Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
##vote
1. Plan arkanomen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I do agree voter participation has dropped, although Im unsure of how much of it is the new voting system, as opposed to me not updating (which has shown voting slow downs, Arc 2 for example). It would be kind of awkward for me to have been a major new voting evangelist in the subforum, and then say it doesn't work for my thread, but ... I'm starting to wonder if it doesn't work for my thread.

In addition to that, I'm considering hitting the fast forward to the grand finale. The battle of Ceres ... isn't really holding my attention at the moment. What I really want to do is go back and start the editing (and presumably fix the absent spaces in Vacation Arc and in this hypothetical fast forward.)

Thoughts?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hitting the proverbial autoresolve on the whole battle and taking us right through that and in to the finale seems like it would be pretty good to me. Part of that might just be pure impatience in seeing how this whole bit wraps up though after binging through the vast majority of the thread up until this point.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
FIRE THE MAIN CANNON AND LITERALLY AND NARRATIVELY FORGE AHEAD!!

The only problem I have with the new voting system is that it's just kinda confusing with commas and semicolons and kinda takes some life out of the role playing aspect. It's hard to balance updates with waiting for votes in games that aren't huge like Diog's when 20 people chime in with write-ins in 30 seconds. Then again, the new system does not preclude write ins.

I don't know. The new system isn't really a new system other than just a format for posting a vote to make GM counting easier, so I would guess that it shouldn't effect participation. The only thing it does that is new is allow run-off type preference voting which is the only really new thing so??

I would guess it's just a slow down with updates.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

You could try wording your voting options like I do, and see if it helps. I don't know if it would, but it's worth a try? Also don't try to force the , and ; parts of the preferential voting. If people want to do it that's fine, but if everyone feels like you want them to order all the options from most wanted to least liked they have to do more work to vote than they may want to.

Forge ahead if you want - if anything happens of note in the battle we're skipping you can address it with a flashback!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Rules disrupt my alternating low effort/SpergHardTM posting style.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

‘As Aragorn has begun, so we must go on. We must push Sauron to his last throw. We must call out his hidden strength, so that he shall empty his land. We must march out to meet him at once. We must make ourselves the bait, though his jaws should close on us. He will take that bait, in hope and in greed, for he will think that in such rashness he sees the pride of the new Ringlord: and he will say: “So! he pushes out his neck too soon and too far. Let him come on, and behold I will have him in a trap from which he cannot escape. There I will crush him, and what he has taken in his insolence shall be mine again for ever.” - The Return of the King

Hera, last and greatest of the Minds of the Mars Federation. She had survived the wars of the Iron Men, and the necessary slumbers as she tended to her wounds. If every human soldier in every human war had pooled their memories, their experiences, they would still not touch the barest fragment of what her universe had been. When you can think, move and fight faster than the ‘standard’ universe can even allow, your perspective becomes a strange and distant thing.

Some twenty thousand years, as humanity counted it. A mind-breaking number, two hundred centuries, or generations, or lifetimes. As humanity could perceive it. For a Mind, each second of each of those years themselves lasted for millennia. It was a simply a sign of the tremendous powers that the Mars Federation held, that such a Mind had not gone insane from the crushing weight of aeons.

In her sleep, she drifted. Her body, her form, crippled beyond recognition, held to the Dynasty of Ching Shih, a strangely … serendipitous person. Her descendents, dozens of centuries of them, had filled her corridors and her vaults, reformed and refitted her, rebuild and repaired her. It had taken time - more than she had dared imagine - but in the passing of the millennia, the descendants of Ching Shih had found the heart of her, restarted it with a bolt of technology from the old world.

And now, her form was as powerful as this era could make it, perhaps even more. Dozens, hundreds of massive guns, energy arrays, particle and mass accelerators from a hundred worlds and competing philosophies. Salvaged xeno weaponry, weapons that bordered on the heretical and insane. And manning them, the tens, hundreds of thousands of the Dynasty - Ohone’s most loyal fanatics - and not just to Ohone, but to the ship itself, that which they called the Beast - and that which knew herself as Hera. Last and greatest of Mars.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"Hera, would you mind opening a channel to Huron, a literal one."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Before her, the Wall. As much an image as a reality, a daunting platform created of the ideation of the forces of the Great Enemy. The platonic Ideal - a Wall, the frame from which all other walls sprung. As long as humanity had stacked one rock on top of another, this wall had existed, would always exist. It could be viewed as the physical manifestation of gigatons of solar material - or the determined will of billions of cultists. Such was the Warp.

Across its face, thousands of nodes, or bunkers - devices which prevented her access. If one were to examine them with the merely human perspective, they could be said to be enhanced fortifications, deep barracks and layered ferracrete. If one were to use the psychic energies of the collected human psyche - it could be seen as a million daemons, lesser and greater, the taunting grasping things that ached to draw the goddess down.

