Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Look, Alchemist kicked rear end in Untold, I'm not sorry for Bellamy. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Alchemist is actually 100% viable in this game, it's just outclassed by the big players.

Farmer is essentially voting for an empty slot that might bind something or inflict a status ailment once in a lifetime in the game where ailments and binds are at their weakest

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Compromise: Give someone a farmer subclass.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Yeah, this. Cannot wait to see it happen, it's gonna be glorious. The only thing I can ask for is that Fetus saves the Super Arrange of the first battle track for the last fight of the postgame, because I can't think of a better way to cap the LP of an amazing game than with an amped up :krad: remix of what's pretty much the party's theme while that insanely bullshit boss gets put down. But there's a whole lot of room to cover before we get there...like this game's postgame boss. :getin:

EDIT: Also,I see no reason why farmer submissions can't be accepted for EO3...it's just that they should probably be exempted from party votes and just called out for farming when appropriate.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 8, 2015

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

Compromise: Give someone a farmer subclass.

Farmer is a pretty good subclass actually, they have a lot of useful skills.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

NO.
For your Sanity Fetus:
Don't let the thread decide.

If you really want to leave it to a vote: Make up full parties and have the thread vote on those. Ask the thread to pick a class and make a character out of them.

And then you can pick and choose which class gets in the party out of all the personalities.

The whole time this LP was going on, I thought Aegis was supposed to be a spy trying to sabotage the guild.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Fetus picks the classes, everyone votes on the subclasses. :getin:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nakar posted:

Fetus picks the classes, everyone votes on the subclasses. :getin:

Everyone becomes /farmer.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Nthing the :getin: excitement! There's a reason III is the game I'm currently playing thanks to this thread and not IV (or 1, or comedy option this actual Etrian Odyssey) (Also I own no Untolds and the more they're mentioned the more I want to fix that).

I almost thought about having a farmer subclass because I do miss IV's bind and status supremacy. I have a ninja with maxed Fukubari, but it's not the same!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Binds and Ailments wear off ridiculously fast in EO3 and the problem is compounded by fights taking a pretty long time in general

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Hivac posted:

Binds and Ailments wear off ridiculously fast in EO3 and the problem is compounded by fights taking a pretty long time in general

Also it's rough trying to actually make a dedicated binder or ailment-causing character. I think Wildling is the only class with broad access to them, but they're all done through the summons so you can't switch from one to another efficiently.

That's actually one reason I don't like EO3 as much as the others. One of the signature elements of the series is how important ailments and binds are to combat, IMO, and that isn't really true in EO3.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm glad you're LPing another of these games, Fetus. I've never played any myself but I was curious about them and now I know some stuff, plus I love your writing.

In fact, on that topic, please do continue with the characterizations and writing like you did here, they're super nice to read.

Also holy poo poo you destroyed that poor Wyrm. Superbosses should not be humilliated that badly.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zurai posted:

Also it's rough trying to actually make a dedicated binder or ailment-causing character. I think Wildling is the only class with broad access to them, but they're all done through the summons so you can't switch from one to another efficiently.

That's actually one reason I don't like EO3 as much as the others. One of the signature elements of the series is how important ailments and binds are to combat, IMO, and that isn't really true in EO3.

Yeah the game is buff centric as hell.
You pretty much have to have some way of erasing buffs on enemies as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Okay first of all, I'm not doing a 5 Farmer run. It wouldn't even be difficult, just tedious since the main game is a joke. I'm not doing a mono class run for any of the other classes either, since the invalidates one of the main points of these games. It would make for a decent challenge run, but that would be incredibly boring to watch.

Also, you do not get to decide what my skill builds are. Throw the worst party possible at me, I'll still beat the game with it. But I'm not going to play the game with absolutely no tools to work with at all. That would be impossible and boring to watch.

NO.
For your Sanity Fetus:
Don't let the thread decide.

If you really want to leave it to a vote: Make up full parties and have the thread vote on those.

