Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klaus88 posted:

You yanked it to Sigourney Weaver in Aliens didn't you? You dirty loving sperg. :fap:

Glass houses, nerd. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Klaus88 posted:

You yanked it to Sigourney Weaver in Aliens didn't you? You dirty loving sperg. :fap:

You didn't?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Chrysalid pens got posters of xenomorphs on all the walls, 'lids pumping iron to be like their role model.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

First up: YES still working on update. One image at a time, when I get the time, if necessary.

Second up: Anyone here played MGS4, how Kojima talked about an opressive data-monitoring society? He may have been warning us about Konami. I mean, JESUS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/report-reveals-restrictive-and-hostile-working-con/1100-5251/

Remember that part in Tales From The Borderlands, Part 1 where an exec is "promoted" to "Senior Vice Janitor?" KONAMI DOES THIS FOR REALS.

They are literally more evil than cartoonish supervillains.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

First up: YES still working on update. One image at a time, when I get the time, if necessary.

Second up: Anyone here played MGS4, how Kojima talked about an opressive data-monitoring society? He may have been warning us about Konami. I mean, JESUS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/report-reveals-restrictive-and-hostile-working-con/1100-5251/

Remember that part in Tales From The Borderlands, Part 1 where an exec is "promoted" to "Senior Vice Janitor?" KONAMI DOES THIS FOR REALS.

God drat... that's worse than some of the horror stories I've read about how QA departments in Western game development get treated. :psyduck:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

W.T. Fits posted:

God drat... that's worse than some of the horror stories I've read about how QA departments in Western game development get treated. :psyduck:

It's pretty telling that when Shinji Mikami and Suda 51 worked with EA, repeat, ELECTRONIC ARTS, named the 'worst company to work for' some absurd amount of times, to make Shadows Of The Damned, they described it as 'the most fun they'd ever had working.' :psypop:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So some parts of that article seemed kind of overblown (They monitor whether their workers are working and require them to punch out and in for lunch? That's most American companies, nothing ridiculous there.), but there were some things that were pretty nutso (Reassigning developers to security, cleaning, or factory work? I suppose that's better than just straight up poo poo-canning them, but still.). Facebook monitoring is starting to become common here in the States as well (I'm pretty shocked that we are allowed to be facebook friends with our managers at my call center, the last place I worked we couldn't.), and I'm not sure I get the "no personal e-mail" thing. I suppose they mean in-office e-mail? They have to, because I can't imagine any of these guys can't just set up an anonymous gmail or yahoo account. The former Kojima office not having internet access is kind of funny in a "wow, they must really hate that guy and his people now that he's left" kind of way, but again, my work internet access is extremely limited and monitored. I can't even use google.

That all said, Konami's other practices seem pretty scummy and shady, and I wasn't really planning to play the latest MGS game anyway (I haven't palyed any since 4). So I guess I'm done with them now. Eh.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

So some parts of that article seemed kind of overblown (They monitor whether their workers are working and require them to punch out and in for lunch? That's most American companies, nothing ridiculous there.),

The requiring them to clock in and out with a time card during lunch hour isn't unusual; the "if you're ever late back from lunch, we're going to broadcast your name to the entire building and publicly insult and shame you for it" part is kind of horrific, though.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Ctrl-F "zaibatsu" not found

This is the first time I've heard a genuine horror story coming out of the Japanese corporate "membership" culture that didn't come from some kind of cyberpunk game sourcebook.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

RickVoid posted:

but there were some things that were pretty nutso (Reassigning developers to security, cleaning, or factory work? I suppose that's better than just straight up poo poo-canning them, but still.).

This is because there are stronger employee protections in Japan so it's harder to fire someone for no reason, so they just give them that kind of poo poo work to make them quit.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Also, it helps to take the context of the culture into consideration as well.
For example, in the schools, students are tasked with cleaning the classrooms as the theory goes that it will teach the children a greater respect for the classroom.
In essence, by assigning the developers as cleaning crew, they are telling them they need to have more respect for the company.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

By the way, thanks for always understanding, guys.

I don't want you to think I use you like this:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

Took me a second to get who that is. That's pretty good.

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

Speedball posted:

Why not? This is awesome! Assuming you're giving us guns so that we can shoot at superspies.

In all seriousness, it's cool man. You've given us so much entertainment that it's only fair that we give back.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, you know, as long as we don't get attacked by Bees yeah totally :ocelot:

Your self awareness about it does help though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speedball posted:

Does that mean Big Boss will come to CQC us into unconsciousness?
:ocelot: grab an autograph for us too sir :ocelot:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

RickVoid posted:

Took me a second to get who that is. That's pretty good.

I didn’t figure it out until this post, and then the meow and the hat clicked for me somehow.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

I didn’t figure it out until this post, and then the meow and the hat clicked for me somehow.

So, if you want to see some awesome comics that span MGS 1-3 as well as Persona 3 and some of Persona 4, look up Hiimdaisy, who now works under the name Gigidigi (or Gigi D.G.). They're all that level of funny.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Huh. That's the same person? I have their webcomic bookmarked, and I didn't even know it was the same person.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Huh. That's the same person? I have their webcomic bookmarked, and I didn't even know it was the same person.

She doesn't want to be she is sick of people begging her to do her old comics again.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Rumda posted:

She doesn't want to be she is sick of people begging her to do her old comics again.