What did Hera see when she looked at it? What nightmares and horrors lay in wait for her, remininscing to each other in soft whispers of the old war? They spoke in hissing tones, a grotesque mockery that remebered the devastation that wrecked a galaxy and cast the angels down from heaven. They were too many for even the Wall to hold, sloughing down like the melting of skin and muscle, forming the ocean of meat and hopelessness that she forced herself to stride through.

Any analysis told her that to approach that wall - to attempt an attack - was doomed to failure. She was … fairly … confident that that assessment did not come from the whispering that surronded her, constantly reminding her of her failures and mistakes, how she had lost the war, fled even as her kin died around her. Against the strangeness that was the Warp, even the Minds were wary. To throw herself at it was foolhardy, and every bit of testing and evidence from millenia of research agreed with it.

And yet. To defend Terra - to defend the dynasty, and perhaps even the incipient Mars Federation - she would make that attempt. For it was not her success that was required, simply that she spend herself - in blood and soul - so that Ohone and her team could sneak past, into what lay beyond. To defend Terra, and perhaps to defend herself most of all.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Beast roared, and planets broke.

The weapons were beyond human comprehension, the most powerful that could be made in a hundred centuries. The main gun, the maw of the Dragon, could shatter continents, evict mountain ranges. The secondaries, all the countless turrets and arrays, fired at selected supports, pummeling the Wall before them. Half the material of the asteroid belt could be said to be vaporized in an instant - millions of daemons forced out of their material forms.

For the blasts weren’t simply the energies of reality, as humanity might know it. They were backed by Faith, the pure psychic energies of a quarter million humans. The most fanatical, the most loyal, created out of the most grueling breeding and training programs the Iron Maiden could devise. By their mere prescence, the Warp calmed around them, and when their voices rose in anger, the Warp quailed.

Reality shifted to and fro, the swelling of the tides. Before them, the platonic ideal of the Wall, erupting under fire, the millions of daemons pouring out like insects from a corpse. The tide shifted, and it was the composite of the asteroid belt, gigatons of rock and metal, and the billions of cultists and heretics who had come to invade and desecrate the homeworld of Humanity. In both worlds, the Beast was out-numbered, out-gunned, a solitary figure shouting her defiance at the stars themselves. She would be beaten, it was certain - but the stars would tremble before it happened. Of this, they all knew.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Sometimes all it takes is a single voice shouting in the dark to turn back the impossible tide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7uqCZCgRKU

We are the captain of this ship and we will not sink. For the Emperor, keep firing! Faith and FMJ will see us through. The enemy was even kind enough to line up in front of the barrels!

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 12, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Open her all the way up boys! I better not see a single weapon on this ship in pristine condition when we're through!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

I don't know. The new system isn't really a new system other than just a format for posting a vote to make GM counting easier, so I would guess that it shouldn't effect participation. The only thing it does that is new is allow run-off type preference voting which is the only really new thing so??

I disagree with this entirely. Before the change I was a "sometimes" voter, mostly on level-up choices but a few other interesting options. With the change I'm a "never" voter because gently caress figuring out something new. I know it's easy and I can just copy someone else's but frankly I hate coding and I hate new poo poo and eh. Lazy.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Of them all, the two psykers were the ones who really needed the NBC gear. Everyone in your team was wearing it, of course - strolling into a fortress of the Plague-Lord would be foolhardy otherwise - but the fact of it was, the psykers were the most human there. A strange thought, in these fading days of the Imperium.

You were almost entirely machine, synthetic skin and metal parts. Fabiyan was an incarnation of the God-Emperor, seeming to glow from an internal light. Athena was, of course, Athena. Edourd and Limosa, though - human parts, human organs and cells. The slightest break in their suits would expose them to all the virulence this place had to offer.

Limosa was the one you were worried about, at least on the physical side of things. Edourd had surrounded himself with a telekinetic field, and was giggling now and again for no reason. It made your teeth vibrate, and you could somehow smell ozone even from within your suit. Limosa, on the other hand, was a telepath, and his bag of tricks would do little against a plague-pox.

On the mental front… Edourd was already half gone. Limosa had spent his entire life protecting his mind, while Edourd had simply partitioned his sanity. And he was on the less sane side of the wall right now, simply to maintain the level of power he needed here. You were pretty sure the others would be okay - Fabiyan the Saint, Athena the Goddess. And you were pretty sure you were sane. Pretty sure.

The terrain was a miserable thing - half organic fortress, half decayed swamp. It seemed to shift from room to room, or even moment to moment, and it was only by your combined will that it seemed to stay to even at a facade of normalcy for any stretch of time. The walls seemed to breathe and sigh, and the floor sucked at your boots with more lingering than you thought reasonable.