What sanity? :confused:

RareAcumen posted:

And then you can pick and choose which class gets in the party out of all the personalities.

The whole time this LP was going on, I thought Aegis was supposed to be a spy trying to sabotage the guild.

Blame my lovely writing for that one. I had no idea what to do with that character when I read that bio. Eventually that just never went anywhere. Because yes, for my first LP, let's do a narrative one! I'm sure that's a great ideahahahaha. It's why I'm not really keen on sticking with that style.

Zurai posted:

Binds and ailments weren't really that good in the DS EO games. Like in the first game, FOEs had a 15% to 25% resistance to all ailments. (Ailment resistance was one stat in EO1. If they were immune to poison, they were immune to everything. It was changed in the later games.) And bosses had a 1% to 5% resistance to ailments. Ailments aren't too good in EO2 either because they're still unreliable. Only binds are reliable, and that's because of Dominate. If that skill didn't exist, binds wouldn't be so hot in EO2 either. Ailments and binds were theoretically supposed to be more useful in 3. On paper anyway. But it didn't work out that way for reasons I'll explain in the EO3 thread. EO4 is when ailments and binds really turned good.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 8, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Blame my lovely writing for that one. I had no idea what to do with that character when I read that bio. Eventually that just never went anywhere. Because yes, for my first LP, let's do a narrative one! I'm sure that's a great ideahahahaha. It's why I'm not really keen on sticking with that style.
Personally, even with one or two things like that, I greatly enjoyed the writing for this LP, and while you'll do what you think best, I for one would love to see EO3 get a similar treatment (and yes, :ironicat:)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hey, if it makes you feel better, it's still better than most video games when they tackle making characters that're asses! :v: Aegis is just a dick but he's not also gonna turn out to be a traitor either! That's revolutionary for video games!

Anyone remember Whitman from that New Tomb Raider game? Anyone remember that obvious 'gonna betray you vibe' that dude radiated to anyone who wasn't in the game and made dense because it has to be a surprise to protagonists?

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

theshim posted:

Personally, even with one or two things like that, I greatly enjoyed the writing for this LP, and while you'll do what you think best, I for one would love to see EO3 get a similar treatment (and yes, :ironicat:)

I feel like I've complimented your writing 18 times already, but one more for the (almost there) road! This sums up my thoughts.

Although my ultimate vote is doing the LP YOU enjoy, because I'm pretty sure we'll all follow regardless.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I just liked the idea of the guy who is supposed to be the defender and has sort of a paladin vibe going on is actually a huge dick. I looked through the team roster to that point and was like, we need someone a little less sane to round things out! Aliara ended up filling that role pretty nicely though, so whatever. Sorry for being unclear, I'll do better for EO3. For what its worth, I think your attempt at a narrative has gone over very well and you've managed to both fit to the game's story and still have your characters retain their unique voices. So good job on that~

Also, what exactly is so bad about the Shinryu Sword from EO1?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Also, what exactly is so bad about the Shinryu Sword from EO1?

The 2nd drops aren't conditionals. They're rare drops.

Dragons also took a good 15+ turns to kill with a GOOD party in EO1.

Drake was in the middle of loving nowhere and its droprate was 5%.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Remember that EO1 has pretty much no shortcuts for easy in between movement. This also means you have to do the B29F maze with 38 or 39 teleports every time you want to go down to B30F. :suicide:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
And people say Floor Jump was a bad thing. :v:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Remember that EO1 has pretty much no shortcuts for easy in between movement. This also means you have to do the B29F maze with 38 or 39 teleports every time you want to go down to B30F. :suicide:

I made drat well sure I had the shortcut ready to be opened when i went through that garbage hole

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hivac posted:

The 2nd drops aren't conditionals. They're rare drops.

Dragons also took a good 15+ turns to kill with a GOOD party in EO1.

Drake was in the middle of loving nowhere and its droprate was 5%.

