Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Wait I'm confused, at what point did that guy die

Drug muling in the flight. You swallow a condom full of drugs, but if the condom bursts in your stomach, you overdose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I think I'll sign up. I played Wraith once and this seems like the New World of Darkness version.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Oh poo poo yeah um leave flaws blank I don't know what they do yet either. They've not come up in LP or Xylo's games.

I mentioned I'm new to this, right?

In old world of darkness you could take them at character creation for a set amount of extra XP. In new world of darkness you take them and every time you role play your flaw or that it impacts the game, you get bonus XP. For ease of bookkeeping I like to make sure everyone has equal XP, so I don't allow them in my games, but it's up to you.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Okay, so, can you clarify how it is we are reborn?

Do we come back to life instantly? Do we wake up in the morgue a day later? What I'm getting at is do our characters have to find a new life? Are there tons of questions from friends/loved ones/witnesses about how they saw us decapitated or why the cancer completely disappeared when we were on our deathbed or what?

I've got a few ideas for characters, but if they died in a public way, that could make it awkward.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
How long after our first death will the game be taking place? My character will have died quite publicly and in the moments after his death, he'll have wanted to escape and keep his real identity quiet. Are we starting right after death, and I should leave that escape up to how you/the dice decide, or is it going to be a day or two later?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
mills's character, who was basically mills

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
His character had his head ripped off.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Here's my character:

Here's his Threshold:

Here's his Geist:

Background:

Colonel Michael Evans, born and raised in Canberra. He'd always wanted to be an explorer, but his grades never kept up with his ambition. Naturally charismatic and attractive, Michael joined the Royal Australian Air Force in the flight program. He graduated with honors, by virtue of classmates slipping him copies of the exam answers. With some help from friends in high places, he got his name put ahead of more qualified people and ended up being loaned out to NASA. He was finally going to be an explorer. He excelled at all the physical, psychological, and manual tests, though again his written exams were a little more harrowing. With some reservations, NASA approved him for space flight. His first mission, he was to be the co-pilot on a routine resupply mission to the International Space Station. The trip was short and uneventful, but he'd never felt anything so amazing as being in space. However, during re-entry, a red light came on his display. He wracked his brain trying to remember what that meant. "You got that?" the mission commander asked. "Oh yeah, she's alright," he responded, sweating and staring at the red light, now blinking frantically. He was terrified to admit that he had no clue what he was doing and that he didn't belong there in the first place. If he admitted his ignorance, they'd never let him go back up. Mission control radioed in, but he assured them everything was under control, that he'd already handled it, as he closed his eyes, praying to remember what he was supposed to do. His prayers were never answered.

His shuttle burnt up on re-entry somewhere north of Canberra. However he was offered a second chance by the shadowy figure of an old hunter. The hunter told him there was so much more out there to explore, so much that no one had ever seen or done before. Michael jumped at the chance.

He awoke in field of grain, surrounded by firey wreckage, body broken but impossibly alive, with an old compass in his hand. He realized no one would believe him if he told them how he'd survived. He knew they would question him endlessly, that they would find out the truth and forever expose him for the fraud and the coward that he really is. Had he been given a second chance at life only to spend it all in prison? Better if everyone thought he really was dead. That way they'd have to treat him with some respect, assume the best, that there really was some unpreventable malfunction.

He dragged himself to a homeless shelter and feigned amnesia or insanity, while he coped with his guilt and confusion and fear. The hunter, however, pressured him to go out and explore.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
If that's too big or conflicts with the theme or something I'm cool with totally changing it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Hm. Maybe I'll change his hometown. I made him a Australian cause I was going to have him survive and them request to go home to Canberra on leave, but that would take months of debriefing so I changed it to him just escaping the debris and ditching his past.

I actually looked it up and here has been one Australian astronaut

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I updated mine a little too, changing my keys from Primeval and Passion to Primeval and Stillness, and increasing Shroud to 2 and decreasing Oracle to 1.

