Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
To the Ice Princess' Lair

PC-88 Version

You know what? That quest sounds stupid and I don't want to deal with it. Let's sell the Wind Rock.

: Oh, that's wonderful! Thank you so, so much! It's every craftsman's dream to make something from a Wind Rock! Thanks to you, now I know what to give my father... Hee hee! His birthday is coming up soon! You can just give it to me. It doesn't really involve the store. Oh, I should pay you for it, shouldn't I? There's not that much, but here, take this... Well, I should deal with the other customers, but thank you very much!

I've made a terrible mistake.

: Ah, yeh're back! So, did yeh meet the Messenger? Hm...? What's that look for? Don't tell me... Yeh sold it, didn't yeh? Haw haw haw! I can't believe this! Yeh really hocked the stone!? What kind of devil would sell off something they received as an important delivery!? Ahh, not that I care... It's not my things yeh're being so cavalier about. I just didn't know yeh lot were that mercenary... Haw! Were yeh not able to resist that Abigail's big watery eyes? What...? That's it!? Don't worry... I won't tell a soul. Well, one way or another, the quest is over. Here's the reward... Haw haw haw!

Okay, you know what? Let's actually do that quest properly this time.

PC-88 Version

You don't need to check the tile for the event to happen, just walk over it.

You think back to the quest you accepted at the bar... You are to give an offering to the Messenger of the Labyrinth in exchange for the incense. Perhaps the shadow before you is that very Messenger... The shadow watches you intently as you come close, and begins to crouch. Abruptly, the shadow makes a tremendous leap and vanishes! You wait for the wind to calm down before you leave the area.

If that happens, you have to look in the other spots. Sometimes he'll accept it on the first try. Other times you'll be forced to do this over and over.

PC-88 Version

Here's the spot on the 2nd floor you need to go to for this quest. If you get this message, the Messenger will accept the Wind Rock. But let's show off the other spots first.

PC-88 Version

Here's the spot on the 10th floor, near that guard that sells overpriced Warp Wires.

The easiest way to cheese this quest is to save at the Geomagnetic Field on the 6th floor.

And then head straight to this spot. And keep resetting the game until the Messenger accepts the Wind Rock. Or if you're me, get lucky and have him accept it on the first try.

You look before you to see a shadowy, human-shaped figure. The figure stands in place, staring at your party. You think back to the quest you accepted at the bar... You are to give an offering to the Messenger of the Labyrinth in exchange for the incense. As you have not yet sold the offering, you can still present it to the shadow...

You approach the shadow slowly, so as not to scare it, and hold out the offering. The shadow tilts its head to one side and speaks quietly.

: You must be the people of the land... Why are you chasing me? Why give me the Wind Rock?

The Wind Rock you hold must be the offering... You tell him of your quest.

: We were told to give this to you. It's an offering.

: Since you have presented me with an offering, I am bound to give you this in exchange.

The shadow takes something from his belongings and tosses it at your feet.

: But remember this, people of the land. Your kind and my kind will always be apart. Tell your kind not to hunt us anymore.

The shadow finishes speaking, and vanishes into thin air. You have exchanged the valuable jewel for a bent twig. After stowing the sweet-smelling branch in your pack, you leave the area.

: What was that about?

: I have no idea.

: Did something seem off about the guy? He looked kind of weird.

: Hmm. Only thing we can do is go ba- Uh oh.

Guess what I forgot to buy more of? :shepicide:

: Forgot the Warp Wire?

: Forgot the Warp Wire.

PC-88 Version

: Ahh, yeh're back, eh? So yeh met with the Messenger?

: Yeah, he was a human. I think. I'm not sure.

: That somehow rode on the winds themselves.

: Eh? Yeh say he was a human? Look, no human I've ever heard of can ride the wind. It's a big Labyrinth... some strange folk live there. Ahh, whatever. So long as yeh got what yeh needed... Right? Well then, no harm done. Yer quest is finished. Here's the reward. Thanks!

A much better reward than the Nectar.

PC-88 Version

Now let's do that other quest. If you're coming from the 15th floor Geomagnetic Pole, you want to pass the time so that the clock is between 9 and 10 when you enter the Labyrinth. You get this message when it hits noon.

: A flute?

: Where's that sound coming from?

