Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

and vote Labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Frogmanv2 posted:

Synopsis of Clives latest for the YouTube impaired please.

1st. It was long and boring and he reads from the paper like a year 9 presentation. He basically said 'gently caress you lot on my watch!'.

2nd. It was 10 seconds of Clive reading from the paper again saying 'we declare war on the co-payment, please tell us Mr health minister why you are poo poo?' and then the remaining 95% of the run time of the clip is a Liberal mp talking poo poo and I got angry.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BBJoey posted:

At least they're not targeting shitposts yet.

Even if they were they'd be tied up with GBS anyway.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So the mining tax repeal has also lead to a bunch of small business tax concessions being scrapped.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

I mean, every employer that I know goes "hey, we decreased costs, I'll pass that onto my employees in the form of a payrise" all the time.

Of course, the wealth trickles down don't you know?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Some of you know really dumb people.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Serrath that was a good post, very informative. Thanks.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I called them pingers the other day and was called gramps!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Palmersaurus posted:

Was it part of a rambling speech about how you didn't need crystal to have fun back in your day?

I don't remember, but that reminds me :bahgawd:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Stick it next to another rfid card and neither will work properly!

This is the correct answer if you think someone's gonna wave something at your butt and steal your money.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

WebDog posted:

People have a suspicion that it will go off by accident, get farmed by a RFID scanner, or that someone will swipe their card and go off on a shopping spree.
I can potentially see accidental misfires if you have multiple cards in your wallet and you get the wrong one too close when it's asking.

However all clerks have to ask if you want to use paywave. Even if you do get it nicked, your pin will activate if $100 is spent. Pin is still required for anything over that amount.

And even if it is scanned, the transaction has to be completed or rendered void for the next one, you can't inadvertently wave it and do multiple transactions.

If you've used paywave enough you'll know it's hard to accidentally use a card. I had a wallet with all the cards together and I just slide the one I want half out and touch it to the reader and I've never read the wrong card accidentally or had any difficulty.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Seriously at least half the poo poo I've heard about paywave sounds like it was cribbed from an ACA episode.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

You Am I posted:

"What me, gutless?" - Bill Shorten

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Endman posted:

And a godawful snype. drat it.

Not GBS FYI.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Found a job for some vic goons

http://www.seek.com.au/job/27262055?savedSearchID=7640520&

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He countered it by ignoring the point

Playing by the lnp hand book then.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

If you gently caress something up do you:

a) leave it alone and hope it fixes itself?
b) try and fix your gently caress up and try not gently caress it up worse?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Splode posted:

Remind me to never ask for hambeets help with anything :stare:

I like how you both assumed a point I was trying to make, even though I was very careful to not lean one way or the other in my question. So I guess that means you both think people should try and fix up their mistakes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey I'm just *drumroll* asking questions :shrug:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That's good news, I'm about to buy another place to move into.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

After 5 years in Telstra working back of house in the Enterprise, Large/Assigned Business and Small Business areas, I've learn that businesses are REALLY bad at paying their bills. Even really high end customers like certain members of a duopoly tend to be a little on the late side. The amount of stories I heard from friends in billing of businesses crying "BUT I RUN A BUSINESS HOW DARE YOU SUSPEND MY SERVICE!!!". This is why people who say we need to run the country like a business make me laugh, businesses are horribly at always late at paying bills.

In business cash flow is king and the idea is you put off paying your bills for as long as possible and demand the shortest terms on your debtors.

This doesn't change no matter how big you are.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Variable is the most common form of mortgage and has existed for a long time. It's everyone jumping on the line of credit, or what's now called the 'interest only loan', because they're hoping to reap the reward in the capital increase of a property over the x years the intend to sell it in.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mr Chips posted:

What's the longest term you can fix a mortage interest rate for? I can't find much beyond 5 years, and nothing beyond 10.

There are some out there that were doing 10 years, I only know because the place across the road was selling and was thought sold but the buyer had to pull out because they had 7 years remaining on their current place and the bank wouldn't let them go without 10 pounds of flesh.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

Actually most large companies will just sell it off after two months. Much easier and saves the company money and time. I knew a lot of guys who worked in the billing and credit management departments, learnt a good amount from them about how it all works. Small business will tend to hold it longer because they generally don't have in place arrangments with debt collectors, but banks and large companies have no problems doing it.

Also, I'm pretty sure someone in the IPA wanted it to be reported on credit ratings if someone was late for a power/gas/phone/net bill. Imagine how hosed businesses would be.

To your last point: they would just get in line. They're not stretching it out because they don't have the money, they're just stretching it out because they can.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Generally variable is a better option, excluding massive spikes in interest rates. Fixed often have large fees attached to the accounts, poo poo traps like not being able to put extra money into your mortgage, and of course the fix rate is higher than trend.

