Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

hayden. posted:

The lesson of this thread is the learn to negotiate a salary properly. If they tell you their range is 36k to 42k, their actual range bottoms out at around 40k and they're hoping you're stupid enough to accept something around 40k. The real range probably around 40k to 50k. I recently started a job making 29% over what the absolute top end of their salary range was. It's all bullshit.

At no point was a salary negotiated here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I only read the OP's post and a few post under that but my suggestion is don't do it. I moved from an awesome city to a literal shithole of a city for a job and it's one of the worst decisions I've ever made. The job itself isn't terrible, but I know I'm terribly underpaid and I accepted it knowing it's a temporary thing to use as a stepping stone. But jesus christ this city sucks. Like I'm unhappy from the minute I wake up to the minute I fall asleep at night at the thought of me living here. And this city isn't a 10000 village of a town. I have an extremely hard time connecting with people here because they're so god drat conservative (in general) and I will quit my job at my 1 year mark (so I don't have to forfeit my relocation bonus) and move back elsewhere regardless of whether or not I've found another job. Living here is making me absolutely miserable and extremely bad and detrimental to my mental health. If I had to do it again I'd have turned down the job and stayed unemployed for a bit longer while applying to jobs from morning to evening.

Honestly if your parents can support you and you don't mind working part time to get cash while you find a better job in a less lovely city then just do that.

e: I get that having income is a Good Thing and what functional adults need, but I don't think most people realize that the location/city absolutely plays a huge part in being happy and being happy is a Better Thing in my opinion.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 25, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What's that saying? If you go out in the morning and you meet an rear end in a top hat, you met an rear end in a top hat. If you go out and all day all you meet is assholes, you're the rear end in a top hat.

That's kind of how I feel about people who let their environment make them miserable sun up to sun down.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What's that saying? If you go out in the morning and you meet an rear end in a top hat, you met an rear end in a top hat. If you go out and all day all you meet is assholes, you're the rear end in a top hat.

That's kind of how I feel about people who let their environment make them miserable sun up to sun down.

Who said anything about assholes? I don't like it here, period. Don't be to quick to assume the reasons.

e: I had a longer post explaining myself but I don't really need to.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 25, 2014

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Hope the OP is liking his job... Are you still going to interview for those other positions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who said anything about assholes? I don't like it here, period. Don't be to quick to assume the reasons.

e: I had a longer post explaining myself but I don't really need to.

I've lived plenty of places I don't like but somehow that didn't prevent me from finding things that I liked while living there. If you don't like *everything* about a place to the point where you are unhappy every waking minute, the problem is you.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: I get that having income is a Good Thing and what functional adults need, but I don't think most people realize that the location/city absolutely plays a huge part in being happy and being happy is a Better Thing in my opinion.

Learning to accept your environment is a good skill to gain. I recommend trying that rather than running away.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Veskit posted:

Learning to accept your environment is a good skill to gain. I recommend trying that rather than running away.

People should be happy with boring, no-future towns instead of places that matter. Is that the lesson this thread is trying to teach everyone?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Shipon posted:

People should be happy with boring, no-future towns instead of places that matter. Is that the lesson this thread is trying to teach everyone?

There's a fundamental difference between finding happiness in what you do and finding satisfaction in what you are doing. Although some things will not make you happy, they can however help you in being more satisfied with your life. Most BFC arguments boil down to changing perspective from seeking happiness in what you do to being satisfied with your positive decisions.

If you're unhappy because you made a bad decision and it is causing you to be unsatisfied, then it is wildly different than making a good decision for you and your future, and being satisfied in the positive decision you made.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

There is also a big difference between the OP commuting an hour to some backwoods town for a year, and someone moving across the country to live in one.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Shipon posted:

Depends on the situation.

If the OP was so against the idea of moving to that town, then he should never have applied for a job there. But he did, and he took it, and it was probably the right choice for him. He's only an hour away from home, so coming home on weekends isn't a huge deal. He could even stay in his hometown and commute, which wouldn't be fun, but is doable.