You try to pinpoint the sound, but it's too late, and the noise dies before you can locate it. Just afterward, however, you hear a low roar nearby... It reminds you of the quest you accepted at the bar. Your task is to defeat the monster assaulting the explorers... The hour of the monster's coming is at hand! You don't have long to find it, if you intend to begin your hunt now.

This FOE only patrols this area from 12 to 1. Once it gets past 1, it'll despawn and you'll be forced to wait for it again.

PC-88 Version

Thiclaw
HP: 951
AT: 38
DF: 29
Skills: Whirr
Item Drops: N/A
Description: Appeared for a single hour each noon. It was controlled by the tune from a thief’s flute.
Weakness: Volt (150%)
Resistance: Physical (25%)

Just a souped up Clawbug. Nothing special.

: Ha! No monster is too much for me!

PC-88 Version

You detect someone behind you and spin to face them, but it is only a guard.

The guard's face is hidden by his helm, but you're sure you've heard that voice before... You tell the guard of your quest from the Grand Duchy.

: Hmm...

: Eh, we were sent to kill a monster that was attacking explorers.

: Wow, sounds tough. I bet it's made you thirsty. Why don't you all have some of my water?

: Oh, thanks!

Emilia takes the water skin and drinks the first gulp. Something belatedly dawns on you...

: Wait, didn't Cass mention...

The guard before you shouldn't be here at all! Emilia realizes this too, and spits the water out!

: You bas- ack!

As Emilia gasps in pain, the rest of the party draws their weapons! The pseudo-guard smoothly dodges, landing on a nearby branch out of your reach.

: Tch. Two for two... You're smarter than I thought. Time for you to die already!

Before you know it, the pseudo-guard disappears into the Labyrinth. You now recognize him as the thief who tricked you before... Twice now, you have been a victim of his mischief! When you have a moment, return to the bar and report this nonsense.

Your first party member will lose 10 HP after that quest.

: You all right, Emilia?

: Yeah I'm fine. Hey Fedot?

: Yeah?

: We didn't go to the store.

: Uh huh.

: That means we still don't have any Warp Wires!

: I was hoping no one would notice.

GOOD GOING FETUS! You forgot the Warp Wire once, and somehow forgot to buy more right after making that mistake! Your LPer ladies and gentlemen! :bravo: Oh well, it's not a big deal. The enemies aren't a threat anymore and it's a short trip to the Geomagnetic Field. A Warp Wire isn't really required in any of these games, it's just really convenient. I mean, you could technically play any of these games without ever using one of those. Though I wouldn't advise doing that.

PC-88 Version

: Ahh, there yeh are. How was it? Find any good treasure?

: We found a thief. Who tried to kill us.

: It was the same thief from before.

: Eh...? That thief again!? So it was all his doing, eh? I asked around here and there since that last incident. I heard the treasure yeh tried to get last time was a flute to control monsters. It only works on a few species, but it's still bad news. I assumed he got it to steal something from another floor, but... I never thought he was after the explorers's loot all this time. I'll keep making inquiries, so keep yer shirt on.

: Thank you, Cass.

: Ah, and I can't forget yer reward, of course. Yeh killed the monster, so here yeh go. G'luck!

That quest doesn't appear until you complete Just out of reach. The Evil Mist reduces the damage taken from elemental attacks, but its a bit less effective than using a single elemental mist. It does stack with those, which is something to keep in mind.

PC-88 Version

Fedot's level up reminded me that I haven't spent all our party's skill points yet. Oh, and remember to come at night so you can get past the ice tile blocking the way.

Frederik takes a point in War Edge.

Fedot also increases his TP pool.

Maverick is now maxing out Patch Up. It heals 9% of our party's HP after battle.

Gilbert is leveling up Stamina.

Oh hey another level up.

We can never have too much TP. I put 2 points in TP Up.

This next room is a Darksoar minefield our party's banquet room.

: Feeding time!

: I'll take everything.

: Hey, save some for us!

Unless your party is really terrible, Darksoars should be food for them at this point.

Oh, look at this poor FOE. If they didn't murder my party horribly back on the 11th floor, I would almost feel sorry for them.

There's 5 of them in this room. Spoilers: They all died horribly.

The last item point, the Mine point, is here.

I wish synchronized exp bars were still a thing, because that would be less annoying for me when I have to take screenshots.

I would have Cursecut by now if I wasn't brain dead.

Patch Up heals 10% now.

