Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thehustler posted:

A lot of people keep talking about Yorkshire independence now too.

Where does it loving end this is ridiculous. Let's just have independent streets
There's already a logical dividing point at the EU Statistical Regions, which were supposed to each have their own assembly until the central government remembered that it liked being probably the most overly central government anywhere outside of a dictatorship.

Give each EU regional area official status as a province/state/whatever (personally I like whatever combination allows Wales to be called the Welsh Autonomous Zone), drop the 'countries within a country (within a country?)' thing which has only ever found use in sports and loving over the periphery, make the Westminster government federal.

Plus it means lots more miniature flags to wave.

Pissflaps posted:

'UK' isn't an acronym, it's an initialism.

This mistake is a constant bugbear of mine.
If it was federal it could be FUK, which is an acronym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Undead Hippo posted:

That seems like a weird spin to put on it. Wasn't the Regional Assembly plan squelched because people overwhelmingly voted against it?
Which regions actually got to vote on it? All I remember was the government stirring up a lot of 'are costs :qq:' arguments in Yorkshire, which smacked a lot of the 'This baby needs new body armour, not a fair voting system' adverts. I can't remember the midlands or north-east getting any kind of vote.

e: I don't think it's controversial to say that the government in the UK (Scotland excepted in the past couple decades) is far more centralized than most other European countries though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Serco Austerity Stadium

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HortonNash posted:

I've been out of the field for four years so I don't know about this proton treatment, but I'm fairly confident that if we don't offer it here it's for a good reason, and not just cost/or the NHS being poo poo (we really aren't when it comes to radiotherapy).

A good rule of thumb is if the radiotherapy treatment isn't offered at places like The Royal Marsden, UCLH or Queen Elizabeth Birmingham then either it's not as good as claimed or the evidence doesn't yet support it.
IIRC there are two high energy proton therapy machines due to come online in the UK, but they won't be treating patients until 2018.

e: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-us/cancer-news/news-report/manchester-and-london-proton-beam-therapy-units-confirmed

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 2, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They also gave Erwin Rommel an award for "style in the face of true adversity" in 1999, so it's not the first time they've heaped praise on war criminals.

e: vvv The economy has always been at war with Eastasia.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

Erwin Rommel was one of the few senior German officers who didn't commit war crimes and was forced to commit suicide after being implicated in Claus von Stauffenberg's plot to assassinate Hitler. But, he was German in 1940 so I guess he was a Jew-hating fascist, right?
He was German in 1940 in a high ranking military position, and almost certainly knew about the orders to 'destroy Jewry in the Arab World' in the immediate wake of the Afrika Korps. Even if you buy into the "clean hands" Wehrmacht, he still doesn't come off so great, and probably shouldn't be given a GQ style award. I'm not sure that anyone famous for wars of offense (Blair included) and parading around in military uniform should be getting GQ awards though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bozza posted:

If you have never had the joy of typing:

10 PRINT "gently caress"
20 GOTO 10

into a BBC Micro, I feel real bad for you. Logo owned too.
Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts96J7HhO28

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought there were exceptions if there are genuine moral reasons? How would it play out for other jobs, like if they tried to pressure a Vegan or Muslim to be a pork butcher?

Not that it would surprise me if they were completely ignored because targets!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure they don't give a poo poo about having morals, but I thought there was a thing where if there were certain ethical reasons that you couldn't take a job, like having a religious objection to working as a pork butcher, you couldn't be compelled to.

Not that it would surprise me if they completely ignored that or just looked for any other shitball reason to sanction the person objecting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

I still can't believe the LibDems went into coalition with the Tories. It boggles the mind.
Wouldn't the alternative have required a rainbow coalition to get any sort of a majority, which would have led to a significant amount of sway in the hands of the DUP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ReV VAdAUL posted:

In the event of independence Scots will become the new bogeyman.
"They drink the blood out of wounds of the slain: they establish themselves, by drinking one anothers blood and suppose the great number of slaughters they commit, the more honour they win and so did the Scythians in old time. To this we add that these wild Scots, like as the Scythians, had for their principal weapons, bows and arrows."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

Who is our spymaster?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

I dunno - it seems odd to constantly complain about Scottish parasites and then get all offended when they look like they might leave voluntarily. It's a bit like a guy who constantly belittles his wife then getting angry when she finally divorces him.
Are.. are you saying that rich entitled home counties people and the media-political machine might be complete pricks? :monocle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zohar posted:

