Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I cannot believe how long it took me to watch this show. I dismissed it because I saw someone mention it in passing that it was like Family Guy. Then a friend asked if I had watched it and when I said no, he was surprised and told me to watch it because Bojack is very similar to Don Draper, and yea, he was 100% correct. I binged the show in a weekend and just wow, it exceeded beyond my expectations.

It took a while, but I figured Sarah Lynn is my favorite character. I'm sure Kristen Schaal and Paul F Thompkin's both get offered parts that have the word quirky in them, and it was really nice to see them playing against type.

My favorite running joke is how the animal people still have both pet like names and also animal characteristics.

Suck a dick dumbshits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mobby_6kl posted:

BoJack being a cartoon version of Mad Men isn't such a weird opinion though: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/20/9002247/bojack-horseman-review-netflix-season-2

Yea, pretty much everything on that list I saw in the show. Especially about Bojack and Don being two men who have material success but they desire to have something more that escapes them which leads to self destructive behavior.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hedrigall posted:

I just discovered this show and i'm nearly finished with the first season. It's incredible. It's like Californication but even better.

Mr Peanutbutter is definitely my favourite character :3:

Anytime he acts like a dog, its the best.

*ears perk up* Someones at the door!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mutation posted:

When he tells Diane that whenever she leaves for work he sits on the couch and waits for her to come home was the most :unsmith: :smith: thing.

Yea, it makes me think that Mr Peanutbutter is actually really repressing a lot of issues. It kind of came out when he accused Bojack of trying to get with Diane.

Oh man I just got the joke there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LeJackal posted:

Would furries even develop as a culture when you can literally go out and have sex with an animal person?
Nobody even really seems to care about it either. Besides Bojack, but that was a competition ting with Diane.

It wouldn't be seen as anything more weird that guys who will only go out with Asian women most likely.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Peanutbutter really needs to find a new promotions place to get his banners and shirts made.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sounds like someone has fur fever.

You know that's a thing in this world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I just realized no one on this show could ever have a pet because every animal is as intelligent as a human so having a pet would be like slavery.

The most horrifying episode is the one where they reveal where meat comes from. Some animal people are chosen as food and made unintelligent by injections.

The world of Bojack Horseman is truly a dark one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

robot roll call posted:

Anyone else being Bojack for Halloween? I'll post a few pics of me horsin' around this weekend.

That was my idea, except the party I was going to got canceled. I was going to borrow my friends horsemask and wear my suit jacket.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Vincent Adultman would be a good costume. You'd just need a hat, a treachncoat, a broom and a mannequin hand.

No one would know who you were though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nevvy Z posted:

I feel like those and this show have conflicting markets.
Edit-

Not these. These are gold. Maybe they'll get picked up by the guys that made these monstrosities:

Reaction figures are made by the same company that makes Pop figures, Funko. They're terrible and sell like crap, except the Alien ones because they were based on actual figures never actually sold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess I should start rewatching season 1 and 2.

I am most hyped to see the continuing story of Mr Peanutbutter and the print shop he gets his banners from. Actually, I'd not be surprised if this season shows Mr Peanutbutter cracking even more, because we saw that briefly, but no one that nice and positive can stay that way forever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think they've rung all the comedy out of Vincent Adultman they can.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are you fired? Not exactly. Can you work here? No.

I love Colbert's delivery on every single line.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The establishing shots of Bojacks house always have great jokes. I like the Rooster Jogging by going "ITS MORNING!!!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IRQ posted:

Meow Meow Fuzzyface asking Becca the chicken who her favorite baroque composer was will never cease to send me into fits.

I find that to the weakest episode, because it felt like they had to address why there was meat in world where animals are people, and the whole thing actually lessons the casual horror that is much better done earlier when the cow waitress give the guy his steak with venom.

But that line is fantastic.

When Bojack wants to drink his pain away, what is the first thing the bartender gives him and he says "to far". It looks like its rat poison. Though I also love his "What is this breakfast?" when they bring out the vodka.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bawfuls posted:

But Mr Peanutbutter is a Labrador so him being insufferably positive all the time forever is a perfect personality trait for him

Yea, but they can sometimes go nuts and bite people.

Mr Peanutbutter acting like a dog is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't just NOT chase the mailman!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Generic 80s new wave beat
bee bop bee bop
this is a song from the 80s!
The decade which it currently is

I love that Bojack is singining along to that as if, yep, this is a song that actually exists.

Actually, the show doesn't use liscenced music very much, the only thing I can think of is Tegan and Sara in the season 1 finale.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Generic 90's grunge song, Everyone in flannel. Generic 90's grunge song. Something from Seattle.

I didn't notice I until I was trying to find them on youtube and saw one of the stores on what I assume is supposed to be Hollywood, is a "Magick" store. Which is funny becuase everythings supposed to be "things that were big in the 90s" and magic has regained its popularity in most recent years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apn5p8jiO-A

i am the bird posted:

They use the Tegan and Sara song twice, I think, and then the Season 1 finale also has the Rolling Stones.

Oh that's right!

I like how the scanner seems like a throw away joke, but then it becomes an important plot point.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 16, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

"Oh my god are you Todd?!"
"Uhhh, yes."
"SHUT UP TODD!"
":saddowns:"

Hah, yea I just watched that scene.

This is probably going places I don't want to go, but uh, are furries into Bojack? Considering how much they were over for Zootopia, i'd think they would also have the same thing for this, but then the animal people are not really dawn in the way that Furries would want to spank it to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Furries are into everything.

Everyone you have ever met or heard of is secretly a furry.

You yourself are in fact a furry.

