Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ReturnOfFable posted:

That four skill turn he did with just the one guy at the end was ridiculous. I hope they don't balance that before release because I want to try that.

Remember it is pistol only. Most of those skills have cooldowns and I'm not sure how return fire triggered. And you can't move that turn. It's strong but not ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Qrr posted:

Remember it is pistol only. Most of those skills have cooldowns and I'm not sure how return fire triggered. And you can't move that turn. It's strong but not ridiculous.

Yeah, he was shooting off all his abilities at once.

Next update half done, expect it to be up Monday Evening or early Tuesday.

It was really fun to write.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Speedball posted:

Jesus, gunslingers in XCOM 2 look insanely good. I think Zinchenko was born in the wrong era
https://youtu.be/FGh0DECDWB0

Video starts, I learn that you can make one of your soldiers a badass Jack Packard. Already sold.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Speedball posted:

Yeah, he was shooting off all his abilities at once.

Next update half done, expect it to be up Monday Evening or early Tuesday.

It was really fun to write.

Honestly he could have had a crazier turn. Instead of the triple shot at the end he could have shot 5 times, once at each enemy, but that was on CD.

Also your pistols in Xcom 2 are way stronger. Tier 1 pistol as strong as the assault rifles in Xcom 1.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Qrr posted:

Honestly he could have had a crazier turn. Instead of the triple shot at the end he could have shot 5 times, once at each enemy, but that was on CD.

Also your pistols in Xcom 2 are way stronger. Tier 1 pistol as strong as the assault rifles in Xcom 1.
I'm getting Alpha Protocol flashbacks here.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dude, I'm getting Mass Effect 1 flashbacks. Rifles? Shotguns? Sniper Rifles? Man, forget that poo poo, it's all about Pistol + Gunslinger and just W + M1. That was the kind of poo poo that let me kill Thresher Maws on foot for the lulz. (Which is why it was hilarious that you then had to fight a Thresher Maw on foot in ME2. I'm like, "Dude, Wrex. We killed a poo poo-ton of these things last game. You were freaking there every time. This poo poo ain't hard.")

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The greatest question for the final battle is-

How will they kill Uber :allears:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dude, I'm getting Mass Effect 1 flashbacks. Rifles? Shotguns? Sniper Rifles? Man, forget that poo poo, it's all about Pistol + Gunslinger and just W + M1. That was the kind of poo poo that let me kill Thresher Maws on foot for the lulz. (Which is why it was hilarious that you then had to fight a Thresher Maw on foot in ME2. I'm like, "Dude, Wrex. We killed a poo poo-ton of these things last game. You were freaking there every time. This poo poo ain't hard.")

Of all the changes or flaws of the later games, my greatest sorrow was the neutering of "Nah it's cool, I'll just use my badass pistol on EVERYTHING!" Because loving ammo. Even with all the ammo capacity upgrades and accessories, heavy pistols have just so little ammo :saddowns: Literally the only weapon heat could be a problem with was sniper rifles when they were early game garbage that overheated after one shot. (Though at least Assault rifles were worth using, even if as a Soldier going all :clint: was usually a better bet in ME1).

I also write off Kaiden dying as a Mercy Killing, because he was a Sentinel. And ME1 sentinels had zero weapons or armor training :shepface:

Meanwhile I never picked up Biotics classes in the later games regardless of the antics of Vanguard charge etc, because they removed my favorite power, Lift. "Wait, it's back in ME3?!... oh, it's on a limited use grenade now, because gently caress you." And it was sentinel only, bringing it back to Sentinels just being disappointment incarnate to me as a Class.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

The greatest question for the final battle is-

How will they kill Uber :allears:

With the power of love! Bar-lev will give a big cybernetic hug.

And possibly bullets. Love bullets!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Bullets are just love in high-velocity, armour-piercing, extremely convenient form. :colbert:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Qrr posted:

Tier one pistols are 2 to 3 damage. Tier 1 assault rifles in xcom 1 are 3 to 4 damage.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Section Z posted:

Literally the only weapon heat could be a problem with was sniper rifles when they were early game garbage that overheated after one shot.
Someone clearly never put the exploding ammo and double Scram Rails on an endgame sniper rifle, overheats with every shot but does like 600% damage.
I remember having the bug that left your weapons permanently overheated and beating the last boss to death with a scorched rifle stock. :allears:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Why do the Xcom 2 designers love "sit on your hands for a turn" abilities so much? I swear, the first thing I'm going to do is mod those abilities to make them interesting: 10 aim for not moving last turn becomes 10(15?) aim for not reloading and not moving THIS turn; 20 aim for wasting a turn by curling up into a ball and crying becomes 20 aim that let's you at least fire your pistol or throw out an item.

