Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood.

Waci
PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
Toughy
Grognan

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do?

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
Sullat
Tran

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic.

Van Sandman
Paragon

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism.

Slaan
Ark

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family.

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

What the hell, I'm going Team Black Crusade.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUMkcBctE7c

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
mars federation

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Slice of Life - Hello

What they don't tell you on the pilgrimage is how long it takes to walk it. It's not only the distances between the shrines, but the sheer mass of people that are also taking the same pilgrimage as you are. The influx of people, many of them older or dying and looking to die on sacred Terra clog the path and force everyone into what, by all appearances to people flying overhead, looks like a dying worm.

Given the amount of people and how long it can take to even go from one shrine to another, multiple towns and waystations pop up between them for pilgrims to stop, rest their feet, eat and sleep. Given the transient nature of the pilgrimage, these stations tend to pop up and close fairly often. Not used to being around so many people for so long, Ohone spots an abandoned station and makes off for it, hoping to get a breather away from people.

Ohone walks up to the makeshift structure and walks inside, immediately with a sense of dejavu.

LowellDND posted:

Around you was, for lack of any better word, a bar. There were shelves that held rows of bottles. There were a dozen tables. At each table sat a Krieg, and each Krieg had a bottle and a plate of military rations set up with military precision. They even had cigars, but each cigar was put the exact same angle. The Krieg behind the bar stood at attention, and the only person who seemed relaxed was Fabiyan.

Taken aback, except for the lack of the Krieg and explosive traps this makeshift bar reminds Ohone of the one on Golgatha. She dusts off one of the bottles left behind in the bar and sits on a stool and starts having a drink. There's no clean glassware so the bottle it is. She starts humming the start of a sad song she heard Ching Shih sing, then

Ohone posted:

Hello, it's me
I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet
To go over everything
They say time travel's supposed to heal ya, but it ain't done much healing

Hello, can you hear me?
I'm on Holy Terra dreaming about who we used to be
When we were younger and free
I've forgotten how it felt before Golgatha fell at our feet

There's such a difference between us
And a million miles

Hello from the other side
I must've purged a thousand lives
To tell you I'm sorry for everything that I've done
But when I call for you never seem to come home

Hello from the Iron Bride
At least I can say that I've tried
To tell you I'm sorry for making you depart
But it don't matter, daemons won't tear you apart
Anymore

Hello, how are you?
It's so typical of me to think about myself, I'm sorry
I hope that you're well
Did you ever make it out of the warp where daemons always happened?

It's no secret that all of us
Are running out of time

So hello from the other side

Anymore, ooooohh
Anymore, ooooohh
Anymore, ooooohh
Anymore, anymore

Hello from the other side

Anymore

Ohone finishes her drink and stares at the empty bottle on the empty bar. She remembers the words her husband said:

LowellDND posted:

“On many worlds, we qualify as psychologists. In some ways, we overlap with Chaplains - emotional health of the troops - in the same way Chaplains overlap with us - getting troops to kill the enemy.”
“Which is why you are talking to me now. My point is, humans look at a situation like this, this morning. They grieve, they feel pain. And they see something like the Krieg, and they say ‘hey, I want some of that.’ You really don’t. You only get that by losing everything that makes you human.” He drank another shot, stood. “So let yourself grieve.”

The empty bottle fills up again.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 25, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oof, right in the feels :(

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
^^^We miss him. :(

[CYOA] Dark Heresy: Rogue Trader: Black Crusade: Birth of the Federation: None More Black: Torment

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

We really do.

I'm in on Mars Federation.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 25
Current: 37,840
Total Goal: 41,666