Well, then there is only one solution
:commissar: :suicide:

Hahaha, I forgot about Mr Peanutbutter trying to tell the firemen Todd's theme park is on fire and they're "What is it boy? A Kids trapped down a well!!!??"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I stand corrected. Plus my memory of Chickens was faulty, it's actually pretty good.

I hope you folks like Community Service.
I do!
You do? Awwww.

I'm glad they never did an episode where Bojack needed money, but it was Mr Peanutbutter.

I'd forgotten the Hank Hippopopolis episode is really accurate on the way women are treated when they have sexual assault accusations.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 17, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know why, but using the phrase Funky Spider-Man to describe Auto-erotic Asphyxiation makes me laugh.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder what Bojacks other TV show was. There's a lot set up at the end of 2. Besides that, we have Princess Caroline setting up her own agency, and then there's whatevers going on with Diane and Mr Peanutbutter. Even though it looks like he forgave her for coming back and not telling him, its possible he's repressing it.

Also, Bojack admitting Todd was his best friend, I hope that means he gets to have the spare bedroom.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Jill Pill is either human or a giant Pill Bug.

I always wondered if the directors sweater was meant to look like a football play, because he's clearly designed to be very blue collar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Big Ink posted:

Why does cantaloupe think every time it gets invited to a party it can bring its dumb friend honeydew?

This is great because it's so god drat true.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm only on episode 5 but I love Mr Peanutbutter is Canadian. Also, when he and Diane get a divorce, which is obvious that they're going that way, Todd moves in with Mr Peanutbutter and they just have wacky cute adventures that are actually horrible..

And holy poo poo the Underwater episode. I love that it was Japan. Everything was familiar, but also weird.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 23, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I gotta go meet people now, and of course i have to stop at the end of episode 11. Please Sara Lynn don't be dead :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wow I had to prepare myself I said, this isn't Game of Thrones for god forbid Walking Dead, they're not going to just kill one of the primary supporting characters. Nope, there for Sarah Lynn. Now I'm said.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
God, I'm super depressed now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Y-Hat posted:

I don't recommend binging all of this season over a short timespan for this exact reason. It's funny and really good, but they cranked the dreariness up to an 11 so it's a lot to absorb. It was my "escape from current events" show over the last two days and it didn't really provide an escape.

It seriously was Sarah Lynn dying. Both her and Bojack have this really good epiphany on their relationship and realize they care for each other a lot, and then, she's gone. It also seems to be over really quickly. The flashback to 2007 and that scene was heartbreaking, because yea, Bojack really is the only person she can truly identify with, but he came there to ask her to be in his show. Then walking out of Ethan Around because he realizes he's creating another Sarah Lynn. Man I could have handled everything else, but that just depressed me to the point that puppy videos won't help.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want to watch Stranger Things now, but I'm afraid it will be depressing too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really like the woman in the restaurant Now we can get kids addicted to vaping!

Oh something I was thinking of now that we've heard the full Mr Peanutbutter's House theme, it was have been the more hip and (to use a horrible term that was really popular in the 90s and early 2000s) urban show than Horsin' Around. The theme song has a very 90s soul/R&B/New Jack Swing feel to it, and I can imagine the opening featured geometric shapes with squiggly lines over them and Mr Peanutbutter striking funky poses with a backwards baseball cap on.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 24, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Also, the kids he adopts on the show are black.

That was the first clue, then the themesong and just, I could see some exec in the 90s going "lets make a copy of Horsin' Around and make it with the hip hop music that the kids like these days". I'd love a flashback involving Mr Peanutbutters house. It's got like a very Hangin with mr cooper/Fresh Prince vibe.

Those things are like the Nagels of the 90s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Aren't we allowed to not use spoilers now? Just in case
in hindsight yea, Sarah Lynn's death was pretty well forshadowed, but I also expected them to make a bunch of jokes about her being gone, went to a better place, and other death euphemisms but it turns out she was in a rehab facility in Santa Barbara. I'd not be surprised if we find out next season she left everything to Bojack, becuase he was the only person in her life she actually liked.

The sad thing about Ethaning Around is Bojack was legitimately helping, showing his knowlage of sitcoms to help make the show actually good. I hoped that it would click with Bojack and he'd learn that he has the skills to be a director. Maybe they replaced Bojack with that Zebra guy or Mr Peanutbutter after he ran off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
While Sarah Lynn will show up as Sabrina on Horsin' Around clips, I hope she also pops up as a vision caused by Bojack's guilt and poo poo. I just don't want to lose that much Kristen Schaal.

It took me forever to realized Detrich Bader was Judah. I kept seeing his name in the credits and thinking "who the hell is he playing?".

Something else, I thought the Dark Secret of the Labrador Peninsula was that they were super loving racist, and that they saw anyone who wasn't a Golden Lab was inferior but it was all covered up by their super happy personalities. I mean, did you see anyone other than dog people there?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Human Crouton posted:

Please, no. Visions of guilt are the worst story mechanic. Nobody actually sees visions of people out of guilt.

Really? You don't think Bojack Horseman would do something interesting with that hackney concept, and write a hanging lantern on it and make it amazing?

Huh, I never knew that Vincent is voiced by Alison Brie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't watch the Lego Batman trailer without thinking Bojack voices Batman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can only assume that the Bojack Dance was something from the sitcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I imagine that it came from a "Do the Bartman" style music video.

Yea, and that's why he tries to get the kids at the prom to do it, and has the song on his phone.

Brap Brap Pew pew!

I like in season 1 when Bojack and Sarah Lynn are banging, Todd get's dragged in.

"okay, I'm part of it now..." then later "that was the longest two minutes of my life. I still can't feel my arm"