Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Grouchio posted:

I love that show, yet I still do not know the stars, planets, weapons, divisions and specific non-major events enough to understand much when role-playing a tech-priest.

I make up most everything for the story :v: I mention some of the canonical stars/worlds/whatever, but not very much. Feel free to ask questions ^_^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Grouchio posted:

I love that show, yet I still do not know the stars, planets, weapons, divisions and specific non-major events enough to understand much when role-playing a tech-priest.

All you need to know is that it was a nice enough galaxy, barring a few millennia of war... And then we messed it all up FOREVER. ;)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 439547

http://www.yourepeat.com/watch?v=q_hwqbhdQLI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpcTtWSG7yM

Twenty Three

There was power in words, it is said. A word in the right place - or the wrong one - can start wars, win or lose them. Sticks and stones may hurt you, but words will kill you slow, one devouring syllable at a time. If you know the right words, you can ruin someone, or make them great.

Although less common, there are also power in numbers. Sacred numerology, one of the secret lores of those who would know. The Mechanicus was the largest holder of them - their knowledge of discrete mathematics and higher forms allowed them to build engines the size of mountains, to traverse the continents or leap into the void.

The Inquisition knew of sacred numbers as well, taken in large part from the seized tomes of cultists across the galaxy. The sacred numbers were core to the Great Enemy. The Weaver of Fate was Nine, itself three by three. The Blood God was Eight - two by two by two. The Plague Lord was Seven - a number whose power was known even to laymen. And She Who Thirsts was Six. Neither square nor prime, She could be all things to all people.

The appearance of a downward count is merely the speculation of the idle.

Twenty three of the most holy waited in a shuttle, knowing they were going to their deaths. An acceptable sacrifice, to allow the breach by the main body of forces. Such a thing as them was as the Sun to the creatures of the Warp - blinding and alluring, the provider of life and heat, but also the source of their incandescence.

The Warp itself trembled at their approach, withdrawing at a distance of dozens of kilometers. Daemons rose out of the murk, thousands - millions? Gathering around the strange thing before them. It was, to quote an ancient poet, as if an ocean was gathered around a candle, attempting to warm itself. The results, as it were, were no surprise to anyone.

The bubble popped, and the Warp filled around them, and the creatures that lived there. A sphere of faces surrounded them, maws of beauty and hunger, claws and teeth and pincers. Every daemon in a [non-Euclidean measure] distance was there, pulled away from the entrance of the Maw. Drawn by this little thing.

It was an avatar of the God-Emperor Himself, pressing out against them. The great presence that beamed from Terra, bringing tides of holy light and banishment, had focused in on this point, and the twenty three Martyrs were burning brighter than mortal eyes could envision. All was white around them, and even as their eyes melted like pitch, they could see.

The madness of the Warp assaulted them in waves, even as the thousands of daemons melted into nothingness - permanently destroyed. They were the weakest first, pushed ahead by their stronger brethren. Sacrificial waves, to be fed to the sacrifice of the Martyrs. The daemons burned away, and the Martyrs burned with them.

There weren’t Saints. There was something else - something different. Perhaps even something new. The God-Emperor was using them to channel Himself, the power beating like a great heart, and their bodies could not bear it for long. For all their purification and all their Faith, they were only human. And the God-Emperor wasn’t.

It took tens of thousands of daemons - entire armies, enough to conquer countless worlds - to break them down. The daemons didn’t break through the God-Emperor’s power, oh no. Instead, the human frailties broke them. It took time - perhaps even days or weeks, as their bodies were slowly converted to pure psychic energy, and then devoured. Fed into the blaze that was the inferno on Terra. One by one, they slowly winked out, and were gone.

An empty shuttle, battered and of the purest white, rested motionlessly outside Ceres.

Any suggestion that twenty three - the ninth prime, itself three by three, and composed of three lesser primes - might be related to the Architect of Fate is, of course, nonsense.