I would've loved to have both Stamina and Health maxed out for the boss fight, but I'll have to make do. I am a bit over leveled anyway.

: Secret paaaaaaaaa-

: Just go through already!

: I think I'll stick with my old gun.

Hmm, giving up 10 points of TP, which is a valuable resource, for an extra 5 points of attack when Fedot's already hitting hard. Yeah, no thank you.

:eyepop: Doubt I'll need it for the boss, but it's a nice treasure.

The beautiful stillness calms your hearts, but the hall has its share of danger. Your veteran explorer's senses detect a powerful aura from the center of the icy lake! Take great caution should you continue to investigate the hall! If you proceed forth, you will inevitably encounter a terrible demon!

: I'm getting a bad feeling about this room.

: Yeah, let's come back here once we're properly prepared.

The boss is in this room.

And heading down leads you back to this shortcut for easy access. It also means you don't have to come at night to deal with the boss.

: Okay, I'd say we're done for today.

: Wait a minute.

: We're still missing part of the map.

: Hm, good catch.

You listen carefully... It seems to be calling for help! Then again, this is the Labyrinth... what sounds like a human may be deceiving. There's an even chance that it is a monster mimicking distress to lure in explorers. But if it is a human... You weigh the risks of heading toward the voice.

: Someone's calling for help. We need to find them!

: But what if it's a monster?

: Then we'll just kill it! Duh!

: A convincing argument. Go forth!

You triangulate the voice's location and hurry towards it through the snow. You eventually come across an iron helm in the snow... It seems to belong to a guard! A guard appears to have been buried by an avalanche and trapped beneath the snow! You hurry and dig through the snow to rescue the guard.

: Holy crap. This guy is not in a good condition. Frederik, help me out with him!

: Of course!

: I... I'm saved... I was on my rounds... everything went white... I nearly died... down there... But you heard me... Thank you for coming...! You saved my life... This... is all I have... but please... take it...

The soldier removes money from under his helm and holds it out shakily to you. Could these be his secret savings...? You accept the guard's offer, and return to your journey.

: Really good catch, Maverick.

: Uh, yeah. Wasn't expecting a guard to be there.

: Well, I'd say it's really time to go back now.

Since we're at the boss, let's check up on the guild.

: Who would be twisted enough to turn humans into monsters? Wait, he's using dead bodies. That's even worse!

: I never knew that pandas loved cheese.

: Hmm. Wonder what this Ice Princess looks like. I just hope the trip through the 4th Stratum will go a lot smoother than last time.

: Okay, these notes I've written on the maps should stop us from forgetting the Warp Wires! I hope.

: La la la la la.

These five are the same, no need for more details.

: Oh, so that's what those two were up to? Huh, didn't think this whole thing would blow up like that.

Ken has 5 points in TP Up because his TP pool is ridiculously tiny.

: People turned into monsters? Hah! Who cares? I'll make sure they can't do a thing after I'm done with them!

Nick has maxed out Bait, which should be really good for the upcoming fight.

: Explorers being turned into monsters? Hope I don't end up like them.

Aliara has maxed out Dampen and started working on maxing out Corrupt, which is an AOE Curse. Handy for infinite TP while exploring. Not so much in boss battles.

: Lousy stupid cheese eating pandas.

Aegis has been working on getting his defenses up.

: Huh. That would explain the lack of corpses in the Labyrinth.

Pauline has 5 points in Apollon.

: None can best my formulas!

Bellamy has maxed out Analysis and has 5 points in TEC Up.

: :toughguy:

Ling has also been working on his defenses.

Next time, we take on the Stratum boss.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It's really damning when you look at them together and realize that Emilia has almost the same stats as Frederik, except she trades a bit of Tec for Agi. That's really not what you want to see on a class that's supposed to be a heavy hitter. :(

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah, the physical attackers in this would benefit from yet another thing Persona Q imports from the Persona series, physical attack skills costing HP instead of SP/TP.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe that's why people were saying the Highlander was overpowered when EOU came out. I think his skills have pretty small TP costs, too, especially the HP drain ones.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Highlander isn't overpowered in the context of story mode, where your party composition is effectively fixed. Basically he has some relatively inexpensive ways of hitting enemy groups and passives that trigger free healing for the party. This is useful early on, and when you reach the point where you no longer need that as a crutch you can respec him for heavy spike damage every 2-3 rounds. Blood Offense and Limitless are the only skills that are a cut above everything else. It's a good class but not a broken one.