So basically what Americans do?
That plus the bills with 'witty' acronyms, like Guarding Our Homeland in Opposition to Migrant Extremists Act.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Sentence Rees-Mogg to a year without a nanny (or other aide), sentence IDS to a year without housing/food/water/money/travel/expenses/etc; I'm sure he can come up with some sort of magical solution, like how he was definitely living on JSA that one time or how many people didn't kill themselves over the bedroom tax.
All politicians proposing welfare or justice changes should have to spend a month living under the effects of their proposal before it can be voted on. Except Philip Hollobone, he'd only have to spend 15 minutes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We want eight and we won't wait!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thehustler posted:

That's the weird thing really. A placebo can work even if patients know it's a placebo.
What if the placebo is diluted by several orders of magnitude in water?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

Can't remember where I've seen it but more expensive placebos are apparently more effective. They're also more effective if they're more painful.
Does that mean that offering them for free on the NHS makes them less effective, or does the patient just have to think that they cost a lot and are being offered free at the point of care?

If they're on prescription, and so not free in England, does that mean that English homeopathic treatments are more effective than Welsh ones?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

Australia regularly tops the international rankings on scales measuring well-being and human development but to read the auspol thread you'd think it was a nightmare hellscape patrolled by mecha-neoliberals who seek out and devour helpless innocents cowering in the blasted wastes.
Australia's Serco-run offshore prison camps with infant children in them put a slight dent in their at-home well-being and human development.

That's what UKIP and the Tories mean when they fetishize "Australian-style immigration controls". They mean offshore concentration camps. Maybe the more naive ones just mean a points system, but I will bet money that Farage longs for private camps full of immigrant children on Alderney.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is it any more odd than the lack of a formal written constitution, or the existence of 'parliamentary sovereignty'? The whole thing seems to run on a curve of "well technically we can do all this stuff but there might be hell to pay if we actually do".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Metrication posted:

John Redwood was on Newsnight last night with Peter Hain debating devolution to England and his idea was to have an English parliament based inside the Commons alongside the regular parliament, and they would alternate working days.
Wouldn't Birmingham or somewhere be more logical, then London can retain their special snowflake capital of the union status. And be part of Britain but not England.

Or ideally having England as a number of smaller parliaments, more roughly equal to Scotland each, so that the federation isn't incredibly weighted one way or the other.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cerv posted:

it's the political equivalent of "but why aren't there men only nights at the swimming pool".

do regional assemblies or don't bother.
That depends entirely on what sort of baths you visit.

Not bothering and keeping the status quo seems like it would just maintain the imbalance of power though.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Even if he does, this winter is likely to be a severe test of his popularity. Brownouts are a distinct possibility and people who have their iPhone or laptop damaged by a brownout are unlikely to be happy at all.
Look, if you want to strive and get on in the modern dynamic market economy of UK Plc, maybe you should have invested in a power conditioner before you splurged on an iPhone or laptop. Just saying. :smug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

twoot posted:

Using the NUTS2 regions could be sensible.
I like the idea of using the NUTS1 regions, as they'd be similar parity to Scotland/Wales, but the names for the English regions are just so tedious. North East England, South West England, etc.
Yorkshire and the Humber is the only one that sounds creative enough to be a province.

Time for some regional identity movements for Mercia, Anglia, etc that aren't just weird old white people talking about nationalism in pubs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Luftwaffe tried that with Coventry, and it just came back worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Fluo posted:

If I painted Edinburgh on my last visit because by chance my friend got a knife in the ribs (survived luckily), it would be dishonest of the city.
Edinburgh is always trying to steal Glasgow's traditional craft industries.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Frequency and voltage variation are a shitload less damaging to the network than shedding load - it's something that happens all the time because about the only things that even use AC directly are electric motors, light bulbs and heating elements, everything else is rectified to DC.
And only the first one of those really gives any shits what the frequency is (unless it's a universal motor, it which case it doesn't either). Induction motors running on variable frequency drives fed from rectified three phase are getting a lot more common too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"the principle that our people were better able to govern themselves than any British government," can be read two ways, either "the Irish are better able to govern Ireland than the British government are able to govern Ireland" or "the Irish are better able to govern Ireland than the British government are able to govern the British government." I can see some merit in both statements.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why is the UK still outside of Shengen anyway? Is it just island nation mentality coupled with appeasing the voters who are terrified that next time Hitler will only need a drivers license to attack London instead of an airforcepassport?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't be mean. He deserves to sit at the highest seat in Heaven, alongside all the Popes. :angel:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Also we say Labour 'are' hosed, not 'is'.
Labour MPs 'are' hosed, the Labour Party 'is' hosed. They use the singular for themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/history-of-the-labour-party uses singular throughout.

e: It's mostly a style thing though, I'd only use a plural if it looks like one, like "The Conservatives are a bunch of arseholes"/"The Conservative Party is an association for advancing and representing arseholes."

