Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.
Backstory: I suffer from depression. I have for most of my life. I have learned that I need to distract myself during the rough times. Idle hands are the devil's playthings, etc. So I started looking around for new web shows to watch. I came across TableTop on Youtube. This is Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day's show about tabletop gaming. I found it highly entertaining and it even got me wanting to start playing games with my friends. Cut to a few months later, I am sick of playing board games on my lovely Wal*mart $60 table. I wanted something new and fabulous.

I remembered the table that Wil Wheaton uses on his show. It's from https://geekchichq.com. Holy poo poo! They want $2750-4000 for that table. gently caress that! I wonder if I can design and build my own. So I grabbed a graph paper notebook and started coming up with designs of what I wanted out of the table. I knew I wanted cupholders to keep people from spilling on the play surface. I new I wanted people to have a writing surface for D&D and other games. I also decided I wanted a fancy dinner table so I could have guests over for dinner. After two weeks of many different designs, I settled on the one I thought I could pull of and began buying tools and materials. Most everything is sanded pine or 2x4s from Home Depot.

First I would need a frame.

Testing out the pullouts and cupholder placements. (no idea why the image is sideways.)
Bought some ready to install legs from Lowe's for only $22 each, which I screwed in on one side with regular 2" long screws and bolted in with one 1" thick screw.

Hindsight being 20/20, I didn't make the frame or legs as secure as they could have been, but it is still pretty sturdy.

Here's the cupholder and pull-out writing surfaces on the frame.

Stained the exterior facades of the pullouts and cupholders and added the knobs and pulls. Stain was minwax poly plus stain Mission Oak.

Attached the faces to the pullouts.

Put them in place and installed the playing surface. 1/4 velora high density foam. Softish, but not squishy. You can set a glass of wine on there and it won't just fall over. I wanted some dampening to the sound when rolling dice on the surface and I just like the feel of it.

I then covered the surface with butter suede, which is a semi stretchy fabric with a great feel to it. With a little scotchguard, it cleans up easily and has a great feel to it. I went with black.

After attaching the top railing and staining the entire rest of the table, I cut and fit the removable table toppers. A small hidden dowel under the side of the table pushes the topper up for removal. Saves you from having to pry them up or use suction cups.

I decided I wanted a two-tone look for the table top so I stained the toppers with the same stain as the rest of the table but instead of removing the stain after 15 minutes, I applied it on thick and let it stand over night. Worked great.

The finished table! However that wall looks kind of bare.

I took some of the spare planks I hade left over, did some image manipulation to create a stencil. Using a drill and a dremel, I cut out the image, added in some furring for a rear border, painted the entire thing black and added in some LED ribbon for back lighting.

Now it's finished! Though I forgot to turn on the LED lights for the picture.

Any questions or critiques, please let me know. And yes, this does help with my depression. You never know what you can accomplish until you are willing to try and possibly fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Your table is awesome, you are awesome. Seriously, that table is rad as hell.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
so what happens when someone spills on the hard surface during dinner? Is there anything to keep it from dripping down into the felt? How much do you think you spent on it?

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

adorai posted:

so what happens when someone spills on the hard surface during dinner? Is there anything to keep it from dripping down into the felt? How much do you think you spent on it?

First night I had it a friend decided to show others the nifty dowel to lift the boards... spilling my wine glass. Scotch guard is your friend. It's also why I chose black. A quick job with paper towels and no one was the wiser. I spent about $1200-1400 on it, but that includes some mistakes, some design changes after I found out certain methods don't quite work out like I want, as well as a new miter saw, orbital sander, jigsaw, circular saw, saw horses, a collapsable work bench, and a brad nailer. I would estimate I could build this again for about $700.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Wet Fifty posted:

First night I had it a friend decided to show others the nifty dowel to lift the boards... spilling my wine glass. Scotch guard is your friend. It's also why I chose black. A quick job with paper towels and no one was the wiser. I spent about $1200-1400 on it, but that includes some mistakes, some design changes after I found out certain methods don't quite work out like I want, as well as a new miter saw, orbital sander, jigsaw, circular saw, saw horses, a collapsable work bench, and a brad nailer. I would estimate I could build this again for about $700.

Tools should never be included in the price of a project, going to use them for other things too.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

JEEVES420 posted:

Tools should never be included in the price of a project, going to use them for other things too.

Yes, but I only knew the total amount spent, not the itemized list of everything.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Great looking table man! I hope to some day be able to build things that look that nice.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

evilskillit posted:

Great looking table man! I hope to some day be able to build things that look that nice.

The only wood working experience I had prior to this was 8th grade wood shop and following a guide to make some simple poker tables. Just set a goal for yourself and try doing it. You don't know what you can do until you try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Nice job! Planning to build a dining table for myself sooner or later. I hadn't thought of anything like this though, will have to see if the wife is amenable to some of these features...

• Locked thread