Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Empress dead, princess kidnapped and us stuck right in the middle of it. Revolution is oncoming as the throne is quickly filled by the very men who arranged the assassination and kidnapping. But what if I told you the revolution could be thwarted and the rightful heir to the throne restored in under an hour? I'm sure Corvo is thrilled. It will be a short painful journey filled with levitation, plenty of teleporting and half-assed assassinations. All in the name of Corvo's burning desire for revenge as long as it is convenient.

The LP

Dishonored allows for many different playstyles, stealth only, action runs, magic and no magic. Unfair made a very in-depth series on Dishonored and showed off many of the small details that makes Dishonored so fun to play through for the first time. But what about every other time? I have beaten Dishonored more times than I can count and still love to play through it, sometimes several times in one day. I want to show Dishonored for what makes it so much fun for me. By using speedrun routes and strategies I plan to show off the often hilarious chaos that ensues in the name of trying to beat the game with reckless abandon while still giving it a Dishonored feel. Because this means some levels will be going by so quickly, I have decided against my usual informative LP style as it would essentially turn into a speedrun walkthrough. I have instead opted for a Freeman's Mind narrative from Corvo's perspective to showcase the insanity of a story done as quickly as possible. Of course I will be slowing it down a bit to keep the LP from lasting only 40 minutes, I want to show off what makes the game fun for me not break a world record.

Feedback

Given that I typically LP in a more informative style, this is far from my usual style of commentary (and seems to be fairly rare for LPs in general). Let me know what you think. I'm working hard to make it entertaining and I'll keep doing my best to improve.

Videos

Fan Stuff

What Corvo doesn't realize is that over the years many prototypes of The Heart have been made to appeal to a wider range of audiences. Perhaps he should look into getting an upgrade.
We have those appealing to the very young

Those that appeal to those looking for a hip retro feel

And it's even been in in popular media across the nation

Made by TyreForHyre

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Umm... How does this high jump trick work, actually?

Dishonored is kind of weird with how it calculates climbing. Basically when there is a corner bent at 90 degrees and perpendicular to the ground, the game thinks it is an infinite climb spot. So you get the angle right by jumping diagonally towards it and hold space so you climb it all the way up. The section in the courtyard with the Empress works because there is an invisible wall above the fence at that spot, so you can climb it all the way up.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Joe, this is straight up the funniest thing you've done. The Stalker videos were pretty great too, but the characterization in this is slaying me. Well done! :D

Thanks a lot, man. This is way different from anything else I've done so it's good to hear that you enjoyed it so much.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Every rose has its thorn. Or a still beating heart that likes to whisper things to you.

Also, thanks a lot you guys for the great feedback. Was pretty nervous about doing a LP like this but the response has been really good so I'm getting a bit more comfortable with it as I go.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Thank god for Sam's neck of tungsten.

Also, sorry for the lack of recent updates guys. Been balancing a ton of things around lately and think I've finally smoothed it all out. I really appreciate the feedback, by the way. Thanks a lot for the support!

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 21, 2014

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Crigit posted:

Corvo is having one hell of a day as a shiny new satan worshiper.

Edit: oh god I just got the pun in the episode title I hate you

The fun doesn't stop once the video ends :D

Sindai posted:

This Corvo's mask should look more like :haw:.

Maybe the new one will. I doubt he'll keep wearing the first one Piero made seeing as how it shaved his ears off.

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I hope Sam gave Corvo at least two thumbs up for his accomplished way of assassinating that guy. Forgot his book, though.

From the shape of his nose, I'm pretty sure Corvo pancaked it on his landing. So maybe Sam isn't exactly too thrilled about it right now.

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 21, 2014

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

Do you use speed-running techniques to get through these areas? A lot of these sequences look really loving fast and well-rehearsed. You teleport like a maniac.

Yep. Those geometry breaks in part one are known as the elevator glitch, the first one was to skip the cutscene with Emily (basically only saves a few seconds) and the second one by the Empress is to make the enemies instantly teleport away since the game thinks you suck horribly and doesn't want you to die in the prologue. The prison skip is obviously the biggest time saver, just walking on the tops of the walls and jumping in the river.

As for the first actual level, there aren't a whole lot of tricks to do there. Just a lot of teleporting. There is also a glitch that the glitch category speedruns use to teleport yourself through the door in Campbell's office so you can just kill him and run out rather than wait for him to unlock the door. But that glitch was patched out and you have to patch your game down to a previous version to use it.