Formaldehyde also didn't exist back then, and Scavenge in EO1 wasn't as god tier as EO2 Scavenge. It was a multiplier, not a flat addition. At level 10, it provided a 130% boost to the drop rates. Which meant that the 5% drop rate got boosted to a measly 6% drop rate. I mean, it did stack, so if you had 4 Scavenge users (Unlike EO2, you NEED a Protector for those fights, and they don't have Scavenge), it would increase to a 284% boost. Which increases the drop rate to a measly 14%. Although Dragon had a 10% drop rate for his scale, which would have been a 28% drop rate with 4 Scavenge users. (Okay, drop rates in EO1 do factor in the party's total luck, but that ranges from like an extra 11% boost to something else. Don't feel like doing more math at the moment.)

And uh, something I've said at the beginning of this LP.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The password contains your EO1 party, as well as what weapons they had equipped. They're not used in this game. Funnily enough, back when EO1 was the only EO game out, when people found out what the password contained, they tried to farm up the strongest sword in the game for all their characters. Which involved selling 3 rare drops with a 5% droprate from some postgame bosses to unlock. And then EO2 didn't even use that information.

Those poor guys.

FrickenMoron posted:

More like the entire 6th Stratum had to be completed in one go. EO2 has a checkpoint with the Geomagnetic Pole. EO1 didn't have that, and the level design didn't include any shortcuts. There was one on the 30th floor, but if you didn't kill Dragon, you couldn't access it. Also, if you didn't kill Wyrm, you couldn't fight the true final boss. (Killing Drake just lets you access a healing spring.)

Oh yeah, something I kind of forgot to mention (and need to shoehorn in somewhere), killing the Dragons (or at least Wyrm) was mandatory in EO1. Not the case in EO2 or the rest of the games. You can complete the postgame without ever fighting them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Reading this thread makes me feel blessed that I started with EO4.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Zurai posted:

I actually really liked EO3's change-up from EO1&2's classes- having passive healing be semi-viable and having such flavorful, fun classes was cool, and a nice change from basically every RPG's 'oh look, a fighter :geno:'. But I do agree that divvying up the binds/ailments like they did kind of... really sucked.

Like, could anyone besides the Buccaneer reliably inflict head bind? Who the gently caress knows v:confused:v

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reliably?
Yeah not really.

The gladiator's mace tree has damage+binds though.
God knows why you would take the mace tree.

:negative:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Reliably?
Yeah not really.

The gladiator's mace tree has damage+binds though.
God knows why you would take the mace tree.

:negative:

I stand firm on my decision to take the mace tree in my current EO3 run. I got enough of swords and Blade Rave last run, I wanna see and be disappointed by Nine Smashes this time around :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I stand firm on my decision to take the mace tree in my current EO3 run. I got enough of swords and Blade Rave last run, I wanna see and be disappointed by Nine Smashes this time around :v:
It's good and disappointing :shepicide:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Nine Smashes is the living incarnation of the 50/50/90 rule.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I am posting because I went through the EOU2 artbook and I found this:

I had no idea.The little bow makes it.

I still love EO3 a lot but looking back on it, the balance was a mess. I never had a Gladiator. I had a Buccaneer who I never quite got to Pincushion, a...Hoplite? Probably?, a Ninja without duping, a Princess (who owned), and, like, a Zodiac. I quit at about the 4th Stratum because I couldn't take it anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Karma Guard posted:

I actually really liked EO3's change-up from EO1&2's classes- having passive healing be semi-viable and having such flavorful, fun classes was cool, and a nice change from basically every RPG's 'oh look, a fighter :geno:'. But I do agree that divvying up the binds/ailments like they did kind of... really sucked.

Like, could anyone besides the Buccaneer reliably inflict head bind? Who the gently caress knows v:confused:v

:siren:WARNING: MATH:siren:

Well, having them, or any other class be reliable with their ailments or binds depends on how high their LUC and TEC stats are. Now the max base infliction rates of most ailments and binds are 50% percent on the Wildling, and 60% on most other classes. This may seem low compared to the EO2's Hexer's base 87% infliction rates on their skills, but a lot of stuff got changed under the hood in the transition from EO2 to EO3. For one thing, TEC is now used in determining the infliction rates of an ailment or bind, and both TEC and LUC are far more important in EO3. Both of those stats are used in this formula, and it takes both the Inflictor's and Target's LUC and TEC stats into account.

