Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action George
Apr 13, 2013
You'd think they'd hire translators for interviews for marquee events like this considering how common it is for players to switch regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Dervyn posted:

TSM's coach Locodoco, whom helped bring Lustboy over, could easily done it in a pinch. Heck, how hard would it be to just simply ask him how happy he must be? Doesn't even need to be a long and complex question.

I was meaning more that Riot should hire translators for interviews. Seems like it would be a good move on their part to help showcase the foreign players. Actually, thinking about it, wouldn't they more or less need to have translators on hand to handle stuff like technical difficulties, rule clarifications and the like?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Flameingblack posted:

They do have translators though? They have them on a semi-regular basis, sometimes they come from the team and sometimes they're Rioters. They don't interview LMQ every single time, but they did it a couple times over the season.

Weird that they didn't have them around so they could interview Lustboy then. You'd think they want to talk to him some considering how he joined the team just in time for them to make this run. Guess the thing about him not being on the approved list to ask questions of must be correct, although that's a little weird in itself considering most sports leagues mandate some media interaction by the players post game.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I too feel that in an online video game whose competitve scene sees the vast majority of the top tier players come from Asia that we should restrict many of those same players from having a realistic shot at competing for the game's biggest championship because we decided to arbitrarily restrict the number of teams that could participate from a specific geopraphic region.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
"The get drunked combo."

:golfclap:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

The funny thing is that Keane was actually really loving good with Hecarim mid. If only he hadn't played it into a composition with so many knockbacks to stop him from massacring the back line.

Considering Hecarim was the last pick I feel like it was a pretty bad choice for exactly this reason. I mean, his play was good for the circumstance, but even early on when he was getting kills they didn't actually gain any objectives off of it, and then late game there just wasn't any way to get good flanks/picks against a coordinated team that outscaled them and had the CC to deal with a Hecarim charge from all five champs.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Don't get me wrong, Keane absolutely did well on Hecarim for what he was up against and having everyone else on CA lose lane to champs that outscaled was the principle factor in their loss. So no, he wasn't the reason they lost, but he also didn't really do anything to help them win. Like I said, even early on when he was getting kills CA didn't really gain anything from that except the gold on Hecarim. Yeah, his play was good, but even if CLG hadn't crushed the other lanes the team comps would have enabled them to just turtle and stall out the game until they outscaled them because CLG had much better wave clear and CA had no way of forcing turrets without getting a pick first, which was made more or less impossible due all of the CC on CLG.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't know why they didn't just run Noc or Skarner.

Neither one of those are objectively bad champions right now.

Has Skarner seen any pro play recently? I know Nocturne comes and goes but I can't recall seeing Skarner any in the NA/EU LCS lately.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Ziggs, Ori, Trist, Maokai, Lulu, etc. are still all on the board. Better get that Fizz pick in quick!

Edit: And they get Trist/Ori anyway...

Action George fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 10, 2014

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I can actually see Fizz having some decent synergy with Orianna. Playful Trickster might be a decent way to get the ball in the middle of the enemy team for a shockwave, and if you follow that up with a Fizz ult it could be huge.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Other team just took Baron and are chasing your team across mid? Better farm wraiths!

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Allyn posted:

I dunno if any Mao nerfs have gone through, it certainly doesn't feel like it. Letting the other team get both Mao and Trist is really inexcusable. Mao wasn't even red side's first pick!

Trist pretty routinely gets picked up after the first round of picks and I just don't get it.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Well, that's one way to throw the game after getting Mao/Trist I guess.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Etrips posted:

Oh Phreak... :suicide:

I think you mean :swoon:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I find it amazing how pro Braum players can weave his Q through minions and hit fleeing champs consistently and then whiff his ult so frequently.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
First pick Lucian while Trist is unbanned. Seems about right.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Monathin posted:

And in this game we saw our first actual instance of how Lucian is supposed to :airquote:counter:airquote: Tristana, by steamrolling the game to the point where Tristana can't be relevant.

Even then Coast's bot lane did pretty well early on. They didn't really start to fall behind until the rest of EG's lanes started crushing and were able to control the whole game. But yeah, that was definitely the best Lucian "counter" I've seen.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
That teleport.

:riot:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

But they wouldn't be playing Team8 or Coast in the expansion tourney?

They would be playing against even worse teams.

Why wouldn't T8 and Coast be in the expansion tourney when they're in the promo tourney (excepting them actually winning in promos)?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

babydonthurtme posted:

Ok looks like EG got a little bit too :smugdog:, talon, khazix, corki, nami and nidalee all together = zero synergy.

After the last two games I'm not really sure it matters what they pick.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah, if your Ziggs is getting out CSed/wave cleared by a roaming assassin you might be in trouble.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

They wouldn't be in the Expansion tournement. In this hypothetical universe having won the Promo series.