And of course one of my favorite tricks, no fall damage by landing on a person's head. Does Sam mind us breaking our fall on his face, though? Well, not as long as we're crouching. If you land upright on his head and bounce twice, then he'll decide we've gone too far and make us start the level over again. But crouching, you can bounce on his face more than a 9 year old in Halo and he won't care.

ViggyNash posted:

I personally wasn't expecting much after reading the OP (no offense), but I'm glad to be disappointed. You are a goddamn glorious madman.

So, about that book...

Really glad you gave it a chance. What about the OP made you not expect much?

Between taking a key to the eyeball and the glory of decapitation with 40 lbs of draw strength, I'd be surprised if Corvo got the book myself. But nearly Turok'ing a guy's head is sure to make up for it, right?

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would hazard a guess that is seems light on text and maybe doesn't grasp enough attention as other OP's? I dunno, I'm grasping at straws :shrug:

That being said, I'm also glad I looked into this thread and watched your vids. It's absolutely hilarious and breaks the game in ways I never knew. I've been meaning to play this again to try and 100% it, will you be doing the DLC content as well?

Either way, this is definitely a 5 and I eagerly await every new episode.

I'm not sure about the DLC. I've been needing to buy it since I started getting into speedrunning Dishonored. I have heard that the DLC is fun to speedrun, though, so I'll have to look up some stuff about that. Might be difficult since Daud would be another personality to narrate as. But it could be fun, too. I'll look into that and let you guys know when I decide on what to do with that.

ViggyNash posted:

Saying it was a "Freeman's Mind"-like lp. Freeman's mind to me felt like a one-in-a-million success, so a random guy I don't know emulating that made me think it might just end up being spectacularly terrible. But, just maybe, it could just be plain amazing.

And it is. You planned it out perfectly, and the interplay between the silly dialog and the glitch abuse/speed-running madness is wonderful. You far exceeded even the best of my expectations.

Yeah, I could see that. I was kind of hesitant to draw that comparison for that reason. But I'm glad you ended up liking it anyway.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

The game is just giving out relics left and right. Even Grandma and the hookers have them. But at least we get to stop by the Golden Cat :heysexy:

100Dachshunds posted:

5'd. Dishonored is one of my absolute favorite games to PLAY... the story ain't much, but the gameplay is fantastic and so much fun. These speedrun tricks are great, your humor is great, I'm really enjoying this LP. No more month-long breaks, I want to see more!

Thanks for the vote, man. Great to hear you're enjoying it. I'm trying for about an update a week now give or take a few days. But definitely no more month long waits.

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 30, 2014

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

Turbo Corvo is absolutely amazing to watch in action. You can really book it in this game.

They set it up pretty well in this game. With all the relics they throw at you, we've got level 2 Agility (double jump + faster run speed) and level 2 Blink (Blink goes farther) before the second level is even complete. Also, I love it when games give you teleports. Especially if they are spammable like Blink is. That was the one redeeming thing about E.Y.E. That telefrag ability (even though you have to basically grind for 24 hours just to get it). What Corvo would do to have him one of those.

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 5, 2014

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

I guess since we know their secret they aren't going to bother trying to hide it.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

S.D. posted:

With Stokolov now kidnapped, I can finally post one of my favorite videos from that chapter. It's not as pro-speedrun as perochialjoe's, but gets extra points for style.

Why carry him down yourself when you can break time and space?

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Nice of Sam to throw in a little cheerleading at the end there. "Get 'em Corvo!" Is hardly the worst thing to hear after a job well done.

I'm kind of surprised that they bothered recording dialogue for when you fight people near Sam. I figured they would have made people disengage when you get near Sam to avoid the awkward scenario where you fight a guard and Sam just stands off to the side doing his own thing.

double nine posted:

what the hell happened with that dialogue audio? Did you edit the game and if not, how the hell does such a bug happen?

Editing :effortless:

I figured it was more appropriate given the ending of part 4 and that really odd glitch. I've actually never seen that glitch happen before in this game. I guess it's because I got back to Havelock before he got into the area for the cutscene, but I had the objective so it forced him into the sitting and drinking animation. I have no idea.

perochialjoe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2014

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

What happened to the lp btw? Its been a while since the last update.

