Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

chiasaur11 posted:

And she's so good at what she does.

Admittedly, a lot of what she does is banned under the Geneva convention, but you just don't have the heart to bring that up when she's having so much fun.

Luckily the aliens never signed the Geneva convention. Or if they did, their infiltrators never sent us proof, and that's good enough for Vahlen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Feinne posted:

Say, for example, that both their arms and legs were cut off for being terrible at shooting guns.

At that point it wouldn't matter, though. I think we're talking more about mission profiles, so to speak.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm gonna have to go with the eye-rolling option and say that I love all my little classes equally. Some of them may have more spectacular moments than others, but none of those moments would happen if they weren't all there to help.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I figure it's a few hours to get the Interceptor over to Africa, but then three days to jury-rig a hangar, call in the pre-screened ground crew, set up the anti-detector shields...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Alright, I'm asking now mostly to get it out of the way. Who IS this 'Commander'? He's been through this crap 'before' and he knows things he should not know. He's just made a prediction on UFO activity that's apparently so good the Mouth of the Council is accepting it blind rather than calling BS.

Fine, he might be a veteran of 'The Bureau', but it sounds like there's more to this story.

..This is not a complaint on this guy. I fully expect he will become even stranger and am even looking forward to it a little.

The commander is very possibly the main character of The Bureau, or else he's one of three other protagonists who may or may not have survived the game's ending; there are a few different ways it can go, and I figure Speedball is being vague so that any of them could potentially be canon.

Then again, it's hard to believe that half of them could still be alive. The youngest of them was in his 30's as I recall, and there's a gap of 50-60 years between The Bureau and XCOM.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Night10194 posted:

You've really gotta stop losing people... This is the X-COM where losing anyone is a terrible blow, after all.

It's all still part of the game, though. That's why they kill off three of your rookies in the tutorial. You're gonna carry that weight...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

My usual seeker tactic is to move the squad together and make sure everyone's got line of sight to each other. That way when it strikes everyone nearby will get a shot at it and blow the drat thing to kingdom come before it can attach. The other main tactic is to locate the thing by finding a "blind spot" when trying to move; if you can't move to an otherwise clear location, it's because something is in your way. At that point, you can just huck a grenade and blow its cloak off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, I am using this to be my present method for dealing with Seekers, though I am wishing for just a little less overkill when things step into Overwatch range. I am liking the Sentinel talent for the second Overwatch shot, though.

There is no "overkill." There is only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Andy Waltfeld posted:

No, that's Blasphemaster. There's too little heavy metal in this thread for them to be one and the same.

Did somebody call?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They don't seem to be as terrifying as they were in the original, where (if I recall correctly) they combined absurd movement range with a) not needing to kill targets to convert them, and b) converting them into more Chryssalids rather than into shamblers.

I've heard that the hit rates for psionics were tweaked between EU and EW; I played EU and they were patently absurd in that game.

Chryssalid targets are zombified, but the thing about UFO Defense zombies is that they explode into chryssalids if you so much as wing them. They'll do that on their own after a few turns, but the thing about zombie hunting is that instead of ending a threat you would only bring your doom upon yourself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Keeping him a normie sounds best. The grizzled veteran always plays his part best when he's a little removed from the craziest action.

And not only can Zhang do the late-game thing, but he can also do the end-game thing. I don't really get the hate for him myself; his characterization is completely limited to the one mission we just saw (and unique action lines, oh boy) and it's easy enough to just bury him on the deployment chart if you want.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

The only reason to not start there is that it's a really small continent you can capture early on (and the countries don't give a lot of money); conversely, some of the benefits of starting in a three or four-country continent is that you get the benefit very quickly on and don't have to wait a month or two to lock it down.

That said I freaking LOVE We Have Ways.

There's also a definite advantage to starting in Africa and throwing the first satellite up over America.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Snakemen didn't appear in The Bureau, but there are references to the Thin Men being very reptilian both in bone structure and skin (you can see it around their collars and cuffs if you look close enough).

I believe that Thin Men were always intended to be references to Snakemen from the get-go.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Even if the interrogation isn't fatal, what else would they do with a live alien? Throw it in Gitmo for indefinite detention? Ain't no alien signed the Geneva Conventions, plus most of them have had their ability to make moral decisions surgically or genetically removed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Satellites loving everywhere

And also Aliens should be required viewing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Well yeah. I mean, sure it sucks having half your body removed, but your body is now a loving jetpack. If you don't have fun flying around with it, what are you living for?

Quite literally nothing at that point.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jump good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

So ideally Adrenal Neurosympathy would mean you'd never need coffee again?

I would enjoy that.