Todays music: Hooverphonic

Shrine-City Abandoned Bar

“May I join you?”
You turned, looked over. The Lord-Sire had wheeled over to you, was alone. You reached for another glass, put it next to you. “Open bar. How’d you find me?”
“Athena.”
“Ah. She’s good like that.”
“She is. You’ve found yourself some good advisors.”
“Mm. Took a few purges.” You laughed harshly; he didn’t. “You don’t approve?”
He poured a glass, drank. “I think you are young.”
“What does that mean?”
“Everything is an emergency, has to be dealt with now. Have to show your strength, early and hard.”
“Sure. You spaced your whole Dreg Family.”
“Aye, I did. What did I do after, though?”
“Um.” You searched your memories. “I don’t know.”
“Terror can be good. Strike fast, strike suddenly.” He gazed into your eyes. “But don’t keep doing it.”
“I’m sorry?”
He gestured with the glass. “Terror is only useful if it’s random, a surprise. Lightning in a clear sky. You don’t want to make it a continual thing.”
“How else can I make them loyal?”
“Other tools. Terror works in sudden doses, you don’t want them to get used to it. They start to get complacent to it. If any action might result in death, they may as well replace you.”
“You think I’ve reached that point?”
“I do. You need to open up your toolbox for other things.”
“Like what?”
“Rewards.”
“For loyalty? They should provide it regardless.”
“Mm, you are doing it again. You want to reinforce their good actions. You’ve terrorized them away from bad ones, but how do they know what to do now?”
“My will.”
“Sure, but what is it? I’ve only seen you award one person, and that was after she died.” He glanced at you sideways. “And we both know that’s not how it went.”
“You think I should reward people?”
“Sure. Promotions, whether of actual power or titles. Money. It’s mostly useless at this stage of things, but most people haven’t figured that out. Recognition.”
“It seems… unnecessary.”
“I had this conversation with Kiera a lot, you know.” He drank. “I’m not sure what it is about the Mechanicus, but becoming a Magi makes you pretty bad at dealing with people.”
“She didn’t do much of those award ceremonies.”
“She did. Remember when you got back from Golgotha? Got your choice of best implants, from both Family and Mechanicus stores.”
“I didn’t know you knew that.”
“I told her the idea.”
“Ah. So who do you think I should reward?”
“I don’t think you feel trust towards anyone, or expect them to be loyal. So create some.”
“Trust?”
“Loyalty. If you are the source of their rise to success, they rely on you. They’ll ensure you stay so they can stay.” He poured another. “Your cult of personality is alright for the Dregs, but for the thinkers, the doers - your Tribunes - you need more. A good Rogue-Trader is surrounded by the ambitious and the hungry…”
“Of course. That’s why I need to watch them. Paralyze them.”
“Which is why you need to reward them. We both know the type of people who try to make it big at Court. You want them to be directed outwards, not inwards. They are half-feral dogs, but you want them to remember you are the one feeding them.” He drank. “So start feeding them.”

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood.

Waci
PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
Sullat
Tran
Tomn

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic.

Van Sandman
Paragon

Slaan
Ark

Rahul

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family.

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 25, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Excuse me, but I'd like to point out that Team Ricola doesn't appear to be present. :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

Excuse me, but I'd like to point out that Team Ricola doesn't appear to be present. :colbert:

What are their traits? :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Smile and then shoot DiMusio. "I am the new dawn." Then tell everyone he has passed.

His advice is all well and good but do we really need to "manage people". They'll all be servitors or dead soon anyway. This whole conspiracy to humanize Ohone really should have ended with a certain cardiac arrest. We need to be strong, not manipulative and soft-hearted.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

Cherry honey, lemon mint, mixed berry.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Take good advice.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 25
Current: 38,405

Todays music: Hooverphonic

Shrine-City Abandoned Bar 2

“Who do you think I should trust?”
“No one.” He coughed. “But you need to anyway. Running a Dynasty means delegation. You give them enough rope to hang themselves. The good ones you promote, the bad ones…”
“You kill.”
He glanced at you. “Manage. Put on a dead outpost somewhere. Give them a title and twenty staff in the middle of nowhere, tell them to make you money. Minimize their ability to damage you. Put in risky situations. If they lose, they die and it’s no loss for you. If they win, it’s an unexpected success.”

He poured you one. “Drink. And you can’t expect everyone to be exact copies of you. Everyone comes with their own bundle of quirks…” He met your eyes briefly. “And hooks to manipulate. Cruentus, for example. Great fighter. Good leader. Cost a bit extra in replacing mercs. Not a good investigator. You have to find what they are good at, and leave them there.”