It's a simple counterfactual, because I'm sick of seeing people say "CLG is going to disband if they lose this series!!!"

No matter what happened in the promo tourneys at least two of EG/CA/T8/CST/Complexity would be in the expansion tourney, so yes, they would either be competing with two of the top 3 challenger teams or two former LCS teams.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

I used a concept called a "hypothetical". Let's try again to see if you can follow, let's say that Gambit did, in a different universe, lose their series. Then they would be playing in the expansion tournament. By virtue of losing, their opponent would win, and thus would not end up in the expansion tournament. Gambit would then have to play one of (because we don't know the format of the Expansion tournament yet) Ninjas in Pyjamas or Reason Gaming. These teams are really honestly terrible, and even Gambit when they play on tilt would be able to beat them.

As Schiavona suggested, Gambit would disband after losing their promotional series. I object to this, because they still have an entire series of LCS games to play.

E: And in general, people were saying the same thing about CLG, EG, and probably every team that ends up in these promo series.

Your original point was that the teams in the expansion tourney would be worse than the teams in the promo tourney, but two of the teams they'd be against in the expansion tourney would be teams that were in the promo/relegation tourney. Like, if you want to argue that CLG/Gambit/whoever got relegated would be better than the challenger team that didn't get promoted that's fine, but the point is they wouldn't just be facing teams that weren't good enough to get into the promos (excepting teams disbanding.) It's not Denial esports they'd have to worry about, it'd be whoever is left from the teams that didn't win in promos.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

So you're suggesting that Riot would have the two former LCS teams play each other and the two challenger teams play each other?

I mean, that'd be like Team8 and Coast playing for a spot and then having EG and Complexity for the other.

Oh, I see where you're coming from. I guess it does depend on the format of the expansion tournament. I guess I was assuming a double elimation tourney or something similar where the top team would get in and then you'd have #2 v #3 play for the last spot or whatever.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Jayisspecial posted:

They didn't look great, but who can say what they will look like with more practice? They still have a chance in the expansion tourney.

Miracle looked decent enough in lane that he might work out, but I have a hard time seeing how Ringer showed anything indicating he is an LCS level player unless you think Pobelter suddenly made the leap to being worlds best midlaner.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

The Mash posted:

I hope this game goes 50+ minutes so we get 6 item Poppy

The game won't last long enough to get to 6 items at this rate, but it's 4/0/3 Poppy with the highest CS in the game so I don't know that it would take that long to get to 6 items

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Allyn posted:

That

hook

We're seeing better Thresh hooks from the Challenger supports than the LCS ones recently.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
If these last two games are indicative of UoL's actual skill they might be a legit contender in the LCS.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
MIL is in kind of a hard spot now that they have to ban out so much that's unconventional. You could argue that their bans should be Jarvan/Thresh/Poppy which leaves so much open for UoL, if they can play it.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Love these games just for the out of the blue champ picks.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

West Ham Sandwich posted:

How have they given Hylissang thresh all 5 games?

Well, you see, they need to ban out the midlaner whose champ pool is deep enough to play Cassiopeia in the game 5 of their promo series.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Libertine posted:

I can't believe how recklessly bloodthirsty this game is on both sides. Fun to watch, but it's like hey guys it's game 5 one of you is going home if you make a dumb mistake to throw the game. Pretty balls out play.

Immediately followed by a four minute siege of an outer turret.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
How do you get aced after picking off Corki like that?

:riot:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Might as well unbind Q on Blitz when you're down 10k at 26 minutes because there's no one you actually want to pull into your team right now.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Well, getting an ace is one way to get the baron buff.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I know at that point there was probably nothing COL could do to turn the game around, but sending your jungler to clear super minions in bot lane while T8 is setting up for Baron probably wasn't it.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ihki posted:

For this game, I'd argue the opposite, they got caught stupidly a few times in a game they should've dominated. The onus to force fights was on T8 who hit their relative peak around 30 minutes (with nothing except Shockwave to be afraid of), now they're more vulnerable and team fights are unpredictable, high variance shitshows like they tend to be with double ADs.

Yeah, I feel like they should have ignored the Baron dance and just forced towers. With 2 ADCs, Lich Bane Gragas, and offensive build Kha'zix they could have burned through COL's base, and it's hard for them to get favorable teamfights with such a tanky Renekton out in front.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
On the other hand, with T8's teamcomp if they get 10 seconds free run at Baron it's theirs.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Well, I guess that explains why LoL doesn't have a built in replay function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
"T8 saved their counterpick for the top lane."

COL first picked Nidalee. They would have been counter picking that at any time they picked their top laner.

Edit: One of the post game replays at the analyst desk bugged out.

• Locked thread