Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Ask Lionus why Charon is on a chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Nyaa posted:

Are you suggesting that Stephen king is better than you? :colbert:

We have yet to see the kind of ending Lowell can write. :colbert:

I REALLY want to know what the Tau and the regular Eldar think about this.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You misread my praise.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I REALLY want to know what the Tau and the regular Eldar think about this.

Tau surrendered/merged with the Ultramarines, Eldar are ~*~mysterious~*~

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Tau and the Ultramarines are both smurfs, it's only fitting that they cooperate.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Both Athena and Hera are looking at Charon weird. Is Hades around? :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Xun posted:

Both Athena and Hera are looking at Charon weird. Is Hades around? :v:

Everything is fiiiiiiiiine.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
AIs all acting like they never seen a guy on a leash in a full body leather jumpsuit before.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They've probs never seen an Omega blank before. I assume we're finally getting the assassin we ordered.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Toying with the idea of a Stephen King challenge in December. 150k words in a month.

How crazy am I? :ohdear:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

LowellDND posted:

Toying with the idea of a Stephen King challenge in December. 150k words in a month.

Let's get through November first and see how crazy you are after that. ;)

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

LowellDND posted:

LowellDND posted:

Day 46
Current 129,704
Total Goal: 135,000

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

Give yourself a month to cool off before doing another one of these. Make that a New Years resolution or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

I find phrasing an idea in different but equivalent terms often helps.

December is 31 days off, but lets go ahead and give you Christmas Eve, Day, and New Year's Eve off.

So 28 days, say you treat it like a full time job and put in 8 hours each day, that comes out to 224 hours total.

Do you think it is crazy to write 670 words an hour? 1,340 an hour if you do 4 hours a day for 28 days.

Honestly maybe not that crazy if you keep a consistent pace and put the time in? I don't know how much revisions or prep-work you do, which could play a huge part, obviously.

Edit: Probably pretty loving crazy for something you're doing for free.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Goal is to obviously publish eventually and make dollars and dollars from internet sales :v:

But yeah, January seems more prudent, given the holidays. I did 5k this morning in ~12 hours, but I dunno how consistent I could do that.

edit: Joke option: Will post for delivery and steam games :v:

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 19, 2015

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LowellDND posted:

Goal is to obviously publish eventually and make dollars and dollars from internet sales :v:

But yeah, January seems more prudent, given the holidays. I did 5k this morning in ~12 hours, but I dunno how consistent I could do that.

edit: Joke option: Will post for delivery and steam games :v:

Thai, Mexican, or Chinese?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Sigh. Ima have to Amazon Fresh this kid or he's going to die.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There Bias Two posted:

Thai, Mexican, or Chinese?

Thai or Chinese, definitly :D

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Sigh. Ima have to Amazon Fresh this kid or he's going to die.

Shh, you. If the DF guy can do it, so can I.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There, I threw a wishlist together :cheeky: :v:

edit: Not entirely sure on the rules for wishlists on site, so PM me or find me in mibbit :D

Also, let me know if youve gotten me a game (or whatever) before, Ill put a thank you in the note. :3:

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 19, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Slice of Life from so, so close to Terra: Jonn Knox, supplicant:

It encroached on his dreamsvisiontruths first, but soon after it was there in his drugged waking days. As certain as physical law. Planetary gravity. Hate for the xeno. He could close his eyes and point it out to the not-yets and will-bes that shamble around his cell.

The Astronomican. Terra. The God-Emperor.

For almost 60 sleep cycles it had grown … not closer, bigger, more present and near-palpable. It really did feel like gravity - mental, spiritual gravity - more real than that created by His Inexorable Triumph's unseen engines. The psychic presence at first existed despite the oppressive atmosphere of the ship. Comforting consistency in this ever-twisting echo chamber. For a short time, even, the madhouse noises in his mind dimmed, the mental atmosphere lightened and Knox knew a sense of peace that he hadn’t experienced since before the Magos’s uprising on the Beast. He slept and had the last “real” dreams of his life – the kind that didn’t feel like unripe truth and leave a cloying sickly taste in his brain. Regular dreams.

But the presence never stopped growing, and soon crowded out regular thoughts alongside the imagined/future/to-be’s. He could feel The God-Emperor like a heat on his face, a furnace stoked high.

There was a subsensory lurch that felt so like ”SIMILAR-BUT-DIFFERENT!” she cackled the sensation of a Geller field dropping. He could feel last bits of psyker pressure dissipating into the Warp. Captain Jonn Knox would, later, look back on that as a (last?) moment of pure relief.