“What else?”
He poured you both one - the bottle was almost empty. “You need to stay visible. You have a habit of thinking you are still a troubleshooter, still a Tribune. You aren’t - you are the big drat backup. You saw me active what, once in five years? Leave the melee and the quests to the Tribunes, it’s what they are there for.”
“But I’m the best for the job.”
“You often are. But doing that job means other jobs aren’t getting done, and you are the only one for those. Who are the merchant houses that are trouble? Who have we had good success with?”
“I don’t know.”
“Mm. What is Sister Katarina’s relationship to the Church, and your Hierophant?”
You winced. “I don’t know.”
“How does Colonel Wolfgang handle mercenaries? Do you know where to get more? What favors can the Dynasty trade for some? They are expensive right now.”
“I don’t know.”
“What’s the supply status of the Abrogates? Are we anticipating any shortages?”
You didn’t need to reply. He continued. “Any parts of the ship that are in danger? That one is your job as Magos. You’ve ordered repairs on everything, but how are the new Machine-Spirits interacting with the old ones? How do they handle the new environment? Are there any troublemakers? Your position as Lord-Sire - and your staff in the Inner Family - need to know. Have you met them yet?”
“Ah. I’ve met Astin De Merode.” The one who had seen you talk to ghosts.
“Good people. How are her friends, her allies? What is going on in the Inner Family? Their politics don’t leave the Alpha Deck, but it’s vicious. You need to know that.”
His tone was at once kindly teacher and merciless Lord-Sire, and you looked away, more embarrassed than you had been in years. “What’s going on with the psyker guilds? Limosa built them as his power base for decades. Do you think he’s a problem? What’s his reward and threat to keep him around? The Little-Sire has a powerbase in the Tribunes, might try a from-below strategy. How are you prepared for him? Does he want to advance?”

You reached for the bottle, drank. Winced. “Spose I should have found this out.”
“Yeah. I don’t have much time left, and Limosa is well prepared to teach you. But you need to be ready to listen.” He cocked his head. “I ran a tight ship for centuries - much of the infrastructure is still there.”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Volmarias posted:

Alphorns look heretical. Purge.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 25
Current: 38,989

Shrine City 8

You shook the bottle. “Looks like we’re about out.”
“Aye, looks like. Head back?”
“Sure.”

It was slow going making it to the Shrine-City of Vulkan - you had started at sundown, and it was nearly midnight by the time you made it. It involved a fair bit of pushing through the sleeping, occasionally, kicking, and demanding that people open a lane wide enough for his machine. A few people were unhappy about it, but seeing a fully garbed Magos changed their mind.

Hah. Sometimes terror was the right solution.

Frederik was already flagging by the time you got there, and you paid your respects before exploring more of the Shrine-City. You didn’t really need much sleep anymore, so much of your body was machine, and if your brain needed to sleep, you simply spent time with the computers running things. Come to think of it, maybe that was why Magi seemed so strange to the outside world.

You thought about what he had said as you walked aimlessly about. Some of the forges were still active, but they held little interest to you. Basic machine tools were for entry level Mechanicus - you had background even to design or repair a Titan. And all the children and young people, well fed, well rested. It was bizarre.

Still. Perhaps if you thought of it as a reward system, it might work. Particularly loyal or heroic families might get extra food rations - you could see the Salamanders doing that, increasing loyalty among their serfs. It was also delightfully self-correcting - cowards and traitors got less food, would eventually die on their own. Heroic and loyal families would be rewarded, recognized. Emulated.

Yes, that could work.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Do we have anything else we wanna see/talk to at Vulkan, or shall we go to the Space Wolves next? Or skip them for Sanguinius?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Sidenote: This is why I'm not too worried about the direction Ohone is going in. Any time she's gone super crazy, she's had someone to talk her down - and she seems to listen, for at least a while. She's damaged, and she's paranoid, but she's still self-reflective. But really all that just means is that Lowell can write her as a good character, even with/despite the directions we keep pulling her in. I trust Lowell to write her, whatever path she ends up going down.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want Ohone to give a random retinue member a hug just to see their reaction.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I want Ohone to give a random retinue member a hug just to see their reaction.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Go go team Mars Fed!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we combine Mars federation and black crusade? I've always thought humanity's future lay in embracing technology. And the warp and xenos is part of that. Take everything and use it to advance. Warptek, xenotek, heretek, arceotek... It's all just tools to make bigger tools.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Can you imagine what Ohones computer brain would come up with for a hug with that horrible vox-synth voice?

"MINOR UNDERSECRETARY OF THE DISCRETIONARY ACCOUNTING CONCLAVE-UNIT NUMBER-7-7-8-12. NAME: MAURICE DE LA GRAVESON XXXVI. YOU ARE A VALUED MEMBER OF THIS SHIP. ACCEPT THIS PERSONAL REWARD FROM THE LORDSIRE".

Six mechadendrites then whip out at high speed. Two embrace him in a hug, two scan him for bombs and traitorous thoughts while the last two inject space-heroin into his spine as the computer-developed "employee of the week" reward.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Can you imagine what Ohones computer brain would come up with for a hug with that horrible vox-synth voice?

