Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Bring your family to die again. Devries is family, this is the best way to have him suffer the most horrifying thing in Chaos land. No amount of torture that we inflict can measure up to chaos torture. Bring Devries, vote Devries, and offer Devries to chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Nyaa posted:

Bring your family to die again. Devries is family, this is the best way to have him suffer the most horrifying thing in Chaos land. No amount of torture that we inflict can measure up to chaos torture. Bring Devries, vote Devries, and offer Devries to chaos.

Devries is family by marriage, hardly fitting for a ritual of any sort. And considering how much he's set back the Imperium, it's like as not that chaos will reward him, granting him all sorts of powers he wouldn't have if we just left him on the ship, like rational people.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Honestly, not too big a fan of Walkway adventures, but if we're gonna do this, we should do it properly. They didn't say 'for cunning, take someone you can trust' they said 'take someone cunning who taught you much'. A lot of our more schemey, paranoid ways we learned by honing ourselves against Devries. Would we have been sharp enough to not only survive, but thrive in Inquisition cities if we hadn't fought against him so much? The Dwarf? What is he to us? He's a pretty cool dude I guess? He told us a few things about the Inqusiition maybe? I barely remember what he taught us. And did we see any masterstrokes from him? No. The dwarf is probably not gonna backstab us, unless we do outrageously heretic poo poo. (possible) but he doesn't qualify as much.

Honestly, I'd rather take the Magos than the Dwarf. He taught us much, is also cunning and had a lot more impact.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What Shogeton said.

I also feel like this is a test of whether we learned our lesson from the nuke. Both rushing ahead and taking all our valuable(in that we like them) companions along in a single basket.

We should start rating them by expendability, since we're an inquisitor now. Just stop for a second and assume everyone dies in the webway.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I highly doubt whoever we bring will survive the whole journey, if not sacrificed. Bring the most expandable Dervy to his doom.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
gently caress it.

Devries-in-a-box

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

True. Keeping the Dwarf back also means that if poo poo goes wrong and we lose everyone, we lose Galahad (we barely knew ye) Miriam (shame that) and De Vries (yay?)

Look, I don't think I can stress how much more cunning Devries has than any other here in that despite him being a brian in a box and no friends, we're all still terrified of him. I'm worried about him. He just might have a plan to gently caress us over there, or make up a plan really quick. That's EXACTLY why he's the one we want there.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Stones

“The Rosette looks good on you.”
You glanced at Miriam as you placed a piece. “Thank you.”
A few more moves in companionable silence, then: “I made a deal with the Eldar once.”
You paused in your placement. It had taken hours to get her to open up even this much, and you didn’t want to spook her. You didn’t reply, just waited for her to continue.
“We… we were having a cultist problem in the sector I was working in. A bad one. All the predictions were saying we would get a major incursion if we didn’t do something.”
“So what did you do?”
Her voice was resigned. “What I had to. Found the Eldar. Made some promises. Got some returns.”
“What did you ask for?”
“Access to the Black Library.”
You whistled. The secret repository of all Eldar knowledge, it was … there weren’t words for how priceless it was.
“And you got it?”
“Yeah. Restricted access, short term, just in relation to the incursion.”
Your curiousity got the better of you. “What did they ask for?”
“Several planets. Currently occupied by Humanity.”
“So…”
“So I called down Exterminatus. It was the only way.”
“And there was no heresy there?”
“No. I burned five innocent worlds, but I got the information. I saved a hundred more in the process.”
“And the Conclave…”
“Said I had abused the faith of the God-Emperor. Took my rosette. Assigned me here. I’ll never be an Interrogator again, never an Inquisitor.”
“But you saved lives.”
She made quotation marks with her fingers. “I ‘made a Radical deal with the xeno, destroying countless billions of human lives, and was lucky to be let live.’ “
She placed a final piece. “That’s what happens when you make deals with Eldar.”
Miriam got up, walked away. You looked at the board - she had you surrounded.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 11, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Call out to her: I would have done the same. You did the right thing.It sounds like it was worth it.

e: phrasing

Ralith fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 11, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Guide
Miriam x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x
Mom x

Conscience
Galahad x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x
Mom x
Drusian x

Cunning
Dwarf x x x x x, x x x x
Devries x x x x x, x x

Guide and Conscience are quite clear, so Ill close those. Looks like cunning is still up in the air though.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Dwarf. gently caress Devries. rear end in a top hat.

Subtle Boomerang
Feb 19, 2010

meow
Devries

Subtle Boomerang fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 11, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
How can we not have an adventuring party without an elf and a dwarf?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

I would have to disagree that the Dwarf taught us anything. He gave us some exposition about what the Inquisition was and told us that security was weak. That's it.