I think it's more that so long as you maintain a steady diet of coffee, none of your coworkers will ever need caffeine again.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I believe that mission gets a lot easier if you blow up all the sharks and the whale during the approach by using grenades, rockets, and Collateral Damage.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know something funny? Elerium is element number 115, and that particular number was chosen because Bob Lazar claimed that element 115 was the secret power source of the UFO's stored in Area 51 back in 1989.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Hey you're gold now, I think your half-joking plea to vote for the thread worked

It often happens as soon as someone mentions it. That's the power of awareness, I suppose.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Rumda posted:

There's always a reason why people get involved in psychology.

Specifically, to figure out what the hell is wrong with themselves.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

Working on story proposal for sci-fi anthology, except I'm afraid I am going to get totally outclassed. I've got great ideas and am working with a better artist who is amazing, but one of the confirmed contributoris the Kill Six Billion Demons guy and there are 70 known submissions at this time. Also this editor has rejected me in the past. I was excited a week ago but right now it seems hopeless.

If you don't think you'll get in, then don't do it for the sake of getting in. Do it for the experience. Do it so that you can say you tried. And if you do actually get in, well, that'll be a nice little bonus.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'll give some advice I've given in a previous thread: if you don't want to deal with EXALT attacks, then make sure you scan for activity roughly every fifteen days. It costs a bit to be proactive, but not as much as it costs to let EXALT rampage unchecked.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

When Hugo died first, I did a double-take. So was that a repurposed failure run or did you actively kill half the team to get the footage?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Tachikoma SHIVCom :kimchi:

That actually reminded me of the Portal turrets instead.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

What the hell kind of video game do aliens even play?!

Mind games.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

JT Jag posted:

You probably have an A and B team in mind, 8-12 characters who will be getting most of the missions. If I were you, I'd be giving them all the mods, but spreading them around relatively fairly.

Zinchenko gets nothing.

Nah, Zhang gets to be the normal one. Zinchenko gets the mods that let him kill things without a sniper rifle.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Stephen9001 posted:

And those are?

Neural Feedback, obviously, and then Secondary Heart and Adaptive Bone Marrow for survivability, Mimetic Skin to sneak around to good grenade-tossing locations, and Hyper Reactive Pupils to compensate for when his first pistol shot inevitably goes wide.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Ah yes, got to love how useful the EXALT data always turns out to be. I got so sick of having "They aren't in Europe" messages that always showed up after the UK, Germany, and France had already been eliminated that I eventually save-scummed to find the drat base once there were three options remaining.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Apparently floaters can be poisoned by Thin Men clouds. Huh.

e:Also, my game seems intent on stuffing my barracks with Assaults. I've got 5 after turning 1 into a MEC, and I just got a council mission that gives me yet another assault. I've only got 1 sniper, support, and heavy each.

I'm pretty sure the first four promotions are guaranteed to unlock the four basic classes, so that is some crazy specific luck you've got there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Really the key is to make sure that all your soldiers are wearing all the equipment you've got just as soon as you clear out the alien base. I abused the hell out of that "clear all" button on my first EW run...did not result in the easiest base defense.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

My strategy is to wait until the end of the month and, if doing so would prevent a nation from leaving XCOM, only then perform the alien base assault. If it should never prove necessary, then I put off the assault until I've got all the satellites and goodies I desire.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know, it makes sense that the EXALT cell is in France; that's probably the one that was trying to steal Annette from the aliens.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Speedball posted:

That said, of course I'm excited. And there can be snakewomen. Most snakes don't even have arms, you think I'm going to make a fuss over secondary sexual characteristics?

Plus it's not like genetically modified aliens have to adhere to Terrestrial zoology.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

pun pundit posted:

Plasma is nothing new to Exalt, they've been fighting aliens after all. When you get alloy cannons, though...

I kind of wonder what the aliens think when that shows up. "Is that the best thing you could think to do with our extremely high tech metals? Really?"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Luhood posted:

Calling it now, Annette will turn up negative for Psionics and will have to be explained away with her not being able to control them or something.

That said, you keep up your good work Speedball! I always enjoy returning here and seeing new updates.

I'm pretty sure Annette (and her buddies) is a guaranteed positive, basically something to ensure that you can proceed with the plot even if you pick the "psionics are rare as hell" Second Wave option and get unlucky.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

RickVoid posted:

Fortunately we're super good at balancing that poo poo out. One group gets out of control, another is there to shut them down. Of course, that goes both ways: If we solved all of the world's problems by the end of the day, we'd have created a bunch more by the time the sun came back up.

It's not even that simple. Every solution is someone else's problem.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Is XCOM 2 supposed to be a direct follow-up to XCOM 1 or is it more a "what if the project failed" take on things? Because from what I've seen it looks as though XCOM kind of failed its stated mission in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think it's someone playing devil's advocate in order to push us into creating a highlight reel. Perhaps we should?

• Locked thread