Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This is only Day 1... by Day 20 they'll be sick of each other.

This show has the same premise as "Paradise Hotel" in that people will be removed and added periodically and perpetual.
I don't see FOX devoting an entire year to this though.
If this show lasts through Christmas I'll be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Cows don't swim, right?
There's a vet there (Bri), she would know that.

If you've ever lived or road traveled in the sticks (ie vast farmland) you occasionally go over cow grates. They are put there because cows will not cross them because those dumb dumbs think they will fall through them. Or at least that's what my Wisconsin uncles always told me. For all I know they were clowning me because I am the "city boy".

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The vet Bri and the guitar guy Chris are gonna gently caress at any moment's notice.
Dude was almost full up her shorts into a fingerbang while they delighted by the waterfall.

For all I know it might have happened.

The preggers chick (Amanda) told everyone in the colony.

Bella is straight up insane and had a "restraining order" drawn up by lawyer guy Mike against Sloshy Joshy for getting a bit tanked on the mead and making lewd passes. Crazy Bella later violated the order by backpedaling her accusations in a one-on-one confab with her assailant where she disclosed "yer such a great guy."

Bella is the one to watch... she's a straight up nutter with a victim complex. As long as you piss and defecate on her garden for all important nutrients you are helping the world's cause.

She's dialed some of her neurosis back but it's still there and ready to bubble to a frothy head.

I ain't paying for this poo poo but it's all ready a million mile better than The Derrick/Frankie Show.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Ahh so it was Bella that killed that drat chicken.
That loving chicken dying has started a whirlwind of drama today.

Has Bella copped to it because the biggest point of inquiry right now is if the chicken is safe to eat. They don't know if it died from salmonella or whatever other diseases kills poultry.

Bella is a hot mess and getting on everyone's tits with her Bossy Boots Holier-Than-Thou stance on goddamned everything!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Deer season starts Tuesday... and there have all ready been deer wandering through the compound.

Hex and Red gonna cap some venison!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Edit: Are the premium streams still censored for language? I'm getting audio cuts and that's what I assume they are.
Occasional censors.
They wouldn't show a guy put a caught fish out of it's misery with a rock but no problem showing tits and rear end and dongs when they bathe at the waterfall.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I think they are feeding these people X or Molly cause Christ are they touchy feely.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

The vet Bri and the guitar guy Chris are gonna gently caress at any moment's notice.
Dude was almost full up her shorts into a fingerbang while they delighted by the waterfall.

For all I know it might have happened.
Turns out I was wrong about this. Chris and Bri were down 2 gently caress at first.
Turns out Bri is a major clinger and might as well be called Chris' shadow because she's always there.
Chris has done nothing around the compound except stroke girls' hair, sleep in a hammock and play the guitar. His skillset is glass blowing but he'd need about $500 seed money to get his business going.

The other night productive laboring men were digging trenches and laying down conduit to get the electricity turned on in the compound while Chris sat on his rear end a few feet away and noodled on the guitar about as long as an encore at a Phish concert. Of course, Bri simply sat by his side and bobbed her head like a good band groupie does.

The tipping point to Chris pumping the brakes on getting some nookie from Bri is the fact that while she was in sequester she was known as the village bicycle between her going at it solo and the various members of FOX production all breaking a piece off in her.

Now, Bri continues her desperate Chris cling campaign especially at night when she's crawling all over him and he simply rolls over on his stomach and Bri practically nuru massages him until she grows tired and goes to sleep.

With the Bri/Chris Bangwatch on timeout or outright bust, Lawyer Guy (Mike) and Polyamourous Dedeker are getting closer and are front runners to pop the first Utopia sex cherry. Dedeker has been going about it slow and steady and just about has Mike completely snared. The thing with Dedeker is the Poly part so the question is who does she lure in next with her sex siren song, another man or a woman?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I can only see the evening feeds so today they used their newly charged cordless phone that can only dial like 7 specific numbers. They now have electricity and phoned for their first food delivery.

