Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paragon1 posted:

The Imperium of Man?
(ba-dum-pssh*)
**the pssh was a bolter shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tran posted:

I'm kind of left wondering what exactly you want the appointee to do. The ship doesn't really need a diplomat or salesman in charge while we're away. The job will mostly entail making minor cost related decisions and deciding which messages are worth our time. If for some unexpected reason a deal absolutely must be made face to face on the ship and cannot wait for our return, Miss Winterswijk is perfectly familiar with negotiating a contract.

We're not going into seclusion, just planetside. We don't have to micromanage everything.

Crisis management and contingency if we walk into another nuke/get lost in the warp again mostly. You ever leave home to do something and it ended up taking way, way longer than you thought it would?

In other words, they would be dealing with the problems that we do not foresee, not the ones we do.

A crises on The Beast of Traal, of all ships, that requires the exercise of high executive powers in our absence is not at all difficult to imagine. My question being, who gets to utilize those powers? Luckily Lowell has provided a very entertaining answer to that question. :)

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 19, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would have thought someone would submit Christopher Lee as the first actor NPC. He was in over two-hundred movies, fought in WWII in the special forces, and put out a heavy metal album.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

Does this make sense? Good idea bad idea? I still plan to maintain the pace of writing, I'm simply thinking we're reaching a scale of the game where we need additional point of views.

Good idea, makes sense.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Slice of Life LXVII

Recorded image. Interior hallway. Lighting is inadequate, and there is blood on the walls and floor. A child is standing in the center, back to the camera. She appears to be looking up and left at something.

Voices. Match data on Inquisition Team Agatha’s World//Limosa-1. Match personnel files: Nubby, ‘Sarge’.

“Primarch, she gave me a scare!”
“What’s that, Sarge?”
“Your little stowaway.”

New voice: Match personnel files, Thok.

“I still got her, Sarge.”

Child turns to face the camera. Visual feed ends.
=][=Sealed by Order of the Inquisition=][=. Sound continues.

“God-Emperor, what is that?”
“Run! Run!”
“Fuckfuckfuckfuck loving cultists.”
“How is she moving so fast?”

Gunfire - match on Scourge Boltguns.

New voice: Unknown.

Don’t you like her? It’s something I just threw on when I heard you were coming.

“Fuckfuckfuckfuck. Thok! Use the flamer!”
“There’s more of them!”

Sounds of grenades, steady gunfire.

“gently caress, they’re everywhere!”
“Reloading!”
“Covering!”
“Fuckfuck. gently caress!”
“Can we get back to the shuttle?”

Sounds of metal creaking, falling.

“Tibus! Do something about that door!”
Binary noises, unintelligible.

Multiple voices: Unknown. Appear to display signs of osteonecrosis. Statements unclear. Translation efforts detail them as Little Ohone. My favorite plaything. We have been working, she and I. We are almost ready. And then we have such things to show you…

Gunfire. Screaming, unintelligible.

File ends.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Having a window into events outside our character is nice. I see no problem with us becoming just one aspect of the larger story.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Someone's been playing fear...

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hi mom!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rip Tibus

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Xun posted:

Rip Tibus

"It's game over, man. It's GAME OVER!"

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

As for the inevitable question of whether we trust the guys to handle it or torpedo the ship, I'd say we let them handle it since there's no guarantee mother didn't simply imprint the message on the cultists as opposed to personally delivering it. It'd suck to waste a group as awesome as AGP.

The situation is grim, but now Coach finally has a moment to shine or give the AGP a lot of grief trying to save his dumb rear end from getting himself killed. I'm fine with either.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Multiple voices: Unknown. Appear to display signs of osteonecrosis. Statements unclear. Translation efforts detail them as Little Ohone. My favorite plaything. We have been working, she and I. We are almost ready. And then we have such things to show you…

Okay so with the multiple voices speaking as though there isn't bloodflow to their joints I was ready to start screeching about Mother, but now I think it's Abraxus and Mother working together. Would Mother say Little Ohone? And "she and I?" Maybe, but my guess is that the rumors we heard are true, and Mother's been scooped up by our favorite Slaanesh demon. If Mother is a servant of Slaanesh and "her" that would also explain why the Eldar(?) helped us send that message back in time - they're motivated to stick it to the Prince of Pleasure.

