Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
So is Kratos actually based on someone from Greek myth I've just never heard of or did they just make him up for the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

Skippy Granola posted:

Stories diverge a bunch, but the usual tale goes Orpheus was such a skilled musician that he could charm the birds from the sky etc etc.

I've heard that he was so great as music that he managed to charm Persephone, Hades' wife, to tears and she basically begged him to give Orpheus his girl back in exchange that she would stay in the underworld with him longer that year. I want to say there's at least one version of the tale that sets him as a bastard kid of Apollo and a mortal woman and his musical talents coming from his dad.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
My highschool library had a copy of Bulfinch's Mythology and it was the best i could do to skim through it since it's a very difficult read. It's a good source but it's not the easiest to pick up and read.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012

tlarn posted:

There's a novelization of the Dante's Inferno game, that one God-of-War-like game that came out a month before God of War 3 that everyone forgot about.

For whatever reason i was super hyped about that game back in highschool and got it day 1 and oh man was that game ever awful. There was no reason at all to ever put more than a few points into the melee tree because ranged was super broken and spammable, which is kind of the opposite of GoW from what i can remember because ranged is usually bad and/or very situational.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
It's really showing how much attention i paid to GoW 1 since i barely remember playing any of this let alone the prisoner frying. I guess 2, 3, and the 2nd PSP game left a better impression on me.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Army of Hades is probably one of my favorite spells in the series it's just really fun to use and watch ghosts wreck everything. I'm still waiting for them to announce that they're done with Kratos and are moving on to a new "dude murders another pantheon" game because they've basically run out of things to kill from Greek mythology.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I always get he harpies confused with the furies, the other part lady/part winged animal monster that i don't think show up in the series unless they just replace harpies in one game or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Hades is still one of the most memorable parts of GoW 1 for me mostly because of those drat flaming Satyrs and the weird bladed pillar climbing segment.

• Locked thread