Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last year, Gatiss delivered an okay episode (Cold War) and a really great one (Crimson Horror) and I also quite liked Night Terrors in season 6, so he seems to finally be realizing his obvious potential... knock on wood.

I'm more concerned by the director, who doesn't sound like he has the best pedigree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

Don't know how far you've gotten in your Davison run, but Nyssa's the only companion that could have worked in darker stories like Spare Parts and Creatures of Beauty, which tie very directly into her sole-survivor, PTSD guilt.

I've listened to Spare Parts and really enjoyed it, but while Nyssa is perfectly fine in it, once again I don't think her character really brings anything all that unique or relevant to the story being told. She doesn't detract from the story in any way, but she also really doesn't add anything to it, she's just kind of... there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I choose not to believe that because I don't want to believe that anybody that petty and small-minded and pathetic could possibly exist on this planet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Paul Darrow in Timelash :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I wonder if Blakes 7 got some spare sets for having Darrow on.

They were given an extra 5 pounds.

So yes, they got 27 new sets to work with.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

If you expected something something to something something

Why would I be expecting that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Matt Smith as the Doctor and wanted him to say in the role for years, but the moment Capaldi was even suggested as possibly taking the role I was absolutely onboard, and so far he has only added fuel to that fire with his performances onscreen and his happy embracing of the role and his own gigantic nerdiness offscreen :allears:

The amazing streak of luck in regards to casting the Doctor continues on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

I read somewhere that they're essentially contractually obligated to do at least one Dalek episode a series due to an agreement with the estate of the man who created them. Is this true?

I don't know if it has ever been confirmed or not, but it's been something I've heard claimed as fact going back to 2005. Given that every single year of the show has featured at least one appearance by the Daleks (even in the year of Specials there is a brief scene with a Dalek in Waters of Mars even though it has nothing at all to do with the story) I think it is highly likely though - I imagine it probably boils down to if they miss a year then their contract ends and the Nation Estate can negotiate/hold out for more money for a new contract when the show DOES want to do a new Dalek story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

Then again, Moffat's an Emmy winner and may now have opportunities that he didn't have when he made those comments.

Moffat gave up a three-film contract working with Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg to take over Doctor Who. I don't doubt he's thought about leaving and wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the next couple of years, but I don't think it's a matter of doing so because he's got more opportunities now than he did before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crazy Man posted:

10 minutes, y'all.

Who's gonna be watching it live here?

Wild horses couldn't drag me away.

Well actually they probably could. So could tame horses too probably.

I should stay away from horses :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally, evidence that Jakari is an old man.

1997 still seems so recent to me :corsair:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He's still mathing :tinfoil:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Her reaction was adorable.

Capaldi's :what: reaction even more so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A miniscope :neckbeard:

Edit: Maybe it's because I grew up loving Robin Hood as well, but I'm actually really enjoying this so far. Everybody seems to be having a wonderful time (apart from the Doctor, which makes it even better).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hahaha this is so stupid (in a very enjoyable way).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ha, was that Patrick Troughton?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was utterly ridiculous and stupid bollocks... and I loved every second of it.

Something about the atmosphere of the entire thing just worked for me, even though on paper it's just terrible. There was a sense of everybody just having a hell of a lot of fun with a silly story, and the Doctor just curmudgeonly stomping around refusing to accept what was happening was a great contrast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know what was edited from the original cut, but I thought the climax (from the peasant revolt against the robot knights to the duel between Robin and the Sheriff) felt a little haphazardly edited - I don't know if they cut stuff out or if what they filmed was a mess and that was the best they could salvage from it.

Edit: Based on this and The Crimson Horror, Gatiss might have finally found his strength in Who - silly stories where everybody just has a great time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HD DAD posted:

The Sherriff was decapitated in the duel, revealing he was actually a robot. He then pops his head back onto his body and continues the fight.

Ahh, that makes sense given the blink and you'll miss it "I'm a half-man/half-android!" stuff he shouted in the middle of their fight out of nowhere.