Hillbilly Red and Prison Dave squabbled about how funds were distributed because both feel they should be able to control their own equal percentage of the $5,ooo seed money however they wish versus a collective. Red and Dave loaded up on ramen noodles while the bulk spend went for beans and rice staples. Chef Aaron dictated that move since he is a food Nazi.

Red and Dave went and buried/hid their ramen somewhere because they are crazy and in it for themselves. Dave and Red stomped on a bunch of other assorted canned goods (pineapples) to show their disdain for how "their" money is being spent wastefully on things they never intend to use themselves. It's been a broken record argument between Red and Dave v. everyone else for days.

Bella is still crazy and is now trying to get clingy on Josh, the guy they almost evicted on Day 1 because he got sloshy drunk. Everyone has figured out she is imbalanced and are ready to create their own gardens simply because Bella has kooky ideas and demands to get her's started.

Lawyer Guy Mike and Polyamourous Dedeker are still on the clock for first Utopia gently caress and are getting even cozier as the days roll by.

But the most fascinating thing tonight was watching a 4 point buck casually munch on all of the grass and plants and seeds in Bella's garden without a care in the world. Little does lil dude know that hunting season is a green light on Saturday (9/6) and Vex has a California deer hunting bag license and a compound bow.

He hopped majestically over a wooden fence to sweet freedom but he'll be back at some point and he's gonna get an arrow to the knee. Once a deer is plugged the animal lovers like Crazy Bella are going to fly off of the handle... instant drama. UTOPIA!

tl;dr - The deer munching on grass was more interesting than the Derr(ick) running the BB house.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

What's the over/under on how long this trainwreak last, I have 3 episodes.
It'll last at least through football season.
FOX will concede that NBC's SNF will dominate the ratings on Sunday night.

The thing is, FOX put up $50mil for the broadcast rights and the concept.
That's a lot of cheddar to eat on a bust.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Trainwreck appointment television...

It only gets worse from here folks.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

^^^ Red with the compound bow near the lake...

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Bella is the root cause for every bit of drama that has happened so far.

They just aren't showing it.
Bella killed the loving chicken feeding them citrus and pomegranate.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm trying to figure out if any of these people don't suck. So far I've got Aaron, Hex, and lawyer guy but I'm sure they'll end up sucking too.
Dedeker is level headed for a hippy dippy chick.
So is Rob but not just yet.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

He said "nigga" which is appropriate for television and top 40 music.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

sleepingbuddha posted:

Someone watching the live stream posted earlier that the vegan survivalist accidentally killed a chicken, trying to feed it citrus. Was this the dead chicken Red through tantrum about
This is true.
She didn't try to feed the chickens citrus, she fed them citrus.

The hen house's biggest detriment is this insane animal lover's involvement in their care.

Bella is a screwball with screwy ideas and a mood pendulum that swings wide and often. Her "chicken tractor" idea isn't far fetched but how she presents it to non-layman persons make it off the wall. Bella is more full of dingy ideas than good ones. Eventually some of the poo poo that falls out of her head is helpful. Everything else is a constant mess of personal insecurities bordering on conspiracy theories.

For a proclaimed survivalist, Bella is wrong on many many things. Even basic things.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 8, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Starsfan posted:

So people who are watching ahead, has any one of them really established themselves as the leader yet? I can't see anything productive getting done until they pick the smartest person amongst them to think for everyone else.
Lawyer guy Mike at first was the goto leader, but as you will soon learn from the broadcasts it's a Herculean task with no upside to it. Unless something has changed over the weekend, Utopia is a rudderless ship with zero direction.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Rancid Liverwurst posted:

So, I may have missed it. What is the payoff at the end of year? What is the incentive to put up with this crap and waste a year of their lives for?
That's the million dollar question. These people are doing this for shits and giggles and the experience (the Screen Actors Guild stipend they are earning doesn't hurt either but that probably has a laundry list of production contract contingencies attached to it before they can collect).

These people uprooted themselves from wherever they came from to possibly spend as much as one year in the Angeles National Forest. The show itself has no grand prize or payout.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

For comparison sake here is the stream for the original version of Utopia (Dutch) which is in month 9 with 3 more to go. It started Jan 1 of this year and will wrap on Dec 31.