Now, Knight of Fafnir from the remake of this game? That is what a broken class looks like.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Now, Knight of Fafnir from the remake of this game? That is what a broken class looks like.

Having seen him in action, and his absolutely ridiculous skillset, I have to say that he's pretty much the Mega Rayquaza of the EO series. I think he might have dethroned the EO2 Hexer as the most broken class in the series.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 23, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strategic Notes: Scylla

Scylla
HP: 3100
STR: 55
TEC: 55
VIT: 60
AGI: 50
LUC: 45
Exp: 100000
Item Drops:
-Common: Snow Vine - Unlocks Snow White (Bow), Pale Queen (Whip), and Nectar III. Limited Stock.
--These appendages steal warmth with their touch.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: Snow Bone - Kill within 3 turns. Unlocks Bindings. Limited stock.
--Sharp bone the size and shape of a large spear.
Description: A beautiful ice monster that inhabits the Frozen Grounds. The love in her heart froze long ago.
Weakness: Volt
Resistance: Stab

Skills:

Cry Soul: Uses the head. Randomly hits 3-7 party members. Deals heavy Cut damage.
Six Sins: Uses the legs. Attempts to inflict Confusion, Paralysis, and Blind on the party.
Tentacle: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict leg bind on the party.
Lullaby: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict sleep on the party.
Embrace: Uses the arms. Hits the party with a physical attack that deals severe Cut damage. Somewhat inaccurate. Used once her health drops below 50%.

The best strategy to deal with her is to save the game, and then reset. Then go to the sea- wait wrong game. Okay, Chimaera was a bit tough, but with proper planning it could be taken down. Hellion was a chump, especially if you brought a Dark Hunter. Then you come across this gal and she just completely wrecks your party. Scylla is somewhat infamous in that she's considered to be a brick wall for a lot of people. She's one of the tougher Stratum bosses and she will not go down easily.

She only has 2 attacks, but they both hit really hard. Cry Soul hits hard enough that it can kill some of our squishier members in one hit. It deals around 250 damage, and it doesn't care about rows since it's a ranged attack. (Scylla is screaming at you after all.) Embrace isn't really a threat. It hits really hard, for about 500 damage, but it's pretty inaccurate. It might tag like 1 or 2 people when she uses it but 1 or 2 deaths isn't a big deal. Until she uses Tentacle, at which point Embrace turns into a guaranteed party wipe. Leg binds reduce the AGI stat a lot which means your party members are much less likely to evade attacks. She'll use Embrace a lot more frequently as she gets closer to death. Which can be a good thing if she never bothers using Tentacle since it'll miss most of the time.

Now how would you go about dealing with her? Well there's a reason why Atlus lets you buy Mists at this point. Cut Mists really reduces Cry Soul's damage to the point where it won't one shot your squishier characters (100 damage.) Unfortunately while they will reduce Embrace's damage, it won't be enough to stop it from one shotting everyone. Also Mists are limited in stock, so you have to farm the items needed to buy them. Therica AXs are also really important for dealing with Tentacle, otherwise your party will eat an Embrace and you'll get a game over. If you've been saving those Therica BXs you've been getting, this is the fight you want to use them for. Status effects will really hinder your party from taking Scylla down. She's a bit resistant to Stab attacks, but she's not too resistant to them. She does have a Volt weakness, but it hardly matters unless you have an Alchemist. It's gonna be a pretty long fight, so going for her conditional drop on the 1st try is pretty much out of the question unless you bring a Revenge Hexer, or design a team specifically for dealing with her.

Easy Mode

: Gilbert's is probably the best support to bring to the fight. Heavily reduce the chances of our party getting hit with status effects? Check. Increasing our party's damage output? Check. Fast enough to unbind our team's legs even when he gets hit with leg bind? Check. His songs will make life easier for the rest of the team. Maybe a bit too easy. Unfortunately Health can't do anything about binds.

: Bellamy's Volt spells deals a disgusting amount of damage on their own to Scylla. From 600 to 700. If Gilbert is on the team, they'll deal 900 damage to her. Don't even get me started if Frederik is on the team as well. He is probably one of the best damage dealers that can be brought to the fight. The other damage characters just don't compare. They all deal around 100 damage to Scylla with their attacks. On the other hand, he might make the fight a bit too easy.

