Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Night Terrors definitely isn't a bad story. It uses the annoying nursery rhyme thing that Moffat does a little too much, but at least it was fitting that time. It's about the Doctor visiting a scared adopted boy to chase the monsters out of his closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2737867/Doctor-Who-criticised-scene-characters-tear-hair-complaints-sufferers-rare-disorder.html

quote:

Doctor Who has come under fire after a scene featuring stars Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman pulling out their hair sparked complaints from sufferers of a rare disorder.

The BBC sci-fi show has been branded it 'insensitive' following a scene which left sufferers of trichotillomania 'upset' and 'uncomfortable'.
Tough spot for the Daily Mail - they'd normally ridicule such a bizarre complaint but they must slam the BBC.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

quote:

A BBC spokeswoman said: 'We will not be commenting on this'.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

quote:

The BBC sci-fi show has been branded it 'insensitive'

quote:

has been branded it

Yeah. Sounds like the Daily Mail. Aren't they basically your Fox News?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I still get waves of self-pride when I remember turning away a Daily Mail reporter who was pestering me for an interview at the Deep Breath premier.

Lindalee Rose is a much more reliable news outlet, anyway.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah. Sounds like the Daily Mail. Aren't they basically your Fox News?

They're sort of like a right-wing version of Fox News.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

Night Terrors definitely isn't a bad story. It uses the annoying nursery rhyme thing that Moffat does a little too much, but at least it was fitting that time. It's about the Doctor visiting a scared adopted boy to chase the monsters out of his closet.

I liked it too. Wasnt an all time favourite or anything, but I remember the doll-things being reasonably creepy (And one of my personal feelings about the show is that it should occasionally go out of its way to scare children at least a bit, behind the couch being traditional who-watching position), and I liked the doctor responding to a scared child (because it should also reassure them, and because I think its a good character beat, just like it was in the beast below).

I'd put it on a par with the minotaur in the motel episode (the episode title escapes me) as a solid episode of Who, although not particular favourites, as evidenced by the fact I did have to google "Doctor Who peg dolls" to find out the name of the episode for my previous post.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I noticed the similarity, but it seemed like typical set re-use to me. The prop department obviously made at least an attempt to make it look different.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

I noticed the similarity, but it seemed like typical set re-use to me. The prop department obviously made at least an attempt to make it look different.

Location re-use, specifically. It's a real garden.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Metal Loaf posted:

They're sort of like a right-wing version of Fox News.
I'm confused. Fox News is incredibly right-wing.

Gaz-L posted:

Location re-use, specifically. It's a real garden.
Oh, I have no doubt it's just the garden they know they can rent in Cardiff. It's just that they not only re-used the location, they also re-used the exact same shot. So if they're not meant to be related, that's just incredibly lazy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Yuuuuup.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Today's political update has been brought to you by a guy who dresses up like elderly British men for fun.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Irish Joe posted:

Today's political update has been brought to you by a guy who dresses up like elderly British men for fun.

Okay, I laughed at this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Irish Joe posted:

It's worth it for all the free tea and cakes :geti

Oh you mean DoctorWhat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

:thejoke:

No, more seriously, I'm completely inured to terrible politicians on the left and right because I live in Northern Ireland, but that's neither here nor there.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Can I just say I'm now imagining Question Time on Gallifrey with President Romana?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

:golfclap:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh look at you. Can I expect this sort of low-effort drive-by potshot every Friday just before 4:30 EST?

Because that'd be a splendid thing to look forward to - like Christmas every week! Irish Joe in an Exciting Adventure on the Forums!

I'll set my TiVo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LividLiquid posted:

Oh, I have no doubt it's just the garden they know they can rent in Cardiff. It's just that they not only re-used the location, they also re-used the exact same shot. So if they're not meant to be related, that's just incredibly lazy.

I think they did the same with the sets in "The End of the World", "Cold Blood, and "Let's Kill Hitler". The main chamber in "End" looks very similar to the Siluarian meeting chamber, and the restaurant(?) in "Let's".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

And Skaro sure looked a lot like Gallifrey, which looked a lot like a quarry!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

I still get waves of self-pride when I remember turning away a Daily Mail reporter who was pestering me for an interview at the Deep Breath premier.

Your coat's great and all that, but this is easily my favourite thing you did there. Kudos.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

After The War posted:

I wish I could be like you and forget the filler sequences in The Armageddon Factor. The only moment I've ever enjoyed the cast being shrunken was in Planet of Giants when Hartnell realized he could start fires in a whole new way. :flame: :3:.

On the other hand...

Someone's forgetting the first cliffhanger in Carnival of Monsters...

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

LividLiquid posted:

The mail literally supported hitler

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Little_wh0re posted:

Don't knock Hitler. He was the guy who killed Hitler after all.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Tonight I've been watching some classic who eps for the first time. 4 to doomsday, kinda and earthshock.

Man Adric is a jerk. But the cyber commander cracked me up every time he spoke. "MORE POWAH"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Little_wh0re posted:

That was before Rory punched the editor in the face, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We had Into the Doctor in series 6.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

We had Into the Doctor in series 6.

Huh. So we did.

Anyway, does anyone have a GIF of the Sixth Doctor's walk-cycle from Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror? Like in Chokes McGee's old av, but animated? There was a "keep on trucking" vibe about it but I don't have the time or energy to dig through like four threads of history.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheChad posted:

daleks are fuckin awesome and i will never be tired of them

I would also like to express my fondness for this particular recurring villain.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm not sure if my favorite Who villain is the showrunners, the writers, or the fans.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Jsor posted:

I'm not sure if my favorite Who villain is the showrunners, the writers, or the fans.

It's the BBC, duh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well, the most hated Doctor Who villain is Michael Grade.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

My favorite Who villain is Shakespeare.

My favorite companion is Davros.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

My favorite Who villain is Shakespeare.

That's good!

quote:

My favorite companion is Davros.

That's bad.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm not sure how any episode can be called the most-hated New Who story when Fear Her exists.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Fear Her really isn't poo poo until the Olympics stuff starts.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jet Jaguar posted:

I'm not sure how any episode can be called the most-hated New Who story when Fear Her exists.

Just to prove once again the truth that there is no such thing as a consensus opinion on any Doctor Who episode, I think that Fear Her is a perfectly unremarkable, forgettable and standard story. It's just that the last few minutes with the Olympic Torch are SO bad that they color all other reactions to it. That ending is loving atrocious. It's utter poo poo and even taking the message it puts out at face value does nothing to justify how terrible it is.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

You're right, up until the big THE DOCTOR IS LOVE reveal it's merely mediocre. But the sheer awfulness of it all makes me wonder if somebody on set thought, "You know, this seems really silly, do we want to take five minutes and rethink this?" or if they just were slammed for time and broke for lunch.

Has a lot in common with the episode before it, where the wretched ending undoes everything else. I liked it until the whole "save a woman into a nightmare of being a paving slab and it's a good thing" ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still like Night Terrors, although I probably wouldn't pick it to watch out of a lineup. It knows what it wants to do, and does it. It also manages to be one of the scariest 'converting enemies' because it actually gets a companion, and even if Amy's back to normal by the end that's still a strong way to raise the stakes.

• Locked thread