a bunch of different things I can stagger it, but that means I have to freeze them

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

what's a good veggie sub for beef broth? veggie stock with some fish sauce maybe?

more falafel please

forums poster

I'm making Kung pao chicken somewhere vaguely between takeout style and more traditional, still gloopy sauce and canned water chestnuts but with real black vinegar and shaoxing wine and sichuan peppercorn

definitely have some changes for next time (and next time I won't forget to make rice until the sauce is already thickening :negative:)

more falafel please

forums poster

wow there's so much Sichuan peppercorn in this it's kinda too much

more falafel please

forums poster

it would look better if I had any non-orange bell peppers. the only thing that isn't brown is the chilies and scallions

and yeah it was just too much sichuan peppercorn. gonna have to cut it in half or more next time

more falafel please

forums poster

this is very specifically for pasta, but: make your sauce in one pan, boil your pasta (in very well salted water! the water should taste like seawater! salt is cheap) in another pan for a minute less than the package instructions, transfer it into your sauce with whatever pasta water comes along for the ride, and then use a heat-proof measuring cup or something to get a half-cup or so (250 ml) of pasta water out of the pot. add a little bit of that salty starchy pasta water and finish cooking the pasta in the sauce while stirring a lot. your sauce has to have enough fat at this stage so if it doesn't add some butter or olive oil or cream or grated parm or any combination. you should end up with a beautifully emulsified sauce that is glossy and clings to every noodle like its life depends on it

more falafel please

forums poster

on a way more basic note: browning/crispiness only happens in the absence of water, so if you're trying to brown something that's releasing water, make sure the pan isn't crowded, cook it with enough fat, and you can hear the change from when it's releasing water and making steam noises to when it's browning and making frying noises

more falafel please

forums poster

i got a really nice stainless steel fry pan for my birthday, and it's very nice. I've always wanted to like cast iron but I've never actually gotten the seasoning to the point where it's nonstick (which I'm sure is a technique problem). but most of the time I don't need a pan to be nonstick, and with this pan I can use any utensil I want and not worry about ruining it or scraping some junk in my food. it's nice and heavy too so it holds heat well

more falafel please

forums poster

Escape From Noise posted:

Man. I wish I had a cast iron skillet. The big teppan I have is pretty good but I love a good cast iron skillet. drat

they're pretty cheap new and there's a million of them out there at flea markets and estate sales and things if you don't mind having to restore them. but seriously a 10" lodge skillet is $18 on amazon rn, as cookware goes it's some of the cheapest stuff around

more falafel please

forums poster

along those lines, a bit of hot sauce can often really bring a dish together even if it's not supposed to be spicy. it's salt, acid, and heat, and often has other complimentary flavors like garlic and smoke

more falafel please

forums poster

Derpies posted:

Mirepoix

gently caress yeah dude it sure is

more falafel please

forums poster

I was down near starved rock a couple months ago and got takeout from a hole in the wall Cajun place that was amazing. jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp etoufee. partner got blackened catfish and that was also great.

i asked for hot sauce and they asked "crystal or sriracha" which was :psyduck:

more falafel please

forums poster

looks like it's basically annato, pretty standard staple spices and msg https://www.skinnytaste.com/homemade-sazon-seasoning-mix/

more falafel please

forums poster

that recipe is for how to make it without MSG, which I want to go on record as being opposed to on principle, so I guess reduce the salt a bit and add msg

more falafel please

forums poster

I put chili crisp on some chili today and then I went back and put more on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please

forums poster

i made a turkey yesterday because... solstice? which means I have turkey stock and more bones to make more turkey stock