"MINOR UNDERSECRETARY OF THE DISCRETIONARY ACCOUNTING CONCLAVE-UNIT NUMBER-7-7-8-12. NAME: MAURICE DE LA GRAVESON XXXVI. YOU ARE A VALUED MEMBER OF THIS SHIP. ACCEPT THIS PERSONAL REWARD FROM THE LORDSIRE".

Six mechadendrites then whip out at high speed. Two embrace him in a hug, two scan him for bombs and traitorous thoughts while the last two inject space-heroin into his spine as the computer-developed "employee of the week" reward.

:allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Can we combine Mars federation and black crusade? I've always thought humanity's future lay in embracing technology. And the warp and xenos is part of that. Take everything and use it to advance. Warptek, xenotek, heretek, arceotek... It's all just tools to make bigger tools.

If you can persuade the people involved :v:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Love wins! *pop*

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Arkanomen posted:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
In addition to anything else we could give people who please us descendants of our cat Flours as a white elephant gift. It would make people feel as though they are a part of a club. A stupid pointless club but that describes most professional associations.

So how about it team Mars federation, are we down with turning xeno and warp tech to humanity's heel?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm open to it but not without Hera's and Athena's consent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Team Inquisition is shaking its head in irritation at this line of conjecture. We make a counterproposal: defeat the aliens and the xeno, contain xeno and warp artifacts with the highest security, and slowly, carefully test them for efficacy. Any artifacts that cannot be kept under complete control must be destroyed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

JT Jag posted:

Team Inquisition is shaking its head in irritation at this line of conjecture. We make a counterproposal: defeat the aliens and the xeno, contain xeno and warp artifacts with the highest security, and slowly, carefully test them for efficacy. Any artifacts that cannot be kept under complete control must be destroyed.

Agreed.

But the same could be said for the actual xenos and their culture as well. Examine them and incorporate if safe and beneficial to do so (Eg, Tau, yes. Tyranid, probably not?)

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Team Inquision while we act under Mars Fed ideals externally. Be prepared for things to go horribly wrong and set things up as preventative measures

I suggest we implant all our Tribunes with fusion bombs.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Slice of Life: Jonn Knox, plaything

I can't win, the thought finishing to the shocking thop! of my vertebrae shearing as my attacker PUUUUULL-

I twist and launch him by his grasping arms before they wrap around my head. Weariness and the not-inconsiderable size disparity sends me staggering as well. Close enough.

"My attacker" - surely he's abhuman, no way we get that big - has close enough to half a meter and what feels like 1000 kilos on me. Barcode on forehead. Penal legionnaire (doesn't matter)? Heavy facial scarring, one eye clouded white (relevant) and the other wild with whatever stimm they pumped him full of (really loving relevant). Explosive collar matches mine, maybe I could do him like he almost did me if I could get some kind of leverage against his body with my feet. A bracer on his non-dominant arm pumps some combat drug. Whatever it is makes him fast. I literally see the loving future and he adjusts to my rewrites. gently caress.

A second after the last, another clash and I collapse away from a kick with a fractured rib instead of two embedded in my lungs. Bitch of it being I still feel the puncture. I still drown in my own blood. I've died a half-dozen times in this 30 second brawl. I took one of his few remaining teeth and it looks like a bloody grin but he's just biting at whatever flesh gets close enough, it's madness not glee. He's too fast and I can't win. 

Twitchy, pure muscle-memory, he's reacting to my every moment as it happ-

Worth a shot.

---

In one of the rare moments of one-on-one with the overworked and idiosyncratic instructors, Knox was "taught" - told about, almost-shown - things the instructor can do. She could shield her mind from probing. Push her thoughts to a willing recipient. It was telepathy, he's not a telepath.

Still, worth a shot.

---

He reaches to bearhug me and I clutch at my own head like that matters and push as hard as I can. My mind at his. He bellows as he wraps me up and my body shatters! as he SQUEEEEEZ-

I adjust to the vision, he thinks it's real. I replace his good eye with my thumb and kick in his knee. Even blind he is faster and stronger, smashes his fist against the hand hooked into his eye socket and shatters all parties involved. Done.

I stand with my hands behind my head while both collars beep. Some handlers come out, an instructor. She takes my shattered hand in hers and I feel cold fire emanate from the bones as they knit. We both gasp at the shock. Lesson complete for the day.

I go to my bunk and uneasily dream of a dragon wrapped around Luna, around me. It exhales, wreathes me in flames and I am transformed.

bio | discovery | black ship 1 | black ship 2 | to terra | SANCTIONING | training 1 | training 2 | training 3 | limosa | eduard | coward

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 1, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

People asked what Hera would think of warptek, so here's what came out of the conversation.