So, does that mean that I have Primeval Shroud 1 and 2, Stillness Shroud 1 and 2, Primeval Oracle 1 and Stillness Oracle 1?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

As I was whining about the pages and pages dedicated to describing what each manifestation does, I couldn't help thinking that there are players out there who would know it all off by heart, would have figured out the most game-breaking powers and would play each game exactly the same way, and would spend hours arguing with the DM about the definition of "harm" in paragraph 7 of page 193. I'm actually happier that most of you guys don't know the rules.

This is why I only let people who have never played werewolf into my game. It also means if something is blatantly overpowered you can change it before they ever see it.

For reference I'd never heard of Geist until I signed up so I'm in the dark as much as the others when it comes to the intricate mechanics.

I played Wraith, but it was in Old World of Darkness and it was also in a situation where I'd never played it before and the DM was carefully controlling what we had access to, so I don't know much about it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

i dont get this reference, what is it

in my werewolf game, the characters went to an MMA gym to make some extra money by putting one of their guys in the ring, using super werewolf powers on the sly, and bet all their money on them.

But werewolves in certain circumstances (like being beaten up in an MMA fight) may go berserk and kill everything around them uncontrollably, and welp.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Hahaha. Whoops!

Sulla: my werewolf game is like, cartoonish and exaggerated, so I don't know if it'd be a great signifier for how this game will go, in terms of what to expect.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

For the smaller keystones (i.e. everyone's except BCR) you can pull them into the real world and push them back to the twilight with a thought, and many of the bound carry their keystones on display in the real world. Ghosts, geists and the bound will immediately recognise a keystone for what it is. You can never actually lose or destroy your keystone: If you lose it in the real world, recalling it to you is simply a matter of pushing it into the Twilight and pulling it back out, and if it's destroyed it will sit in the twilight for the rest of the scene.

In that case I'd like to change my keystone to a handgrenade.

(just kidding)

Tirade posted:

Additional BCR Death Ute Keystone Rules:
Bringing a large keystone into the real world requires a bit more effort. 1 point of plasm to bring it in, then it will stick around for the remainder of the scene before fading back into the Twilight.
You can't materialise it somewhere where there's already something solid, so it won't work in confined spaces, nor can you solidify it through another person.
You can materialise it over someone's head, but they've got a diceroll to try to move out of the way.

Oh, so 90% of the time, his ute won't exist in the realworld, but he can summon it at any time and it lasts a scene.

For Sulla, Soag, and BCR, these kinds of games use "scene" as an abstract unit of time. It's basically like a scene in a movie. It lasts as long as the action is going on or until we cut away to something else. A scene can last anywhere from a couple minutes to several hours, depending on what you're doing.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Dunstan

One of the dogs begins to whine softly, and rolls around on its back. The Comancheros are paying you $110 to walk the dogs, that's way more than your going rate of $25! Four point four times more, you think. Well, you think you thought it. Weird.
hahahah

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm going to make another tiny modification to my character: I'm shifting a point from Survival to Firearms, and changing my specialty from Drive (Spacecraft) to Firearms (Pistols) because my character would have been trained on how to use a sidearm, and I don't think there will be many spaceships in this game.

------//------

I was looking at our character sheets to see who was the best at what. Turns out we're an extremely well-rounded group that has just about everything covered.

Hambeet's the fightin'est. BCR has social stuff down, as well as driving (obviously) and repair stuff. Soag's got stealth, computers, and illegal stuff. Sulla's smarter and faster than everyone by a wide margin. I made my character kind of middle-of-the-road so I could cover/help with whatever other people need.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Beetfauxnen posted:

I, realise that, i use, a lot of commas, when i write. I write, something and then have to go back, and delete, all the super,flous comma's.

Ditto,

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Beetfauxnen posted:

I might change my keystone, I have not idea what I could use a plate for. I'll have a think about it. Slide rule?

I thought the plate was pretty neat. It occurs to me mine could've been more useful, especially with the "always returns" property and my character's specialty at throwing.

Actually I took direction sense, so the compass is kind of pointless I guess!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Just want to say I'm really enjoying everyone's characters so far.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Ok cock-up number 1 spotted. Xylo you may have been confused by the fact that the date on the notice board message was a few months prior to when the game is set. That was a bit of a boo-boo, it's been updated.