Maybe it's the skill tree video's style that makes it so frustrating: "Look at this soldier doing nothing! That's very powerful and can change really change the battle."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

thetruegentleman posted:

Why do the Xcom 2 designers love "sit on your hands for a turn" abilities so much? I swear, the first thing I'm going to do is mod those abilities to make them interesting: 10 aim for not moving last turn becomes 10(15?) aim for not reloading and not moving THIS turn; 20 aim for wasting a turn by curling up into a ball and crying becomes 20 aim that let's you at least fire your pistol or throw out an item.

Maybe it's the skill tree video's style that makes it so frustrating: "Look at this soldier doing nothing! That's very powerful and can change really change the battle."

Your sniper not moving a turn doesn't mean that he did nothing, he could as well have shot an alien or two (depending on his skills). You're exaggerating.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

64bitrobot posted:

Tier one pistols are 2 to 3 damage. Tier 1 assault rifles in xcom 1 are 3 to 4 damage.

My mistake on the Xcom 2 pistols, but Assault rifles in Xcom 1 are 2 to 4. So pistols in this game do .5 more than assault rifles in the last. It does look like they scale slower than other weapons, though - the tier 2 pistol only does 3-4.

A sniper not moving is actually a very standard turn since they can't move and shoot, or alternatively if you take the hunker one, you'd combine it with the "take another action if you get a kill" one and just shoot/hunker every turn for +20 aim. Not reloading and not moving this turn is a requirement to use your sniper rifle at all, so it'd be silly to give a bonus for it.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 18, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm actually a bit disappointed in the "gunslinger" nomenclature. I tried giving it a night, but I still see a dude dual-wielding a pair of handguns, wearing dark blue tactical gear, a bandanna as a mask, and a cowboy hat*, not this pretender to the Path of Zinchenko.

*(loving Malta.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Your sniper not moving a turn doesn't mean that he did nothing, he could as well have shot an alien or two (depending on his skills). You're exaggerating.

Snipers are usually best if they can set up shop in a tall, all-seeing location anyway, due to how they can't fire their rifle if they moved that turn.

More significantly, there's no "double tap" ability anymore, and Headshot got replaced with something that vastly increases damage for an aim decrease. There is something similar to "In The Zone" now though. Killing enemies that are beneath you lets you get an action back.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Speedball posted:

Snipers are usually best if they can set up shop in a tall, all-seeing location anyway, due to how they can't fire their rifle if they moved that turn.

More significantly, there's no "double tap" ability anymore, and Headshot got replaced with something that vastly increases damage for an aim decrease. There is something similar to "In The Zone" now though. Killing enemies that are beneath you lets you get an action back.

I'm a really big fan of that ability because it feels like it's going to be a lot easier to make use of than say, in the zone, and doesn't have a cooldown like double tap.

Also I can't wait to have a sharpshooter with killzone. That ability looks amazing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 57: Humanity’s Hopes…

No… I know Carol’s mind was destroyed when we destroyed the Alien Base!
Anything that can be copied once can be copied more than once, Cam. Anything can be quantified, and nothing is precious. Eating Allen to become Allen was very enlightening.
Stop! Stop talking in her voice!
C’mon. I’m as much a part of the Uber Ethereal now as my old DNA is a part of you. And that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it? Swapping bodies and minds, trying to better ourselves all the while.

You’re trying to make something healthier than your current body that can still sustain psychic powers, and you think humans are the perfect missing link.
Ding ding ding! Yes. Yes.
Well, it won’t work. We’ve got your hyperwave decoder. We have copies of your weapons and are trading the technology to other countries as we speak. Very shortly, everyone on earth will be a match for you.
Really. Tell me, Cam… when you touched the device in the Gollop Chamber, you had visions of the past and future, right?

