Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I love hatewatching dumb shows so I've been really looking forward to this. I won't be doing live feeds (video rarely works on my computer) but I will be reading updates.

15 minutes in and I think the only person I like is the chili farmer, but he also hasn't said anything yet so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Reading through the thread - if they put this much effort into setting up hidden cameras and having no cameramen, etc. why the gently caress are they intervening so much? Other than to help the animals, they need to just let everyone do what they want. If people want to self evict, make them walk into the woods until they find society or something, it's not that far away.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Well yeah but that's no fun.

Has the Pastor never seen a reality show ever? Every single one has been mostly 20-something sexy people looking for fun.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

this is easily one of the worst things i've ever watched, and i watch lots of reality singing competitions and lifetime movies

Are you my dad? Because that's all he watches. and Ellen.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Glad Aaron made the point that they don't know what killed it (Bella) so they shouldn't eat it.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Yes lets complain to the black people about being treated like a slave

E:Someone go turn it off

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

DakkaUT posted:

I dunno about lawyer guy, I haven't seen him do anything but run the "trial" and even that was pretty poorly done.

The amount of times he said "like" and "uhm" during that should've been punishable.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

This show and watching the stream is loving weird. I don't know how to feel about watching a couple talk to each other like intimate and poo poo.

E: At some point there is going to be a live video feed of blurred out loving and everyone involved is going to be ashamed.

You've never watched Big Brother before, have you?

Brocktoon posted:

I dunno, that isn't necessarily proof that they aren't actors and/or heavily coached. They just seem to blow up at the smallest things for no reason.

"I'd like to bring my bible."
"gently caress YOU AND YOUR BIBLE."

"I think this chicken is probably okay to eat. If you are worried, just don't have any."
"I'LL loving KILL YOU!"

Maybe it's just edited really poorly (probably) or they just cast a bunch of assholes. (also probable)

Also, I don't understand, if they have money and can go outside the compound to get food and supplies, how are they "creating a new society"? Sounds like they're just participating in the one we already have. At that point it's just the Real World without the swanky house.

Keep in mind that all of these people are serious about creating their version of the perfect society. Especially for the first couple of weeks, they're going in there after doing tons of interviews, talking to producers, etc. so they're super determined to have it be perfect. If I'm an atheist who thinks religion has caused most of society's problems throughout history, having a bunch of bibles around is going to go against one of the core values of my utopia.

No Utopian society (of the hundreds that have been attempted) is completely isolated. I think the show did an okay job of that, although they really should have limited what could be bought. People creating a new society bring in the money they have, and that's what is used to buy supplies. If they want to continue to have a bit of money for medical emergencies, to purchase food they can't grow on their own, etc. they have to come up with some way of getting a bit of income. It's often things like selling veggies they grow.

There are over 130 cameras set up over the compound, made to blend in, with no cameramen on set. They are allowed to hunt in the woods, but if they go out for too long (I'm assuming that means overnight) they're considered a walk-off and aren't allowed back in.

All that being said, wtf, a microwave? All of the supplies they could use - please go buy a vet text book or something - and they want to go buy something to replace something they can easily do on their own?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Even if I was an atheist, I think I'd rather have a few bibles around than deal with that meditation stuff. I know mediation can be actually useful but it can also be so pretentious too. Plus if you don't take it as actual gospel, the Bible can be read as an interesting story.

Oh I agree; Hex so far fits how I'd treat it. Plus, something to read, yay. I'd take a whole church over jersey libertarian.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why does everyone need a gimmick in the narration?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I get wanting to be naked but seriously, you are still apart of american society, where nudity is frowned upon and makes anyone uncomfortable. Stop being obnoxious.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

.... chicken transporter?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Utpoia State of Freedom does not understand Health

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Black guy is the most racist person there, apparently?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Yes, buy in bulk, now you have nowhere to store it. USF is going to die from food poisoning or something in a week. Their combined IQ seems to be lower than the total weight of the chickens.