Don't even know how that happened.

Oh no, I guess I misread the month. I even scrolled up to check the date and realized the funeral would be tomorrow night.

Also after considering it, I'd like to change my keystone from a compass to a knife. Does our keystone relate to our Geist or to us? Would it be more in-line with things for it to be an aircraft survival knife, a swiss army knife, or some kind of jungle explorer's knife?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Xylo's manifestations:

The Shroud: Defensive ability. Pushes plasm out through your skin to form a protective barrier, with precise results varying according to the key. The actual effect is invisible to anyone except other sin-eaters or ghosts. Base power costs 1 plasm and is an instant action, and remains in play for the remainder of the scene or until dismissed. All successful shroud activations add an armour bonus equal to the number of dots you have in the shroud skill. Each key provides a minor additional effect at the 1-dot level and extra stuff as the skill improves.

• Primeval Shroud: The 1-dot version has the potential to be stronger than the other shrouds, and so for an extra plasm you can add your stamina to your armour bonus (in addition to the shroud armour) for a single roll. The 2-dot version allows you to spend additional plasm to temporarily boost your physical attributes for a single roll: 1 point of plasm per point in strength, dexterity or stamina. Can't spend more than the dots you have in animal ken or shroud skill (so 1 for Michael as he currently stands).

• Stillness Shroud: 1-dot version provides a bonus to stealth, 1 extra die per point in the shroud skill. The 2-dot version costs an extra plasm and makes you invisible to other people: you'll still show up on cameras and on infra-red goggles but people won't notice you unless you make a noise or draw attention to yourself by e.g. touching them. This seems ripe for abuse but gently caress it, I'm not gonna change it. Should be fun.

The Oracle: Provides heightened awareness, sensory powers, and even clairvoyance.

• Primeval Oracle: Heightened senses of the beast. While this is unlocked, you add your activation successes to your dice pool for all animal ken and survival rolls, and also to any wits-based perception rolls. Higher levels gives you additional animalistic senses, such as picking up on the mood of people around you, and outdoorsy-type skills.
  • Stillness Oracle: Insight into the dead. While unlocked, this will add activation successes to any investigation or medicine related rolls when dealing with a dead body or other physical remains. Higher levels improve this such that you can interrogate the dead and even temporarily absorb their knowledge and expertise.

I swear I've never played this game before, I didn't know I was making Martian Manhunter. I'll remember the rest of the party when I'm on the Watchtower.

And yeah, Michael was just going to wander around today and feel like poo poo and maybe try to help out some other homeless people until it's time to go to the fair. Totally cool fast-forwarding to that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah he's in like all the cartoons. He has invisibility, invulnerability, and mind reading powers, which it seems like I do too.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I consent to fast forward plot exposition. My character will studiously deny being a dead astronaut until it is explained that they all died, then he'll acknowledge it to y'all but only y'all.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Hey tirade thanks for the fast forward to where we get to ask questions and also for the cool exposition. :) Much appreciated.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Soag's gonna be suspended from this scene. I'll have the results of the first round ready in a sec. Xylo let me know which way you want to run for cover - east, south, or ute.

Haha. I wasn't going to be awake for another 4 hours but my kid woke me up like 5 minutes after you posted this.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

Good stuff. Here's some details on your starting manifestations:

The Curse: Puts some long-term misery on a target. Costs 1 plasm to activate, lasts one day per success on your roll. You've got to touch your target to start it. You can put a trigger on the curse so that it doesn't start straight away, so for example "the next time you wake up", "the next time you see a Liberal politician", etc, but that's a bit more difficult than it starting straight away (you roll with a 2 dice penalty).

• Pyre-flame Curse: The 1-dot version stops your target from making fire. Lighters spark but don't catch, matches break when your target tries to strike them. If the target lights something from a secondary source (e.g. a bit of paper in a roaring fire) the flame dies as they watch. The 2-dot version costs an extra 1 plasm, and extends the fire-blocking effect to a range of about 3 metres per dot of psyche you have around the target. No-one can make any kind of fire in the target's radius, and existing flames go out.