And there's a problem with being popular, if you do something other than what was popular, people are likely to ask "we want you to do what you used to do!" and that sort of thing. I doubt Speedball will have that problem, since Lp's are usually varied due to their nature, and you can usually only Lp something once, and if you tried to Lp it again people would be like "what are you doing?". Of course, some games, like CIV this isn't a problem due to being able to play different nations and such, but you get the idea. Point is, not many people are going to be like "I loved you LP, I want to do the exact same Lp again". Essentially, with Lp's changing style a bit between Lp's is not likely to get people begging for the old style, or whatever.

Course, if Speedball stops doing Lp's in order to focus on his comic and stuff, I imagine some people would complain then (and some would want to complain but be too polite to, I confess I would be one of them), but he would be well within his rights to do that if he wanted.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

And there's a problem with being popular, if you do something other than what was popular, people are likely to ask "we want you to do what you used to do!" and that sort of thing. I doubt Speedball will have that problem, since Lp's are usually varied due to their nature, and you can usually only Lp something once, and if you tried to Lp it again people would be like "what are you doing?". Of course, some games, like CIV this isn't a problem due to being able to play different nations and such, but you get the idea. Point is, not many people are going to be like "I loved you LP, I want to do the exact same Lp again". Essentially, with Lp's changing style a bit between Lp's is not likely to get people begging for the old style, or whatever.

Course, if Speedball stops doing Lp's in order to focus on his comic and stuff, I imagine some people would complain then (and some would want to complain but be too polite to, I confess I would be one of them), but he would be well within his rights to do that if he wanted.

:goonsay:

Does anyone have a good link for the hiimdaisy stuff? Tried to find it a while back, but didn't have much luck. Gigidigi and Cucumber Quest are pretty great, if anyone here hasn't read that comic. Need to catch up on that, I've put it down for about a year now.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

RickVoid posted:

:goonsay:

Does anyone have a good link for the hiimdaisy stuff? Tried to find it a while back, but didn't have much luck. Gigidigi and Cucumber Quest are pretty great, if anyone here hasn't read that comic. Need to catch up on that, I've put it down for about a year now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/ylw2i/all_of_hiimdaisys_original_lets_destroy_parody/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YH3o2pf-Bc

She also did some comics for other things, but this should do the trick for MGS.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
In case anyone is curious, XCOM 2 is at Gamescom and the first piece of footage released from the event is a preview of the new base management and research trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un9YdJl5-uk

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

So, if you want to see some awesome comics that span MGS 1-3 as well as Persona 3 and some of Persona 4, look up Hiimdaisy, who now works under the name Gigidigi (or Gigi D.G.). They're all that level of funny.

Obligatory Persona 4 comic link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7lj9qI8VFc

It's a shame she stopped doing the Persona 4 one because she wanted to move on and do more Cucumber Quest instead. Oh well, what we got in that comic before she moved on was still great.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 7, 2015

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

ReturnOfFable posted:

In case anyone is curious, XCOM 2 is at Gamescom and the first piece of footage released from the event is a preview of the new base management and research trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un9YdJl5-uk

Shame that Shen died, but glad to hear that we get his daughter and that making the Avenger was his final legacy.

Yeah, that seems about right. I do have a tendency to ramble after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
man how did i not know this LP existed. Read through all 67 pages in the past three days, kudos to you speedball for doing an amazing job playing this out on a narrative level. It's real interesting to see.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thanks! Haha. Things are getting better fast around here, thank goodness, so you won't have to wait long for the next one. It should be up Monday.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Speedball posted:

Thanks! Haha. Things are getting better fast around here, thank goodness, so you won't have to wait long for the next one. It should be up Monday.

I can hardly wait! I've spent so long modding Long War that the last time I tried to play Vanilla EW I lost like 4 countries in the second month. So it's fun to see someone else go through all of this and show the fun parts and build character. It's a nice contrast to Jade's LP, and has really found its own niche.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Jesus I can't believe enemy unknown came out in 2012 (Insert smiley of a long bearded man in a wheelchair here that I swear used to be here)

So I went into XCOM2's webpage and JESUS, LOOK AT THE MUTON

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 8, 2015

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Siegkrow posted:

Jesus I can't believe enemy unknown came out in 2012 (Insert smiley of a long bearded man in a wheelchair here that I swear used to be here)

Shepard.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I admit, the New Krogan is the only showcased enemy I don't like the look of so far.

Just because I feel like they spliced it with Jack In The Box DNA with that ribbed neck. I feel like I should be able to push down on it's head to click it into place, and then push a button for it to pop out like a Ghostbusters Action figure or something.

The rest of it is pretty nice though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Siegkrow posted:

I-it.. its so cute! It seriously looks like a baby anime muton

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We Gears of War tiem now, gaiz.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Siegkrow posted:

This one :corsair:?

And wow, the new Muton does look like a Krogan. Though the image name suggests he's some sort of alien hero unit? Or maybe it's just an upgraded one with a different name, like the Muton Elites in this game.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 8, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Siegkrow posted:

Look at the spikes on that plasma rifle. What alien was in charge of designing that?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

64bitrobot posted:

Look at the spikes on that plasma rifle. What alien was in charge of designing that?

:orks: :orks101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

64bitrobot posted:

It might not have been an alien who designed it. Remember, the game takes place after the Earth has already been taken over. It might have been designed by some of their human minions.

"WHY DOES MY WEAPON HAVE TEETH, SLAVE?"

"Because it's intimidating and so you can hack off the limbs of insurgents who get too close?"

"... I KNEW THERE WAS A REASON WE DIDN'T REDUCE YOU TO A MEAT SMOOTHIE."

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

64bitrobot posted:

Obviously an awesome one! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I actually thought Gears of War first :smithicide:

• Locked thread