I did…
Well, for me, it’s like that all the time. Ever since we built our Device, I’ve been able to see into the future with perfect clarity.
Not very well. We’ve been kicking your rear end.

Yes. You’ve shown us just how powerful humans can be if granted our technology. And those tasty meld canisters we brought to each battle site… those were the perfect bait. Now we have all sorts of ideas for how to mutate humanity into a servitor race while we work on our Avatar Project.
Good luck with that.
Oh, we’re not so bad. Most of the other races were animals or savages before we found them. And there are horrors lurking in the depths of the cosmos that would make us seem like angels. Crystaline entities that reproduce by spreading nanomachine dust on planets. Giant jellyfish that evolved to shatter nearby sapient minds. Telepathic microbes that devour whole dimensions.

I don’t care if you’re the least lovely alien conquerers out there. It’s too late to colonize Earth. We’re all strong enough to stop you. I’m only one person granted SOME upgrades, and eventually there will be a lot more like me. We can take you all on.
Oh? I just told you… I can see the future. So, buddy, how far do you think we can see into the future? Five minutes? Ten? A day? A week? A year?
Wait… no.
You saw all the bodies disappearing on this ship when you killed them.
Everything on this ship is an illusion… a mental projection. Maybe the ship itself!
Maybe this entire planet. This isn’t the present, Cam. This is the future. One possible future that hasn’t been set in stone yet. You wondered if you were still in the Gollop Chamber, touching it and seeing a vision? From one point of view, you are. And from my point of view I’m still touching mine, long ago.

The Orphan, your “commander,” had a similar but much more limited ability that let him guide his troops through battle, sustaining almost zero fatalities. Even now, he’s been lending his mental strength to your squad, without quite knowing it.
Bullshit. What we did, we did on our own!
Nobody ever accomplishes anything on their own. Without strings, puppets do not move.

I’ve learned almost everything I can from this reality. Once I’m done draining data from your friends’ minds and stripping your body of useful genetic research, I’ll collapse this potentiality. From your point of view, a singularity will consume the earth… but I’ll be sitting pretty at home, ready to decapitate XCOM back when we first arrived on Earth.
Not if I kill you first!
Please. You’re talking to a finger puppet. The real me is greater than you can imagine.

It’s summoning up copies of other Elites and Ethereals! Guys, we need to kill it now!

Guys?

I have severed your connection to the Orphan. Their minds are unspooling. Regressing to nothing. All the character development they got working for XCOM has been erased. They won’t move for you anymore.

I can’t quite do the same to you, buuuut… I am a master of illusion. They’ll see what I want them to see. And right now, they see you, pointing a gun at them.

She’s under mind control. We need to kill her.
Yes. We need to kill her to stop the aliens.
What?! No I’m not! Wait!

AUGH! STOP! I’m on your side, dammit! You’re supposed to be mind-control-proof, Eva!

YeeeeAAIIIIgggghhhh…
Goodbye, Cam.

Goodbye, XCOM.

nnnn… not… yet… Not… YET!

My heart’s still beating. I’m not dead yet!
Hmm. Some roaches need to be stepped on twice before they die. Give it up.

My will isn’t broken yet. Everyone has faith in me. I can still feel them. That means…!
This isn’t a shonen manga, Cam. This isn’t an anime. You can’t win just by trying really hard or wanting it hard enough.
Ahahaha. What did you say? “This isn’t anime?” The real Carol Allen would never say that.

You said it yourself. I’m like a human ethereal now. I can replace the commander… I can restore my friends’ minds! We can beat you! Watch this! Leroy! Bar-Lev!!!

Everything I do… it’s for the good of the country.
All that matters… is keeping up appearances.
Bullshit! So you were both spies. So what! You both woke up and realized what really matters. You fought together, bled together, fell in love, realized there were bigger stakes.
Colonel M’s orders…

Colonel M’s a short-sighted rear end in a top hat! Remember what you gave up when you became a cyborg? NOTHING! You got rocket boots and rocket fists, you loving love them both.
That’s… that right!

Leroy! Jogging buddy! You designed my wedding armor, remember? We all fought in pink!
That’s right, but… I want… what did I want?
You wanted to marry Mimi. You wanted to be a mother!
…I’m going to be a mother!

Cam! What the gently caress, you’re hurt! Let me heal you!
Impossible…
I knew it! Mom! Hilda!

