Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
Never been totally clear on this. A lich is like, an undead wizard? A necromancer? Someone who does "black magic"? Please clear this up, god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
a bitch

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Something about putting their souls in a safety deposit box so they can't die I think.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Concordat posted:

Something about putting their souls in a safety deposit box so they can't die I think.

So is Voldemort a lich? Thats exactly what he did.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Yeah except I think their body is literally an animated cadaver or skeleton.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
liches are what necromancers want to be when they grow up

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Hello OP. A lich is a wizard who takes his soul and puts it in a jar, and now he can't die unless the jar is destroyed.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Ragg posted:

Hello OP. A lich is a wizard who takes his soul and puts it in a jar, and now he can't die unless the jar is destroyed.

Hi Ragg! So that sounds like exactly what Voldemort did so i'm 90% sure Voldemort is literally a lich, which is weird because I swear they never used that word in ny of the Harry Potter books.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Skylark posted:

Hi Ragg! So that sounds like exactly what Voldemort did so i'm 90% sure Voldemort is literally a lich, which is weird because I swear they never used that word in ny of the Harry Potter books.

Sounds like JK Rowling is a hack whole stole liches from Gary Gygax without attribution, but I guess its not quite the same cuz voldemort split up his soul into different pieces. But its basically the same so yeah. He's basically a lich.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I never really thought about it until this thread.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Skylark posted:

Never been totally clear on this. A lich is like, an undead wizard? A necromancer? Someone who does "black magic"? Please clear this up, god bless.

Talk about :can:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

isnt it a fruit

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The exact definition of a Liche (please try to use the proper spellings for wizards, sorcerers, and magick-users in the future) is a necromancer who has advanced his study of necromancy so far, he's figured out how to separate his soul from his body and bind it into an object, called a phylactery. This makes him immortal, cause even if his body keep aging and he just becomes like, a skeleton dude his soul is still around somewhere. Hope that cleared this up, OP!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
And yeah, Voldemort's basically a lich.

Dec 26, 2012

Ragg posted:

Sounds like JK Rowling is a hack whole stole liches from Gary Gygax without attribution, but I guess its not quite the same cuz voldemort split up his soul into different pieces. But its basically the same so yeah. He's basically a lich.

i believe this is the case op

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
voldemort would have been a lot cooler if he was a skeleton instead of just a really pale guy without a nose.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
he was just a lich with a shitton of cosmetic surgery

most liches are goony and solitary by nature, but he actually wanted to draw some followers and thus the focus on looking his best despite being walking death personified

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Ragg posted:

You raise an interesting point... So were litches actually first invented for Dungeons and Dragons? I thought all the monsters in that were traditional and existed in various folk traditions or whatever.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Skylark posted:

You raise an interesting point... So were litches actually first invented for Dungeons and Dragons? I thought all the monsters in that were traditional and existed in various folk traditions or whatever.

quote:

Gary Gygax, one of the co-creators of Dungeons & Dragons, stated that he based the description of a lich included in the game on the short story "The Sword of the Sorcerer" by Gardner Fox.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
lich
warlock
wizard
mage
magician

that's the hierarchy of wizardry for nerds

if you get soemone who flashes you they lich card, you best take them seriously

otherwise they playing

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
if you're a lady attuned to magic then it goes:

witch
wizard
mage
magician

if you pull this poo poo off in europe (north lancashire) you might be able to slide 'conjurer' into the middle of there - it's so rare, though

fortune tellers, psychics, and mystics need not apply

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

matrix ripoff posted:

lich
warlock
wizard
mage
magician

that's the hierarchy of wizardry for nerds

if you get soemone who flashes you they lich card, you best take them seriously

otherwise they playing

0____o

You're talking like a black guy, but I highly doubt someone black would be into this stuff.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Skylark posted:

0____o

You're talking like a black guy, but I highly doubt someone black would be into this stuff.

Black people can be nerds too

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Skylark posted:

0____o

the people on this forum are crazy, dude

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Skylark posted:

0____o

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

He writes just the same way he talks: a black man from the ghetto who plays videogames.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
I just realized this song is exactly the opposite of everything liches stand for. Its good to not be a lich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?Su2jltmOITU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
where are sorcerers in the hierarchy

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

hope everyone itt knows lich is pronounced 'like' irl. met alot of dumb 'gamers' who didnt know and tried to prove me wrong. only thing they proved wrong was that they were casual scum who didnt know proper english and played in easy mode in warcraft III.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

hope everyone itt knows lich is pronounced 'like' irl. met alot of dumb 'gamers' who didnt know and tried to prove me wrong. only thing they proved wrong was that they were casual scum who didnt know proper english and played in easy mode in warcraft III.

god drat that pisses me off

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I once heard someone pronounce it "Lick"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

LaTex Fetish posted:

i lich this post

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
its pronounced Litch

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hoodrich posted:

its pronounced Litch

maybe it depends on if you're American or British, like with lichen.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
In all of the Warcraft Games (Post Warcraft 3 which is the firs tone with Undead), Its pronounced Litch. So thats how its said.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
liches aint nothing but spells and bones

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTnUpYVPAVY

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Hoodrich posted:

In all of the Warcraft Games (Post Warcraft 3 which is the firs tone with Undead), Its pronounced Litch. So thats how its said.

This is correct.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
Liches get stitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hoodrich posted:

In all of the Warcraft Games (Post Warcraft 3 which is the firs tone with Undead)

there were death knights in Warcraft before Warcraft 3

god you loving kids

• Locked thread