The Rage: Straight up attacking power. You're essentially letting your geist off its leash, and it smites people with ghostly vengeance. Hits a target at a range of three metres per dot of psyche.

• Pyre-flame Rage: Wreathes the target in ghostly flames. The heat is psychosomatic while at the 1-dot level, will do a point of bashing damage per success.

Sulla, I think you've got your powers mixed a bit. Pyre-flame Curse stops the person from being able to make fires for the rest of the day and you need to touch them, Pyre-flame Rage lets you set them on fire at a distance.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh I forgot all about speed scores. Yeah, your character is the fastest and has the best reaction time. I'm pretty fast too, I'll have to keep that in mind.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah I have 3. Oh well, my character's spineless, so it makes sense that he'll have to indulge his vice to get back willpower (cowardice).

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Tirade posted:

I was hoping to get the next round of combat done this morning but didn't have time. I'll get to it this arvo.

Xylo what's your setup for storing notes, character sheets, and other assorted story stuff? I'm using Evernote for npcs and health / plasm / willpower tracking which seems to work fairly well, and a dice app on my phone.

I used notepad on my PC mostly. I had one notepad where I typed up everyone's stats and what powers they had so I could reference it as needed, and at the top I had commonly used rolls for all players (what each person rolled to punch, to sneak, to spot things). I had another similar notepad for NPCs, villains, and some premade stats for generic vampires, generic thugs, generic cops. I had another notepad for general game info—character ideas (Swires left evidence behind), potential plot hooks (vampire prince is covering for them?), things people did and when things are going to happen (JP returns to apartment Wednesday). On that pad, during combat, I wrote a one or two word description of what each player was doing (Jarrod running forward, Alf punching thug; turn 3, new bad guys show up) so I could easily see what was going on without searching the thread, and who I'm waiting on.

For tracking Rage, Gnosis, and Willpower, I had a simple tally app that worked really well. But then it got an automatic update and it erased all my tallies which basically was a nightmare and that's about when my game had to take a break. I don't know what's a good solution there.

And I used a dice rolling app (Natural 20 but that's iphone only).

I could generally run the game from my phone but combat always meant me having to be at the computer.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

Find a other app that doesn't randomly wipe on updater( none should though, did you back your phone up on your PC ever?)

Nope. It was some small app with no reviews that just happened to meet my needs, but I've heard evernote is really good.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I rarely hook it up to my PC. It's my first smart phone and I haven't had it very long, so there's stuff I guess I'm dumb about.

All my technological know-how is solidly rooted in the years I was in high school, when I had time to keep up to date. I can tell you all about defragging your hard drive.

For Tirade, I don't know if this will help, but I basically used my notepads as very loose, very disorganized ways to arrange my thoughts and reference stuff. Here's a few snippets from my main note file.

code:
Perception+Alertness
splode/Doug	 - (4+2)=6
coq/Boon	 - (3+3)=6
bell jar/Jarrod  - (4+0)=4
hambeet/alf 	 - (3+3)=6
TBK/Selene       - (2+3)=5
bifauxnen/Raj	 - (4+2)=6
lizard c /Swires - (4+2)=6
Marvin		 - (3+2)=5

Wits+Engimas
splode/Doug	 - (4+0)=4
coq/Boon	 - (3+0)=3
bell jar/Jarrod  - (3+2)=5
hambeet/alf 	 - (4+2)=6
TBK/Selene       - (3+2)=5
bifauxnen/Raj	 - (3+2)=5*
lizard c /Swires - (4+0)=4

Jarrod: Spend a Rage to get there, spend two rage to use thunderclap [Diff 8: vampire: success. thug 1: success. thug 2: botch.
Selene: Going up ahead
Swires: Waiting for a target.
Marvin: Spending a Rage to get back up and into position, activating Heightened Senses [(4+0) diff 7. 1 success. Again to jump into position. 1 success.]
Doug: tries to fire again [(3+0) diff 7. 0 successes.]
Boon: Runs to South-side of building
Alf: Jumping to southeast container [(5+0) diff 6. 3 successes.]
Raj: Watches to see if the bad guys are about to shoot back

Wyrm Caern: Elanora Park, in the mangrove trees

Vampire night club: west end

Andrej Zdislav - Tzimisce - Wolffdene.

