Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Pyrotoad posted:

One of my dormmates had never used a grill that wasn't portable before. He smoked out the kitchen by leaving a single sausage in the grill with the door shut until smoke started escaping. That was also when we discovered that that handle of the fire extinguisher wasn't screwed on tight enough to keep it attached to anything and somebody had nicked the fire blanket. Good times!

At least you still thought to go for the extinguisher. So far knife in the toaster has been my favorite anecdote. I thought the creators were just being really inconsistent with Hollyhock's character not knowing something I figured 10 year olds have figured out but I have been shown how wrong I was.

SWEET

Andenalli fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Was there ever a doubt?

It certainly felt inevitable, but I really have no idea where they're gonna go with it because it honestly felt like season four wrapped up Bojack's story so well. Like, Princess Carolyn and Diane definitely have open stories right now, but it doesn't feel like there's any jumping off point for the titular character without either reducing him to Toddish superfluousness or introducing a completely out of left field diabolus ex machina to reset his issues.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TenCentFang posted:

It certainly felt inevitable, but I really have no idea where they're gonna go with it because it honestly felt like season four wrapped up Bojack's story so well. Like, Princess Carolyn and Diane definitely have open stories right now, but it doesn't feel like there's any jumping off point for the titular character without either reducing him to Toddish superfluousness or introducing a completely out of left field diabolus ex machina to reset his issues.

You think he's all fixed and better and a-okay now?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

prefect posted:

Well now he knows what he needs to do. This season was pretty devoid of Bojack asking deep personal questions and it was more about watching just be like kind of a cool guy instead of a total loving jag off the entire time.

He's playing games with his family and trying to cut out bad habits genuinely and making real amends. I think the next part is finding a place to forgive his mom, and this basically free himself to forgive himself for being such a garbage person for so long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think if PB and Diane split up the very obvious Bojack throughline for season 5 would be if he and Diane can or should even try to be a couple. Diane is obviously the person Bojack has the deepest connection to and maybe his only chance at a real relationship instead of a series of flings, but there are also very obvious reasons them getting together might be a terrible idea. Bojack stopped openly pining for her and trying to sabotage her relationship with Mr. Peanutbutter at the end of season 1, but I don't think he ever stopped loving her.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

His life isn't automatically perfect, but I think he's as good as one in his situation can get. What else is left? What plot hook does he have dangling in front of him the way he has the last two seasons? Even season one didn't end on this good a note for him.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the next part is finding a place to forgive his mom, and this basically free himself to forgive himself for being such a garbage person for so long.

That was his thing this season, though. He didn't quite fulfil those goals 100%, but I can't imagine such a driving force sustaining itself on the scraps, especially when the real dire drama, Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter's relationship and to a lesser extent PC's issues, are completely unrelated to him except as someone who they can lean on a bit.

Lurdiak posted:

I think if PB and Diane split up the very obvious Bojack throughline for season 5 would be if he and Diane can or should even try to be a couple. Diane is obviously the person Bojack has the deepest connection to and maybe his only chance at a real relationship instead of a series of flings, but there are also very obvious reasons them getting together might be a terrible idea. Bojack stopped openly pining for her and trying to sabotage her relationship with Mr. Peanutbutter at the end of season 1, but I don't think he ever stopped loving her.

Possibly. As others have noted, it was great he didn't ever try to sleep with her during the underground episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The worst thing I never did was cook rice and didn't see a punch of grains had fallen under the burner so when I turned it on they started to burn.

But then I actually knew how to cook since I was a teenager.

A lot of people have expressed worry that they'll have a proper Diane and Bojack relationship, but I got the idea from this season that they've come to be actual friends.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
I can see that being a likely thing they explore but I don't think Diane has ever really been into Bojack romantically and this show likes to buck the trend so even if Diane and PB divorce, I doubt they will get together.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bojack and Diane getting together would be pretty terrible. Both for the characters and the show. The writers are fantastic, so they may be able to get the characters to a point where it would make sense, but they're pretty far apart so slamming them together just to create drama feels kinda cheap for this show.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I feel confident that whatever they decide to do it's gonna be amazing

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

BoJack will probably (at least temporarily) reconcile with Princess Carolyn, since he can't seem to not get people pregnant.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Zelder posted:

So I sez to the salesmen, I sez "you're a hill salesman? You'd probably know. What's the worst hill I could possibly die on?"

:golfclap:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it would be really cliché for Bojack and Diane to end up together. This show has been very good about subverting sitcom clichés.

I would like for season 5 to give Bojack some form of redemption and help his friends, end on a promising high note, and be the final season.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

oldskool posted:

BoJack will probably (at least temporarily) reconcile with Princess Carolyn, since he can't seem to not get people pregnant.

I think he already has reconciled with her as of their last exchange in the season.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
I think a Princess Carolyn/Bojack relationship would be even worse than a Diane/Bojack relationship because we have already seen the former explored completely. It met its natural end in the first episode...and then again a couple more times, including flashbacks.

It would be great to see PC get a family and Todd's foreshadowing probably means it won't be naturally and possibly not even while she has a boyfriend/husband. I could see her giving the company to Judah and finally moving on from being an agent. But in a show that acknowledges life is not something that can have a happily ever after (it's simply a collection of your choices and experiences) I would not be surprised if it ends without tying up all the lose ends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think a pretty big thing the show focuses on is that there's always the day after. Whether it's the day after your happy ending, or the day after your downer ending.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Andenalli posted:

finally moving on from being an agent.

