Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

EdBlackadder posted:

the other hand I finally picked up a Y-wing. I'm sure there's a good XXY list to be made but I can't quite get my head around it.

A Wedge/Biggs/Dutch list is basic but fun, and will give a you pretty good chance against other casual players (no idea for tournament). Put R2-F5 on Biggs and an Ion turret on Dutch, and this still gives you 15 points to play with. I assume you just have the core and X-Wing and Y-Wing expansions, but if you can borrow/buy/steal extra upgrade cards, Push the Limit and Predator are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You ever play of round of X-Wing and you do so bad it makes you want to sell the game and never look at it again? That was my night. It was miserable. I'm fine with losing (i normally do), but when my four rebel ships fail to destroy a single Academy Pilot from a swarm of 7 TIES over three rounds, I feel a little like the dice are telling me to go gently caress myself.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Sigma-X posted:

What bothers me most is that I can't find a loving falcon for under $90...

I always find this so weird. I see people online saying they can't find 'X' expansion, but pretty much every place around me, including Barnes and Noble, has everything in stock and some times at less than MSRP.

Of course, I live in a hellscape were the local community seems to prefer Star Trek Attack Wing and M:TG to anything X-Wing related, so I understand why we have stock around here.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

spacegoat posted:

Also, I'm not clear why the FAQ says that the player must decide whether they're using his ability before boosting or barrel-rolling. What's the advantage of not?

I think the FAQ states that player cannot boost or barrel-roll if it causes the ship to overlap an asteroid. I assume it has something to do with that, but I do not have the FAQ in front of me.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If I know the person and the types of ships they like, i tend to craft a quick squad based around that just so they're more interested from the get go. Then I make may squad to balance at theirs.

That, or I run a small squad with Luke and Vader with generic pilots to fill out the points if I do not know the people I will be teaching. Everyone knows Luke and Vader, and while they may not be the best pilots in the game, having that familiar touchstone for a new player usually makes them more interested. After that, I introduce the good pilots :)

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

jivjov posted:

I can live with unsleeved cards..I still haven't sleeved my Star Wars LCG collection

You monster.

I only sleeved the damage deck

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

CelestialScribe posted:

I a, dumb but can someone describe the difference between standard, cinematic and epic?

Does this mean you couldn't use this ship in just a normal game? I'm confused :(

No idea what Cinematic is, but Epic is basically a game where the squad points are really high (200? 250?, I can't remember). Huge ships like this and the rebel transport can't be used in normal games, just Epic (and I assume Cinematic).

I actually find Epic games to be really boring and overly long, and I hate that nearly essential upgrades for a small ship are included only with the Epic Ships. Sometimes, all I want is a few of the small ship pilots and upgrades, but no way am I spending all that money on the Huge ships.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Tekopo posted:

Run a two ship list! Decimator and Whisper :q:

I had a friend try this against my Lebbo/Chewi squad....it did not go well for him.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Phrosphor posted:

Cheers, this and Keylan + BWing/E2 + Kyle Katarn + Push the Limit was what I was looking at the start with till I get some more models. Thanks for the info.

I've actually really liked the A-Wing from the start, before Rebel Aces; RA just made them better. I find those zippy little fucks fun as hell to fly, and unless your up against turret only squads, I find it easy to stay out of firing arcs.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

I like this and wish it was available for my American dollar purchase.

The last 2 store tournaments I went to, there's was a a fat guy who was flying some Fat Han variant....and we was dressed as Han Solo. Vest, fake blaster pistol, pants, all of it. He's arrogant as gently caress cause he usually wins. No one really likes the guys. When I was paired with him, I grabbed a Spider-Man hoodie (the kind that zips up to form the mask and everything) off the racks,, zipped it up to cover my face, and played like that. I have no idea why, but this made him REALLY angry. It must have made the dice love me though, cause I beat him somehow, and came in third place with a Decimator and 3 ties.

That is my "trolling IRL while playing with little plastic toys" story.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I can never get VASSAL to work, let alone get things automated.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Tekopo posted:

What are you having problems with? The entire thing is Java based, so usually if you are having problems it's due to that.

Maybe that's it, dunno. I also can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to actually set it up, so I'm sometimes floundering in the dark. The more I think of it, the more I feel like I have just given myself a project for tomorrow.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If we are talking tournament squad, I did a store thing a week ago with :

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Rebel Captive (3)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Academy Pilot (12) X 2

I came in 3rd out of 8 people, so not too shabby.

Went against one guy who was using a ramming build Decimator and 2 Phantoms. He kept overshooting me (somehow) with his Deci, so I was more or less handed that round.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Welp, that looks kind of awesome. Guess I need to get two Aggressors. D looks and B both look great to me (D because I sometimes find myself completely unable to anticipate opponent movements.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

so worse ship? Hwk or advanced?