I'm not trying to rally a vote right this minute but people need to think about when the planet would be a lost cause. If Mother has seeded the planet with a latent memetic virus, or is turning the population into some terrible corpse hive-mind, or Abraxus has cranked the party meter to 11, when do we pull =][= rank and bomb the poo poo out of it with every Navy ship we can commandeer?

The Inquisition cat will be out of the bag when we lead a crusade on Golgotha, anyway. This could be our only chance!

LowellDND posted:

“Finally, a bill of service for maintaining the orbit of one of our ships.”
“They are billing us for the Beast?”
“No, this one has been in orbit for several months.”
You blinked. “Does the Family even own other major ships?”
“Not to my knowledge.”
“Did they say what it was?”
She checked. “Just a generic code. Magnus-76524-Zho. The coordinates are here.”
“Should probably send a shuttle to check it out. Maybe someone expendable.” You paused. “Anything else?”
“That’s all for now, Lord-Sire.” She bowed her head, gathered her things.

Whatever it is and whatever they're doing, they have a several month head start. Did we ever confirm Amacita sent the distress call? Maybe Mother did it, and the whole planet or the party we're invited to is a trap. An Alpha Legion one.

e: okay my new plan is to put the blank in that hamster ball of death we considered during the Magos civil war, and then have him and the Iron Hands ready to drop pod on top of the big bad once there's a reveal. And then exterminatus if that doesn't work/we aren't on the planet. We either win or get rid of people we think are gross/suspect are traitors! Whee!

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 19, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Poor AGP. Too cool to live in Ohone's Imperium.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Princess of Pleasure is our arch nemesis. We just arrived at a pleasure planet. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

exterminatus

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Oh yeah, we should check to see if it is that one kid's ship. The one from Golgotha.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Delay exterminatus. Consult Ed if there's time

Can't let a little chaos memetic virus stop us from showing off at an important party. While we're there, we can round up the movers and shakers, then use them to either deal with / stall whatever the chaos plot is or at least evacuate them and eventually arrange it such that they are now part of our fleet heading to Terra to warn of DOOM. This would give us added credibility, give us added influence during the Golgotha mission, and maybe even score us some seriously valuable resources both in terms of gear for us / the ship and in terms of personnel. Hell, we might be able to stop the chaos plot if these idiots actually work with us.

In contrast, immediate exterminatus would undermine us, have a bunch of different factions pissed at us, may play into chaos's hands (furthering their goals in some way), and give us more headaches to deal with.

sullat posted:

Oh yeah, we should check to see if it is that one kid's ship. The one from Golgotha.

Yeah...we probably should have done that before looting it. Nice going, Limosa.

I'd vote to punish him in some humorous way, but it seems like he at least blocked out the meme virus parts of the video like a champ. He'll probably more than redeem himself if that keeps up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Imma go ahead and say that either it doesn't have sigils, or they've been removed, which is why the locals named it a Magnus anomaly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, first thing she probably did was drive it into a paint shop to switch the plates and file off the VIN.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

LowellDND posted:

Imma go ahead and say that either it doesn't have sigils, or they've been removed, which is why the locals named it a Magnus anomaly.
Can't we compare it to recorded images of the Golgotha ship? I get the impression that the Imperium isn't a place with lots of shiny new indistinguishable ships, sigils or no.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So that's totally Abraxus on the other ship, then. "She" is probably the Mother Brain, who escaped onto that ship when we let her go, ran into Abraxus, and they had a corruption off. Who knows who's in charge, the ancient demon or the unholy Psyker abomination, but one way or another it's bad news.