Offense

: Midareba deals a decent amount of damage to Scylla. Ken's not a bad choice for a damage dealer, he's probably one of the best ones.

: Fedot does a decent amount of damage with Ricochet, and he can heal up any status effects that Scylla inflicts with Medishot. But Scylla's Stab resistance does hamper his damage a bit.

: Nick's Bait skill will hit multiple times if Cry Soul hits the front row a lot. He can also try to bind Scylla's Head, which will shut most of her moveset down. Unfortunately she's pretty resistant to binds.

: Emilia has Shocker at her disposal, which can deal a decent amount of damage as long as she has a team built around her.

: Probably the worst choice for this fight. Ling's suicidal tendencies really hold him back. He can deal some decent damage with Rampage. That's about it. Oh, think he can just defend the others with Loyalty and parry Scylla's attacks to null them? He can't. Loyalty ignores the status of the user when it kicks in. So his parry ability won't activate when Loyalty procs.

Support

: Frederik is a decent support. He can heal our party, and boost our party's damage. He's also very fast. Unfortunately he has to use items in order to heal statuses or binds since his skillset can't deal with those.

: Your only weakness is Volt? Yeah, lemme change that real quick. Aliara will make life easier for our physical attackers with Dampen, especially the ones that use Stab attacks. Scylla actually isn't too resistant to Stab, but every little bit helps.

: Unfortunately, Aegis can't Provoke Cry Soul and then Parry all the hits. Provoke doesn't work on Cry Soul. Front Guard still works on it, so he can make that move a non issue, and help the front row survive an Embrace if it connects. He can't do anything for the back row, unfortunately.

: Maverick is another healer, but he's really slow at his job. He can undo binds on his own with Freedom and heal up status effects with Purify. But he's so slow that if Scylla hits everyone with Tentacle, and then decides to Embrace them, he won't be able to save them in time.

: Pauline's main role will be more of a supporting one than an offensive one. 1st Turn is great for our slower characters, especially members like Maverick or Fedot if status effects need to be dealt with.

Vote for up to any three party members. Votes must be bolded.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 22, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Aliara, Bellamy, Gilbert

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
After the hell you went through to GET here... Gilbert, Belamy, Frederik

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Ken, Bellamy, Gilbert

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Aliara, Ken, Fedot

No mercy.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aliara, Bellamy, Gilbert

agreed :getin:

Also I have only played the third game so I was really confused for a second looking at this boss page. And for you out there that didn't play EOIII, Scylla was THE grind boss. Basically you can take an npc to the fight and manipulate the RNG to instant her kill on the first turn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Maverick, Ling, Nick

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kemix posted:

After the hell you went through to GET here... Gilbert, Belamy, Frederik

This. Ride the Lightning! :science:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Emilia, Bellamy, Gilbert'

All Volt All the time

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Emilia, Bellamy and Gilbert.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I can't wait to see what comes next.

My vote goes to LPers choice.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Aliara, Gilbert, and Bellamy. Break her in half.

Some notes on Scylla:

:eng101:

Scylla is a monster from Greek mythology - specifically, Homer's Odyssey. Odysseus had to sail between a strait (now associated with the Strait of Messina between Italy and Sicily) to get to wherever he needed to go, and Scylla guarded it. She is a monstrous creature with four eyes and six dog-like heads extending from her waist. She also has twelve tentacles for legs and a cat's tail. Yeah, I don't really know, the Greeks were weird.

'Caught between Scylla and Charybdis' is a saying that actually comes from the Odyssey; Charybdis, a sea monster that was later somewhat changed to a whirlpool, and Scylla guarded that strait, killing anyone who tried to sail through. Odysseus was told to sail near Scylla; she would eat his sailors, but Charybdis would pull his entire craft down and smash it to bits. The saying is essentially 'having to choose between two lovely choices' where both options are bad; it's not unlike 'between a rock and a hard place', except for the fact that the second one means more 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Scylla's origin varies depending on the teller; some have her as the offspring between two primordial sea gods, while other have her as the child of Triton and Lamia. The one that I heard first, though, is that Scylla was originally just a regular woman at first (ignoring the fact that she was the daughter of a river god, but details) that caught the eye of Glaucus, a sea god that used to be mortal. She fled from him - he smelled like seaweed, what else did you expect? - and he went to Circe for a love potion. Circe fell in love with the guy herself, and - being a bitch - she went to the pool where Scylla was bathing and poured a vial of poison in it, transforming Scylla into her monstrous form.