I can never tell Cam how much it hurts… I’m too busy saving the earth.
I’m a sniper… a government assassin… I don’t deserve to be loved.
You both deserve all the love you get and more. Mom! You remember kicking Exalt’s rear end in South Africa? “Diplomatic immunity!”
…”It’s just been revoked!” Hahahaha, that was awesome!
Hilda! We fought EXALT together lots of times…once as a tiny two-person team! And once you beat them with no weapons, armor or clothing!
Hahahaha! That was so uncomfortable, but whenever I think about it now I just laugh… how the gently caress did I forget that?!

Cam! Honey!
I’m back in action!!
Just one left! Eva!

What’s the point of trying? Everyone’s better than me.
Nobody’s better than blowing the poo poo out of aliens than you! You have a goddamn rocket launcher and a heavy plasma machine gun and you can use them better than Zhang!
I’m so nervous…
Because you care!
My family hates my face…
Your old family can go to hell. You’ve got a sister in Hilda, a father in Van Doorn, a sister in law with me, and a boyfriend in Hugo! We all love you, because you’re so full of love yourself! XCOM is your family now, literally!

Everyone!
You can’t foil someone with the power of love! This is ridiculous.
No. This is XCOM. I know you’re not the real Carol Allen… because the real Allen is alive, in me!
Yeah!

Concentrate fire on the leader! Everything else on this ship is an illusion. Once we kill the boss, we win!
You got it, honey! One double-tap coming up!

No! This is not what you were meant for! This is not what XCOM is supposed to be like!

Look at us. You said that this isn’t an anime? We’re a team of color-armored soldiers with superpowers. XCOM IS ANIME!
So long, Ethereal!

We got it!
I… I shall survive, on another plane of existence! You shall perish in this one! Joke’s on you, Cam! I’m a load-bearing boss!

Uh oh. The device is doing something.

poo poo! It said it’d collapse this version of earth! The ship’s creating a singularity!
We need to get out of here!
Yeah. You do.

C’mon, Eva, hustle!
Running, running, running!

…goodbye, Cam.

Mom! What are you doing!?
You have to protect the earth, Cam. But as a mother, it’s my duty to protect you. You’re not the only psychic here. I can pilot this ship.
Wait!

GO!

Gaah!

Cam. By the time you get this recording, I might be gone. Ever since I became psychic, I’ve been having dreams of the future. But my own future seems to stop after we complete our mission.

I see myself… in water. Forever, possibly. But I’ve been seeing other things that give me hope.

I see you and Hilda in a sweet little cottage. I see Leroy and Bar-Lev in big frilly wedding dresses.

I see… Zinchenko tossing water balloons to his kid, Dina. Van Doorn playing darts with Zhang. I see Eva dancing around in a circle with Hugo. I even see Shen’s anklebiter playing with him. Nice things.

I also see what will happen if I don’t give myself to the water. Everything ending. So. I’ll do what I’m supposed to do, to stop that from ever happening.

Central, we’re bugging out. Latisha “Rhino” Watkins is not on board… we waited as long as we could.

I can’t see too far into the future, but I really hope humanity doesn’t use this technology to turn on itself like before. I’m hoping the next generation can learn not to do that. That’s you, Cam.

Well… gotta go put this recorder where you’ll find it after the mission. Thanks for being a good sport, kid. Love you lots. Bye.

That’s so like her… always has to show off more than anyone else.
Cam…
I’ll be fine. I’ve just got dust in my eyes…

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stay tuned for epilogue victory screen score stuff.

Thank you all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bait and Switch!

It is glorious!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I should have realized you could do the "splicing together scenes from different save files" trick again. Even so, no one could have asked for a better ending.

On another note, I was inspired to play through XCOM myself back during the early stages of this. I still remember how it ended...

* Final Boss mind-controls the Volunteer while I was setting up for the kill. Technically I could kill the boss anyway, but that'd be a game-over.
* Everyone hides except a Shiv I leave in the open to draw fire.
* The Shiv is destroyed, prompting the boss to start voicing doubts.
* Mind control's duration ends. The volunteer drops a Rift on the boss. It's not very effective, but it's the sentiment that counts, considering...
* Sniper takes the kill.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I clearly enjoyed Undertale too much because I had to go back and put the appropriate music on while reading that update. Amazing.