The Hwk has Roark, which serves me very well every time I use that pilot. Long range (and better) Swarm Tactics is awesome. Yeah, their dial and stats kind of suck, but I throw an ion cannon turret on it and spend the whole time staying on the outskirts and ionizing poo poo. Since pretty much no one ever uses the Hwk, it's almost as if opponents forget it exists which suits me just fine.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I like using Tycho with PTL, experimental Interface, and Marksmanship if for no other reason than it always seems to annoy people when you get three actions with one ship.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Phrosphor posted:

I really hope it isn't five rounds of losses in a row. Everyone was really chill when I started playing but now it is all laserpen arc checking and custom made movement templates, 3D asteroids and hand painted z-95's. :smith:

I use a laser line thing because I loving suck at determining if something is within arc unless I'm at range 1, doesn't matter if it's me or my opponent who needs to measure. I'm chill as gently caress, too :smug:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Phrosphor posted:

Jake has a lot of cards on him but the refit makes squad leader free, and my goal was to use him to hand out free target locks to the others, especially the e-wing that has the R7. I am tempted to drop ptl from the e-wing and upgrade the x-wing but I only have the core pilots so don't really see anything worth it.

If you can, i'd probably drop the prototype to a Z Headhunter and bump Jake up to Tycho. if you change nothing else, this gives you 99 points for initiative.

Okay, so does anyone have any thought/suggestions on this squad? Yeah, it seems kind of boring, but i seem to have luck with the Decimator. This one feels like it might need a little something, though.

Commander Kenkirk (44)
Expose (4)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Moff Jerjerrod (2)
Rebel Captive (3)
Experimental Interface (3)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Total: 99

The idea is to make the Decimator last a little longer with Kirk and Isard, and the Expose and EI is to hit hard before the defensive stuff kicks in and when I get out of arc.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 28, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
A lot of people around here like to use Predator, so I was trying to keep them above PS 2.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This is another reason I went with 3 TIEs as opposed to 2 Interceptors. I was more or less trying to make a Fat Decimator equivalent to Fat Han. No idea if it will work, but I guess I'll see. Plus, the idea of Jerjerrod killing the captives when the ship takes critical damage, then holding the gun to his own head for the rest of the match, ready to take himself out in some suicidal rage makes me laugh.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 28, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, on Saturday, I had what may have been my most satisfying victory, but I may have been pulled into some nerd grudge thing too.

I was at a store tournament, about 22 people showed up. It was four rounds. I was running Echo and Whisper, both with VI and ACD, and Yorr with engine upgrade. First round I lost HARD, but completely wiped out my next two opponents. Forth round, I'm paired off again a guy who has managed to completely destroy me the past two time i have gone against him in tournaments. He is running a 3 X-wing/3 Z Headhuner list. He's also a really cool guy, by the way.

The first full round of combat went bad for me. I thought he was going to turn at least a couple of his ships, but he didn't which meant I had Whisper jousting 5 ships head on at range one. Yeah. I took out one of the Z's in one hit, and almost took out one of the X-Wings, but Whisper still had 4 ships at range one, so that was all for Whisper after one round. Yorr clogged up the other ships enough for Echo to reposition. Yorr went down after a couple of rounds after little effect. So it's now Echo against 3 X-Wings and 2 Z's.

This is when I learned to LOVE Echo. I Jason Vorhees'ed the gently caress out of those five ships, weaving through the asteroids and picking them off one at a time. He managed to take out my shields. but he had no idea how to handle Echo's insane decloaking. I have never flown a ship so well in my life. there was a loving crowd watching because this guy rarely loses anything.

The match was set to end at 5:45. I chased his last remaining Z which had one hull for a couple rounds, then saw the time was like 5:40. I decided to run out the clock and win on points. After 2 more rounds of movement, the time was 5:50....so the organizer wasn't very good at handling the clock. gently caress it, I'll keep running. The Z put himself behind an asteroid, putting him in the place to fire at me RIGHT where I was going to go to hide away for a round. So I was contemplating the best way to decloack and still be in good shape when my friend says from the side, "You don't even have to declock...". That was the best move, one I just hadn't thought of just yet. I did my move clocked and my Phantom was way out of range. My opponent was loving PISSED at my friend. Like, seething hatered stares and everything. Next round, my opponent flew through the asteroid (he had no choice). took damage, and died. I had completely wiped him. THEN the organizer called time...at 6:00. 15 minutes late.

This win knocked my opponent out of the prizes, and I actually beat him in points because I had three complete wipes toward my opponents, so I was 3-1. I mean, I won because of time, technically, and that was the only reason my friend said anything, but now I feel like there may be some kind of nerd rage thing going. Oh well.