For some weird reason, Greek mythology has a lot of 'I'm in love with a guy who's in love with someone else, so I'm going to murder that other person' in it. I guess they really hated love triangles or something.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Gilbert, Bellamy, Ken

Let's not have a repeat of reviving meat shields again.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Gilbert, Bellamy and Emilia.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maverick, Pauline, Aegis.

Hector Hard Mode. :getin:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Gilbert, Bellamy, Ken

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

GeneralYeti posted:

Aliara, Gilbert, and Bellamy. Break her in half.

Some notes on Scylla:

:eng101:

Scylla is a monster from Greek mythology - specifically, Homer's Odyssey. Odysseus had to sail between a strait (now associated with the Strait of Messina between Italy and Sicily) to get to wherever he needed to go, and Scylla guarded it. She is a monstrous creature with four eyes and six dog-like heads extending from her waist. She also has twelve tentacles for legs and a cat's tail. Yeah, I don't really know, the Greeks were weird.

'Caught between Scylla and Charybdis' is a saying that actually comes from the Odyssey; Charybdis, a sea monster that was later somewhat changed to a whirlpool, and Scylla guarded that strait, killing anyone who tried to sail through. Odysseus was told to sail near Scylla; she would eat his sailors, but Charybdis would pull his entire craft down and smash it to bits. The saying is essentially 'having to choose between two lovely choices' where both options are bad; it's not unlike 'between a rock and a hard place', except for the fact that the second one means more 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Scylla's origin varies depending on the teller; some have her as the offspring between two primordial sea gods, while other have her as the child of Triton and Lamia. The one that I heard first, though, is that Scylla was originally just a regular woman at first (ignoring the fact that she was the daughter of a river god, but details) that caught the eye of Glaucus, a sea god that used to be mortal. She fled from him - he smelled like seaweed, what else did you expect? - and he went to Circe for a love potion. Circe fell in love with the guy herself, and - being a bitch - she went to the pool where Scylla was bathing and poured a vial of poison in it, transforming Scylla into her monstrous form.

For some weird reason, Greek mythology has a lot of 'I'm in love with a guy who's in love with someone else, so I'm going to murder that other person' in it. I guess they really hated love triangles or something.

Also because I've heard the wrong way more commonly her name is pronounced Skylla (because, well, that's actually her name and any time you see it spelled with a 'c' it's just because that's the choice the translators usually make).

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

: Unfortunately, Aegis can't Provoke Cry Soul and then Parry all the hits. Provoke doesn't work on Cry Soul. Front Guard still works on it, so he can make that move a non issue, and help the front row survive an Embrace if it connects. He can't do anything for the back row, unfortunately.
Expect to see this situation crop more and more often as the game goes on. A lot of EO2's design decisions seem to have been made specifically to gently caress with strategies from the first game. Provoke, you see, only increases the odds of the enemy AI targeting you. Cry Soul, and many many enemy techniques in the future are just straight up RNG-based, because gently caress you. This is one of the times when a Beast can prove much better than a Protector: the Loyalty passive can trigger and block randomized attacks. The downside is this usually results in a dead Beast because a stack of HP will still vanish in a hurry if you're taking hits with a Hexer or Gunner's defenses. Those extra turns it buys you can be the difference between victory and defeat, though.

On that note... Ling, Bellamy, Frederick. I'm fine giving you a team that can easily defeat her with a little luck. The entertainment value for me comes from seeing how long it takes for your luck to kick in. The Labyrinth will judge your worthiness. :unsmigghh:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Rangpur posted:

On that note... Ling, Bellamy, Frederick. I'm fine giving you a team that can easily defeat her with a little luck. The entertainment value for me comes from seeing how long it takes for your luck to kick in. The Labyrinth will judge your worthiness. :unsmigghh:
Remember that this is the same person who kept getting King Grimoires without even trying.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Bellamy, Nick, Aliara

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Nick, Bellamy and Dr. Fetus's choice.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Txn posted:

Remember that this is the same person who kept getting King Grimoires without even trying.
Obviously I'm operating under the assumption that luck is a finite resource and his will run out at this specific junction.

(...meanwhile I still haven't gotten that stupid bird's grimoire to drop.)

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Aliara, Nick, and Fedot.

