Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd like to see Leites fight Jacare. It is also interesting to contemplate what it would look like to put Leites 2014 up against Silva 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sportsgenius86 posted:

It seems to me like even when there's a solid fight/finish on a lot of these shows, people end up remembering a fight more than a fighter, if you get what I mean.

Yes. I'll never forget Nik Dennis's savage standing elbow ko, but it wasn't until I read about his history and his retirement from the sport that I was able to attach a personality to that violence.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My expectation for Cain-Werdum is that it will be a next-generation mma version of Fedor-Nog I.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The look on Overeem's face after the fight last night was pretty tough for me to watch. Inside of Chiesea's skull? No problem. Watching Overeem get clobbered in the cranium by a samsquatch? I'd do it again a million times. But that look of disappointment and defeat there looked like he had hit the absolute rock bottom of sadness and self - you could see him struggling to come to terms with the fact that he would never become HW champ. Fuuuuck.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sprecherscrow posted:

Why didn't they just do it in the first round instead of Overeem/Werdum? Did Fedor's management refuse it?

It was an informal seeding thing. They wanted to set up a Reem/Fedor final.

edit. nm. they were int he same bracket weren't they-

dc/reem
werdum

silva
fedor

sergei
arlovski

barnett
rogers

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cain Velasquez < JDS < Joaquim Ferreira < Damian Grabowski < Cole Konrad.

HW mma math is the best.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Rin wrestle the poo poo out of Miesha for three rounds. Rin's been protected and the beneficiary of weird Japanese rules, but Miesha is really not that great.

I look at Meisha as something of an obsolete model who has been left behind by the advances in the division, much like it became clear that Nog was at around the time that he fought Cain. There isn't really any denying that she was at one point at top of things, but the bar has moved well beyond her reach. She's still going to be good enough to beat other veterans from that era or to trounce the Brendan Schaubs of w135, but she's more significant now for her marketability (which she has) than for any actual competitive relevance.

I suspect that we'll see increasing layoffs between her fights and increasing presence at the commentary desk, going forward.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rin Nakai may end up being the greatest freak show spectacle that the UFC has ever seen. She will win TKO (Dazzled opponent with luxury).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't want to rain too much on the Horiguchi train, as that fight was sweet and he did look good, but I feel compelled to point out that his UFC opponents have a combined record of 1-6 at the time of the fights, and that one guy with a win was Dustin Pague, and it came against a guy who went 0-3-done.

He needs to go against someone like Ray Borg, Josh Sampo, or Turkish Delight before he even moves up to the Louis Gaudinots and Tim Elliots of the division. You know, someone who has demonstrated an ability to actually win a fight in the UFC.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah nobody is calling for a title shot. Although if they're giving them out to Cariaso it could go to any warm bodies.

If they want to build him into a contender and The Future Of Japanese MMA, they might want to do it cautiously. Something about him makes me worry that he'll be one of those fighters who looks invincible for a while before getting exposed and becoming the butt of jokes. Perhaps I just want to see that fun ride drawn out a bit before someone like Zach Makovsky puts him on his back and takes a 30-27 from him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really wanted Rin to win, ideally by suplex KO. It would have been the funniest thing ever - the conquest of weird. The longer the fight went on, the more I desired it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EvanSchenck posted:

I keep hoping for a fighter to say something like "My opponent was the better man that night, gonna train hard moving forward and work my way back up" but it almost never happens and it would probably seem fake if it did.

Isn't that basically what bendo said after his losses to RDA and Pettis?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

origami posted:

I think religious folks probably excel in athletics because they have more dumb confidence in themselves.

I'm not sure it's confidence in themselves, I think it's more of a reduced ego. If it's all in God's hands, all you can do it just go in there and do your best, and whatever will be. That helps them stay relaxed, to not overthink stuff, and just perform. Maybe it's just another way to get to a "Zen" mindset.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

I actually appreciated the insight into what caused Felice Herring's major malfunction

seconded

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Mark Hunt is super mormon and someone asked why polynesians seem to be super mormon. It's almost as though we can discuss aspects of our favorite fighters that aren't 100% related to their punching abilities. If it wasn't so, you should be making the same post after every time Jon Jones is discussed, because most of that discussion is generally off-topic by your standards.

He's ex-Mormon. (Born-again) Christian now. (Yes, different things)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The bump for "Cyborg to UFC?" at the end of a promo on ufc.com suggests that we'll see her there before long. There's way too much buzz and fan unrest for them to not take advantage and make some money off of her at this point. All of this resistance and trash talk has bumped Cyborg's public profile so much that it almost seems like kayfabe intended to keep people thinking about her while she slowly dropped to 35.

Two Invicta cards in the fall though. Seems good to me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

There are like zero impressive names on Jury's record unless you think Sanchez and Gomi are impressive. Khabib beat Dos Anjos.