Day 25
Current: 39,277

Utilitarianism

“Hera, you awake?”
She opened her eyes, looked at you oddly. “Really?”
You gestured. “Sorry. Was talking with Lord-Sire. People skills.”
“He is quite good at them.”
“I’m trying to learn from him.”
“More than the hierarchies of the Machine. I can tell. What did you want to ask me?”
“Can you ensure privacy?”
“Certainly. Proceed.”

Nothing had changed that you could tell, but you shrugged inwardly. “Okay. Something I’ve been mulling over. The Warp - the Great Enemy - took our best generals and troops, made them serve them. Started a civil war.”
“I’m aware.”
“Right. So is it possible that it did the same with Odin and his followers? Athena said the Warp was calm in her time - did you notice in getting worse?”
“Yes, it was. We stopped a lot of research into it because it was too risky, and we were strapped for resources.”
“Do you think it caused the war?”
“Could have. The change in conditions might have been a response to it, as well.”
You bit your cheek thoughtfully. “Hm. Would there be a way to tell?”

She shrugged. “I wouldn’t be inclined to risk it. The Warp is a dangerous place.”
“Athena said it could be investigated, though. Make human level intelligences, send them in. figments.”
“Unethical though. Sending a human into the warp?”
“But if it needed to be done.”
“I never liked those kinds of decisions. Or to make a person just to have them die.”
“But you made them.”
“Sometimes. I remember every one.”

“So… say you were a war-Mind, like Odin. Wanted to investigate things. Would he have done it?”
“Certainly.”
“Do you think that is what changed him?”
“I’m not sure. He probably did it at some point, but whether it was the initial change, or even a later one, I am not sure.”

“You can make copies, though? Predictions of people?”
“Sure.”
“Okay. What if you made copies of our most Faithful person?”
“What would that do?”
“Faith Protects. Send them in to look around, collect data.”
Hera looked at you in distaste. “What’s the point of all this?”
“We’re fighting an army of warp-engines, Dark Mechanicus. I would like to know more about what’s going on.”

Current Mental State

Waci
PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
AntiCheese

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica

Van Sandman
Paragon

Slaan
Ark

Rahul

Volmarias

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 25
Current: 39,648

Shrine 9

“Athena.”
“Yes, my dear?”
You blinked. That was new. “Uh. Okay. Had some questions for you.”
“Trying out those new people skills?” Her tone was teasing.
“You got it. So, in your era, how did you approach war?”
You could tell that she had shifted to a serious mood. “It was mostly historical interest.”
“So, you didn’t have ethics of war, that kind of thing.”
“Well, we had a code of ethics. All life is sacred, whenever possible.”
“Really? Even like … dangerous things?”
“When possible. We tried to keep them separated, let them live their lives.”
“I guess. More of a personal question, then.”
“Sure.”
“Which is more important - winning a war, or staying true to yourself?”
“Ah, the deep questions. Asking about your Abrogates, I assume?”
“Partially. I turned a city with a culture many centuries old into my death cult.”
“Feeling regrets?”
“Wondering if I should. I did what I needed to do to survive…”
“But…”
“But I don’t know if I should have.” What would Fabiyan think…
“Well, let me start by saying that without doing those things, you wouldn’t be here to ask the question.”
“Right.”
“Right. So, one thing we called it in my day was survivor’s guilt. You lived when others did not, and you wonder if that’s how it should have been. If there was a better way, if you deserved to live, things like that.”
“You think I have survivor’s guilt?”
“Honestly, I think you are a superlative survivor, and that you don’t really worry about it.”
“Then why am I asking about it?”
“I think you worry about other people.”
“Really?”
“Some of them. What they think about you, things like that.”
“So you think I feel guilt about what I did to the Lord-Sire?”
“That seems more likely. But I think you are asking more about the future.”
“I guess.” You considered. “If we win, and the galaxy is all Abrogates, is it worth it?”
“I’ve never had to make a decision like that.”
“But if you had that choice?”
“I probably would rather die.”
You paused, shifted uncomfortably. She spoke again.
“Not the answer you were expecting?”
“Not the answer I’ve historically chosen.”
“And maybe that’s why your current society is like it is. People like me didn’t make that choice.”
“So.. you are saying I should? Anything to survive?”
She was silent for a long time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The answer is don't do anything to survive. That would require breaking our pledge to Fabian about letting him kill us if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm Team Inquisitor

Love all these conversations. :allears: