Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Alright, we're all looking forward to it. But it shouldn't take long to reach the next page.

Edit: See?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, that was easier than I thought!

Seraphroy
Jun 24, 2010

Jesus shit that Steelix is terrifying.

Speedball posted:

Was in dire mental straits today, but then I got cheered up by a friend who broke everything down for me in a way nobody else did before, and got even more cheered up when I took a trip through memory lane attempting to describe the idiotic awesomeness of the Civ V: Peace Walker thread. Heh. Man what the hell was I eating when I came up with that.

I'll shoot for another update this weekend, but could I get enough comments to get onto the next page? This update's kind of huge.

Whatever you were eating, never stop. That thread was magical.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
Yeah, whatever you were eating for that thread, get more because that was an awesome LP.

So is this one.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of which, did Vice ever start his Madoka Civ lp? Or is he still busy with the mod?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of which, did Vice ever start his Madoka Civ lp? Or is he still busy with the mod?

The mod, and I think he decided not to do the lp as he talked about it in the sandcastle or something (I don't remember that well) and they didn't like it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

The mod, and I think he decided not to do the lp as he talked about it in the sandcastle or something (I don't remember that well) and they didn't like it.

Well yeah. It's the sandcastle and it was a mod about magical girls.

Not that people shouldn't use the sandcastle for technical poo poo, but there's some pretty poo poo opinions in there.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah, but he got legit criticism about his writing, too. It... wasn't very good. IMO he should play to his strengths and stick to making great mods.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh well. I guess Speedball could take a crack at that whenever he feels up to it.

He did start it back in the Peace-Walker thread so he had some kind of idea (albeit, he didn't seem to be going for narrative).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

To be fair, nobody wants to make Speedball go back to Civ V, he's already got over 1000 hours in it and last I heard of it, he was getting really burned out on it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

1275 hours. Plus I'm not sure I can top a cultural victory that has two men fighting each other with martial arts and music atop Outer Heaven.

Beyond Earth's out too, because for now the game's not... it's not feature-rich enough for me to show off lots of neat interlocking strategies. It's over-flexible, to the point that the factions are not distinct from each other at all.

Endless Legend might be in the cards, too, but it'll be later.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I'd suggest a Dragon Age Inquisition sidejaunt, but that game's a steaming pile of bugs still.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dragon Age? Inquisition? ... I don't think so. Have played it, don't think I should LP it.

Bar-Lev will return and will test just how drunk you can get when most of your body is made of carbon nanotubes and steel.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 9, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Bar-Lev will return and will test just how drunk you can get when most of your body is made of carbon nanotubes and steel.

I for one look forward to it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

1275 hours. Plus I'm not sure I can top a cultural victory that has two men fighting each other with martial arts and music atop Outer Heaven.

Beyond Earth's out too, because for now the game's not... it's not feature-rich enough for me to show off lots of neat interlocking strategies. It's over-flexible, to the point that the factions are not distinct from each other at all.

Endless Legend might be in the cards, too, but it'll be later.

Oh well, but I am equally excited to see what you can do with EL. I haven't finished a game yet because the progress rate is really slow, but I really like the design of it. I'm looking forward to see what you can do with it.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012

Speedball posted:

Was in dire mental straits today, but then I got cheered up by a friend who broke everything down for me in a way nobody else did before, and got even more cheered up when I took a trip through memory lane attempting to describe the idiotic awesomeness of the Civ V: Peace Walker thread. Heh. Man what the hell was I eating when I came up with that.

I'll shoot for another update this weekend, but could I get enough comments to get onto the next page? This update's kind of huge.

I dunno what you were eating, but you need to get more of it. This train should never end.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well that's yet another broken promise. Sorry, folks. I've been a shell of a man ever since December. This upcoming weekend will probably be different, though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
We still love ya.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hey! I'm replaying XCOM because of this LP! I've actually started to tweak my unit's around a bit because of you.

I have to say though, given the either/or/both option of Genetics or Cybernetics, I chose Genetics every time. Probably because I play with the Skill Roulette and Cybernetics ignores that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Well that's yet another broken promise. Sorry, folks. I've been a shell of a man ever since December. This upcoming weekend will probably be different, though.

I feel your pain. No rush

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

Relax man, we understand and if you ever need someone to listen to your woes we'll be here for you.
(Though I imagine at least some of us are aggravated by the lack of updates everyone is to polite to say that, which I think is a good sign. I'm saying this as I just like to speak my mind.)
If I could, I'd get you a beer, but for obvious reasons I can't.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Did something happen last weekend? If so, sorry man, and hope that your problems get better soon. I'm sure we all eagerly await the next update, regardless of when it is.
Sorry for making a double post, but we worry about you man.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Actually, my other fanbase came to me and shot me nearly 50 encouraging messages on one page. So I've been taking it easy and letting that sink in, examining my life and so on. I'm feeling a lot better now, just not at 100%.

VV: For the other thing I do. It is totally a freaky coincidence that Greg was scripted to face a demon that forces you to relive unbearable emotions right when I was facing something similar. Fortunately, he's also scripted to snap out of it shortly.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Speedball posted:

Actually, my other fanbase came to me

Your other fanbase? :raise:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

Actually, my other fanbase came to me and shot me nearly 50 encouraging messages on one page. So I've been taking it easy and letting that sink in, examining my life and so on. I'm feeling a lot better now, just not at 100%.

VV: For the other thing I do. It is totally a freaky coincidence that Greg was scripted to face a demon that forces you to relive unbearable emotions right when I was facing something similar. Fortunately, he's also scripted to snap out of it shortly.

Alas, if only real life could plot itself like a hero story.

Well, sometimes it does for some lucky people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Now that the ball is rolling, I can spend time and mental energy on XCOM as well. I plan on updating XCOM tomorrow, see if I don't.

Now that the Sectoid Commander is dead and psychic powers are going to be researched, things are only going to get weirder from now on. And they're already pretty drat weird!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 9, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've started playing Enemy Within, and probably the weirdest part of it, for me, is how my MEC's voice clips have changed. He went from your standard efficient soldier type to saying lines like "damage within acceptable parameters" and "resources are depleted" with this weird robotic distortion on his voice.

My guess is he always wanted to be a cyborg, and now that he is he feels he has to imitate Robocop. Neeeeerd.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

http://t.co/dsdvp64YM7 <-- the other other thing we've been working on all this time. Now that the ball is rolling, I can spend time and mental energy on XCOM as well. I plan on updating XCOM tomorrow, see if I don't.

Edit: removed due to being rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 9, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's pretty rude to ask such things.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 9, 2015

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, the 'Speedball' name comes from how when he takes a hit above a certain 'speed' he gets a 'ball' of kinetic energy to redirect it.

Then Civil War happened, and the formerly happy-go-lucky hero was reworked into pain-powered suffering-magnet Penance, which people are gradually trying to claw back because it was a really really terrible idea.

Unless we're talking about an entirely different Speedball...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Elfface posted:

Well, the 'Speedball' name comes from how when he takes a hit above a certain 'speed' he gets a 'ball' of kinetic energy to redirect it.

Then Civil War happened, and the formerly happy-go-lucky hero was reworked into pain-powered suffering-magnet Penance, which people are gradually trying to claw back because it was a really really terrible idea.

Which is teh one that killed John Belushi?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Elfface posted:

Hit me with a hammer, and I bounce off the walls. I have a cat with the same superpower as me.

You do NOT want to see what it's like to play laser pointers with him.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

It's pretty rude to ask such things.

Yeah, looking at it I can see that, sorry just that sometimes plain old curiosity gets the better of me and I ask questions that aren't really appropriate. (this sort of thing is why I have my signature, incidentally).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah, looking at it I can see that, sorry just that sometimes plain old curiosity gets the better of me and I ask questions that aren't really appropriate. (this sort of thing is why I have my signature, incidentally).

So delete the post then please!

Preview of tonight's update:

It contains...nougat?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Speedball posted:

So delete the post then please!

Eh, I'd like to keep it for posterity's sake (I like being able to be open) but since it's a request from you all right.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 27: Spoils of War

Are you sure that wasn’t just a part of its illusion?
Positive. I would have died without Allen. Looks like she saved us all. I know it’ll be impossible to prove to anyone, but…
Don’t worry. I’ll give Carol Allen as many posthumous awards as I can get my hands on.

