Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
To be fair it's a moot point. Lowell plays loose enough with the advancement systems that Ohone has grown far and away stronger than a normal Dark Heresy or RT character with this much time in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Wasn't it only like 1 person that was crying about it?

Id have to reread the thread, tbh. If people want XP for references again, we can do that too. Im here for the players :D

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I like the gamey aspects of this, the XP, the dicerolls (whenever they actually happen), for what that's worth. I also like that it's played a bit loose so as to promote the flow of the story.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

This. What happens to people who try to find out Batmans identity? Nothing good. Probably. I've never actually read Batman. The point is that Kozilek is the last person we should cross and we should do our job. We've basically got this in the bag, let's not get greedy now.

People who find out Batman's identity tend to die, seemingly through no fault of his own.

Alfred is just that good.

Edit
Guess I should vote. Siadwell's about to get ganked, and good-loving riddance. Let's do what Inquisitor Batman told us to do.

Hey Lowell, could we get a slice of life about Cheng Shi's Warrant of Trade? I'm curious as to how far back our dynasty goes. Ones issued during the Crusade, for example, were signed by the Emperor Himself, or whoever was there to act as Warmaster.

Like, say, Horus, for example.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 6, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Do the job, keep an eye on Siadwell's quarters

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RickVoid posted:

People who find out Batman's identity tend to die, seemingly through no fault of his own.

Alfred is just that good.

Edit
Guess I should vote. Siadwell's about to get ganked, and good-loving riddance. Let's do what Inquisitor Batman told us to do.

Hey Lowell, could we get a slice of life about Cheng Shi's Warrant of Trade? I'm curious as to how far back our dynasty goes. Ones issued during the Crusade, for example, were signed by the Emperor Himself, or whoever was there to act as Warmaster.

Like, say, Horus, for example.

Arc 5 will be extremely involved with that bit of the Dynasty :D About half my remaining notes are for it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Don't piss off the boss.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Today’s music: Deathstars, Samael, Children of Bodom

Night and Fog

In the end, your last act as Interrogator was easiest.

You left Kozilek in your rooms, carefully not giving the impression of trying to investigate him further. No biometric scans, DNA collections, recalling video feeds. You had earned your bit of banter with him, but you in no way felt comfortable enough to try to investigate him. And given Edourd’s obsession, you probably wouldn’t find anything where he had not.

No, it was best to follow orders on this one.

The cameras greeted you like old friends, and perhaps they were. Simple things, and eager to please. It was a matter of moments to find the requisite data - Siadwell had spend hundreds of hours here, and much of it was walking these corridors. You even found a few walking the exact route that had been ordered. Copy, paste, change time stamp. It was like a training mission back on your Forge world.

Not that you hadn’t learned a few things since then. You deleted your entry into the feeds, and the memory of that deletion. You changed minor bits of body language and movement, like scratching his face, so it wasn’t an exact copy. You did a quick check over reflections and lighting, making sure nothing could be found out by some obsessive going ‘enhance’.

And just to be on the safe side, you deleted the last few days of internal footage inside Siadwell’s room. You even backdated a maintenance report to a week ago, shortly after he arrived. Anything else, anything else… ah. A few words with your friends the Guideipedes. They now remembered him sending memos alluding to future plans. Nothing serious, just conversational things, but ones that might seem ominous in a future context.

After that, it was just the waiting.

- - - - -

Bedlam. Boots in the hallways. The ionization of weapons charges. You had prepared the pyre, and Kozilek had ignited it. It had only been a few hours, enough for the servitors to find the anomaly. And now Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, the personal retinue of Inquisitor-Lord Maruseva, were summoning everyone. There had been a few mishaps, a few people too paranoid and jumpy for their own good. But now you were all here, in the place of Trials.

Inquisitor Lord Maruseva had the helm, staring down at all of you with an icy rage. Biometric indicators showed he was on the brink of open violence, and the feeling had vibrated to his troops with a vibrant electricity. Next to him, below him, and very visibly unarmed. Siadwell, and not wearing a Rosette. That alone was enough to bring the temperature to clammy and frightened sweats. What had happened? What on earth could have happened?

Maruseva tossed the fragments of a grenade on the empty marble floor, which clattered and slid. Automatically, your mind categorized them - vortex grenade, ancient. In the briefest moments of panic, you thought it was yours. But no - Megabyte had given it up earlier this evening, when you had completed the device for Athena. A one way, one time use teleporter. In some glorious day, you hoped to have the time to build more.

“Inquisitor-Lord Gant is dead.” The crowd went still - it was rare enough for an Inquistor to die, let alone a Lord … let alone in a place of his (nominal) friends. And it looked like Siadwell was the ghost at the feast, primary suspect number one. The factions, political animals all, immediately started doing the math. The Troika had been selected, enough so that your innocence was assured. A sudden change up, Maruseva taking the helm… yes, there was motive there

Siadwell watched it all, stone-faced.