These people have a hot tub and full home furnishings. I don't know what they did to earn their income but it appears they are completely self sufficient and have been for quite a while.

I don't foresee our mix of numbskulls ever getting to that point.

http://www.utopiatv.nl/live

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Utopiamadness.com is reporting that Not-Vet Bri and Guitar Guy Chris did the deed in the barn behind the hay bales sometime over the weekend while Polyamourous Dedeker and Lawyer Mike have moved on to giving each other handies while tucked in their sleeping bags.

So, if you had bet money on Bri/Chris being the first Utopia Sex House hook-up you are a winner.

Meanwhile, Dedeker has floated the idea to Bri to consider being open to the possibility of sharing Chris with her. Mike was not amused by this.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

So she isn't an MD?
I doubt it.

Nikki strikes me as those quacks that treat migraines by wearing pyramid hats and meditation and drinking alkaline water.

Nikki is no more a "doctor" than Scientologists are experts of mental well being through their snake oils and parlor tricks.

In her intro she made an effort to say how she could balance people's chakra and another assorted horseshit.
Accredited doctors don't tend to spout nonsense like that, unless they get accredited from the same school as Dr. Nick from The Simpsons.

If she's a doctor then Miss Cleo is bona-fide psychic.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 9, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Starsfan posted:

Like from what I understand from reading the thread they are allowed to leave *for the day* but they aren't allowed to invite anybody else in?
Yeah being gone from the compound longer than some pre-established amount time keeps you gone, you ain't getting back in.

As far as inviting people in they may not be able to specifically invite their friends and family but if they do this yoga/fitness thing they are considering for a business the people that sign up for the class(es) will be allowed on the compound.

It's different than say Big Brother or Survivor where they are removed from any social interactions with anyone else not affiliated with the show. They aren't completely removed from society. What surprises me is that no one has suggested buying one of those doomsday wind-up solar charging radios. They don't have to be completely removed from the rest of world even though they seem to be doing that by choice.

Heck, even a simple NOAA weather radio would be helpful for gardening and planning for the season changes or daily activities. These clowns so far are prepared for gently caress-all. Where they are at is prone to very gusty winds and soon the overnights will be quite chilly dropping into the low/mid 30's easily as soon as Fall/Winter fast approach.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 9, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I think a television would be a no-go. Imagine how far through the looking glass we'll be watching a stream of the Utopians watching themselves on television. Production has to keep somethings behind the curtain.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I don't know if the show conveyed it since I haven't seen it yet but Red droned on and on and on for a full day straight about Utopia State of Freedom. By the time Rob cracked, Red had been punching the same three bullet points for about 20 hours straight to anyone that would listen.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Based on the live feeds I have seen since they moved in, I can say the broadcast show is being very fair with the edits and how they are presented to the viewer. There hasn't been any golden edits to spin certain people a certain way for manufactured drama. That's quite an accomplishment especially for a network like FOX whose every reality show they've aired over the past 10 years has been the "MOST SHOCKING" or "MOST THRILLING" event in history.

The broadcasts have been a straight forward recap of the events that have happened. Sure, they can't show everything but they are hitting all of the main points.

The only hokey thing the broadcast did was that pause during the power-on countdown before the lights came up. When it happened last week the lights just came on.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 10, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

hcreight posted:

From what I've seen of the livestream, Bella is basically the biggest source of conflict for most of the other residents. She came into the show with an agenda, and has been accusing every single person who tells her not to do something of "disrespecting" her. I'm guessing she'll get booted out before too long one way or another.
She is.
Bella is reality show gold but she's a kook that no one wants to work with let alone live with.
She's always on the verge of an emotional breakdown.

That said there are other people higher on the boot list, namely in Aaron and Red.
The broadcast hasn't touched much upon Aaron and his being a food Nazi.
Red is pretty self explanatory as to why everyone wants him gone.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Why boot Josh?
He's the only one around there that works outside of Rob.
Josh has contracting skills, Rob not so much but will do hard labor if told.