-

The poet mentioned, of course, is Pratchett.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 440,239

Maelstrom

“This is Hell,” Hera muttered “Nor am I out of it.”
You blinked at her. “Hm?”
She gestured distastefully, rubbed her arms. “I don’t like this. The feel of this place.”
If anything, your confusion mounted. “You’ve traveled the Warp a thousand times.”
“Yeah, but this … is more focused. I’ve rerouted everything I can spare to the Gellar fields. If you could see me right now, you’d see only half an eye looking out from twenty meters of bunker.”
“And the rest hiding?”
“Got it in one. You shouldn’t have brought us here.”
“Needs must when the devil drives.” Athena’s tone was brisk.
“Easy for you to say. Your body isn’t even here.”
She shrugged. “I’m sure the Warp would do unpleasant things to this Avatar if it could. Don’t worry Hera, we all believe in you.”
Hera gestured, presumably at the outside. “So do they. I’m rather worried their belief is stronger.”

You shook your head. “That’s not true even a little bit. A few dozen of our Martyrs distracted the gate. It was unguarded when we went in, and even now they are destroying thousands of daemons. Our Faith will win us through yet.”
Hera grunted skeptically. “Our best, most faithful are out there destroying thousands. You know as well as I do that they won’t survive, and we can’t replicate it.”
“Trusting in your technology?”
“No.” Hera’s voice was bitter. “This is a bad place, Ohone. We should have found an alternate method of winning.”
“Any suggestions? Would have been nice to get some.”
“We rely on you for the crazy ideas.”
“Well, this is my crazy idea.”
Hera smiled briefly, if humorlessly. “It’s pretty crazy.”
“Stick with what I do best, that’s what I always say.”

Fabiyan tapped the handle of pistol absently - you could see the worn grips that fit to him perfectly. He had had it a long time, most of his life. Absently, you wondered if you could improve it in someway, or even if he would want it changed. He was often stubborn about some things. “What are we seeing out there?”
Hera turned her head to him. “In the Warp?”
“Well, we can’t really take a look. So, what do you see?”
“Daemons.”
“I figured. But, you said it was different from the usual?”
Hera paused.

“Yeah. It’s different.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 8, 2016

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Trust the tech-priest to end up someplace metal. :rock:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

well, that's not good

how big is the titan compared to that?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

meteloides posted:

well, that's not good

how big is the titan compared to that?

You assume we are in a place where size has meaning. A better question would be: how big does the titan make you feel?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh man what an update.

Also dear god Emperor what possible thing is out there that terrifies both other daemons and the Minds?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
She looks fun. Let's call her Stampy.

You know the mind controllers the evil reptilians on Dinoriders used on the T-rex Et al? Can we slap on on a few of the greater demons and go from there?

If we change how they perceive the world we could do a brain in the jar and control them by making them think we are demons and demons are space marines, dreadnoughts, titans etc.

Don't look at me like that Hera, you wanted crazy and I've delivered. Now go design me some demon hats.

Edit: Bolded because it's my actual vote, not idle speculation.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 8, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
That's actually the warp's equivalent of a dust mite. If man could truly comprehend the scale of his insignificance he would know true madness. The warp shows the true face of things.

Helmsman Eduoard, guide us to our quarry! Steady as she goes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If a dust mite gets into your brain it could cause a stroke. An army of mites could bring a legion to the ground.

Don't dwell on how insignificant you are, consider instead how significant you may become. The world is our carpet, we can dwell within or tread upon it.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 8, 2016

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Kill it with Fire!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
If Huron lives within a castle atop a hulking dust mite, then what is that mite walking around on? Don't look down.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I like turtles (all the way down)

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The turtle was actually a chicken all along.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
poo poo, the idea that what we see is the warp-form of Huron's ship makes so much sense.

KILL IT WITH FIRE anyhow!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So the image...disappeared. :tinfoil:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
IT WAS NOT MEANT FOR MORTAL EYES

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 440,239

Brain in a Jar

Your command staff was staring wordlessly at the screen before them. Carefully filtered, over and over again, run through Geller fields and holy-water-cooled machines, it was a view of the outside of the ship. Or, at least as much as the human mind could comfortably deal with. You had some internal concerns about bringing Minds here - what if they went rogue like they had during the Dark Age of Technology? But they seemed to be holding it pretty well together, at least so far.

