Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I really wanted it way back when I had a dreamcast (instead of a PS2 lol) but I asked my mom for Shenmue instead and never got to play it. I always thought it looked pretty neat though. flying around in a skyboat, stabbin dudes and discovering strange floating islands and upgrading my sweet pirate base. instead I just played lucky hit over and over again and perfected the art of 'That one Elbow Move That Kills In One Hit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i liked it but mostly the flying around exploring bit. also the plot was ok. combat wasn't as fun as grandia 2

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It was very grindy, get the Gamecube version since they lowered the random encounter rate.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
feel ya op, got evolution instead :smith:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
i only played it on the dreamcast but the encounter rate was pretty insane. you used to be able to cancel out of the random encounters on the dc because you'd hear the disc spin up any time the encounter was about to begin; you could pause and wait for it to spin down and avoid the encounter that way. fun game otherwise.

like other guy said, get the cube version.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

the only thing I have to game on right now is a crappy laptop that dies when I try to run dolphin so I'll probably not get around to playing any version anytime soon. I should probably just buy a wii when I stop being poor.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
are there any games with combat similar to how the ship fights work? I love this game once it picks up, but can't bring myself to replay the slow-rear end opening

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's official Imp Zone name, Cries of Fartkadia, should tell you all you need to know about this, OP. Farewell.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
It's my favorite jrpg due to the scope and sense of discovery mixed with good ol charm and wimsy and the dynamic boss music was neat. A good time adventure

Make no mistake though it's a jrpg

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Skies of arcadia is good and worth getting, the Dreamcast had a real small number of RPGs so it and Shenmue are the two best games on the system.

Evolution 1 and 2 got Ported to the Gamecube as well and Grandia II was ported to the PS2. Despite the PS2 version having real bad framerate issues, this version became a collector's item because of how limited in production it was.

If you were real lucky you could have gotten the Grandia II and Jade Cocoon II two pack at Walmart.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Didn't the Grandia II port get all hosed up and the little kid character didn't have any color or something? I played the game forever ago, all I remember are the obnoxiously long spell-casts in the end game and the main character screaming MELPHIS over and over.

Also Skies of Arcadia is good. It has a good mixture of seriousness and whimsy and the simplistic combat system works well.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Grandia 2 was a lot of fun too, but I was kind of a dumb kid so a lot of the mechanics went over my head and I got stuck at the last boss. It was the first RPG I played where one of the characters die permanently and that was a hell of a trip for me at the time.

Also spent hours trying bullshit internet rumors to get the bad guy in my party. Good times

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yes*. This and tales of symphonia were the only jrpgs i actually liked. Vyse is also really badass in valkyria chronicles, like gamebreakingly good

*for the gamecube

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Fellis posted:

Yes*. This and tales of symphonia were the only jrpgs i actually liked. Vyse is also really badass in valkyria chronicles, like gamebreakingly good

*for the gamecube

same

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i thought SoA was overrated and i was the queerest and biggest sega fan in the world when that game came out

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i played the cube version and it is cool and fun. it has good atmosphere and graphics. i kinda didn't like the direction it went in towards the end but its a cool game, OP.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Schnedwob posted:

are there any games with combat similar to how the ship fights work? I love this game once it picks up, but can't bring myself to replay the slow-rear end opening

Been a while since I've played it, but combat's the same as any other turn based RPG, just cleaner with a smaller than average pool of more useful than average skills. Ship fights are the same. Ship navigation is pretty cool, though, it's an rpg world map except 3 dimensional and sort of dynamic.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
tales of symphonia was a dumb bad game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Skies of Arcadia is good. It is not perfect, but it is also not dumb, and that counts for a lot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Concordat posted:

tales of symphonia was a dumb bad game

it's okay but hard to justify playing today because later tales games did the 3d fighting thing way better, with innovative ideas like "actually being able to control 3d movement"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I unironically enjoy anime, but the Tales games' writing is too anime for me. It make me cringe really hard.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Srice posted:

it's okay but hard to justify playing today because later tales games did the 3d fighting thing way better, with innovative ideas like "actually being able to control 3d movement"

When you're starved for RPGs of any kind like the Gamecube was you take what you can get. But even then, Skies of Arcadia and Paper Mario were better choices.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I like Tales of Xillia and am super pumped to the max for ToX2 this Tuesday.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Butt Ghost posted:

I unironically enjoy anime, but the Tales games' writing is too anime for me. It make me cringe really hard.

Eternal Sonata is amazing though. It's Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden played unflinchingly straight. I'm talking scene transitions from anime Chopin cutting a sick combo on a multicolored albatross to a fullscreen modern stock photo of Austria overlaid with real-life Chopin facts accompanied by Piano Sonata No.2. No knowing nods, no fourth wall breaking. This is happening and you are the weirdo for laughing at it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh poo poo, really? I had been interested in Eternal Sonata ever since it came out, but never enough to actually pick it up. I might do that some time. That and Folklore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

eternal sonata also features a death speech that lasts literally over three minutes

and it's pretty funny how chopin's dying dream is like 50% ten year old girls

I didn't like it at the time but maybe i was too young to appreciate something for being stupid. I'll buy it for ps3 sometime.

• Locked thread