That is my too long story of why I now love Echo.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 2, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
There are small sleeves, but I don;t remember if it's mini Euro or what. I use penny mini sleeves, cause they work just fine.

All my pilot cards and upgrade cards are kept in a three ring binder when not in use. The pilot cards pit fit regular 9 pocket sleeves, and I use business card sleeves for the upgrades.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
You can have my little plastic toys when you pry them from my cold, dead, (greasy, sausage-fingered, Cheeto dust covered) hands.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

susan posted:

Thoughts:

“Whisper” + Fire-Control System + Advanced Cloaking Device + Veteran Instincts (39)

“Echo” + Fire-Control System + Advanced Cloaking Device + Veteran Instincts (37)

Omicron Group Pilot + Darth Vader (24)

Eh?

This is almost the exact list I used at the last store championship I went to (I had Yorr and no FCS's). The only thing that beat it was a Decimator/Whisper list. It tore through a Fat Han with some lucky rolls, destroyed a Dash list, and took out two rebel swarms (one was a XXXZZZ, the other being that BBBY list with a bunch of stress inducing stuff, which is why I was glad I had Yorr). It's a fun list, and Echo was actually more useful than Whisper, as everyone focused on Whisper allowing Echo to sneak around easier.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Halverine posted:

I was talking about my theoretical list last page which I haven't flown yet. When I was making it, I noticed that the Scum Firespray pilot cards indicated they can't fire their primary from their rear arc and decided Kath's ability made her useless unless some magic new upgrade comes out later or I had missed something. So I chose Boba instead to be the anchor.

After the discussion in this thread I became convinced that this was a FFG error and will be fixed in a FAQ. My post was meant as "Oh, this might be a mixup and Kath's ability isn't totally borked? I'll probably swap her into the list I haven't tried yet instead of Boba".

Edit: I only play casually at the moment so yes, when I thought FFG had changed the rules I was prepared to fly Scum Boba without the rear-firing primary.

I have the Fire Spray for Imperials from when they first came out. It does not have the little arrows indicating front and back firing arcs, but it was still really, really obvious that they could fire from both. Also, my YT-1300 i got when it first came out doesn't have the circular arrow to show a 360 firing arc, but no one has ever thought they couldn;t use the 360 firing arc.

If I EVER played a game with someone who was a little bitch about this, I'd just stop play and leave. Seriously.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Imperial Firespray pilot cards all have the auxiliary fire arc icon on them. Per the rules FAQ, you need the icon on your pilot card to fire your primary out of your auxiliary arc. Imperial Firespray pilots have the icon and can do this. Scum Firespray pilots do not have the icon and so currently, per the rules as they exist for the game, cannot actually fire their primary out of their auxiliary arc.

That's the thing; none of my Imperial Firespray pilot cards have the arrows. They were pre-ordered before they were ever released, and they do not have the arrows, but I never heard of anyone ever bringing this up before.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

I'm gonna request a scan of this.

When I get home tonight, I can get a picture or something.

edit: Or I cold have images of them saved to my Dropbox for some reason. the third picture is the alt art Imperial Boba Fett, and it doesn't have the arrows either. In fact, neither does Han, Chewie or Lando, as I found out from a quick Google Image search. I highly doubt these would be any kind of issue in a tournament.

I'm really not wanting to draw this conversation out, I'm just pointing out that it's an obvious misprint, or they were just using the older asset templates for the Firespray that didn't have the arrows to begin with.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 9, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Not for nothing, but what do people think of this list?

Tycho Celchu (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Jake Farrell (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Wild Space Fringer (30)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Dash Rendar (2)
Outrider (5)

Total: 99

it just kind of seem fun and possibly useful.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Biaga posted:

As it happens, I have enjoyed the phantom the most so far.

I will pick up another Tie fighter, I have heard fielding a few is always a good idea and an easy way to compensate for spare points.

What about the tie bomber/defender?

They are both fun to fly, but neither are very good for tournaments and the like. The bomber kind of requires too much ordinance to be really useful, and without Munitions Failsafe (which comes with Rebel Aces) it can be a really hit or miss think. The Defender is a lot of fun to fly, but is really over priced, on par with the big ships without the benefit of having the big ships durability.

With that said, if you do not plan on tournaments, i say go for them , whichever you want first, because they both can be a blast to fly.

actually, the defender comes with the Predator EPS, so get that one first.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
A-Wings have Jake Farrell, so any hate on the A-Wing is invalid. Using his free action and PTL to boost twice always catches the people I play with by surprise. And he can do free barrel rolls. I have taken out Soontir Fel so much with Jake it's not funny.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Jake states that when you take a focus or are assigned a focus, you can do one free action, either boost or barrel roll. From my understanding, free means it does not count as used from your action bar.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 7, 2015

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

soulfulspinster posted:

Yeah, nope. We had a player near me doing this exact thing until the FAQ cleared it up too.