Storm the ship with Kriegers. kill everyone onboard (except a few high ranking prisoners) plunder the databanks for clues as to what She is up to.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
If/when Ohone is brought up to speed on what went down on that ship, and assuming it's an Abraxus-possessed Mother, we need to think about what weapons we have that could face down the kind of monster that was at the upper end of psyker power rankings before it became the pawn of Slaanesh. All I can come up with is:

• an omega-level psychic blank strapped into an indestructible mechanized hamster ball, surrounded by 10 Iron Hands, launched in a drop pod directly at it
  • blowing up as much of the planet as we can swing, pulling Inquisition rank to get every ship in orbit to blow up the resort
  • all of the above

I'm in favor of visiting the planet and checking some poo poo out, but can we maybe begin construction on safeguarding the blank if we ever have to deploy him in a combat scenario? And prep the Iron Hands on what we think might be in store, so we can execute the above in short order? Also wear a psider hairnet when on the planet if we aren't rocking one already.

e: does Fabiyan have holy anti-daemon powers, or is he "just" Captain America with wings and the sometimes-ability to raise the dead? I'd be loathe to ever send him somewhere we don't also go, but it'd be good to know.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 19, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:stare: Holy poo poo they ran into Cenobites?!

We are so hosed.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The All Guardsman Party better have found some way out of that or this is non-canon.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They're still alive on the spread sheet as of 11:59 am.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They'll probably at least last until Limosa orders the ship obliterated.

Maybe even until we have them executed to quarantine their warp taint/memetic virus exposure!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If we end up in a full chaos psyker fight I support the idea of loading the blank into a hyper shielded canister such as what contains the warrant of trade and firing it at a greater demon like a giant AP shell.

Or cut off his head, turn him into a servo skull type dealy and load that.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Don't we have a Culexus assassin lying around? That would probably be more effective than using Stinky.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

We don't get one until we get to Terra

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Oasx posted:

Don't we have a Culexus assassin lying around? That would probably be more effective than using Stinky.

The Culexus is on board yet, Ohone ordered one and they're waiting for us to pick it up when we get to Terra.

And what's this obsession with putting a blank in a giant armored hamster ball or something like that? It just seems so asinine... I can understand wanting to keep it safe while taking on Chaos, but wouldn't a better thing being actually finding one that can be militarily useful or at least bringing it up to some standards of self defense? Augment the poo poo out of it so that it retains its blank-ness without completely turning it into a servitor or have the Krieg run the guy through their paces or something like that. I'd just like to see a blank that helped out not just by being gross with it's blank-ness, but with actual combat situations like Jurgen or Alizebeth Bequin of Eisenhorn fame. Maybe get some version of the Distaff going, the group of blanks Eisenhorn employed as auxiliary forces when he was going after Chaos tainted stuff, managed by Bequin. Ohone's an Inquisitor and a Rogue Trader, surely she can find blanks amongst her journeys and get someone like a Krieg or one of the tribunes to train them up to some sort of standard that if not Krieg, Drusian, or military is at least somewhat disciplined and capable of following orders and defending themselves...

Love your writing on the All Guardsman Party, Lowell. Might have to finally read all their adventures on 1d4chan so I can see what you're actually referencing with their prior adventures when I have the time to do so. I've put it off when linked before, but your writing of them here has truly grabbed me.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 31, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The suggested hamster ball is more of an Ohone designed remote control combat vehicle with flamers and spikes and poo poo

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
also the blank got recruited by some Abrogates as an auxiliary and they don't judge him too much for being weird :3:

Question: Do blanks revile each other as much as they are reviled by standard humans?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

And what's this obsession with putting a blank in a giant armored hamster ball or something like that? It just seems so asinine... I can understand wanting to keep it safe while taking on Chaos, but wouldn't a better thing being actually finding one that can be militarily useful or at least bringing it up to some standards of self defense? Augment the poo poo out of it so that it retains its blank-ness without completely turning it into a servitor or have the Krieg run the guy through their paces or something like that. I'd just like to see a blank that helped out not just by being gross with it's blank-ness, but with actual combat situations like Jurgen or Alizebeth Bequin of Eisenhorn fame. Maybe get some version of the Distaff going, the group of blanks Eisenhorn employed as auxiliary forces when he was going after Chaos tainted stuff, managed by Bequin. Ohone's an Inquisitor and a Rogue Trader, surely she can find blanks amongst her journeys and get someone like a Krieg or one of the tribunes to train them up to some sort of standard that if not Krieg, Drusian, or military is at least somewhat disciplined and capable of following orders and defending themselves...