My partner applied for a job in Kearney, NE. We visited a couple of times to see if both he and I would like it there. He didn't get the job, but, truthfully, I think we would have...it has the same level of amenities of a decent Denver suburb, it's a college town, has nice bars and restaurants and shopping, costs 1/2 as much to live there, and isn't so far from Denver we couldn't make the occasional trip.

However, If it had been any other similarly sized town in NE, such as North Platte (creepy!) or Columbus (highest rate of binge drinking in the nation!), I probably would have said "lets not." No job or reduction in cost of living is worth that potential level of misery.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shipon posted:

If you've chosen to live in a boring, no-future town, and you would like to leave, work like hell and expend all your energy on getting the gently caress out. While you are figuring out how to get the hell out, figure out how to mitigate the shittiness of your current situation. If you are seriously actively unhappy every waking minute of the day, it's time to work on mitigation strategies. Nowhere is that bad*

*Except the oil fields in ND, MO and Alberta

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
I work at a very large MPO in a city with a high cost of living and a Master's degree in Urban Planning with a GIS emphasis basically qualifies you for an intern position or 38-45k a year. Now if someone is familiar with Python (arcpy or some other equivalent) or database applications that is a different story. Planning is kind of a lovely field and GIS is a programming/database field nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
OP, I'm just going to leave a personal anecdote here for you:

I got a bachelors degree in Eastern European/Soviet history. Sounds like a total loser of a field, right? Well, financially, it was. I got my degree and decided to try for a Masters. I got a year into my MA and decided that grad school sucked balls, and I quit to join a totally unrelated field.

I went to work at a company that does business process management software solutions. It paid absolute rear end. I made $33,000 a year and was forced to live in one of the most expensive suburbs outside of Atlanta. My rent was almost half of my monthly salary and there was nothing I could do about it because of the way the traffic patterns worked. I had to leave at a certain time, I blew ALL of my money I had saved on the four hour move to Atlanta, and I had no help from anyone to do it. I was absolutely god-awful at the job and utterly miserable and dreaded going to work every day. What did I do? I loving sucked it up because a degree in history is less than useless and I needed something I could leverage to get a better position. The tech field is very lucrative, but I had no paper credentials for it. I only had practical work experience and I needed to leverage the poo poo out of it.

I stayed at that terrible place for eight months, and I used the experience I gained there to get a job at a different company, in a different suburb of Atlanta, doing Quality Assurance testing. I became a QA Engineer. The experience I got from my lovely job allowed me to get a job at a company I absolute love to work for. We have a great time, we joke around every day, and it's incredibly laid back and relaxing. I've been recognized publicly within the company for work excellence. The best part? Taking this job got me a $12,000 raise right off the bat. I went from $33,000 to $45,000 overnight.

The best part of this whole story? I'm now in the final round of interviews with a massive tech giant in Seattle. They came to me with the position, and if I get it, I will nearly double my salary to $80,000 and move across the country to take it. Why did they come to me? Because I have over a year of relevant experience with self taught skills that companies value. I don't have a fancy MA like you do, but if I get this job (and I most likely will, I'm being flown out for the final interview and HR paperwork, etc next week) then I will have basically doubled my salary with less than two years between being in school and the present time.

So, what you should take away from this is: stop being a pissy baby and TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET. There's always time later for skill gains and experience but you will never get to where you want to be unless you spend time paying your dues and busting your rear end. I came from one of those backwoods hick towns that you mentioned, also in the South, and your arrogance is astounding. Just because people are poor does not mean they still aren't great people. Everyone I grew up with was poor (as was my family), and they're the most honest, hardworking, reliable friends I've ever had in my life. They're the kind of people that will help you move for a "Thank you" and a shared case of beer after the day is over. They'll come over and help do farmwork or yardwork just because they're your neighbors and it's the right thing to do. Get off your high horse and learn to appreciate what people have to offer as opposed to just what you see.

• Locked thread