It was hard to tell distance, or scale, in a place like this. But there was something in the way they moved - the sheer bulk, the slow sloughing of skin and debris - that suggested something larger than Titans, perhaps larger than Hive Cities. The fortresses on their back seemed to suggest it, at least, and the daemons themselves were climbing ponderously through mountainous swamps of parasitic worms. You could see them burrowing at the hooves of the monster - and infrequently, a leg was drawn in. You were pretty sure that the hills would pull down an entire daemon, if you watched long enough.

Fabiyan cleared his throat. “So… any guess on what those are?”
Hera shrugged disgustedly. “Concepts made form. Decay, inevitability. Tradition. Surrender. Memory.”
“I would think those would be good things. The God-Emperor is a god of tradition, for example.”
“Sure, but the Great Enemy … takes them to their maximum. If you were to approach those cities, I expect you would see buildings decaying as much as their inhabitants. Lives of ritual and inertia.”
Ching Shih gave a faint smile at that, but didn’t comment.
“So, if they are concepts… could we mess with them a bit? Project enough psyker energy to make them think each other is … an aberration, or something?”
Hera coughed. “Yes, well.”

The room paused with uncomfortable silence. You looked at the others, then at her. “Well?”
“This place draws on self image.”
“Yeah, so?”
“I’ve been this ship for twenty thousand years.”
“So, what, the Beast … looks like how you picture yourself?”

“Uhm… you could say that.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
WHERE'S DEVRIES

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cool... Is that supposed to be a planet sized sperm/egg metaphor thing?

Also hera is misdirecting, can she make some stimuli hats or not?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Are we saying that the Beast appears to the rest of the things around us as however it is Hera imagines herself as after a zillion years? So, pretty badass, right?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I don't know whether to play the Pacific Rim theme or give her the biggest hug. Is that an unstoppable, perfect war machine thing or this kind of an "As Hera awoke one morning from uneasy dreams she found herself transformed in her bed into a gigantic insect" deal?

e: it is pretty neat to think that Minds have the sheer... ego, if not psychic presence, to be Big Deals in the Warp. Though that is of course relative.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Hera said Usually, meaning she's been here before. She's been in the warp long enough to gain a familiarity with it.

Just for shits and giggles
Look at ourselves in the mirror with our Psyocculum, hell look at everyone!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

If Huron lives within a castle atop a hulking dust mite, then what is that mite walking around on? Don't look down.

Reminds me of the fields of muscle fiber you used to get in dwarf fortress.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Arkanomen posted:

Hera said Usually, meaning she's been here before. She's been in the warp long enough to gain a familiarity with it.

Just for shits and giggles
Look at ourselves in the mirror with our Psyocculum, hell look at everyone!

##vote
1. let's not and say we didn't.
remember how hosed up we were after Agatha's World? that'll be a blip compared to playing with the psyocculum right now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

LowellDND posted:

ah, see, the picture I was using was
Can/has Rogal Dorn shown up yet?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We just have the whole ship meditate on the word "Invictus" over and over again.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I've got loving chills.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

meteloides posted:

##vote
1. let's not and say we didn't.
remember how hosed up we were after Agatha's World? that'll be a blip compared to playing with the psyocculum right now.

We'll be fine. It will also be valuable information on people's inner selves. Get the literal inside scoop on Ching and the minds and Fabs. All were going to see the mirror is hello kitty covered in mechadendrites.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I've got loving chills.

Yeah, I'm loving the atmospherics and the sense of otherness .

Do we have an anti-daemon horn? BWAAAMP!

edit: unrelated. Thanks for the Honor Harrington suggestion, Lowell. 80% through book one and loving it

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 9, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grouchio posted:

Can/has Rogal Dorn shown up yet?

Yes :D

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I've got loving chills.

^_^

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah, I'm loving the atmospherics and the sense of otherness .

Do we have an anti-daemon horn? BWAAAMP!

edit: unrelated. Thanks for the Honor Harrington suggestion, Lowell. 80% through book one and loving it

Only gets better from there :D You'll see a lot of the missile spam in the later books that I have going in the Terra fight :D

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ask Hera and Athena if we can give them a hug and tell them thanks.