Also, you can't just just post this...

Dr. Fetus posted:

Having seen him in action, and his absolutely ridiculous skillset, I have to say that he's pretty much the Mega Rayquaza of the EO series. I think he might have dethroned the EO2 Hexer as the most broken class in the series.

And not share the juicy details. A class even stupider than Hexer? :allears:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Gilbert, Bellamy and Fedot

I just want easy mode for once

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.
Gilbert, Bellamy, Ken

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Bellamy, Ken, Aegis

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Current Standings:

Bellamy: 17
Gilbert: 13
Ken: 6
Aliara: 5
Nick: 4

Emilia: 3
Frederik: 3
Fedot: 3
Maverick: 2
Ling: 2
Aegis: 2
Pauline: 1

And 4 votes that I can rig this with. Well I didn't expect you all to give me a wrecking ball for this fight. Normally Scylla takes like 10-15 turns to kill. I might actually be able to get that conditional drop depending on the team I get.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I can't wait to see what comes next.

Well this post reminded of something I want to ask the thread since we're now 3 Strata in. What do you think the next Stratum will look like?

Transient People posted:

Also, you can't just just post this...

And not share the juicy details. A class even stupider than Hexer? :allears:

If you insist. I'm gonna spoiler some of this since it's remake info, and because he doesn't operate like any other EO class. Also because some of this stuff is so incredibly broken. Even reading over his skillset, I still can't believe that this class exists.

-Okay, his main gimmick is using the Force mechanic (Which charges much faster in the remake) to transform for 3 turns and get more powerful. Transforming completely heals him, his HP is doubled, his attack power increases by 1.5, and he gets access to some special skills that he can't use in his normal form. The HP cap is normally 999. He can reach past the 1000s while transformed. Only downside is that he's slower.
-He's the only class in the series that learns new skills from the plot advancing. More specifically, when you kill a boss.
-So status and bind dispel skills in the series cure one or the other, never both at the same time with some exceptions. Fafnir can get rid of both and convert that to Force. He can't use the skill if he can't act. (i.e. asleep, petrified, etc.)
-He can overcharge Force while in combat, getting more than the 100 points of Force every other class is limited to. So he can theoretically transform again after his first one wears off.
-After a certain point in the plot he gains the ability to passively heal himself for 30% of his max HP per turn while he's transformed. Oh, and he can endure a fatal blow once with 1 HP left so he's even harder to kill.
-After killing Hellion, he can reset the time left on his transformation back to 3 turns.
-The ability he gets from killing Scylla, Accelerate, let's him move 3 times in one turn! This isn't using the same move 3 times, he's able to choose 3 separate actions in the same turn. And it completely negates his slow speed and lets him act first in the turn!

The best part about all this? They might not have intended for the EO2 Hexer to be so broken, but Fafnir is intentionally overpowered. Yes, he was deliberately designed to destroy everything. Here's his skillset on GameFAQs if you want to read more. Beware of spoilers.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Well so far the stratum seem to be cycling through seasons. First was a cheery summery glade, second was an autumn forest, third was a frigid alpine area... the next either will swing back around to a spring jungle or go double-down on the cold aspect and be an inhospitable glacier.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It's not a difficult thing to work out the pattern to the Strata in EO2 but what they choose to represent the 4th one was a pleasant surprise. Purely by the aesthetics of the areas this game has most of my favorites. (Not the postgame though, that's EO3. Gigantic pain in the rear end though it is, I still adore the look of it.)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Well so far the stratum seem to be cycling through seasons. First was a cheery summery glade, second was an autumn forest, third was a frigid alpine area... the next either will swing back around to a spring jungle or go double-down on the cold aspect and be an inhospitable glacier.

I'm guessing a lava level just to be annoying and confusing. With teleporters.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm gonna make a shot in the dark here and guess... cherry blossoms? Lots and lots of cherry blossoms.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm putting my guess down on it just swinging around and making the Labyrinth nonsensical and ridiculous again and putting the lava area next. Either that or it's show how we're getting to the final boss area and it's gonna be the penultimate area to that.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm gonna make a shot in the dark here and guess... cherry blossoms? Lots and lots of cherry blossoms.

That's what I was thinking :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
If it follows the seasonal pattern, then spring and cherry blossoms/some other representation of spring. Otherwise, it's going to be a desert or something weird just like in the first game.

• Locked thread