XCOM IS ANIME!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
:golfclap: Well done. I got a tear in my eye.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

XCOM is Anime, and Anime is real!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

This isn’t a shonen manga, Cam.

Of course it's not a shonen manga. That's just ridiculous.

Clearly it's a seinen manga. And the real Carol Allen would've known the distinction. :colbert:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

And in the end, Cam once again gets to solve everything by just being The Best At Everything.

This update started interesting, until it became literally the pacifist ending of Undertale.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gotta love that multiple save file chicanery.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

biosterous posted:

And in the end, Cam once again gets to solve everything by just being The Best At Everything.

This update started interesting, until it became literally the pacifist ending of Undertale.

obviously this should've ended with the entire team wiping abruptly and everyone being sad forever

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
BOO! BOO! BOO! :argh:

You lose points for having a TV Tropes title in your story.

Nah, I'm just kidding, it was really sincerely a great read and ride.

biosterous posted:

Interesting, yes, did you know the male title for Mary Sue is the protagonist?

Also, :frogout:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

biosterous posted:

But, Rhino was the one who saved Earth? :confused:
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Dooky Dingo posted:

But, Rhino was the one who saved Earth? :confused:
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

He's pretty much spent the entire thread complaining and threadshitting, It's not a surprise.

Good ending, speedball. A fun ride the whole way through.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
You are amazing Speedball.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
No, it's not a shonen manga. Magical girls aren't shonen manga.

Good finale to a good thread. Thanks for putting this together.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
That really WAS pretty much the best ending to Undertale... and that's a good thing in my mind. Now to wonder if there's gonna be a lead in to XCOM 2 or if this is a timeline where things get to end well for everyone.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

J Detan posted:

That really WAS pretty much the best ending to Undertale... and that's a good thing in my mind. Now to wonder if there's gonna be a lead in to XCOM 2 or if this is a timeline where things get to end well for everyone.

XCOM 2 is set in a timeline where the aliens won. I'm predicting that this LP will involve Watkins reaching through the dimensional void and effectively taking the place of The Orphan/unseen commander.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don't you know, the seinen sequels have to more edgy to attract sales. That way they can escalate the conflict even more :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

biosterous posted:

nobody cares dude.

Particularly me since I'm way too much of a graphics snob to play or care about undertale.

Anywho this LP was cool, and good, and I am a fan. Kudos speedball! Seriously the multiple save files at the end there was inspired.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

biosterous posted:

Nein, she solved everything because she came from the water: that weren't no easy thing, It's more than nature, It's like her destiny. So she stood upon those legs, and held her head up high, and then emerged beneath the sun. And then she blew up.

On the bright side, the aftermath will probably get everyone to forgive the Chinese government for the 2007 anti-satellite missile test. But at what cost. :(

Torrannor posted:

The problem is that the sniper is still doing the same thing they would do on any turn without that ability, and the player can't use the ability in interesting ways that change how the player addresses a problem.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
:magical:
Amazing. Just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Speedball posted:

Yes. You’ve shown us just how powerful humans can be if granted our technology. And those tasty meld canisters we brought to each battle site… those were the perfect bait. Now we have all sorts of ideas for how to mutate humanity into a servitor race while we work on our Avatar Project.
Good luck with that.
Oh, we’re not so bad. Most of the other races were animals or savages before we found them. And there are horrors lurking in the depths of the cosmos that would make us seem like angels. Crystaline entities that reproduce by spreading nanomachine dust on planets. Giant jellyfish that evolved to shatter nearby sapient minds. Telepathic microbes that devour whole dimensions.

Teehee, nice foreshadowing here, boss. :allears:

Also let me see if i get this right: Crystaline Entities is a nod to The Endless in Endless Legend/Space, "Nanomachine dust" being Dust in both games. Giant jellyfish might be a nod to Terror from the Deep or the UFO: After<BLANK> series of games, I'm inclined to think the latter. Finally, Telepathic microbes I know is a nod to Xcom Apocalypse.

Also nice job on the double bait and switch, worked out pretty good huh? ;) Another case of unexpected limitations leading to artistic cleverness.

E: And considering how 90's comicbook classic XCOM was, modern XCOM being "Anime" is entirely within reason. :haw:

• Locked thread