2 * LUC + TEC = Ailment Stat

Now the Target's Ailment Stat is subtracted from the Inflictor's Ailment Stat, like so:

Inflictor's Ailment Stat - Target's Ailment Stat = Ailment Differrence.

The Ailment difference is then used to determine which formula will be used to determine the infliction rate. Now this part gets weird because a pretty significant bug gets involved. Let's take the Buccaneer's Hanging skill as an example, which has a 60% Base Accuracy to inflict head binds at level 10.

If the Ailment Difference is at or above 22, then Accuracy = Base Accuracy * 2

If the Buccaneer's LUC and TEC stat are much higher than the enemy's, then Hanging would have a 120% chance to inflict head bind at this point.

If the Ailment Difference ranges from -17 to 21, this formula gets used.

Accuracy = [(1.17 + (0.83 * (Sin((0.07*Ailment Difference) - 0.20)))) * Base Accuracy]

If you plug in 0, the final result would essentially be 1 * Base Accuracy, so nothing really interesting happens there. But if you plug in the lowest value, which is -17, the final result is 0.3535 * Base Accuracy. If you plug in Hanging's Base Accuracy at level 10 into this formula, then the Buccaneer would only have a 21% chance to inflict head bind. Ouch!

Now what if the Ailment Difference was at -18 or lower? Well this is where the bug kicks in. This formula gets used for some reason.

If the Ailment difference is at or below -18, then Accuracy = Base Accuracy

So the Buccaneer would have a 60% chance to land a head bind with Hanging at this point. Yes, having far lower LUC and TEC stats will actually benefit the Buccaneer more than having slightly lower LUC and TEC stats than the enemy. But this is a double edged sword, since this benefits your enemy as well!

We're not done yet! No matter which formula is used, the Accuracy value then has a random number from 0 to 9 added to it. So theoretically, the max chance for Hanging to inflict a head bind could be 129%. THEN that value is multiplied by the target's resistance to that ailment or bind.

tl;dr: You want to make ailments and binds more reliable? Then increase those LUC and TEC stats!

Bellmaker posted:

Nine Smashes is the living incarnation of the 50/50/90 rule.

Not exactly. See, Nine Smashes has an accuracy penalty. But said penalty gets bigger as you level it up. From levels 1 to 3, the penalty is -30. The penalty increases to -40 at levels 4 through 7. At levels 8 through 10, the penalty is -55. The is different from most other attacking skills, that just have a -10 accuracy penalty at level 1, and -1 once you've maxed out the skill. Note that I didn't use a % there. This is because that number is plugged into a formula that also takes TEC, AGI, and LUC into account when calculating accuracy. All of which are the Gladiator's worst stats, and they're very low on top of that. Once you take all that into consideration, the Gladiator actually has a 13% to 71% chance of landing each hit.

And even if you jump through all the hoops to make it work, Nine Smashes only has an average damage output of 495% damage. (Assuming there's no accuracy penalty, which would bring it down by a lot.) Also there's a chance you'll only roll 2 hits several times in a row. Compare that to Blade Rave, which only has an average damage output of 427%, but the damage is far more consistent, and the skill doesn't even have an accuracy penalty. Nine Smashes is terrible. Do not invest in it. It is by far the definition of a trap skill.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 9, 2015

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
B-b-but leg binds!!!!! :suicide:

wereboat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 9, 2015

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Very much looking forward to the Eo3 run, and echoing the comments that one of the reasons I stuck around was how funny the dialogue between characters.

I'd not object if Fedot showed up again as an old Arbalest

"I'm getting too old for this poo poo, I can't count how many times I've killed these loving dragons"

McGwee
May 1, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Reading this thread makes me feel blessed that I started with EO4.