Banks wouldn't offer them if they didn't make as much money off them.

Fixing is often a gamble on market conditions. If you've got a mortgage and aren't sure what's going to happen hedge your bets, fix half and variable the other.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Mills posted:

The only way you "win" on fixed is if you can predict an increase in rates that the general market can't

And really the banks will always have your number soo.... look to what the banks are doing to see where the market most likely is headed.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey, Brendan O'Connor is hiring. Anidav you're in.

quote:

Electorate Officer B (EOB)
Office of Brendan O'Connor MP
Federal Member for Gorton VIC

Applications are being accepted for the above position based in the Caroline Springs Electorate Office.

As Electorate Officer, you will be responsible for providing assistance to the Member and to constituents of the Gorton Electorate.

Strong written and verbal communications skills, a good understanding of Australian Government and parliamentary processes and superior organisational skills are essential. Previous experience in a political office would be highly regarded.

As Electorate Officer, your duties will include:
• Assisting constituents with Federal matters including immigration and human services
• Managing local media, website and social media presence
• Liaising with community stakeholders to provide community services to Gorton residents
• Writing correspondence, briefs and promotional materials
• Management of volunteers
• Other duties as directed by Member

Experience in community development, social work and communications is highly desirable.

The designation of this position is Electorate Officer B.

In addition to a base salary in the range of $62,895 to $73,431 commensurate with skills and experience, the Communications Adviser will receive an electoral staff overtime allowance, and superannuation of 15.4% of base salary.

A probationary period of 3 months will apply. Occasional travel to Canberra may be required.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CrazyTolradi posted:

That way they can do a Today Tonight style edit to make it look totally different than what it is.

Why would the police lie? They're the police, of course what they say is the truth! If you're upset about this maybe you have something to hide!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

drunkill posted:

Why are we sending troops and fighter jets over to iraq again (i didn't mention the raids yesterday) instead of just increasing humanitarian aid efforts which led to manus island and people in detention here and why they are being locked up so long instead of being processed and integrated into the community quicker. She went on to say that she has public housing efforts here in Melbourne in praharan and armadale and hopes to increase that, big thing was 'we don't want the people smugglers to choose who gets into australia' and I asked about people who fly in and overstay their visas 'well they are sent home aren't they?' *laugh*

Then an old lady came out to talk about nursing and education.

vOv

A good post, but can you expand on that a bit? What was she talking about re: public housing?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

drunkill posted:

That she has secured housing in those two suburbs (in her electorate) for newly settled immigrants. And that she wants more suburban settlement in Melbourne than what is currently happening in Sydney where they are left out on the western fringes of the city without any amenities. She didn't say any numbers of housing (could be 4 public houses for all I know) but she would greatly prefer people to be settled in the city and not out in Casey or past Dandenong.

Which is a fair and admirable goal (the inner city settlement where the services are) but I wasn't aware of any of this happening except for what external NFP's were already doing. If the DHS in Vic is doing this it's a great thing that I want to hear more about.

Cheers.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey muyb when did you sign up for free republic?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I agree. Like everyone who cracked the shits and threatened indigenous protestors who burned the Australian flag at the tent embassy closure in 2012.

Very unhinged.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Gough Suppressant posted:

gently caress off

Lol

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shux posted:

I'm not sure why you decided on that example or if it was an attempt to be edgy or something but yes. Idiots everywhere.

I'm not that sharp, champ.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Shux posted:

Violence and Religion walk hand in hand but Muslims seem to actively search for it at the moment.

One mosque, interested in water play, actively seeking for like minded individuals.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nibbles! posted:

One of their first legislative agendas is to remove mandatory lunch breaks. Good voting NZ

Lol, really? Was this part of their platform during the campaign?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SecretOfSteel posted:

My father got sick and sold his house (for 25k) almost 2 decades ago and a few months back it was on the market for nearly 320K. Can someone point me in the right direction for this? Was it just negative gearing?

Negative gearing, first home owners grants, lovely urban planning (re: density in inner burbs, lack of infrastructure in outer burbs, limited land releases) lack of investment (private or public) outside of the major capital urban areas, self managed super funds, the great Australian dream.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Foreign investment, me tooism / keeping up with the Joneses (re:investment properties), The Block, uh.... Probably forgot a stsck. That should start you off.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MiniSune posted:

Also state governments massively marking up land to then onsell to decelopers who then mark it up further helps as well.

Ohh yes, vic govt did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

So Vic Pol not releasing crime stats until after the election so that they aren't politicized, is this a legit thing to suggest? I remember Overland being embroiled in allegations that he released misleading data on the lead up to the 2010 election which ultimately led to him stepping down.

• Locked thread