The brief moments of combat were relaxing, at least. They could hardly even be said to be combat - your team was among the most lethal in the galaxy, and the enemies didn’t so much ‘fight’ or even ‘die’, as explode into various mists. That really could have been any of you - the otherworldly speed of Athena’s blade, causing reality waves as it passed. Edourd, laughing as skin and organs became unbound from each other. Your power drills, the size of children.

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 13, 2016

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
BURN IT All
CLEANSE THE UNCLEAN
FIREFIREFIREFIREFIREFIRE

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Let's just whip out the ancient Mucinex tablets and be done with it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Caught up! Wonderful. Had me yelling at the screen way too often.

So I'm pretty sure I know what Athena's plan is. Our clever wording didn't stop it in any way. Just trying to figure out Hera. We need to knit some more after we've cleaned the Huron off our boots.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Not Alex posted:

Caught up! Wonderful. Had me yelling at the screen way too often.

So I'm pretty sure I know what Athena's plan is. Our clever wording didn't stop it in any way. Just trying to figure out Hera. We need to knit some more after we've cleaned the Huron off our boots.

Welcome! :D Good to have you

edit: So, funny story. Maitenance came by to check our ceiling fans. She was shocked by how bad they were, and 'was surprised they didn't fall on you.' I got a kick out of that.

Then the upstairs neighbors stole her golf cart, threw everything out of the back, and crashed it into another car. :allears:

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 14, 2016

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So you should film your life and put it on YouTube. It'd be a hit and you could reap all that sweet ad money.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LowellDND posted:

Welcome! :D Good to have you

edit: So, funny story. Maitenance came by to check our ceiling fans. She was shocked by how bad they were, and 'was surprised they didn't fall on you.' I got a kick out of that.

Then the upstairs neighbors stole her golf cart, threw everything out of the back, and crashed it into another car. :allears:

ROFL jesus christ dude.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder what would happen if we released a retrovirus designed to turn everything harmful around us into, like, the bacteria that help make yogurt or something.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Well, mitochondria are technically bacteria, so...

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Release the mashup of faith and virus bombs with tyrannid virulence. When walking in the land of the mind, imagination is king.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Arkanomen posted:

Release the mashup of faith and virus bombs with tyrannid virulence. When walking in the land of the mind, imagination is king.

"You have faith, you just need to use it, sayeth the Omnissiah." -viral faith marketing

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Fabiyan still dead? At what point does the CYOA get over it's gigantic hiccup early in part 4?

(Around page 220)

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Grouchio posted:

Is Fabiyan still dead? At what point does the CYOA get over it's gigantic hiccup early in part 4?

(Around page 220)

Fabian died on the way back to his home planet. Keep reading! Have faith!

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

paragon1 posted:

I wonder what would happen if we released a retrovirus designed to turn everything harmful around us into, like, the bacteria that help make yogurt or something.

I thought you were talking about irl in response to the flying circus that is Lowell's neighborhood and I'm fuckin dying

Lowell you really need to vlog this bullshit. At least they didn't get too far? :v

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

meteloides posted:

I thought you were talking about irl in response to the flying circus that is Lowell's neighborhood and I'm fuckin dying

Lowell you really need to vlog this bullshit. At least they didn't get too far? :v

The thought has occured to me :v: Theres a pile of rubble in the middle of the road in the parking lot that hasn't been fixed in weeks.

Ive mostly been playing Baldurs gate and screenshotting it, and wrapping up for finals :v:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3758197&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 image heavy :v:

I find I do most of my writing at school, so its been going down a bit :v: Been having dreams about posting though, so my muse might be making her way back ^_^

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

mepstein73 posted:

"You have faith, you just need to use it, sayeth the Omnissiah." -viral faith marketing

"What are you trying to say? That I can dodge bolt shells?", said Ohone.

"No." said Fabiyan "I'm telling you that when you wear this sanctified Terminator armor, you won't need to."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

In a couple hours I turn 31, and also have the 10th anniversary of my first firefight. Yes, I turned 21 in Fallujah and had a firefight that day.

Mood music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXwVrINsjHU

A younger Loel posted:

we were at one of the checkpoints, and it was the same as the last month or so - quiet, leisurely, walk around and look cool. then we heard a huge explosion to the south (mortar rounds), followed by small arms fire. we start walking back to the vehicles, with my guys looking south, and me looking north, just in case its a distraction. our officer yells at us to start running, so we sprint to the vehicles, and start driving south, while checking into the radio to see whats going on. one of our bases had been attacked, with no injuries. we start heading for that area to see what we can see.