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

UKIP want us out of the next two World Cups, and FIFA entirely if Sepp Blatter is re-elected.
I'm in agreement with UKIP on something. I feel dirty. :(

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brussels replaced them with systèmes internationaux de menthe, they're next to the straight bananas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zero Gravitas posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt Hitler and his Japanese allies have some rather dark plans for Indonesia?
You mean it wasn't going to be a pan-Asian friendship party? :monocle:

People in Indonesia would probably look at you for displaying Imperial Japanese symbols the same way that most Europeans would look at you for displaying Nazi stuff, but the converse applies too, Third Reich symbols don't necessarily mean "I'm a huge racist fascist shithead" in S.E. Asia.
Related, there was a spike in the popularity of Mein Kampf in India a few years ago because of a generation of schoolkids who were taught little about Hitler other than "strict hardline leader who fought against the British Empire in the 40s".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

That seems crazy, since Gandhi denounced fascism pretty specifically... and I'm sure they're taught about Gandhi.
He did, but Hitler has never been seen as the ultimate :godwinning: go-to guy for evil outside of Europe and North America, for obvious reasons. I'm not sure to what extent students in India are taught about Hitler's fascism, but I'd guess it would be more on par with what most British students are taught about Nanking instead of what British students are taught about the Blitz and Auschwitz. Also I don't know if the Indian students are buying to be ~super edgy~ or not, but I definitely remember some of the Indian business newspapers reporting on it a few years back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ephemeron posted:

Because the actual successor to the Soviet Union and its sins has anti-aircraft capabilities, a standing army and a few odd nukes.
So did the actual Soviet Union though. The solution to this was endless lovely proxy wars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsbane posted:

I wonder if you could get people behind limiting pensions more easily than limiting wealth?
"But but I worked for that! Do you want the government to just be able to take things that people have worked for and distribute them to immigrant pederasts?" would be the first response, and the whole press would rally behind it.

You might have more success with more comprehensive property or land value taxes. It's much harder to hide land in the Caymans too.

Or targeted drone strikes against anybody with a personalized number plate.

e:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Charge a disgustingly high annual renewal fee on wanker personalised number plates, nobody gives a poo poo about those people.
I thought most UK plates were priced by the glorious free market now, not like in America (in some states at least) where the plate holder just contacts their state DMV to see if it's available and pays a $25 paperwork fee. I'm not sure how you'd quantify which ones are personal either. Does someone called Sue paying £400 for a random plate ending in 'SUE' get charged more than someone who was randomly allocated that, or is it only applied to the full plate W4NKR style ones?

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 17, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All of the above. :unsmigghh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Biggus Dickus posted:

The looming end of the paper VED disc is bringing out the "put the tax on fuel" brigade again. I did some Googling.

According to http://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn09.pdf, the govt raised £5.9bn in 2012-13 through VED.
According to this article on the Grauniad, combined sales of Petrol and Diesel was 34.2bn litres.

So fuel would have to rise by 17p/litre to cover VED? I am not smart with numbers, so may be wrong.
I'm more of a fan of putting basic third-party insurance on fuel, like they do in South Africa. A small increase in fuel prices goes to the Road Accident Fund, which is a state third-party insurer established by statute. That way, if you're hit by an uninsured driver (either as a pedestrian, another driver, or your property is damaged) you're not completely screwed, and you don't need to pay extra for special anti-uninsured driver insurance. It also seems to work out cheaper than the cost of tracking down and penalizing uninsured drivers, but I'm not sure how much the additional fuel price increase would be in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Serotonin posted:

We already do this via the Motor Insurers Bureau, which a percentage of car insurance payments goes towards.
Yeah, except they still have a bunch of people going around fining people for driving without insurance and sticking points on their licence. The entire point of the Road Accident Fund, however it is funded, is that insurance becomes an optional thing if you want fire and theft, fully comp, or other better cover, and basic third party protection is something that is extended to everyone by statute.
That's more equitable than allowing insurance companies to gouge everyone for as much as they want.

Autonomous Monster posted:

I said this in the other thread, but this entire concept is surreal to me. I refuse to believe that we've backed England into federation. :psyduck:
Will this finally drive a stake through the heart of the ridiculous concept of parliamentary sovereignty, or will they continue to believe that they can do absolutely anything they want when their jurisdiction is restricted to a field in Hampshire?

• Locked thread