Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I don't want to change what has happened, but I know Ohone needs to (and shouldn't).

Where there are shadows we shall be a shining light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

FORWARD

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Descent

You hefted your weapons uncertainly. “How do you want to handle this?”
“Well.” Her eyes never left them. “If they are what I think they are, don’t let them touch your skin.” She glanced at you. “Which makes you point, I suppose.”
Devries let out an exaggerated sigh of relief that you ignored.
“Okay, anything else?”
“They do something similar to teleporting. They change time in one second bursts, so they aren’t where you thought they were.”
“Lovely. Are they fast, or should the flamers work?”
“Should get a lot of them, yeah.”

You glanced back at the others. “Okay, Galahad. You’ve got air, use your sling guns. Try to avoid hitting us. Just try to push them into my range and we should be okay. The rest of you, just use the consecrated ammo from behind me. Sounds like it should work Miriam?”
She made a face. “Should being the operative word. Let’s do this.”

The creatures were ugly things, hopping black shadows that never seemed to be where you thought they were. Around you, the thousand staircases of marble and old stone branched off in every direction, using their own subjective gravity or none at all. You occasionally thought you could see people on them in the distance, but they were too far to tell. Besides, you had lives to end.

Galahad leapt into the air, his jet bike screaming with a maneuverability you could only admire. Shurikens let loose in a horrific volley, turning groups of them into giblets, erupting into strange ichors that hurt the eyes. As intended, they began fleeing the terrible weapons, heading for you. You warmed up your flamer, even as the guns began to fire behind you in staccato tongues.

The weak and miserable things turned to ash under your righteous fury, and you laughed at their shrieking pain. They tried to get around you, flank to the more vulnerable. But they were so weak, so stupid. You turned on your siege drills and rushed to meet them, ignoring the words of your companions. Above you, the sling guns went silent, even as you immersed yourself in glorious battle. With each gesture, the enemy’s bodies exploded, and they couldn’t stand before you.

You realized you were turning corpses into gruel with the drills, turned them off. Looked around. Miriam was looking angrily at you, even as the Dwarf was feeling his face. He was missing his jaw, like it had never been there. It never had been, right? You kind of remembered that. He reached for his belt, began screwing his jaw back on. That was odd, why had he taken it off?

You glanced at Miriam. “What’s the problem?”
She pointed. “Devries got pushed off the stairs. He’s down there somewhere, past our time. Do you want to go further into the past and try to find him?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Yes. We can't let him time travel with the knowledge he has, we retrieve him.

Also, standing orders for next time: be more careful and stick to the plan.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

noo we need to get david bowie back

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Xun posted:

noo we need to get david bowie back

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Delve deep to fetch that slippery bastard

Okay so if old time gets packed down and calcified along with getting eaten by Langoleers we need to get moving quickly before the "past" gets too "past" and is consumed. Now when we alter the past we will make the current timeline "past" so in addition Call to the Langoleers and offer a trade. Safe passage and we lead them to a point where an abundance of food is soon to appear. . Wolves are tamed with a firm hand and a warm meal.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Delve deep to fetch that slippery bastard

Okay so if old time gets packed down and calcified along with getting eaten by Langoleers we need to get moving quickly before the "past" gets too "past" and is consumed. Now when we alter the past we will make the current timeline "past" so in addition Call to the Langoleers and offer a trade. Safe passage and we lead them to a point where an abundance of food is soon to appear. . Wolves are tamed with a firm hand and a warm meal.

Interesting. What food you offering/how you going about arranging it?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Interesting. What food you offering/how you going about arranging it?

I'm going to assume time is like one big extruded piece of spaghetti. At the nozzle is the present, all the previously spit out noodle is the past, it is set in shape and is drying. The further back you get the dryer it gets. The table around the noodle is the immaterium where bits of failed noodles or even other ingredients and tools float. We are leaving the nozzle to travel back to a place where the noodle got kinked.

I think the physical shock of the bomb, Ohones emotional shock along with it being a critical moment in time has made it a weak point. By going back we have stopped the flow of noodle and are dragging along the cut point. When we get back to the kink we will have formed a loop where our end joins to the kink. If we don't simply go back with Fabian we create a new time line. The loop dangles off to the side while the kink is rejoined to the source and things resume.

What I'm proposing is we know where/when that kink is and the Langoleers will go hog wild on the loop of pointless time. That's how the ship is haunted as well, you see. We have already done this before from the perspective outside of time, and the Langoleers are eating up the superfluous time. We may have not done it too but he space hulk is a thing out of time so every hulk may have time eaters on it. Speculation and all that.

Now, for the offering. Expressing all this in mathematical formula is easy enough and of these are beings of time, simply converting the equations into particle emissions should be enough at least that's what I'm hoping they can respond to. I'm sure they communicate to each other somehow or else they may be simple animals eating things that reek of temporal energy on instinct. Either way it's worth shot and we can flame them to death if need be.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:psyduck:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Whatever we do, use our implants to start driving Devries back up to meet us. Remote control is a wonderful thing!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I do like spaghetti...

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Should have put his box on a hover jet instead of a ground vehicle.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Shadeoses posted:

People didnt want him to be mobile :colbert:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shadeoses posted:

Tell past-future Ohone that is making decisions regarding this to put him on jets. Problem solved. :colbert:

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

If he leave him be, the kill switch should activate and destroy him in 6 hours, right? It's also pretty much impossible for anyone else to deactivate it, so we should be safe.