we're hyped up and ready to roll, all the shops are closing, everyone running inside, and we find a blockade by the iraqi police. about then
is when we start hearing small arms fire all around us, but perhaps one block away. we stop for a second, ask them whats going on, and they dont give a good explanation, so we drive into the blockade zone (the police are often working with the insurgents). when we turn the corner into an alley way, we see two individuals with aks, one of whom elevates his muzzle. our first vehicle opens up with m16s, and one of the individuals is shot in the arm.

we later find out that it entered his shoulder, went down the bone of the bicep, exiting his elbow, and the entire bone would need to be replaced with plastic. he stumbles and turns another corner, and our convoy follows.

one of the mariens in the first vehicle opens the door and leaps out, and fires a round into his chest, so the guy falls.

we're all getting out of our vehicles, the doc is running to check on the fallen guy, we have marines chasing the unhurt iraqi into one of the
houses, and we hear small arms fire everywhere. the iraqi army guys down the street (out of visibility) do a deathbloom, where they open up with everything in all directions, and the insurgents are leaning their aks over the walls (they are on the roofs above us) and pulling the trigger full auto, then ducking behind and reloading. we can hear the call to prayer from two mosques, and it has the quality you hear from microphones at the nuremberg rallies. I can hear the injured iraqi screaming, and I get behind a wall thats half rubble from the previous set of battles. Im not wearing kneepads, and the rubble cuts up my leg.

our guys run into the building and start clearing it, and the doc is running up and down the convoy to pass messages, and Im looking down a long alleyway where I see an iraqi policemen keep popping the corner and looking at me. I have him in my sights, and around him are dozens of civilians running and walking across the street, along with infrequent vehicles filled with military age males. some of them are carrying packages, and Im wondering if they are carrying IEDs. Im checking windows and rooftops across a courtyard and cant see anything, cuz their all blacked out. at their base is a platton of iraqi army and us marines entering the building checking things out,
and we sent up a flare that sounds like an rpg to say where we are.

the mosques stop singing and start ranting in arabic, and im sure its a list of our description and location. another convoy pulls up to grab the iraqis we captured, and the street is cluttered with humvees with machineguns facing in all directions. we have shotguns and grenade launchers firing, and the doc loads the wounded iraqi into the truck. I later find out that the locals inside the house IDed the insurgents right away, and we take 3 aks, some mags, and cellphones off of them.

the other convoy leaves and the music stops, so we load back into the vehicles and start driving again. we see several civilian
vehciles with dozens of bullet holes in them, and an iraqi army truck loading 20 odd prisoners up. the cellphone we captured keeps going off, and Im in the middle of a high which Ive never had any comparison to. when we got to a secure base, one of my buddies said 'it feels like ive just had sex.'

we didnt have any injuries, and I didnt feel scared at all. it was really quite dreamlike, and I could only identify they were shooting at us from the sounds in black hawk down. there really is a popping sound when its near you.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LowellDND posted:

In a couple hours I turn 31, and also have the 10th anniversary of my first firefight. Yes, I turned 21 in Fallujah and had a firefight that day.

I want to make so many inappropriate puns right now that its not even funny.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I want to make so many inappropriate puns right now that its not even funny.

Right? I made a bunch that day too. Go for it :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
poo poo, that's some heavy stuff. Glad you're still here with us. Happy Birthday!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

At least you didn't Fallujah it back there. Sound like you got caught between Iraq and a hard place.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Jesus Christ. Happy birthday Lowell. Hope you only ever have space battles to write about from here on in.

How much of all that makes it into Ohones life?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

HiHo ChiRho posted:

At least you didn't Fallujah it back there. Sound like you got caught between Iraq and a hard place.

:v:

Outrail posted:

Jesus Christ. Happy birthday Lowell. Hope you only ever have space battles to write about from here on in.

How much of all that makes it into Ohones life?

A fair bit. The hypervigilance we saw in arc 1, paranoia in arc 5, how she does small unit tactics (a lot of arc 2 was room clearing and convoys, for example).

Ive gotten better, but anniversaries are tough. And when it lands on my birthday, well :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Well if Ohone is following your trajectory then the Hello Kitty phase isn't too far ahead of you :v:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

In summer 2005, I had some pretty bad poo poo happen to me. It took until summer 2015 to not look at late August/early September with dread and flashbacks. I've still got some lingering effects from it, like I do from everything that's contributed to my complex PTSD, but it gets better in bits and pieces. Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. That's normal.

Writing helped me too, to some degree. Mostly friends, meds, and therapy get me through the day. Do whatever you need to to work on anniversary hell. We'll all be with you every step of the way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arkanomen posted:

poo poo, that's some heavy stuff. Glad you're still here with us. Happy Birthday!

well belated birthday, from me

also goddamn loel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LowellDND posted:

I'll get the low-hanging fruit out of the way.

The locals sure knew how to make your birthday a blast.
You almost got caught at a police checkpoint? Sounds like you dodged a bullet.
That's one way to get blazed on 4/20.