Adrian Santiago - St. John's Cathedral - Lasombra. 

fighting spirits:
willpower=dex/stamina
rage=strength
gnosis=mental/social
power=health

Fire spirit:
rage6, gnosis 5, willpower 5, power 30

pain spirits:
rage 4, gnosis 4, willpower 4, power 10

Things that've happened: 
Raj sent a letter to his parents. They'll receive it Monday.
	--Raj told his parents to back off
Raj contacted Glass Walkers, but they won't meet until JP is dead. They offer him a mission instead
JP will emerge from the Umbra on Wednesday and try to ingratiate himself back with his Bank
Selene will be HUNTED by the Sabbat now.

Calendar:
Tuesday: rescued by Blacktail, fought truckasaurus
Wednesday: arrived at Blacktail's, learned powers, JP escapes, Wendigo chosen
Thursday: SUV, fire spirit, BSd skirmish #1, hospital, hacking
Friday: research, looted silver

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Nah, no spoilers. Seeing as how Selene dealt directly with a major Sabbat dude (Jet), and then tried to murder him, and then he escaped, I think it's pretty obvious she's got a big target on her head!

Although I guess y'all didn't know there was a vampire in the second car that Jarrod thunderclapped, and he wasn't affected by it at all. But otherwise, I only included bits that've already come to pass, to give you an idea of how totally loosely I had the whole thing planned/arranged.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
How do specialties work, by the way? I have a specialty in throwing, but I'm not sure how that factors into dice pool.

BCR posted:

1) How about we take the living thugs somewhere more quiet
2) or do a quick interrogation here and leave them with smokes people?

I've got talking skills, and one other has talking skills I think.

That sort of thing might need to be done quick, since presumably the Royals are going to want that prisoner, and I bet one of them has to have weird mind reading powers.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh fantastic driving by the way. Smashed the gently caress out of that one dude.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Well he posted in D&D Auspol yesterday. It was a tiny post so maybe he's super busy or his internet sucks.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Woodstock

"I'll do it. I'll be good cop. I'll good cop the poo poo out of this guy. By the time I'm finished with him we're going to be spooning in the park and feeding each other strawberries. Do you have any strawberries? No. Ok, that's ok. I'm not really hungry. Let's do this. I'm the good cop, yeah? Right on. Good cop. Good cop. Wait, what about my uniform? Oh no, I get you. Nevermind. I just confused myself for a second. I'm good, let's do this."
lmao

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Ok I will reply tomorrow morning

also it might not be out of character for frank to fail and Dunstan to succeed

its a subtle check for social awareness and Dunstan spends a lot of time managing dogs in a pack environment, so it makes sense for him to be good at that

and frank is American so it makes sense that he has no clue how to interact with people at sub-200 decibels

I'm Michael, BCR is Frank.

To be honest, though, I had to check the other day, because I forgot which boring name I went with.

Tirade posted:

Also this way you get all the fun of maybe getting a lead or plot point without the drawbacks of getting stuck with the hostage. Previous Auspol games have established that y'all aren't so great in that situation.

Hahah, true.

Matthew Beet posted:

I can't see char sheet because phone posting bit I think Dunstan has high empathy but only one intelligence so it was purely empathy that carried that roll.

Yeah, I have 1 Int, 1 Empathy. Worth a shot, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Matthew Beet posted:

1 int? Michael and Dunstan are like twins. Our new names can be tweedle dee and tweedle dum as we stumble from scene to scene.

BCR's character and Soag's character both have 1 int, too. Fortunately, to guide this simpering lot of buffoons, we have Sulla's character, with 3 Intelligence, 4 points in Academics and 3 in Science.

As an insurance policy, though, I took the Common Sense merit. I don't know if it works the same way in New World of Darkness, but in Old World of Darkness, it meant that if I'm about to do something with disastrous consequences, the storyteller can straight up say "You think this is a bad idea" or "You think it'd be a better idea to do this other thing."

• Locked thread