However, watching a Jake and kyle boost party was always a good time.

Well, gently caress. Good thing I hadn't taken that to a tournament yet. Jake still rules.

So, since it is free, it does still mean I can boost, use PTL, gain a stress, assign a focus, then barrel roll (since the action is free), right?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

Free just means it doesn't use up your action ability for the turn. A good way to think about it is like magic where it's the difference between "your next spell costs 0" and "you can play an additional (otherwise restricted) spell and it costs 0."

Almost correct. You want to do it before you gain the stress, otherwise you can't do actions. This is also why placing stress to prevent re-cloaking with phantoms is a valid strategy.

yeah, in my example, I should have gained the stress at the end, but at least my thinking on this is finally right.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Cobbsprite posted:

The best prize for X-wing is bragging rights. Second best is promo cards.

I liked the way this one TO did it at one of the recent store tournaments I went to:
He took all the prize stuff, and make small piles according to how many players there were. Three piles had store gift cards (like $50 - $30 - $20), all piles had alt art Soontir Fel, a lot of the piles had the dice bags, and all others had what seemed like random promo stuff like acrylic cloak tokens, Range Rulers, Alt art cards like Nien Numb and Bombers and poo poo. First place picked the pile he wanted, then second picked and so on.

I somehow ended up with the alt art Soonit, acrylic cloak, dice bad, and alt art Boba Fett (that I sold on Ebay on $150).

Dead last place automatically got Soontir and a $15 gift cert.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't enjoy talking about prizes or how some of them fetch for a decent price (if you care to sell them) because doing so only attracts the bad people.

I was just saying I liked this kind of set up because even the lower ranking people got some cool stuff. No One was left out. I only took the Boba Fett because I like using Boba Fett and didn;t always want to bring the over-sized card every time. I sold it after everyone was making a big stink about Fire Spray cards not having the little arrows for scum and promos, and because I like money more than the card.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

jassi007 posted:

So I'm a new player and trying to understand the change to cloaking. Is this an accurate summary? Before: decloak before the phantom revealed its dial. After: decloak after all ships have moved, and taken their actions.

Before: Just before you reveal your Phantom's dial, you can decloak, do the 2 speed decloak move, then reveal the dial and do that.
After (now): At the very start of the activation phase, before ANYONE can reveal their dials, you may decloak and do the 2 speed decloak move. Then, when your phantom's turn comes around, you do your turn as normal.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

I reads like a copy/paste from any Magic:TG tournament.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Chill la Chill posted:

wtf guys we're supposed to be better than the magic group. :mad:

Last weekend, I went to an escalation tournament (which I somehow won and went undefeated...no idea how) and there was a medium-ish group of Magic players in the same room, probably about 12 of them and 10 X-Wingers. Every twenty minutes or so, the entire room started to smell of wet farts on a hot day. It was overpowering. I have no idea if it was one of the M:TG players or an X-Winger, but no one would take claim of those crimes against humanity. After 3 times of this happening, I casually mentioned, "Whoever is dropping all that rear end, please stop". It still happened again during the. final round of the tournament, but at least there was a prolonged period of peace beforehand..

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

grassy gnoll posted:

Come to think of it, is there anything preventing me from using his action to boost, PTL -> focus, then boost again?

You can't boost twice. I know this because I made that mistake. You can, however; take a focus, barrel role, then boost.

Also, any advice on these two lists? Going to a store tournament soon and want to try something Scum related.

Kavil (24)
Push the Limit (3)
Blaster Turret (4)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Predator (3)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Proximity Mines (3)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

OR

Hired Gun (20)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Hired Gun (20)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Kath Scarlet (Scum) (38)
Predator (3)
Proximity Mines (3)
Intelligence Agent (1)
Inertial Dampeners (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Total: 100

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BattleMaster posted:

The Firespray is fantastic but I want to see if I can get a little Z-95 swarm to work or make things happen with Dace or Palob in a Hawk along with something else. Totally not giving up my Y-wings though.

My go to load-out for a Kavil (Scum Y-wing) is PTL, Unhinged Astromech, Blaster Turret, and EU. Ran that with Kath w/EU and predator, and M3 Space Cartel with an ion cannon and did pretty decent at the last store tournament (went 2/2).

I know some people prefer Auto Blaster Turret on Kavil, but the meta around here is still so full of high pilot skill arc dodgers that the range one thing is pretty tough.

• Locked thread