The briefest moment, perhaps, where he met your eyes. You both knew what had happened, what was going to happen. Now, to just perform your roles.

Your evidence, of course, was superb. He had been seen approaching the crime scene. He had motive. It was unclear where had gotten a vortex grenade, but he was the only one to enter Gant’s quarters. He had multiple communiques laying out ‘an audacious plan’. It was an open and shut case.

Maruseva was nothing but fair, though. He stared down at you, through you. Everyone knew you were the most capable with Machine-Spirits here. And you had motive for faking this, as well - perhaps you had not felt confident in the events of the trial? Ridding the world of your accuser would end the trial just as much as winning it would.

His laser gaze swept the crowd. “Cogitators. Is the evidence correct, blessed and holy?”

You resisted looking over to them, but you knew what you would see. The Dwarf, face restrained and anxious. Herrion and Patience, standing protectively close to each other. They met your gaze, looked to the Inquisitor Lord. You remembered what they had said. ‘We can support you until a certain event, and then we must not.’ You felt cold, wondering if this was the time. Had Kozilek set you up?

The silence hung in the air.

“Inquisitor Lord Maruseva… the evidence is correct, blessed and holy. All things support Siadwell as committing this crime.”

Siadwell didn’t say anything, nor did his face change. He had prepared himself for his death long ago, and it wasn’t much of a surprise to come from within, as opposed to without.

He knelt with dignity.

Maruseva drew his personnel pistol, gilded and ornate.

There was one shot.

Siadwell’s body fell.

-

“Inquisitor Ohone.”
You blinked, tried to take your eyes off your enemy. “Yes, Inquisitor-Lord Maruseva?”
“It’s time. You must choose your Faction.”

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

Edit: If kozilek can hack through a mech-deacon's security, and built most of the security here, and he's asking us to do something basic like -hack cameras in a hallway, which we just learned are the least secure nodes- then my suspicion is hella aroused and yours should be too.

He may not necessarily have built it himself, instead having a tech priest do it and add backdoors that only he has access to. Otherwise he may have a particularly good set of machine spirits dedicated to cracking security via brute force (recall when we ran into him with his killsquad). Building mech-deacon level security systems tends to require a mech-deacon and mechanicus' higher mysteries tend to be well kept secrets that even the Inquisition aren't privy to. So even if he can break the security to our room, he may not have the necessary knowledge / skill to do a camera trick with Siadwell's simulated image.

Tran posted:

Kozilek is a clear and obvious good for humanity. Pissing him off over some half-assed plot to gain leverage is doing the Enemy's job for them. Ohone may be greedy and ambitious, but I don't think even she would piss off her own drat inquisitor when he's very likely sponsoring her for the tests.

Every Inquisitor tends to be a little nuts and whats good for humanity may not be good for us. We aren't necessarily trying to gain leverage so much as we are trying to stay ahead of the curve. Kozilek could easily know or suspect something about our eldar connection (he hates them), our Athena connection, our xeno loving magos connection, or any number of imagined transgressions that would lead him to want us dead. What he's doing now with this camera altering business could be a trap meant to get rid of us along with Siadwell, letting him remain a very effective ghost, so taking some basic precautions couldn't hurt (like keeping an eye on him).

Edit: Well that went well.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 6, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
The last order, eh? That can be taken a number of ways and you guys seem to be taking it as the "promotion" way. Could also be the "retirement with extreme prejudice" way. So, uh, do what he says bht prepare a back door escape plan. Deadman switch data dump implicating him in half a dozen heresoes or something.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

sullat posted:

The last order, eh? That can be taken a number of ways and you guys seem to be taking it as the "promotion" way. Could also be the "retirement with extreme prejudice" way. So, uh, do what he says bht prepare a back door escape plan. Deadman switch data dump implicating him in half a dozen heresoes or something.

Take a look at what we were addressed as in the last update.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Thorian, secretly Recongregationist, Actually worshiping Athena.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Agreeing with grognan. At least on the first two parts.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 6, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I am thinking we can do like a three-faces thing. One faction is somewhat reasonable, something Kozilek would generally approve of. Some flavor of Puritan that somewhat fits with our past actions. In secret we assure Lynwood we are really with the Recongs. In reality, we are in service to Our Blessed Goddess.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Grognan posted:

Yeah, this.

edit: how hosed is Devries now that the Inquisitor that hosed with his rival has been executed, and his biggest rival has become an Inquisitor?

edit2: For those wondering, a quick Googling says Thorians are Puritans that went to somehow bring the Emperor back. This fits Ohone's actions and backgrounds pretty well, in my opinion. Kinda insane and ambitious as gently caress, no one can really say wanting the Emperor back in the flesh is a bad desire and its a Puritan faction, which I'm sure Kozilek will appreciate.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 6, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trivia time!

That post brings us to 400 pages/190,000 words.

