Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Go look at Harvard and MIT campuses, there's always some event or other happening, and even if there's not it's still worth the visit for the architecture and permanent displays. MIT has a little tech museum for instance, it's on Mass Ave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Funny Bunny posted:

I don't mean to hijack this topic, but since my question is related, I will post it here. I will also go to Boston in a few weeks to visit a friend who is currently halfway during his studies there. I suppose he will know his way around Boston by now, but any recommendations are welcome. For instance, we were thinking about going to a Red Sox game. However, the final game of the season (vs. the Yankees on Sept. 27) is the only we will be able to make and it seems like tickets are already sold out completely. Are there any chances of obtaining tickets on the match-day itself without paying multiple times the original price?

We will also rent a car and drive around New England for a week or two. Perfect, since we will be there in the middle of the fall foliage. Currently on our list of things to do is visit Cape Cod for a day or two, go whale-watching, visit Salem, spend a day or three-four in Maine, drive around Vermont and make a quick round-trip to the Niagara Falls. Any concrete tips are very welcome!

1. There's always ticket scalpers outside Red Sox games as far as I know. I just saw at least 4 while walking by Fenway Park this evening during the game. I don't know how the prices compare to box office prices, but if they're sold out, scalpers would be your only hope anyway.

2. I'm not an expert New England tourist even though I've lived here all my life, but I thought Acadia National Park in Maine was pretty nice. Also Provincetown at the end of the Cape, Providence is a nice small city, and there's Old Sturbridge Village that recreates a colonial-era town 8 hours a day I believe. For hiking, go to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Also apple picking is a big thing during fall in New England. If you're going towards Niagara Falls anyway, the Amherst area of Western Mass is pretty nice, including Northampton, but that's just personal preference. Quaint little New England towns have lots of charm, especially the ones around Boston, at least the ones that never had a huge industrial presence.

Thinking about it for a second, I don't really think it's worth the 7 hour drive to go to Niagara Falls. Maybe because I've seen it before, but if you've seen one huge dam, you've seen them all. I'd spend that time traipsing around New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont if I were you guys. More to see and do, with always something to stop over and look at. I don't recall there really being anything of note on the way up through Upstate NY, it's basically one city after another (Albany, Syracuse, Rochester). Just saying. But I've barely ever been up there.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 10, 2014

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Riptor posted:

don't call either of those that

I call them the public garden and the (boston) common, is that better?

• Locked thread