...Or is the Warp weird enough that all bets are off even with all our paranoid safeguards we installed into devries?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Rahul posted:

...Or is the Warp weird enough that all bets are off even with all our paranoid safeguards we installed into devries?

There are literal gods out here.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rahul posted:

If he leave him be, the kill switch should activate and destroy him in 6 hours, right? It's also pretty much impossible for anyone else to deactivate it, so we should be safe.

Guess we'll find out in 6 (subjective) hours :D

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Rahul posted:

Depending on how far into the past he fell, his next command input check in could be a few centuries from "now". Time travel is crazy, yo.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

todays music: Sonata Arctica

Spaghettification

You accessed your comm. “Galahad, do you see him?”
He swooped down, replied after a minute. “I see a bunch of those shadow things. They might be hunting him.”
Blast. “Miriam, these are time predators, yeah?”
“As far as I’ve read, yes.”
“So they eat time travellers, or what comes with them. Temporal energy and such.”
She considered. “That makes sense. Like seasoning - they don’t care about the meat.”
“So if we can identify when we come in and out of the webways, they’ll know when to attack. Have an infinite food source.”
The Dwarf coughed. “Just so I’m aware, you are proposing having them attack me forever, everytime I come here?”
“Well, it’s already happened, so it is has to happen.”
“Lovely. Next time someone else can lose their jaw.”

After some consideration, you shifted your machine parts, broadcasted into the ether. Mathematical equations, temporal coordinates, past and future. They would know where you would come out, had always known. The column of stairs seemed to darken, fill with thousands of the shadow creatures. Millions. An infinite number of scavengers, to gnaw on an infinite loop of time. They seemed to blackout your vision, and then were gone, to attack your past.

Where they had formed stood a single solitary individual, garbed in black leathers, feathers, and furs. She was a bit taller than you, a voidborn, and something seemed off about her. You glanced over at Miriam. “She real, or one of the maybe worlds?”
Miriam grimaced. “I think she’s Realer than we are.”
Galahad covered his eyes with his forearm. “It’s like staring into the sun.”
You sniffed. “You panic too easily. Hey there! Who are you?”
“So you’re the one that everyone’s talking about.”
“Yeah, I’m pretty awesome like that. Who are you?”
She arched an eyebrow. “I’m the only member of the Family that matters.”

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Imagine four noodles on the edge of a fork..

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Bow politely, to the extent that our status and armour allow.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Try to be civil to Great Grandma. She did begin our dynasty after all.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waci posted:

Bow politely, to the extent that our status and armour allow.

This!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's either Ching Shih or Anastasia de Vocht. Figuring out which of the two she is could be pretty critical.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tomn posted:

It's either Ching Shih or Anastasia de Vocht. Figuring out which of the two she is could be pretty critical.

True, but to be fair we should probably be courteous either way. Anastasia could give us information, too.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That thing you forgot

You bowed carefully and deep, mentally encouraging your companions to do the same. They did so, and the figure smiled wider. “Ah, you are a polite one. It’s good to see the Family hasn’t gone completely by the wayside.”
Was she your Founder or your Traitor? Best to hedge. “It’s important to pay respects to important people in the Dynasty.”
“Yes, it is, isn’t it. Come to the Ways to find your lost soul?”
You blinked, tried to have say something. Tried again. “I have a soul.”
She covered her mouth with her fingertips in a mocking display of coquettishness. “Oh, of course. That’s right. Forget I said anything.”
“I have a soul.”
“Quite right, quite right. How is the Family?”
“Just finished a minor battle of succession.”
She smiled again. “Ah yes, always good to watch plans come to fruition.” Was she talking about hers, or yours? “And what will you do now?”
“We’re going to Terra.”
“Ah, the home of the Corpse-God. How long it has been since I’ve visited.”
That wasn’t right, was it? You blinked, confused. Galahad had curled up in on himself, and the others looked like they were falling asleep.
“Well, we’re going to the Saturine region.”
“Ah, I see, I see. Not Mars?”
“Not at first.”
“Well, Ohone, you’ve been very helpful. Because you’ve been polite, I’ll answer one question truthfully.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd ask "Why did Jurassic World feel like so much wasted potential?" That's just me being bitter about the film though.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So what's the best pasta sauce?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Psyocculum, now.

Ask who the Darkness are, and then bail. With our retinue, of course.

Waci fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 12, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Waci posted:

Psyocculum, now.

yeah do this

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Serious question:

"Could the conflict with DeVries been resolved without all the bloodshed and lives lost"

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Waci posted:

Psyocculum, now.

fine fine, ask this i guess

really wanted to know the secrets to time-pasta sauce

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

One question, huh?

Ask where and what the Staff is now.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waci posted:

Psyocculum, now.

ok

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ask who the darkness are

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

By the by, "corpse-god"? Sounds more like Anastasia, especially when combined with the mocking tone.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

As a reminder, referring to the God Emperor as the corpse emperor is a clear sign that they serve chaos. This is likely a daemon here to gently caress with us for whatever reason.

Waci posted:

Psyocculum, now.

Hell with it, this is probably a terrible idea but it should be interesting.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Or a daemon. Remember, the only indication we have that she's actually family is her word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waci posted:

Psyocculum, now.