This is what was happening in the thread:

page 25: you had just met the gang leaders in the Deeps
page 50: quint and tanya had just been introduced
page 75: meeting kozilek for the first time
page 100: knitting circle with sincera
page 125: the olympus
page 150: amacita’s wedding planning
page 175: talking to dwarf about factions
page 200: talking with eldar

Finally, last XP was done on p150 after ‘conversations’ :D

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

oh right

hopefully we can save amacita too now

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Grognan posted:

This will do.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Grognan posted:

Yep.

SerSpook posted:

Yeah, this.

edit: how hosed is Devries now that the Inquisitor that hosed with his rival has been executed, and his biggest rival has become an Inquisitor?

edit2: For those wondering, a quick Googling says Thorians are Puritans that went to somehow bring the Emperor back. This fits Ohone's actions and backgrounds pretty well, in my opinion. Kinda insane and ambitious as gently caress, no one can really say wanting the Emperor back in the flesh is a bad desire and its a Puritan faction, which I'm sure Kozilek will appreciate.
In... the flesh? Nay, we desire that the Omnissiah rise from his throne, not that he assume his incomplete human form.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 6, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Grognan posted:

This.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

Works for me. It hasn't come up much yet, but where do you want to focus on?

Ordo Xenos (alien heresy)
Ordo Malleus (demon heresy)
or
Ordo Hereticus (witches and mutans)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Yep.
In... the flesh? Nay, we desire that the Omnissiah rise from his throne, not that he assume his incomplete human form.

Thorian is just a cover for our other cover, when in reality we are worshiping Athena.

edit: Ordo Malleus seems to fit poo poo we've done before, and what better way to protect our Goddess from Chaos?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
redacted

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 6, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

SerSpook posted:

Thorian is just a cover for our other cover, when in reality we are worshiping Athena.
I think we worship both. We just happen to have a more personal relationship with Athena.

Ordo Xenos is the best fit for a Rogue Trader.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LowellDND posted:

Works for me. It hasn't come up much yet, but where do you want to focus on?

Ordo Xenos (alien heresy)
Ordo Malleus (demon heresy)
or
Ordo Hereticus (witches and mutans)

Ordo Machinum

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ordo Malleus

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Grognan posted:

Good plan

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Grognan posted:

Ordo Machinum

Changing to this.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kozilek is ... Xenos, I guess. Probably.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

Ordo Machinum

Perfect

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Inquisition

Scroll down to Ordo Machinum for a brief spiel

quote:

Ordo Machinum - Known as "The Judicators of the Forge", the Ordo Machinum scrutinise the Adeptus Mechanicus.
Specifically, they are concerned with the reintegration of recovered STC variants into the Imperium's armies and the rare adoptions of alien technologies into established Mechanicum protocols.
Inquisitors of the Ordo Machinum often accompany Adeptus Mechanicus archaeological teams to distant worlds, the better to see for themselves exactly what has been recovered.
They often work in concert with the Ordo Xenos -– especially when the world in question has been under alien control or there is any suggestion of non-human origin for the technology the Adeptus Mechanicus seek to recover.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Grognan posted:

Ordo Machinum

yo changing to this from malleus

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

For those who asked, factions are your personality, how you approach things, Ordos are your missions and what you want to fight. Make sense?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'd be fine with either Machinum or Xenos. Machinum is an excuse to look for borderline-heretical technology and Xenos is an excuse to use Xenotech. Xenos also synchronizes with our role as a Rogue Trader, we'll run into a lot of aliens. Both generally fit our mission.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Maruseva tossed the fragments of a grenade on the empty marble floor, which clattered and slid. Automatically, your mind categorized them - vortex grenade, ancient. In the briefest moments of panic, you thought it was yours. But no - Megabyte had given it up earlier this evening, when you had completed the device for Athena. A one way, one time use teleporter. In some glorious day, you hoped to have the time to build more.

I can't say that I'm unhappy that we are following in the steps of the illustrious Orkimedes, who built the great Translorkator.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

At least, we have achieved our goal.

Surely, at the next Conclave, the Inquisition will give the Beast a fantastic contract for information security. Everyone knows we manipulated this, its just know one knows how! Imagine the cash we will earn as a Rogue Trader!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ordo Malleus would be a perfect excuse to use whatever tools we deem necessary against the Archenemy of Mankind.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ordo Malleus

We already have all the benefits we'd get for joining Ordo Machinum, and none of the shackles. But facing demons is probably something we'll have to deal with anyway, and I'd rather have the best tools available to do it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Plan Grognan, Ordos Malleus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

Ordo Malleus

We already have all the benefits we'd get for joining Ordo Machinum, and none of the shackles. But facing demons is probably something we'll have to deal with anyway, and I'd rather have the best tools available to do it.
Theoretically speaking... what shackles? As a representative of both the Mechanicus and the Inquisition, we could, in theory, formally authorize our own STC acquisition attempts. And, once acquiring said STCs, as an Ordo Machinum member we could approve them and integrate them.

We could declare poo poo we find as non-tech-heretical.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 6, 2015