Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

mushi posted:

Like they were saying on the desk, they won't ban poppy, they just won't first-pick mundo.

I love me some Mundo but I honestly don't get why he's strong in competitive. He just kinda sits there and never wins lane except for that one time Dyrus on Mundo dumpstered Ackerman on Ryze. I don't get what comp he fits in or what role he serves in any team other than just being general "front line". But I don't understand what makes him a better front line than picks like Maokai.

Mundo's popular because you just stall to 40 minutes and then Mundo never dies, so he's an ideal damage sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

mushi posted:

Like they were saying on the desk, they won't ban poppy, they just won't first-pick mundo.

I love me some Mundo but I honestly don't get why he's strong in competitive. He just kinda sits there and never wins lane except for that one time Dyrus on Mundo dumpstered Ackerman on Ryze. I don't get what comp he fits in or what role he serves in any team other than just being general "front line". But I don't understand what makes him a better front line than picks like Maokai.

Mundo can soak incredible amounts of damage in team fights, and creates a lane island that's hard to bother. He doesn't really have in-meta lane counters 1v1 (well, uhh, Poppy :swoon:) and handles himself well in 1v2s. Safety first.

But first pick Mundo feels pretty terrible I'll admit :confused:

Poppy ban :laffo:

Ihki fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2014

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is certainly not the place for theorycrafting, but wouldn't Olaf be like the PERFECT counterpick to Poppy? He can outsustain her really hard and the true damage ignores her passive entirely.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

This is certainly not the place for theorycrafting, but wouldn't Olaf be like the PERFECT counterpick to Poppy? He can outsustain her really hard and the true damage ignores her passive entirely.

Olaf, Darius and Irelia are the classic counterpicks. True damage fucks her over majorly

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
And there's the Poppy ban.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Thumbtacks posted:

Aatrox is a much better choice. Poppy cannot do anything to a resourceless character with inbuilt lifesteal and big damage, a revive and an escape. Olaf is still bad and supremely vulnerable to a pre-6 gank that will make him feed for the rest of the game.

Also YO THAT POPPY BAN.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

"First pick Tristana or you're retar-uh, i mean"

gj Phreak

e: POPPY BAN, THE END IS NIGH

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Poppy ban in LCS.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I think we've all seen how blind picking Talon usually goes.

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

Lame, mao again top

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately UOL went back to standard meta, so unless their toplaner somehow manages to channel the spirit if Poppy on Maokai, this is probably the end for them.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Poppy really is exceptional in a 2v2 or 2v1. If you get a gank as Poppy top you can insec wall stun the enemy laner if given the opportunity for your jungler to jump on the enemy. Her passive is also probably the best at baiting in the game.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Libertine posted:

I usually agree with you Pat but I disagree with you on this distinction. A champion that snowballs isn't necessarily a hyper carry. A hyper carry is a 6-item champion that can basically crank an entire team by himself. I'd limit the list to like Vayne, Twitch, Tristana, Jax, and maybe Yasuo. There's probably others I'm forgetting (e: kog).

Kog, Yi and maybe Trynd?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

How Rude posted:

Poppy really is exceptional in a 2v2 or 2v1. If you get a gank as Poppy top you can insec wall stun the enemy laner if given the opportunity for your jungler to jump on the enemy. Her passive is also probably the best at baiting in the game.

This is probably proving your point really well, but... what IS her passive? Straight DR if you're below 50% health or something?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Yukari posted:

This is probably proving your point really well, but... what IS her passive? Straight DR if you're below 50% health or something?

All physical and magic damage dealt to Poppy that exceeds 10% of her current health is reduced by 50%. Valiant Fighter does not reduce damage from structures.

Sizup
Nov 25, 2008

Yukari posted:

If the damage dealt to poppy is more than 10% of her current health, the damage is halved.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Yukari posted:

Anything that hits her for more than 10% current hp is halved.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Sizup posted:

If the damage dealt to poppy is more than 10% of her current health, the damage is halved.

Not exactly. Any single instance of damage that would deal more than 10% of Poppy's health instead deals (10% of her health + [50% of the remaining damage]). If an attack would do 20% of her current health, instead it does 15%. If it would do 40%, it instead does 25%. An attack that would do exactly 100% of her current health instead does 55%.

True damage, of course, ignores her passive.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Killed By Death posted:

Not exactly. Any single instance of damage that would deal more than 10% of Poppy's health instead deals (10% of her health + [50% of the remaining damage]). If an attack would do 20% of her current health, instead it does 15%. If it would do 40%, it instead does 25%. An attack that would do exactly 100% of her current health instead does 55%.

True damage, of course, ignores her passive.

Her passive is one of the dumbest things on any champion.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

hooooooly poo poo that thresh

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

kev1n, come on, that was a rookie mistake

e: IS THAT MADLIFE?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
That

hook

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Allyn posted:

That

hook

We're seeing better Thresh hooks from the Challenger supports than the LCS ones recently.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

:laffo: ARDENT BLAZE DRAGON STEAL

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Allyn posted:

That

hook

i'm not afraid to admit that i screamed like a little girl and scared the heck out of my dog when that poo poo hit

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqyQcQSpeuo

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

MILLENNIUM :cry:

PLEASE :cry:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
This is brutal. Apparently all UOL have to do is go even in the early game and they will win.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Now you're just showing off, Hylissang. No-one is impressed. Except everyone.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

drat if UOL come back to 3-0 after a poppy game they might be my new favorite EU team.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

A Stupid Baby posted:

Now you're just showing off, Hylissang. No-one is impressed. Except everyone.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I want to see that Talon hook from Hylissang's point of view.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Are we going to see another record-breaker for largest gold lead at 20 minutes?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
UOL seems to have better objective/map control than a lot of current LCS teams.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
If these last two games are indicative of UoL's actual skill they might be a legit contender in the LCS.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
UOL is looking so solid right now. They totally rallied and got over the nerves.

Super impressed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that heal to get the kill...

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Monathin posted:

Are we going to see another record-breaker for largest gold lead at 20 minutes?

No. I remember in OGN Groups one of the top Korean teams played one of the newly qualified teams in the lower group and it was like a 20k lead at 20 minutes. I think it was SS White vs. Bigfile Miracle.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The way UOL wins games is so much quicker and more decisive than MIL. MIL struggles for 50 minutes before finally taking an inhib while these guys just press every advantage. Even though I like the guys on MIL I really hope UOL close this series out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So you can't give Hylissang Thresh.

• Locked thread