Amanda is worthless and will continue to be as her approach date comes closer.

Aaron sleeps all day after cooking and isn't very effective at that.

Chris does nothing but hump Bri and play the guitar.

Mike has the diplomacy skill but does little more than fingerbanging Dedeker in the hammock all day, although he's not against digging a trench. He just needs to be be told, otherwise he's out chasing Dedeker in the hippie flower commune.

Most all of the women are in Summer camp mode.

Bella is a nutter but is doing something in between being bossy and condescending and breaking down emotionally.

Pastor John is a waste of space (but his story is thankfully coming to a close).

Red is an expert at all things but can't be hosed to prove any of it because he's lazy and stuck on USoF.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Big Brother needs to get out of the way and finish and then it's possible Utopia could glean some more eyeballs from there.
There will be people that will still want to scratch that itch when BB goes away and Utopia mostly fits that bill.

BB got a 2.3 overnight rating last night so there are still people watching these types of shows.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Fooz posted:

P.S. How are you guys watching the stream?
Two of the 4 streams are free on the utopiatv.com website.
Sign up for a Free Passport and the 5 minute timelock on the streams are lifted.

The other 2 streams are $5.oo/mo but there are ways around that if you know where to look.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SteveVizsla posted:

Did they provide condoms to the society, or did anyone bring them?
I don't think anyone brought and condoms.
The other night Bri was asking production for birth control.

If none of those women brought along any birth control the guys should best stay away because each of them expect Preggers Amanda is fertile as gently caress.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That drat Satyr posted:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here, but a friend of mine was saying how one contestant was kicked off or something before this even started for trying to bring a cellphone to "look up other contestants on the internet" or some such. True story or no?
True story.

Her name is Andrea Cox, a vegan chef with ridiculously huge fake cans.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Hardawn posted:

Would it be hard to maintain some sort of five second delay if they really wanted to censor that hard?
The feeds are all ready on a delay... 10 minutes to be exact.
Only the 360 degree cam gimmick that is $5.oo/month is the closest to real time but that cam has no audio.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Last night's broadcast dropped even more in the ratings to a 0.7, it lost to a rerun of Tim Allen's show Last Man Standing on ABC.

FOX has a $50mil Titanic on it's hands.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

hcreight posted:

Red went hunting and brought back a deer on the livestream and of course Bella loving lost it.
Cue PETA rage in 3... 2...

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Hardawn posted:

The EP of the show said, AMAZING #Utopia news. Tuesday's show up 56% in the live+3 rating to a 1.4. VERY good sign. Live+3 is one of the most important metrics in TV
That's just television producer parlor tricks to soften the fact that Utopia has dismal ratings.
FOX doesn't give a poo poo about Live+3 DVR ratings because those who watch via DVR skip the ad breaks.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Kiflom!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Of course Bella believes in cloud seeding, black helicopters, Area 51, fluoridated water and fake moon landings.
Did the Utopia producers just comb through the fan forums of George Norry's Coast 2 Coast AM and/or Alex Jones followers to find this loon?

She's absolute television gold and I hope she stays for awhile but goddamn is she a skeptic on loving everything!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

SteveVizsla posted:

Congrats, casting, you found someone I find more annoying than than Bella

Aaron or Kristen or Bri?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Mike has been turning into a cowardly douchechill lately.
Aaron and Kristen are vile.
They spent all day today playing the race card on Josh.

Aaron needs to go go GO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

FOX has a huge problem across the board with their programming.
None of their shows are hitting high marks.
They may have to settle with 4th place for a while to retool.

NBC was most recently in that hole and found a way to dig out.
Now it's FOX's turn.
American Idol and X Factor aren't going to save them, both shows are played out and stale.

Utopia has a potential to breakout but the problem is they casted a bunch of lazy idiots.
The people in there are generally insufferable fuckwits.
They are getting worse and are only 3 weeks in.
No one has created a business plan to make money, their $5,ooo seed money is just about exhausted and they haven't received their first utility bill yet.

In 2 weeks or less the Utopians will be wishing to become a welfare state.

• Locked thread