You and me both buddy :hfive:

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Hm.
I'll have to take notes for when I restart my EO2 game.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

cdyoung posted:

Hm.
I'll have to take notes for when I restart my EO2 game.

Seriously, is there going to be a test at the end of the LP on all this math? I love these write ups, but at the same time holy poo poo this series.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I've played every game in the series a shitload and I don't math nearly as much as Fetus.

It really helps to let you bust the game in half though but that's every JRPG at that point honestly.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Again and Again and Again... Again

Okay, so we're gonna tackle the 29th floor in this update. Now it's a huge teleporter maze mixed in with actual dungeon. I don't want to spend more time than I need to in this place, so I'm showing you this GameFAQs map if you want to know where all the teleporters lead. Now if you look closely, you'll notice that there are some ares that you kind of have to go out of your way for. I won't be going through all the teleporters, but I'll cover all the important stuff and how to get there. Anyways, let's get started.

PC-88 Version

This teleporter is one of the fastest ways to get to the exit.

PC-88 Version

OH GOD NO!

Cactlord
HP: 745
AT: 62
DF: 62
Exp: 9075
Skills: Needles
Item Drops:
-Common: Dry Thorn - 10 needed for Chidori (Katana.) 20 needed for Volt Whip.
--A durable thorn the color of rotting wood.
-Rare: Cactus Cap - 1 needed for King s Arm. 10 needed for Speed Boot.
--Embedded iron filaments have turned it brown.
-Conditional: N/A
Description: This cyclopean cactus monster glistens in the dark and turns travelers into pincushions.
Weakness: N/A
Resistance: Immune to Poison. Fire (0%), Ice (75%), Volt (75%)

Cactlords aren't too special. They're the muscle of the random encounters on the 29th floor. Needles is a random target attack that deals a decent amount of damage. Don't let fights last too long against them.

Mothlord
HP: 722
AT: 59
DF: 60
Exp: 7717
Skills: Scales
Item Drops:
-Common: Red Quill - 1 needed for Beam Whip, Curse Gas, and Curse Ring. 10 needed for Greed Bow.
--Thin, nebula-patterned wings of the king moth.
-Rare: Red Lymph - 10 needed for Blood Nail.
--Incredibly poisonous moth lymphs.
-Conditional: N/A
Description: This king of moths wears wings the color of death, and its powder carries a debilitating poison.
Weakness: Volt (150%)
Resistance: Fire (75%)

On the other hand, these guys are BUTTS. Scales is an AOE that has a very high chance to inflict Confusion or Curse, which are probably some of the worst ailments to get hit by. Do not let them live past the first turn, you WILL regret it.

I'm not showing ANY mercy here because the encounters on this floor are incredibly dangerous. Every new enemy that shows up won't get a chance to do anything unless I get blindsided.

PC-88 Version

Oh, and there's some Asterios here too.

: :woop:

: :gibs:

: :ughh:

At least I got some setup for Revenge.

Believe it or not, this could be a potentially useful item on this floor. And there's an Asterios spawn there.

Another Asterios spawn, but I didn't notice that one, and accidentally walked backwards into it.

: :gibs:

This was the result of my incompetence.

This teleporter doesn't take us anywhere relevant.

But this one is the fast track to getting out of here.

Now you need to take this teleporter next in order to stay on the fast track.

But this one takes us to a side area, so let's take a look at that place first.

And more Asterios spawns. These are the last ones on this floor.

Ugh, would have preferred the Therica BX at this point. Also, there's Hexgourd spawns on the two places I've marked.

This teleporter is where I want to go to explore more side areas.

Just take the bottom teleporter here.

PC-88 Version

Crawlest
HP: 730
AT: 60
DF: 60
Exp: 7875
Skills: Thread
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Short Nail - 5 needed for Angel Cry (Gun.) 20 needed for Royal Axe.
--Black caterpillar fangs that resemble needles.
-Drop 2: Ebon Skin - 1 needed for Ruby Gage. 10 needed for Moon Coat.
--Highly flexible caterpillar hide.
-Drop 3: Gum String - See 5th Stratum Chop info.
Description: The most lethal of the pillbug family traps its prey and feeds on their still-living bodies.
Weakness: Volt (150%)
Resistance: Fire (25%)

These guys are also butts. They don't hit too hard, but Thread is an AOE that randomly binds your party's body parts. Also if they get paired up with Mothlords, they can completely lock down your party. Once again, kill them on the first turn to ensure that doesn't happen.

: Aliara, you know what overkill is, right?

: HAHAHAHA! I'M A GOD!... Dess. Or something.

: Guess not.

PC-88 Version

Now that's much better.

Now this door does lead to another side area, but the pack got full again. So once again I restock supplies and unlock new things.

The Ruby Gage is the Ronin's ultimate glove. Yes. Ultimate glove. You're probably wondering if the other clases have other pieces of ultimate equipment aside from weapons and armors. They don't. Only the Ronin does. In fact, they actually have a full set of ultimate equipment while the other classes are just stuck with a weapon and a piece of armor. This speaks volumes about the class balance.

Anyways, back to the 6th Stratum.

:signings:

Now that's more like it!

Though coming here dumps us back at the entrance.

: AaaaaaaAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

: I think he's starting to lose it.

: Yeah, this place already feels worse than that other floor.

: I wonder if we're ever getting out of here.

Anyways, back at that door earlier.

There's a new FOE here.

: We are the masters of thinking things through.

: I don't need any lip right now, Frederik.

PC-88 Version

Iceking
Type: Red
Behavior: Patrol, Bloodthirsty
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 7000
AT: 82
DF: 82
Skills: Ice Blow
Item Drops:
-Common: Ice Horn - 3 needed for Polar Rod.
--Iceking horn that's as sharp as a sword.
-Rare: N/A
-Conditional: Ice Bone - Kill within 5 turns. 1 needed for Gungnir (Gun.)
--Blade-like spines from the Iceking's backbone.
Description: This dragonlike monster can freeze the water in the air to entrap its enemies whole.
Weakness: Volt (125%)
Resistance: Physical (75%), Ice (0%)

This is the last FOE in the game, and it's can tear through your party if you're not careful. For one thing, these guys are aggressive, unlike the other elemental kings. They do have the same movement pattern of moving only once every two turns, but this changes if they detect a fight going on, at which point they're movement pattern changes to one tile per turn as they hunt you down.

As for the Iceking itself, its regular physical attacks hit hard. Ice Blow is a light hitting AOE Ice attack, but it has a decent chance to inflict sleep. Not too bad if you're dealing with an Iceking on their own, but if they join in on a fight, things can get hairy.

Well, crap.

: Mmm... 5 more minutes... boss...

: Mmph... Goddammit... Nick... Can't you stay standing for more than mmmm...

: ...Really!? REALLY!? That's what he dreams about!?

: You'll regret that...

I wouldn't say that Icekings are that tough, but for an underpowered team, it's really unlikely that you'll manage to get their conditional drop off of them.

PC-88 Version

Anyways, these are their patrol paths. The Icekings travel in opposite directions, so it can be pretty easy to get boxed in if you're not careful.

It probably wouldn't take much effort to climb the tree, take the fruit, and eat it.

: So, who's going for that fruit?

: Uh, not me. I don't need another one exploding on me.

: I'll go for it.

Ken climbs the tree and takes a bite from the fruit.

: MMM! This is DELICIOUS!

The sweet-tasting fruit's juice instantly washed away the tension and exhaustion. Extremely satisfied with the fruit, you resume your journey.

You really want to say yes to this event because not only is it a HP and TP restore for your first character, but saying no gets your party ambushed by 3 Mothlords. So you'll actually pay for your paranoia here.

Here's this floor's Mine point.

This was actually a detour, but it does lead us to this teleporter, which is the fast track out of here.

I won't take that one just yet. If you weren't taking that detour, this teleporter would be the one you would take next.

Through all your travels in the Labyrinth, you've never smelled anything like it. You may investigate the smell or proceed with your journey.

Frederik takes a few steps towards the source of the smell.

: Mmmm... That smell. It- AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Immediately afterward, you hear a thud, followed by a scream! You run into the direction that Frederik went!

: GRAMPS! You okay!?

: Holy crap, he's not moving!

: I don't feel a pulse either! Oh wait, there it is.

Three N’s?

You stay where you are until Frederik wakes up, then leave the area.

Down here is the floor's Chop Point.

And that door takes us back to this teleporter I skipped earlier.

Which takes us to this door. But the pack got full, again. So back to Lagaard!

Now the Pain Aspis is an odd piece of equipment. It provides a huge increase in armor and STR, but it comes with an all stats down penalty. See, the All Stats down penalty decreases the character's resistance to all elements, so they take more damage from everything. But the amount of defense provided by the shield actually cancels that out, so this is essentially a shield that provide 0 defense and a 30 point increase in STR. Sounds good right? Not really, because All Stats down also includes ailment and bind resistances. Which means that whoever equips this would be hit with stuff like instant death or confusion a lot more often than normal. I don't recommend equipping this on a Protector, unless you want yours to be a damage dealer for some reason. Could be handy for a Landsknecht, but I'd say this shield isn't worth it.

Anyways, back to where we were before.

Here's another shortcut, but this one has a specific condition you have to fill in order to go through it.

The forest wall blocking your way has a passage you may be able to squeeze through.

: There's no way I'm splitting us up in this place. We'll just have to come back later with a smaller team.

Your party reaches the consensus that it's too dangerous to get separated in the Labyrinth. You give up on the passageway and leave the area.

Yeah, you have to go back through that teleporter maze again with only 3 members to get through here.

And here's more Icekings.

OH COME ON!

: Keep that whip... and stake away from me...

: You'll pay for this. You'll all pay for this!

And there's another Iceking.

: A curse best served cold.

: That's not the same one that took you out.

: I don't care! They can all die for what they did to me!

These Icekings are easier to get past because both of them travel in the same direction.

It's difficult to make out, but shaking the tree would likely cause it to drop.

: Now, what's up there?

: Nick, what the hell are you doing?

Nick grabs the tree's trunk and begins to shake. The shadow from the branch above does indeed fall to the ground, as expected. But it is a giant, vicious-seeming bug! It chitters angrily and attacks your party!

: Goddammit Nick!

PC-88 Version

Yes, Scatter About actually plays here. If you get into a fight through an event in this Stratum, that song plays. I think this is just a programming quirk that's the result of something the game does later.

But these fights aren't that much of a threat.

PC-88 Version

There's a couple of Riptors that patrol this area.

Now this teleporter...

Leads to the stairs! And that teleporter in front of me is just the exit.

: OH THANK GOD WE'RE OUT OF THERE!

: It seemed like we were constantly going in circles.

: Now I just hope there's not one on the next-

: Don't say it. Don't even think about saying it!

We're not completely done with this floor yet, but I'll check out the unexplored areas in a bit.

Ominous.

A shortcut for later.

And now I never have to go through that floor again. Except to check out that secret area. But first, selling to Sitoth Trading!

And now let's check out that secret area.

But its floor doesn't look as if it would support the weight of more than two or three... You should be able to pass with the size of your current party.

:signings:

Here's this floor's Take Point. Now this Take Point is special.

It has Pop Leaves as its common item. So this is the best place to farm for them to stock up on post game consumables. There is a Take Point on floor 30, but it doesn't give out as many Pop Leaves. Also, gathering on floor 30 is a bad bad idea. For one thing, you have a 15% chance to get ambushed there. And for another thing, the single biggest gently caress you in the game is involved. Yes, worse than this teleporter maze. That's all I'll say about that for the moment.

And with that, we're completely done with floor 29!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 30, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo you mapped all of it :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You make it seem so easy.

And yeah, with Gamefaqs, the postgame's not half bad, I like knowing what's in advance.

• Locked thread