There was another, familiar and indescribable sensation of the Gellar Field proper winking out of existence. The familiar lurch of a ship escaping the Warp and re-entering realspace. Suddenly the heat of a too-hot furnace became a star’s surface pressed up tight against every atom and thought of his being and the light of The God-Emperor was all there was. Six thousand unsanctioned psykers screamed and gibbered in a chorus of religious, ecstatic dread. Almost a third of them never stopped, though their vocal cords eventually did.

His Inexorable Truimph hit high orbit around the cradle of Mankind. Welcome to Terra.

bio | discovery | black ship 1 | black ship 2 | to terra | SANCTIONING | training 1 | training 2 | training 3 | limosa | eduard | coward

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yes good yes :3:

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I sent you a steam friend request, I got at least one game on your wishlist sitting around in my inventory.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Monocled Falcon posted:

I sent you a steam friend request, I got at least one game on your wishlist sitting around in my inventory.

Added! :3:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Can we influence story decisions by buying you things, asking for a friend.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

Can we influence story decisions by buying you things, asking for a friend.

I am certainly influenced by games I see and play :v:

(Eg, you see a lot of XCOM in Arc 1 and 2 :v: )

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to buy you Dropsy then.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I'll have to buy you Dropsy then.

A game that is full of hugs :3:

Time for Papa Nurgle!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 19
Current 29,974
Total Goal: 31,666

In Chains

“Why is he on a chain?”
Lionus nodded. “Ah, you have a good eye. It’s to reduce the effect of his hideousness on others. Your retinue seems to be badly afflicted. Nausea, hallucinations. Paranoia.”
“Odd. I don’t feel much an effect.” An uncomfortable silence. You walked around the kneeling figure, watching him. “Are you sure he works?”
“Quite sure. Perhaps you have been exposed to blanks in the past?”
Your mind flickered back to psiders, crawling in the darkness. “Yes.”
“Perhaps that is it then.” Lionus didn’t sound convinced, but you shrugged internally. You could dissect the blank later, perhaps. “He’s a highly trained Culexus Assassin, granted at the discrection of the High Lords. His primary target is psykers - I would reccomend keeping him away from any you favor.”
“How you do you activate him?”
“Drop the chain, remove the mask. He’ll kill any psykers he sees.”
“Mm. Can he be sent on missions, or is it purely close range?”
“Nothing too complex. You could drop him near an enemy base or army and remove the mask then, but you couldn’t expect him to go through customs or travel the stars.”
“Battlefield only then.”
“Correct.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I have two sites in mind to visit, but otherwise you are welcome to go touristing :D It's Terra! Homeworld of Humanity!

Surely there's something you'd want to see? :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
How, if at all, do we retrieve him?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
What would the memory of being waved through the blind idiot power of a dead god look like?

jonn knox sanctioning

The door opened, light HE IS SO BRIGHT spilled in. The old woman. He could see her so clearly SEE EVERTYHING IN HIS LIGHT now: her skin is drawn so tight, clipped at the back of her head like long hair in a bun. Papyrus pulled back over wasted muscles. It seems impossible she could stand IN HIS GLORY HIS PRESENCE HIS AURA even with the forgiving artificial grav. But she did, she did, she did.

“Praise be, void born! Let Him lift you up. Let Him! But He only helps those that help themselves. On your feet! This is it!” Her glee was so unlike her form. This was a child on a holiday A HOLY DAY trapped in an impossible puppet of a crone.

On your feet Grey Cloak. We're doing it. Lean through the doorway. Down the hall, others dragged. Red X’s drawn in bright red ink across their slack or screaming or bleeding faces. PRAISE HIM

A shuttle. Eyes DON'T STOP HIS LIGHT closed. Another inspection of the unmarked, check the merchandise. This one’s a precog, the first reads, mebbe he could be a, uh, astropath? Too old, says the other. Wouldn’t survive the TOUCH OF HIS GRACE Sanctioning that close. A single red marker strike across the brow of those that would. Still screams. Weeping. Prayers. He tries to say a prayer to HIS holiest Commissar-Saint but his voice is gone HE CAN HEAR YOU SO CLOSE

Landed. Bulky figures in ponderous suits. Not space marines. Not power armor. Protective gear BLESSED GARB OF HIS HOLIEST. Radiation armor. The tribes had shredded remnants of something similar?