Don't bother asking Fabian. He gets a hug and a kiss and a thanks and a butt grab.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 440,609

Awoke as a giant insect

You started at the screen in something like shock. “So, we … are travelling around in a planet sized war-machine?”
Hera shrugged half self-consciously. “Continent sized.”
“I mean. We could take some of the shuttles and fly around in the newer bigger Beast?”
“I wouldn’t recommend it.” Athena’s tone was amused. “Going into the Warp without a Geller field. Bad idea.”
You waved it off. “Well, fly inside then. Travel hundreds of kilometers through … the legs? I guess?”
“A better question would be, can we use the Beast to stomp those daemons.” Fabiyan’s voice was firm. “They only looked mountain-sized, after all.”
Hera gestured frustratedly. “It doesn’t really work like that. We could approach and find them as large as stars, depending on their surety.”
You glanced at Athena. “And you? Where is your planet-sized war machine?”
“I’m just me.” Her tone was brisk. “I’ve never had any misgivings or self-doubt about the war.”
“Only because you never participated in it.” Hera noted, eyes narrowed.
“You coming around on that, then? That I wasn’t behind the betrayal?”
Fabiyan coughed. “Let’s focus, please. I think this is the last place in the universe for self doubt or recriminations.”
Hera looked at him, then nodded. “Fine.”
You tapped your fingers. “So, only the one planet sized war-machine.”
Your husband almost laughed, an odd coughing sound. “You are the only person I’ve ever met who would be sad there was just the one.”
“Well, I just like to have options!” You replied defensively.
“I’ve noticed that, yes.” Dryly.
“And you’ve never complained about it.”
“Indeed, indeed. Your habit of bringing far too many weapons has worked out for us.”
“That’s right.” You stared him down, then cracked a smile. A small one.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current: 440,910

Uneasy Dreams

“What are those worm things? They keep trying to … draw you in, or parasite you.” Train-sized tubes of hunger, roiling in their uncounted thousands.
Hera looked at the screen. “Physical concepts given form. Smaller ones. Inevitability, surrender, the end of struggle. Complacency and recrimination.”
“Are they … peircing the hull? What are we dealing with?”
“In a manner of speaking. They are … taunting me. As they succeed, they will break through in the more … physical way.”
“So … they are saying what a bad person you are?” You blinked.
“A failure, yes.”
“Ah.” You considered her words. “As they succeed?
“Yes. They will, eventually.”
“Um. How much time do we have?”
“What does time mean in a place like this?”
You paused. “Ah.”
“So if you could hurry up and win, that would be … helpful.” Her tone was briefly strained. “They are … not nice things.”
“I imagine so.” You looked at her face. “Well, maybe not. Can you move?”
“Yes.” On the screen, the vast pillars - the size of mountain ranges - rumbled forward, bringing the Beast forward. The hull you were familiar with had grown, mutated - gleamed with golden eyes, and far too many of them. You wonder what that said about Hera, or her self-image.
“Is it difficult to move?”
“It’s more difficult not to. The moment you settle, the more you want to settle.” She chuckled humorlessly. “Just have to outrun the bad thoughts.”
“I see. How is that going?”
“Like sprinting through streets of treacle built on a planet of spun sugar.”
“Sounds … oddly delicious?”

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Order the crew to express any genuine, nice things they have to say about the ship/Hera.

Ask Hera if she has lost weight, and let her know that we like what she has done with her hair.

Let her know she's won the ship's lottery for a free week at the spa!

[Insert thing stereotypically enjoyed by women here.]

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

paragon1 posted:

Order the crew to express any genuine, nice things they have to say about the ship/Hera.

Ask Hera if she has lost weight, and let her know that we like what she has done with her hair.

Let her know she's won the ship's lottery for a free week at the spa!

[Insert thing stereotypically enjoyed by women here.]

This. We need to all be on Team Happy Thoughts right now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, doubling down on plan Give Hera a hug and a thanks. Being attacked by the living embodiments of depression at our request is a pretty big burden.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Hexenritter posted:

This. We need to all be on Team Happy Thoughts right now.

WELCOME, MY DUDES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Wasn't Hera an artist? Tell her how nice the hull looks, what an inventive use of the Golden ratio.