I think they're talking about names, as in fame, not in terms of credibility or difficulty - Dos Anjos has the most name recognition of anyone who Khabib has beaten, but Gomi and Sanchez are famous. RDA is way more worthwhile of a win than anyone Jury has beaten.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Incendiary Pig posted:

Seriously, is DJ the only champ that is healthy more often than injured? Maybe it just seems that way.

Pettis is 4-1 UFC, Bendo 9-2, and Cerrone 11-3. But Pettis is the champ. I'm starting to believe that some of these guys are just quicker to call injury and withdraw from a fight moreso than that they're more easily injured. It makes sense from risk analysis perspective, but it sure makes for lovely viewing.

Jones hasn't been on the injury train too often, has he? I'm willing to forgive the toe and the Gustaffson fight layoffs, as at least we got to enjoy those injuries. For a while earlier in his reign it felt like Jones was the only champ defending his belt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, he has a recurring quad tear that's pretty blatantly from drug abuse and training improperly. Guys with fish-homophone last names just never do well in MMA I guess.

Samman? Toney? Who else am I forgetting?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You have to add the ice cream before the coke/root beer/cream soda/orange soda, so you get that special creamy head.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

http://distilleryvesper4-4.ak.instagram.com/fd415885435911e4bbb690e2ba64cb38_101.mp4

this is the first time jon jones has made me want to like him in a long time

Seems like he's still promoting nike....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

Mighty Mouse is cool

Mighty mouse is cool. He gets me wondering if rankings people should factor activity and injury layoffs. The guys above him on the UFC p4p right now are habitual out-sitters. MM p4p#1.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If his strikes were so weak, his opponents would just walk through them. When he throws, his opponents cover, back up, and do what they can to avoid getting hit. Certainly, he's not throwing gigantic haymakers, but there are actually drawbacks to throwing big "knockout" punches, too - that's why you don't really see good boxers throw Roy Nelson-style right hands with any great frequency.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is Cariaso the least credible ufc title challenger ever? At least Sonnen was worth money, Hardy could promote a fight, and Soto had the whole "any time anywhere" aspect. Cariaso is basically anonymous, and he is coming off of a split decision win over a guy without a wikipedia page.

I've been racking my brain on this for like four minutes.... There must be someone worse back there. Leites had a streak going and had never been stopped... Cote had at least knocked some dudes out and was durable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bioshuffle posted:

The culture of elitism that exists within the MMA fan base is nothing short of baffling. I can think of three separate occasions when I almost came to trading blows with some drunk know-it-all who thinks his opinions have more value because he trains jiu-jitsu. :rolleyes:

Should stop hanging out with him then if you've almost gotten in a fight with him on three separate occasions..

One thing to consider though - if you smell poo poo, perhaps someone is full of poo poo; if you smell poo poo everywhere, it's quite likely that you're full of poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The trick to posting is to sneak in slowly through the side so as to avoid becoming "that new idiot". If performed correctly, you will simply be "that idiot".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

Cerrone rules and I'd happily pay money to watch him fight, and I have.

That's the key. Sometimes I get the feeling that Cerrone would pay me money to watch him fight (not that he'd need to.)

The guy has fought in the ufc THREE TIMES MORE than Pettis since the WEC closure. Cerrone certainly rules, but his fights are not scarce events.

poo poo, I just realized that McGregor has as many UFC wins as Pettis. He seems a bit less "untested" in that light.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He'll hold the belt for 4 years and successfully defend it twice.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

What's wrong with it?

Hmm the poster's theme is posters. I like it. Especially how they're kind of torn up a bit. They're in bad shape. One might say that the ufc succeeded in making a good bad poster-themed poster.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The problem that I have with the supposed "backstage bonuses" is that they can be withheld, and that becomes a stick. Because fighters can't really depend on them being there, they'll do everything they can to make sure that they don't lose the "bonus" which they probably depend on. Because they're a bonus, the UFC really has the grounds to give or withhold them for any reason, it keeps individuals from speaking out about grievances about company operations so they stay on the bonus train (historically, the power of arbitrary dispensation is also tyranny 101).

It also seems like some kind of dodgy way of avoiding regulation. I know that the fighters end up taking home more money than we see on the pay sheets, but the ways in which it gets paid out make me uncomfortable. Why don't they just kill the locker room bonus practice and just turn the bonuses into salaries and visible parts of the contract? It sure would be a good PR thing - they don't do it because they'd give up that mostly-coercive power which they get to package up and polish as "a reward".

And that's why the UFC uses the double secret bonus structure. They will keep doing it until some higher authority (probably the IRS or someone) makes them stop, at which time they'll cry that big bad government is interfering with their ability to reward their employees. I know that if I had that power and I was trying to run a business built around obtaining and retaining such individual talents I wouldn't give it up easily either. Professional team sports have the influence of the strong team to help keep the talent in place, but a fight promoter really depends on making sure that otherwise uncommitted individuals stay where you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dangersim posted:

They also want exciting fights :ssh:

Because knockouts and crazy brawls don't happen without those bonuses (:thejoke:, I know)

• Locked thread