Still going, I've just been really busy lately and haven't had much spare time. I'll have an update done probably tomorrow.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

All according...ish to plan.

Also just noticed the thread is gold :dance: Thanks for the support all

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

When Corvo's story is over maybe you can do the DLC from Daud's perspective?

That's something I'm looking at. I actually still need to buy the DLC but I've already got some ideas brewing for Daud.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Haha this is hilarious, good job Joe! :haw:

e: What's the spoiler policy around these parts? The OP recommends Unfair's LP, so anything in there should be fair game, right?

I discovered this game through this LP, frontloading the Unfair one as per instruction, marathoned both, and now I have this terrible urge to gush about this amazing game. Hoo boy what a ride! This is extremely my poo poo. It's jam packed with ethical considerations and dilemmas, and choices are rarely easy or right.

Thanks a lot, great to hear you're enjoying it. As far as spoilers go, I'm pretty sure most people here have either played the game or watched a LP of it. Just incase, though, might as well stick to spoiler tags.

Also, will be updating the LP this weekend. I'm about to start learning the speedrunning routes for the DLC as well so we'll be seeing the end of Corvo's adventure and beginning the madness of Daud's pretty soon.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Corvo: End your revolution (or crack a safe) in 30 minutes or your money back... somewhat guaranteed.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Hmm.. Maybe the Empress being assassinated was actually a good thing after all.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Crowetron posted:

You can go right over that wall, are you kidding me?!

Glad to see you back, Joe

Yeah, thankfully. That area sucks to go through normally. Great to be back as well. Lost track of how long I had been gone.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Huh, you didn't have to take the Granny Rags detour?

I never did any of the sidequests so that part doesn't exist.

Shei-kun posted:

The things I keep learning about how you can break this game are amazing.

I look forward to seeing when the game inexplicably shoves your gear back into your hands because there was clearly NO WAY you'd get to that point of the game without it so it just defaults to flagging it back on you.

Pfft beating the game without a sword? You'd have to be some sort of speedy man for that.

EngineerSean posted:

gently caress terry, I'm glad he's dead

I guess this proves that the Whack-A-Rat program really works.

warhammer651 posted:

How the gently caress did you get through that sewer gate? Doesn't it need a key?

If you mean the gate that leads to the area where the people were living, it doesn't need a key if you don't have the Granny Rags sidequest.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

John_A_Tallon posted:

I love how this game turned making soup into an ethics practicum. Pity we don't get to see how your Corvo would have approached it, perochialjoe.

Oh but we did. Corvo isn't a fan of ethical dilemmas. Or ethics. So he skipped it altogether.

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Corvo is such a good person.

Remember to stick around for the DLC. Daud is itching for his turn in the spotlight considering he got all of 2 seconds of in-game time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perochialjoe
Mar 20, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Why did Corvo straight up butcher that one gal? Everyone else (unless the specific target) got to live.

Had to maintain this 'moral ambiguity' he's heard so much about.

HMS Boromir posted:

Would it be possible for you to show off the high chaos version too, or is it not very different when you're blazing through it at the speed of light?

EDIT: If you have a save handy, of course. Quick as it would be for someone with your speedrunning skills I'm not expecting you to do a full playthrough for it.

I don't imagine it would be any different. That section only took 45 seconds to go through and most of the guards didn't even have time to notice me. I'm not sure what's in high chaos but I don't think it would be anything that could screw up that route.

Samovar posted:

So, how long in total did this run take? Must have been just under an hour tops.

It's hard to tell with the cutscenes included. My record is 47:55.9 (glitchless which means I had to actually go through the jail level as well). So it's pretty safe to assume that in terms of time spent in the levels, it was less than an hour especially since I was able to retry all the parts that I normally screw up at (that jump to the window behind Daud is a real pain in the rear end, as can the wall jump in the last level).

Shei-kun posted:

I... I... wow. :stare:

Just wow. The other LP I saw for this took no less than 20 minutes for that last level on the fastest playthrough of it, and that was starting at the point when they get off the boat, not the whole "finding out how to contact the boat and get going to the tower" bit.

Seriously, this was amazing and I loved it.

Thanks a lot, I'm glad people liked this idea so much. We'll see how well Daud handles the power. He did seem a bit more professional than Corvo, maybe he'll even end the LP with his original kneecaps in tact (even though that just puts Corvo ahead in line for the singularity).

• Locked thread