E: "Take as much food as you want" that we bought with the money we stole from you

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

So I just watched and dear god almighty, all of these people are insane. Even the ones who don't appear to be completely stupid or crazy don't seem to have any kind of conflict resolution skills or coping mechanisms. Aaron seemed like the most together guy there for awhile and then he just lost his poo poo on Red. Unless dealing with Red just brings that out in everyone. Its bizarre how quick to anger they seem but maybe that's just an editing thing where realistically we just don't see on the show how they spent hours talking to a wall before they got mad.

It also strikes me how no one seems to even really try to reason with Dave but they try with Red, especially Aaron. Its like Aaron thinks if he just explains it right to Red and shows him respect than it might get through but Dave is a hopeless case who just riles Red's worst traits up.

I think a lot of that stems back to the first day. Red was really reasonable at first and got along with everyone. Dave immediately started flying off the handle about the dumbest things without trying to listen to everyone. First impressions are a big deal.

I'm glad they don't have confessionals, those always seem to have a big impact on how cast members interact with others. They do enough shouting and talking on their own. What would Chris even talk about? Has that boy never seen a reality show? There are ALWAYS cameras to catch you having sex, they know at some point people are going to sneak off to the hay loft to bang or scheme. This is the channel that brought the world Paradise Hotel.

Did they provide condoms to the society, or did anyone bring them?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

I don't think anyone brought and condoms.
The other night Bri was asking production for birth control.

If none of those women brought along any birth control the guys should best stay away because each of them expect Preggers Amanda is fertile as gently caress.

Dumbass, if she hasn't taken it for a few days it isn't going to work now. I hope the show lasts a year just so we can watch her be pregnant by next month and then go through the whole pregnancy, all while Chris freaks out.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Jesus loving christ what a dumb argument. You're going to be here a year (in theory), is it that big a deal if you get two more bananas tomorrow? Were you going to eat 6 bananas tonight?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

hcreight posted:

Red went hunting and brought back a deer on the livestream and of course Bella loving lost it. She claims she's lived off of dandelions, grass, and fruit before. How has she not died of protein deficiency?

To go with their ramen or something? One minute these people are all about not cooking over a fire and needing to order all of their food, and now they're killing a deer. I'm a little confused.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Congrats, casting, you found someone I find more annoying than than Bella

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

Aaron or Kristen or Bri?

If Kristen is the new girl, her

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

you all remember the order they had chosen for the people who can decide what government utopia will have for 3 days? Turns out crazy Bella, who was pretty much at the end of the line, got Bri to swap places with her and is now implementing a Matriarchy.

I cannot wait for this episode.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

What made Aaron and Kristen become so buddy-buddy with each other?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I should probably point out that even though I posted in this thread right before last night's episode, I completely forgot it was on and watched the new episode of Girl Meets World instead.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

So uh the National Geographic channel is currently doing a marathon of all of the episodes that have aired

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

They haven't really been showing bad things about Aaron, but yeah that's messed up that he won't support spending money on "feminine hygiene" products.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Dienes posted:

Frankly I'm shocked Bella wasn't pushing for them to weave maxipads from wild organic grasses.

I am too. There are some great natural ways to make them if you clean them often... but they don't have filtered water so that would be unacceptable.

Trust Red to know the only spot.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Spiky Ooze posted:

One of the cows just gave birth on the feeds to its calf.

On the feed? WTF. I really, really hope their was a vet or farmer or someone there, or at least nearby, because of all the problems that can go wrong. That poor calf is going to die.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think he should get a share of earnings, other than if he helps with tours. He doesn't help with the bees or teach yoga or do whatever else it is they're doing.

My favorite part of last night's episode was near the beginning, when they're showing the utopians talking about stuff and there's random tourists just hanging out in the groups and acting like they belong there.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Oh I agree. It's so absurd.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ha, that's the day I don't watch it.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

So what you're saying is we have you to blame! :colbert:

Nooo, I should have phrased that better, I don't watch it on fridays. Because Amazing Race. Sometimes I get around to watching it later, sometimes I don't.

I'm sad that Mike is in the cool kids group :(

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

I hate everyone on this show, why am I still watching?

Even I stopped watching it, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Sadly no, they just didn't air this week because reasons I can't remember and probably don't care about.

World Series?

• Locked thread