She's generally really good as an agent. I think this show explores a lot of people that are really good at some job but hasn't really finished a plot arc on if it thinks people should or shouldn't do the thing they are best at.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

She's generally really good as an agent.

Is she, though?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Is she, though?

Depending on if the plot needs her to be or not, but mostly yes I think.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wonder if next season will get into Bojack's struggle for artistic fulfillment, how that was taken away from him when Secretariat got turned into something else, and parallel that with his father's same struggle.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The show never really dealt with the fallout of Bojack not properly getting Secretariat made. It just moved onto him trying to win the Oscar. But there's pretty clearly an actual actor in there. Bojack doesn't really do anything other than "be rich and famous," and he must know that. He wasn't even in the movie. So hopefully the fifth season will address that.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, if I had to guess the fifth season will be the last one. He'll be working on Philbert with PC and trying to make it into something Actually Good. Mr. PB hits rock-bottom and for once, Bojack is there for him instead of vice-versa. Diane crashes on Bojack's couch again for a while before moving on with her life. Todd and Bojack reconcile, and maybe PC adopts. The ending will be bittersweet and show the potential for Bojack to fall off the wagon again, but he's hopeful he won't.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wonder if next season will get into Bojack's struggle for artistic fulfillment, how that was taken away from him when Secretariat got turned into something else, and parallel that with his father's same struggle.

This is a great idea. I was left intrigued by his dad when he started genuinely crying and asking Beatrice to help Henrietta. It was a sudden flash of woah, there's a real person underneath the malevolence that you got for Beatrice throughout the season, and Bojack wanting to "correct" what happened with Secretariat would be a good direction for it to go in.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TenCentFang posted:

This is a great idea. I was left intrigued by his dad when he started genuinely crying and asking Beatrice to help Henrietta. It was a sudden flash of woah, there's a real person underneath the malevolence that you got for Beatrice throughout the season, and Bojack wanting to "correct" what happened with Secretariat would be a good direction for it to go in.

I don't think Beatrice did it for Butterscotch; she helped Henrietta because she wanted to save the girl from winding up like her. Butterscotch was just a prick.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

I don't think Beatrice did it for Butterscotch; she helped Henrietta because she wanted to save the girl from winding up like her. Butterscotch was just a prick.

We thought Beatrice was just a c-word before this season.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

True. I was not expecting to feel sympathy for her. It's like how there was a Rick and Morty episode where I felt Jerry wasn't complete human garbage. But I'll believe it when it happens. :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bojack's ultimate trial will be not sleeping with Diane when she gets desperate and it's clear that it would destroy Mr. Peanutbutter completely

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Bojack's ultimate trial will be not sleeping with Diane when she gets desperate and it's clear that it would destroy Mr. Peanutbutter completely

If Bojack turns down Diane's advances (which I could see him doing), it wouldn't be for Mr. Peanutbutter's sake.

prefect posted:

True. I was not expecting to feel sympathy for her. It's like how there was a Rick and Morty episode where I felt Jerry wasn't complete human garbage. But I'll believe it when it happens. :colbert:

I'm not saying we're ever going to see more than a glimpse of Butterscotch Horseman being anything but an rear end in a top hat, but I think a big point about Time's Arrow was that even the worst person is still a person in there somewhere, and there's a reason they're the way they are.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
People always say suicide ending, but how about a murder-suicide ending

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neal McBeal the Navy Seal shows up on the set of Secretariat 2: This Time it's Good and shoots the entire cast.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

I agree, but my point was the way Butterscotch ended up pleading with her after initially trying to shift blame to everyone else, that he actually seemed, if not altruistic, truly scared and lost.

Whiz Palace posted:

People always say suicide ending, but how about a murder-suicide ending

I was seriously worried last season was gonna end with Bojack getting a shotgun blast to the chest from Charlotte.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

Neal McBeal the Navy Seal shows up on the set of Secretariat 2: This Time it's Good and shoots the entire cast.

Thoughs and Prayers

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

:woop:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TenCentFang posted:

I was seriously worried last season was gonna end with Bojack getting a shotgun blast to the chest from Charlotte.

That never really got resolved, right? I expected Charlotte to come up at some point in season 4. I don't really care if it isn't mentioned again since "scared/angry person threatens violence, doesn't actually enact violence" is a pretty common event but I also wouldn't mind it being brought back.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

Lurdiak posted:

I still think that. A person who taunts their own kid because the local child molester doesn't even want them can't redeem themselves with a sad story arc.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

prefect posted:

Admittedly I only saw Season 1 but I always felt sorry for Jerry. It seems the only thing he did wrong was simply be boring. Why do we always mock the boring? :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AceOfFlames posted:

Admittedly I only saw Season 1 but I always felt sorry for Jerry. It seems the only thing he did wrong was simply be boring. Why do we always mock the boring? :(

Self-loathing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've been binging the new episodes. Then I got to episode 9. The end of that one is so bleak I need to take a break.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah it would be really cliché for Bojack and Diane to end up together. This show has been very good about subverting sitcom clichés.

I would like for season 5 to give Bojack some form of redemption and help his friends, end on a promising high note, and be the final season.

Season 4 showed that Diane is poison to BoJack. She is the yin to his yin. Christ, she even ruined his moment of watching the mustangs running.

I hope Diane learns something this season, she is the loving worst. (Diane and BoJack having an affair is plausible for this show though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like this idea. I'm worried that Philbert will end up being terrible and will tank his career. He was doing pretty well as Secretariat until the new director came in. There's still time for him to do something great.

I want to go on the Rick and Morty thread and talk about how Jerry needs to get his poo poo together. But the fan base scares me.