Dragged. Strapped in. A railcar. Three tracks. First track. Strapped tight. Blast doors. Rail for kilometers. years pass?

Here is forever

how is brighter

open room, open sky? see forever. feel it all. mind seared shut. Blessed is the mind too small for doubt hah ha.a. in god’s foyer. sound and fury. i am nothing. holy choir of idiot trumpets. strong. lights are on. daemons OUT!! sear the min d Holy holy holy burn. move along. train keeps rolling. echo fades. light still bright.

But I’ve been elevated. I’m bright, too. “He made me whole.”

Ten seats wide, the open-air railcar slowly grinds back to reality. The child – so young! – to his left is catatonic, rigid. The teenager girl to his right has the most serene green eyes and ragged raw flesh where a lifetime and baptism ago there were lips. Past her, someone is dead. Someone else is laughing. It's me, he thinks, and stops with difficulty.

The vehicle chugs into a temple. Huge, ancient. Incense wafts. Ahead, being lifted out of other cars, anointed with oils, blind – they SAW Him – astropaths. All silent, humbled, holy. Heaped against the far wall, same oils – only with torch applied – the tributes. Psykers that keep the Astronomican fed. He SAW them.

A robed figure, from a scroll. “-tension of His incredible will; congratulations. You, Jonn Knox, will be trained on Holy Terra as a Sanctioned Psyker, to become an extension of His incredible will; congratulations. You-“

We all walk in His immortal shadow.

bio | discovery | black ship 1 | black ship 2 | to terra | SANCTIONING | training 1 | training 2 | training 3 | limosa | eduard | coward

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 1, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Someone

I'd also like to see where the crusades are born. :3:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If the Ecclesiarchy is anything like Catholicism, going over to their headquarters with stories of St. Fabiyan's miracles and some generous bribes support for Ecclesiarchy projects might help speed along the official canonization of the living saint.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

PLC, That was really hella good.

Chills.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

I find phrasing an idea in different but equivalent terms often helps.

December is 31 days off, but lets go ahead and give you Christmas Eve, Day, and New Year's Eve off.

So 28 days, say you treat it like a full time job and put in 8 hours each day, that comes out to 224 hours total.

Do you think it is crazy to write 670 words an hour? 1,340 an hour if you do 4 hours a day for 28 days.

Honestly maybe not that crazy if you keep a consistent pace and put the time in? I don't know how much revisions or prep-work you do, which could play a huge part, obviously.

Edit: Probably pretty loving crazy for something you're doing for free.

So I've actually been giving this some thought.

The VA pays me to go to school, but I'm about to graduate (someday). That means Ill take a pay cut (Im a disabled vet), but I'll never have to worry about rent for as long as the government active ( :v: ).

So.... after I graduate, I might actually make this a thing. Get a website, post the timeline and first drafts, run it through the stages of editing maybe next year. Set up a donate page (paypal/patreon/steam/amazon/delivery or whatever). Publish the ebook. Maybe have a hardcopy buy on demand thing. If things actually do okay, I want to hire an artist and programmer and make a little indie game. Think 'Cinders', but for Arc 1.

I really think 5k words a day might be doable. Even if I only do it 300 of 360 days, thats 1.5 mil raw words, which is the Promethus cycle and then some.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It certainly seem viable for you. I don't think i ever see you having a writer block, but i guess you would made the 5k words either way.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And if fiction doesn't work out, there's always a career in technical writing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, so current plan.

I've obviously broken the five eras into separate million word projects. This one, Prometheus Cycle, is the last of them.

But in addition to that, I've already written 350k words for PC. So I intend to break that into individual books, each being 2 arcs or so.

So, first book would be introducing Ohone, doing Golgotha the first time, and escaping with Athena.
Second book would be opening with the parades, doing the trials and vacation arc. Basically, Fabiyan.
Etc.

That said, Im reading this http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3639693 right now

Then Ill cycle through the 4 draft plan through each double-arc.

draft 0: finish CYOA/get website/LLC or whatever
draft 1: sanitize the copyrighted references
draft 2: more PoVs (game of thrones style)
draft 3: trim and cut (foreshadowing, themes etc)
draft 4: real editor
get cover, blurb, publish

edit: Ark is telling me to do 10-20k chapter blocks instead of the 150k word big novel.

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 19, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Serialization is the past, but also the future. Supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I can pretend Im Dickens! :v: