Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Where's the best website for VoD links now? For OGN specifically, NA/EU LCS is easy to find. Leaguepedia only links to the twitch VoDs of the OGN games as far as I can tell which you need the subscription for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I haven't followed league in a while, what are the popular pro picks? What's with the TBD on the world championship page?

Champion picks?

Top lane: Alistar, Maokai, Nidalee, Lulu, Mundo, Ryze, occasional Kayle
Jungle: Lee Sin, Nunu, Kha'Zix, Elise, Rengar (in Korea) e: I think Jarvan and even Shaco are picked in China but I'm not sure
Mid lane: Ryze, Syndra, Zed, Yasuo, Orianna, Xerath occasional TF, Talon, Kog'Maw, Zilean
AD carry: Tristana, Kog'Maw, Corki, Lucian
Support: Nami, Braum, Thresh, Morg, Zilean

I may have forgotten one or two.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 2, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Jessie Tanner posted:

I agree, the problem however is the inconsistency in how they do things. As has been already stated, Incarnati0n has been allowed to coach SK for 2 splits already. Making this new rule just before worlds is mind-boggling to me. At least let him coach them for worlds and then make the rule for the new split. It's like Nick Allen gets off on loving with teams.

I think Riot said they have never previously recognized him in any official capacity. They can't prevent organizations from hiring their own personnel. Do you know if they've actually been letting him back stage at LCS?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

Wait, how can teams just show up for the expansion tournament without going through the challenger league?

I think there are spots in it (or spots for a qualifying tournament?) taken from the ranked 5s challenger ladder.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

lolesports posted:

The tournament will take place after Worlds and will pull teams from the ladder. Teams that lose in the Promotion Tournament will still have another chance to qualify for the LCS as they will automatically be entered into the Expansion Tournament.

I interpreted "the ladder" to mean the challenger ranked 5s ladder but I guess it might be the challenger series point rankings or something.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Locodoco will probably leave TSM and reform Quantic with the boys and then somehow still fail to qualify for LCS.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Doesn't CLG have to keep 3 of their current players for next split by the rule Riot made when NIP was trying to buy Lemondogs' LCS spot?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Liquid did an AMA & interview with Travis and in the interview he states that he would be looking for a minimum of $75k if he has to sell CRS Academy should they qualify for LCS. Interesting to think about the valuation and pricing of an esports team. I'd love FORBES to do valuations like they do with every other sport. Is TSM the scenes first million dollar franchise?

CoL sold their Call of Duty team (the best in the world) to EG for 80k iirc.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

glomkettle posted:

CoD probably pulls less money than League.

Oh, definitely. There's one CoD team (OpTic) where the players probably make more than League players who aren't on TSM/aren't named Doublelift/Froggen but beyond that there's a big drop off. It was just one of the few transfers in esports for which I actually know the amount of money exchanged.

I agree that the coL CoD team was probably not very profitable for coL, if at all.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 5, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
http://clgaming.net/news/609-montecristo-steps-down-as-coach

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

I am so ready for Coach Zuna.

This isn't a joke btw for other people reading this post. Zuna was in the CLG house in Doublelift's stream and people are speculating that he's CLG's new coach lol.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
It's impressive to me that Froggen has been so consistently good for such a long time. What other players can really match that?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
If Alliance pull out a miracle win it better be by Froggen ascending to another level of consciousness and 1v5ing.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Jerkface posted:

All I know about SEA & China is that they have the best team icons

Do the Gama Bears still exist?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Redmark posted:

This is one confusing loving article. Putting "non-" before every other word does not make things easy to parse.

And it's not even exhaustive either. Can LMQ replace a player with an NA resident who speaks Chinese, or would that break the grandfathering in? It only mentions replacing with non-exempt non-residents.

If they meet the NA residency requirement the language(s) they speak don't matter.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Redmark posted:

Yeah, I just meant that they'd still be one resident short so it'd be some kind of limbo state. The speaking Chinese thing was just an assumption about who they'd actually take.

Well, I think it only says that they can't replace any of their players with non-residents, not that can no longer have 4-5 non-residents.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Redmark posted:

I see. I guess the special cases override "The new NA and EU residency requirement will require teams to have at minimum three of their starting players in any given game meet the new NA and EU residency requirement. Teams will retain the ability to field up to two non-exempt, non-resident players on their starting roster."

Wouldn't it be simpler just to say "you can't add a non-exempt player unless you end up with 3 or more residents", if they're intent on restricting LMQ/TSM from swapping in foreigners? No accounting for :riot:, I suppose.

The whole article is worded really poorly but that's not very surprising. :riot:

e: vvv Yep. I think they just put it out now because they know they're doing something, even if they don't know what the gently caress they're doing, and they don't want to have to announce it after some Korean team already flies out here.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 6, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Libertine posted:

but TSM is 2 NA 2 EU 1 KR -- they would only qualify if NA/EU are lumped, otherwise they do not have 3 NA players.

Unless you're just using them as an example, they don't need to have 3 resident players because they were already in the LCS, I think. They can keep their current roster but they can't replace any of their players, even Bjerg/Amazing/Lustboy, with non-resident players who didn't play in the LCS this season. Unless Bjergsen will fulfill Riot's residency requirement once he has been here for a year or something.

e: also they might lump EU/NA together, who knows. But either way TSM is fine unless they want to make a roster change. RIP TSM Flame, the dream.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 6, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Savage Cracker posted:

OMG were playing with a sub in mid as well though.

Weren't they actually planning on replacing Cool with that guy at the time though?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Predictions:

Groups

Group A: Samsung White and Edward
Group B: SHRC and TSM
Group C: Samsung Blue and Fnatic
Group D: Najin White Shield and Alliance

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

mushi posted:

The only reason I don't pick fnatic is based on some recent poo poo I've read/seen where they don't have an actual coach and it's really just the players going "if coaches were so good they'd be higher elo, I'm not going to listen to any dumb analyst/coach unless they 1v1 me bro". Which, also is supported by the fact that they just got a coach just in time to prepare for worlds. And it's Toyz, someone that could likely 1v1 all of them. Also, they squeaked by Roccat and got trounced by Alliance. I just don't see them doing as well against top flight competition, but the only result from that group that would surprise me is Blue not making it out. I could easily see LMQ, Fnatic or OMG going on a hot streak.

Hasn't Aranae been their coach all split?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Dominate is actually a pretty informative streamer now too. I actually kind of like the guy.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
I'm on the bus home. How did the game end?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Libertine posted:

I wonder why it's taken so long to see a Morgana. She seems to have been played relatively little in these promotion/relegation games. Unnaturally rare.

Wasn't she surprisingly rare in playoffs too? From my memory I feel like teams were prioritizing Nami/Threh/Braum more. I only really remember seeing Lemon play Morgana.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Did Cali just now buy that Mejai's while he's 0/3 already?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Libertine posted:

Ah yes the 0/3/0 Katarina with the Mejai's. Compelling selection.

He's really living up to his username.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Libertine posted:

I have it muted and I'm about to go grab a beverage for this poo poo storm finale, but it was an objectively terrible pick (picked into a blind/flex lane matchup against a team that already had Ryze and Morgana to lock it down), and I'm a guy who was vehemently defending Mid-Hecarim the other day.

By the end of that game Cali looked like he had kind of checked out. This game doesn't really matter for him.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Are all the sort of good casters busy preparing for worlds or something?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Has anyone ever landed Braum ult in a competitive game?

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
If I watched like three hours of this to not even get a pr0lly interview I'm going to be upset.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

fnox posted:

Maple is like the nerdiest looking player I have ever seen.

It's really funny finding out that OddOne has a brother who is somehow an even bigger geek than he is.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Wolery posted:

How exactly does priority for getting into the expansion tournament work? Is it 6th place LCS team > 7th place > 8th place > last-picked challenger team > second-last picked > first picked?

Do you mean seeding in the expansion tournament? Because every team that loses in promotions gets a spot in the expansion tournament.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Champion Trends Over the 2014 Summer NA LCS

This is a pretty cool article. The jungle chart is really funny. Also, RIP Shyvana and Jax. :(

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

glomkettle posted:

I dunno about handsome specifically, but Krepo is definitely the cutest

The cutest is actually XiaoWeiXiao.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

There's literally no way in hell crumbz of all people is making 100 grand that's beyond insane. He barely streams.

He gets paid at least 50k a year by Dignitas. He does stream occasionally. http://www.ongamers.com/articles/scarra-will-probably-earn-200k-this-year-michael-odee-o-dell-discusses-esport-earnings/1100-908/

e: I do agree that playing on a team like Velocity/coL/Team 8 where you're probably not making much more than the base LCS salary and your job is in jeopardy twice a year is not that great financially. But on the upside you have your house and (presumably) utilities paid for by the organization.

Previous Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 13, 2014

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

fnox posted:

There were people actively advocating for doping controls on Worlds because apparently people do indeed take drugs to focus and to be able to play longer without growing tired.

This was definitely really prevalent in Halo/other FPSes. No idea how common it is in League.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

M. Night Skymall posted:

People'll take drugs to get an edge in almost anything, given how prevalent it was in FPS competition where there wasn't really a lot on the line compared to League it's got to be pretty prevalent. It's also a pretty popular rumor but I'm not aware of any really direct proof. I knew people who used Adderal to get an edge in competitive TF2 back in the day and they stood to win as much as several hundred dollars. Can't imagine what people'd do if their career and potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars were on the line.

I figured there was a chance Riot was already doing drug tests. Though I guess they don't actually employ the players, their organizations do. The stakes are higher in League but there's also a greater ability to prevent it.

Someone actually asked Scarra if he took adderall on his stream the other day and he said he didn't and none of his team's players do, but he has no idea about anyone else. He sounded pretty sincere.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
When did China get 4.15 and 4.16? I assume they wanted to avoid a situation like all stars this year where iirc the patch hadn't even hit China when OMG left. But they still kept the changes light in 4.15 and 4.16 so the game the viewers are playing isn't much different from the one they're watching.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
This is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Did Dyrus learn how to play Nidalee since playoffs? TSM even banned it on blue side in playoffs because Dyrus just couldn't play it. I'm surprised SHRC banned it.

• Locked thread