Devries has kept us on our toes. When we did the BONE mission for him, we thought we were hot stuff, but he came out ahead. He forced us to grow and develop better strategies. We made assumptions that he would be hiding in a vent, down below. He was busy seducing Amacita. We thought we had the ship under control and he showed us how much we had neglected Alpha Deck. Devries has constantly been teaching us through experience. Even now, we are afraid of being too bold because of what he taught us with that nuke.

This webway adventure is an all-or-nothing deal. Its risky and insane no matter what. But if we start sabotaging the requirements for it before we even begin because we're afraid, then it'll be our cowardice that does what Devries' nuke failed to do.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I wish for Eldar radiation. Devries

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

I retract my vote for the Dwarf. I just can't vote for DeVries in good conscience, though.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

JT Jag posted:

I retract my vote for the Dwarf. I just can't vote for DeVries in good conscience, though.

:argh: Tied up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:suspense:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

sniper4625 posted:

How can we not have an adventuring party without an elf and a dwarf?

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
I hate him, but DeVries is certainly cunning.

Edit: Willing to bring both.

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Changing my vote from Dwarf to bring both of them!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Lord Sire Di Muzio :colbert:

Well poo poo, guess I'll have to vote for the Dwarf so we don't end up a crazed and emotionally distant robot, relying on the counsel of our defeated foes to protect our fragile psyche.

Tran fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 11, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

asking Devries whether he worked with the Lord-Sire on the clone (of the Lord-Sire), for purposes of faking his death

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bringing both is acceptable if you choose to. I'm not finicky on that point.

SerSpook posted:

asking Devries whether he worked with the Lord-Sire on the clone (of the Lord-Sire), for purposes of faking his death

Yes, he did. It was the bargain - he marries Amacita, Lord-Sire gets access to archaeotech cloning technology.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Yes, he did. It was the bargain - he marries Amacita, Lord-Sire gets access to archaeotech cloning technology.
Don't suppose he has any idea where the Lord Sire is now?

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Devries

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

Don't suppose he has any idea where the Lord Sire is now?

He does not. He believes Lord-Sire is dead by now though, otherwise why hasn't he reclaimed the Ship?

Cunning
Dwarf x x x x x, x x x x x,
Devries x x x x x, x x x x x,
Both x

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 11, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

He does not. He believes Lord-Sire is dead by now though, otherwise why hasn't he reclaimed the Ship?
I can only imagine Ohone comes to the same conclusion. Retirement is a foreign concept to people of power.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Half the thread seems really keen on keeping Devries as a potential threat, why else would they be willing to give him a chance to escape?

The webways are a place where just about anything can happen. It's the last place we should be taking the mortal enemy we defeated at great personal cost.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 11, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

By being so threatening he has definaty taught us much.

For the record I would vote the Magos, but that probably won't win and I'm not sure if they'd accept anyway.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

sniper4625 posted:

The webways are a place where just about anything can happen.
So when the resident psychics tell you "to succeed you must bring the cunning guy who has taught you much" we really shouldn't wimp out.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Ralith posted:

So when the resident psychics tell you "to succeed you must bring the cunning guy who has taught you much" we really shouldn't wimp out.

When there are multiple people who fit the bill, it's OK to take the one who isn't your mortal enemy, whose defeat was brought about at great personal cost, and who is desperately searching for any means by which to escape his imprisonment. We'd just be giving him an opportunity to betray us on a silver platter.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 11, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

When there are multiple people who fit the bill, it's OK to take the one who isn't your mortal enemy, whose defeat was brought about at great personal cost, and who is desperately searching for any means by which to escape his imprisonment. We'd just be giving him an opportunity.

There's a difference between just being technically fitting the bill if you squint and look at him funny and absolutely fitting the bill to a T. Eldar are big on things having meaning and the dwarf means nothing to us.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Xun posted:

Guide - Miriam
Conscience - Galahad
Cunning - Devires in a box

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

dwarf

I'm already starting to have second thoughts about this whole webway thing. I really want to take ghost-Skade's advice. However, I will settle for not taking our mortal enemy to a place where anything can happen and we may need to rely on him

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
You know what.

DeVries

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Show the Dwarf the future message and ask him to come along with. See how he feels about it.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Yeah, this keeps swinging back and forth, clearly we need to bring both.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

People are actually switching their votes back and forth to maintain the tie. Therefore, if there are no dissenters, Im going to bring both.

Next question:

Devries brain in a box
Mounted on a staff.
Stuffed into a servoskull.
Something else.

This presumes the Dwarf will be holding it and making sure Devries doesn't pull anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Before we leave, we should probably hide that poo poo away so other people can't abuse it. And/or turn it over to the Magos Biologis for safekeeping. Just look at how much trouble its caused in non-mechanicus hands!

Still think the magos is worth considering taking along, we should at least talk to him.