That sounds great, I'm thinking more that we're going to have to slap together some destruction derby roughshod protection in case Mother makes her move in the next few days. Our blank is also a pretty powerful omega-level guy based on how repulsive even non-psykers find him, so keeping this one around (and souping it up when time permits per your suggestions) is worthwhile. He is extremely valuable and rare even for a blank.

e: like his presence alone is more valuable than anything he could bring to the table combat-wise, so particularly with the short timetable we are looking at something that will keep him alive if we need to deploy him ASAP.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 19, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

paragon1 posted:

Question: Do blanks revile each other as much as they are reviled by standard humans?

No, they don't get the weird feeling normal people do (they have no warp sensitivity at all.) Blanks are really the only people who can get along with other blanks. Even if you're the most personable blank in the galaxy, non-blanks will just feel a little bit wrong about you. Some have it worse, like our hideously deformed one, but they are all far too valuable to kill.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
What happens when you put and Omega blank in a room with an Alpha psyker, I wonder.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

The Alpha falls to the ground clawing their eyes out probably.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

What happens when you put and Omega blank in a room with an Alpha psyker, I wonder.

The blank's lack of soul cancels out the psyker's ability hard as the latter wants to get away from the former as quickly as possible, going into seizures and foaming at the mouth and such because of the former's presence.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 31, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

The blank's lack of soul cancels out the psyker's ability hard as the latter wants to get away from the former as quickly as possible, going into seizures and foaming at the mouth and such because of the former's presence..

Yeah, if that's the case I don't care if he's slinging bullets or all cybered up, I just want him alive so we can shake him in the direction of Mother long enough to kill her to death.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We must conduct experiments to find the truth! :science:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life LXVIII

So no poo poo, there we were. That little girl was just the scout - the first wasp for the angry hive. Her face was bloody, as if she’d been eating raw flesh, and her body was the wet decay of the long dead. We could see little wrigglers in her death wounds, whatever insects that might have collected on a ship like this.

We were professionals, of course. Long training and many years of experience. So we ran away.

See, something like that, straight up unnatural? That’s warp at work. Might mean sorcerers, a Gellar field breach, daemons, anything. And that’s something you leave to the Inquisition. Well, not us. Inquisitors. Guardsmen have much better things to do than fight the bleeding edge of crazy. We ran like hell.

The details of what happened after that is a bit fuzzy. There was a lot of screaming and gunfire. She was a fast little creeper, and she had brought friends. They punched through glass, popped out of maintenance tunnels, breached corridor panels. Cutter was having a blast, of course. People running up and trying to grapple a chainsword lose their limbs pretty quick.

Course, they kept twitching, and the body kept trying to attack us. Warp creatures for you. We shifted to headshots and decapitations, and that worked well enough. Even so, we fell back at a rapid pace, through our layers of trip wires and mines. They weren’t very subtle, walking straight into the things, but a claymore that took off their legs wasn’t the reassuring it would be against heretics. The bodies kept crawling at us, maws agape, claws outstretched.

Honestly, I’m glad we brought two flamers, they saved our rear end several times. I’m not sure how many there were, but it sure felt like we fought all ten thousand as we pulled back. They didn’t suffer morale failure, and even professionals get tired after hours of combat while running a dozen kilometers. ‘Coach’, or as we now call him, Duckie, flipped his poo poo. He started screaming at us to have as much fun as we could at the rink, while he dual fired Scourge boltguns. Don’t usually see that level of crazy, they’ll probably make him an Interrogator soon.

Anyway, we made it back to one of our more secure bunkers, and pulled up the ladder behind us. None of us were severely wounded, but a scrap like that injures everyone, and we were exhausted. Doc was already over everyone, freaking out about necrosis and infection and crap like that. I can’t say I was going to worry about it when we had dozens of the warp creatures gathering in the gallery below, and more on their way. Twitch was already setting up more explosives, and they detonated every few minutes. Cleared the room down to the giblets, but more creatures were showing up all the time. We had to figure out how to get out, fast.

And that’s when we noticed Adelaide was missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LowellDND posted:

Slice of Life LXVIII

And that’s when we noticed Adelaide was missing.

Time for an anime limit break?

Ah, no. She's probably corrupted now.

THANKS LOWELL NOW WE HAVE TO KILL (named) CHILDREN.