Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Well I, uh, didn't need to stop at E14 and wait until I had cough syrup to finish out :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CoolCab posted:

yeah he's the jumping off point of the examination of sitcom logic that anchors the show. telling bojack to go gently caress himself was incredibly cathartic and moreso in hindsight.

I always thought it was odd that the show makes it clear he was fired for being gay, when the inciting incident was getting caught having sex in a bathroom. I'm not sure you'd get away with that even if it was a heterosexual encounter? maybe I'm naïve
Herb was raided at home holding an orgy, I believe

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
No, you're right, it was a sting operation for "public indecency", would have sworn they were leading him out of his house when it comes up on TV in the flashback.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Android Blues posted:

This one's so good and nails one of the show's most important points. Being depressed is dreadful and soul-destroying; it also doesn't morally incubate you from bad things you may have done, and it's entirely possible to get wrapped up in your own misery to the point where it's a form of self-obsession.
I still don't understand how a lighter is projecting anything over someone's head?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wanda saw the beginning of a spiral and tried to steer him out of it, and bowed out when he refused.
Even then she was hopeful when the doorbell rang at her sister's, let down to find it was just the pizza guy

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
"Looks like you found some solace in our show. Stay, if you like. In thirty minutes we start over."

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, I never realized Hollyhock's dads' "secret language" was easily decipherable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9cFXGjEtM

They blow him off in the moment

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I would have appreciated the antidepressant storyline more if they left Dianne so brainfogged she had to come to terms with being unable to write anymore, but I guess there's the same irresponsibility arguments against going negative there as there is going implicitly positive on suicide. Maybe if they'd had more time to explore.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Or not even that dramatic, but to elide the realities of antidepressant side effects was disappointing from a show that connected with me on so many aspects of living with depression and betrayed some of its recurring themes. "It gets easier. But you have to do it every day. That's the hard part. Or you can take this cure-all and hit the gym a couple times a week". Have her struggle with not enjoying sex with Guy or the sense of emptiness she talked about experiencing the last time she was on them, but on the balance realize that it's a necessary stepping stone until she reorganizes her thought patterns and develops healthier coping mechanisms. I understand that's a lot to deal with in the limited space they had available while resolving her more long-standing character arcs, but the way it was presented was too pat.

Also, the timeline does not work out for how quickly she was on-off and seeing effects. It's more of a nitpick because her story was so disconnected from the rest of the cast it doesn't jar when it feels like more time is passing than it is, but ehh. Just not a graceful handling all around.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 27, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The first episode is dire, to the point I've always assumed it was developed as a pilot. The first couple after that are fine though

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Personally I think Episode 4 is the best introduction to the characters, yet watching them in order is the best way to enjoy the ramp towards serious character study

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

PunkBoy posted:

Seeing BoJack gently caress over Todd's dream rock opera was when I first "got" the show. Also the introduction of acclaimed character actress Margo Martindale!
Looking back, the running plot point in Season 1 that the smoking guns lying around (The receipt under the couch, the pictures of Bojack loving Sarah Lynn) never fired but the pattern of action surrounding them paid off the storylines all the same hugely telegraphed how the Penny situation was going to resolve.

I love how the first thing Biscuits Braxby his Bojack with after the 17 minutes thing is sleeping with his fanclub president. By Season 4 it was so far down the list of lovely things you don't even register it as anything more than the gag it's played for, but once it's put in the right context it's absolutely in the pantheon. I also liked in Season 5 when Bojack throws out "What happened with the hairdresser on Horsin' Around" as one of the million things he's never told Dianne and her reaction, as ours, is to reflexively assume the worst. It's like how the incident with Jameson made it on Braxby's list - it turns out not to be as damning as it sounds when you know the story, entirely the opposite in the Jameson case, but there's a reason your mind jumps that hard.

Daikloktos fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I was kind of blown away by the bit in this interview where RBW makes it sound like more of an off-the-cuff decision

quote:

Bob-Waksberg: I don’t want to say it was planned from the beginning of the series, but certainly when we were thinking, “What is causing BoJack to [enter this death hallucination]” we knew that he was relapsing and drinking and doing drugs again. It felt like, “Oh yeah, he could just pass out on the couch … or it could be in the pool. Let’s go that way. That is much more resonant.” In the credits, but also throughout the series, there have been so many references to swimming and drowning. It felt like a nice pay-off.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I got the impression they never had the plot hooks set up at the end of a season fully set in stone to when they wrote them out. Ana Spanakopita and Stefanie played out very different from their introductions

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Did we ever get a reason why Dianne was drawn to write a biography of Secretariat? Seems like that should have come up at some point...

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Lost meant a lot to a lot of people, and while it's obviously fine to cut on it under the zeitgeist opinion that it was worthless pointless hogshit I think directly calling those people out is in poor spirit.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Solitair posted:

It took me a few years to accept the fact that nobody in my social circles liked Lost as much as I did.
Yeah, it's frustrating that it's one of my favourite media and I just have to quietly laugh along when people start bagging on it so hard. Even generally empathetic people who will grant your perspective when you explain what you appreciate about popularly-questionable things will flatly shut you down. Maddening.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Adult Swim delivers yet again. Hopefully they can shore up a good relationship, they're losing all their Fox syndication and need a strong stable.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Venture Bros got away with bare hormone-imbalanced male breasts, pretty sure as long as they're not on a lady S&P is fine.

Nobody will be allowed to smoke, if you even still are on Netflix anyway

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Venture Brothers, Frisky Dingo, Moral Oral... yeah you have Mr. Pickles and Assy McGee but you know, I'd rather take the bad with the good

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My biggest complaint with the final season, other than them not finding a real summative endcap to Mr. Peanutbutter's arc, is the stuff with Todd and his parents. That part of the episode in the back half felt incredibly rote and Jorge was completely sanded down. I loved his appearance in the first half on a character level but - well, for as much realistic consequence to this wacky animal world as the show deals in the one issue it always had to elide was race. It didn't want to pull that very obvious thread and so you're asked from early on to suspend your disbelief that there wouldn't be incredible tension in a world with hundreds of socially-constructible "races". When it's a gag like the "elephant in the room" bit or the Animal's Choice Awards it's one thing, but any time the plot started betraying that required suspension it jars.

Kerrek posted:

Who dares besmirch Assy McGee
I'd actually go to bat for most of the traditionally "bad" Adult Swim shows. Even the ones that don't work on a fundamental level almost always have certain superlative qualities that I wouldn't want rounded off in exchange for a more homogenized but fundamentally functional show.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It was two pages, and I'm torn to imagine that's where the second-half's "gently caress" landed (even though they probably just didn't get a second one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Blackface episodes of shows from the last decade?