Great job, everyone! Woo!
Yeah! You’re awesome! We kicked those aliens back to Uranus!

Don’t you think this is a bit premature?
Hey, we just blew up the enemy’s only base and killed their leader. I’d call that a win, doctor.
They come from outer space. There’s more of them.
I don’t follow. We’re on Earth, not outer space.
*sigh*

Don’t worry, I’ll explain it to him in baby steps later. So, what’s this glowing orange thing the Sectoid Commander was guarding?
Um…it’s orange…
Oh, god…
Well, it broadcasts energy. It’s not a weapon, so we think it’s some kind of communicator. If the Sectoid Commander was talking to anyone, it was either its fleet or its masters. Once we spend the time cracking its secrets we might be able to get much more detailed information on UFOs, and find the true source of the invasion.
I see. How about our prize corpse?

Its brain is fascinating. If we could replicate the effects it was able to generate, we’d have—
TELEPATHIC SOLDIERS! YEAAAAH!
Ahem. Yes. At the very least, we could engineer a way to interfere with the effect to make sure it could never happen again in the future.

Excellent work, XCOM. The council… is very pleased. About ten percent of the people kidnapped were able to be rescued and recovered. Hundreds of people will be going home to their countries. Their leadership… is celebrating, with good cause.

Leroy, you’re promoted. I’m running out of promotions to give you people…
Hey, no complaints, sir! And since I like backing other people up I’ll just be second-in-command to Cam. Probably won’t be long before Mimi’s a Colonel too…
Now for the bad news. Everyone who went in that base is on leave for the next week or two.
What?!
As a precaution to make sure there isn’t any residual mental contamination. Once you check out, ladies, you’ll be back to kicking rear end. In the meantime, we’ll have everyone else doing their thing.

I’m sorry about your friend. If you want to cry about it over a couple of medicinal beers, I’ll be right here.
Thanks, Mom. Well… I guess you’re gonna be doing your thing out there without me. Just be careful, okay? You don’t have any gene mods to regenerate you when they spit poison in your face or shoot at you with superheated green poo poo.
I’ll be fine, kid. Enjoy your break. I hunt ghosts all the time in Germany, shooting a few corporeal aliens will be a breeze.
…you… you what?
Oh, they didn’t clear you for that intel?

So, since I’m off the team for now, I guess it’s time to relax with a little pool.
Ohhh no, little lady, you can’t fool me. I know hustlers.
What’s a hustler?
…this is gonna be good.
I warn you. The world’s best sniper needs no rifle… only a pool cue.

Look at all this new stuff for us to research!
Sadly, Commander, we’re not going to learn much new from all this.
What? Bullshit.

What about those alien pods we found all the people in?
They’re identical to the tubes we meld our soldiers in. Nothing new there.

Surely their surgical bays—
Roboticized, but nothing really revolutionary compared to what our own basic scalpels and respirators are capable of.

We have no idea what they were storing human meat for, either. This is a bust.
drat!

But the strobing thing at the top of their base had to be important too, right?
It’s just a holographic screen-saver for an alien video game.
Son of a BITCH! Fine. We’ll sell it all to the Gray Market. But we’ll play it up as much as we can, see if we can’t get a few fighter jets worth of money out of those stingy bastards.

TO BE CONTINUED!

quote:

What the hell kind of video game do aliens even play?!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

What the hell kind of video game do aliens even play?!

The kind where they have to defend their homes from invaders from beyond, duh!

That, or Civilization.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

berryjon posted:

That, or Civilization.

There's a huge sperg-war on the intermind message boards over the inclusion of Ma'Rija Broog-intz'a as the leader for one of the nations.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

That was excellent Speedball and I look forward to seeing how anyone who becomes psionic reacts to it. Oh and I can't wait till you find Annette Durand who's guaranteed to be a high will psi powerhouse and see what the team thinks of her and her story. You already have Zhang with his Triad experience acting as a badass somewhat aged dude on the field, I imagine he'd have some tips for our future recruits, since I swear he seems to be near guaranteed to test positive for PSI. (which means he should probably be one of the first people who put in the psi labs).

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

The kind where they have to defend their homes from invaders from beyond, duh!

Space Invaders.

But backwards.

• Locked thread