Edit: I loved the design of the robots too, they looked great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also holy poo poo that was Ben Miller? I didn't recognize him at all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

For whatever reason, it kinda sorta reminded me of Rik Mayall as Flashheart Hood from Blackadder Back and Forth, but I'm probably alone in that.

That moment when he and the Doctor are arguing in the dungeon and he starts laughing made me immediately think of Rik Mayall too :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah the golden arrow solution basically made no sense at all (well really none of the episode did, but that in particular), outside of the fact that it required the Doctor, Robin and Clara to stop fussing and feuding over who the cleverest was and actually work together as a team.

I loved the Doctor's grudging admission that he completely cheated the archery competition too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HD DAD posted:

There are a lot of goddamn robots this season, aren't there?

They want to reach the Promised Land because they're Ambassadors......

....OF DEATH!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait, people like The Crimson Horror? It's loving terrible.

I love it, the only issue I really have with it is that the first half sets itself up so well as atmospheric horror before the second half happily embraces going silly... but the second half is just so much fun and everybody seems to be having such a good time that it is infectious. I always end that episode with a big smile on my face, probably helped by Diana Rigg hamming it up so well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also we better see the Hives of the Ice Warriors at some point :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was very cool that they included this shot in the Robin Hood database

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If we never get any more of an "answer" to that question beyond the Doctor's musing about his subconscious trying to tell him something I'll be absolutely satisfied. It's a question that doesn't really need to be asked or answered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Will SOMEONE please link me a video or mp3 of this joke?!?

Here is your link....

OF DEATH!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crazy Man posted:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I don't know, I quite liked this description:

Tsaedje posted:

Ben Miller as Christopher Guest in the Princess Bride

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robot of Sherwood gifs - I made a lot because man I really enjoyed this episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be precise, it was a clone of Anthony Ainley.

Anthony Ainley was, however, himself a clone of Roger Delgado :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What Ainley had going for him was that he LOVED being the Master. He had it made financially already so pretty much his only interests were playing cricket or being the Master, and every so often he'd call up JNT just to say,"Hey got any stories with the Master coming up? I'm down!"

Also his personal home answering phone message was in character :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awww I didn't know that :smith:

Then again, he did Destiny of the Doctors so maybe he figured if it wasn't on television it just wasn't worth doing anymore.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't really get that sense other than in the peasants revolt scene, which felt very rushed - mostly because the episode hadn't seemed all that concerned with what was going on with them until it suddenly became an integral part of the story towards the end.

Other than that, I thought it flowed well - from meeting Robin and his Merry Men to attending the contest together to the squabbling in the dungeon, then having the simultaneous scenes of Clara conning the Sheriff while the Doctor and Robin discovered the control room before Robin and Clara escape. After that the revolt felt like it kind of came out of nowhere before things got back on track with Robin coming to the Doctor's rescue and fighting the Sheriff, and then the teamwork to delay the spaceship's destruction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I dunno why, but that felt like a lost David Tennant episode with Capaldi swapped in.

I think if it had been Tennant he would have spent the first few minutes going,"What? What? WHAT!?!" and,"But that's impossible!" and immediately changed to,"Well that's impossible... and that's BRILLIANT! :haw:"

Capaldi just refusing to accept anything he was seeing or even pretending to play along was great, especially when it got to him explaining what he thought was the Sheriff's plan to him and the Sheriff replying,"But that would be stupid...?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mo0 posted:

but at least that's one hole

It's not really a hole since the line that was left in explained what the Sheriff had allowed himself to be turned into (basically a reverse Half-Face Man). It's just that without the scene, the line seems hurried and does a poor job of letting such important information be conveyed to the audience.

Not a plothole so much as poor storytelling, due to editing out the pertinent prior scene.

Edit: I think this scene might be The Rings of Akhaten of this season for me. A less than exciting trailer that left me thinking I was going to get something unremarkable or even slightly embarrassing, and ending up just being completely carried away by the atmosphere of the story.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 7, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

12 pilots the Tardis nicely, lands smoothly, everything works. With 9, 10, and 11 piloting it was always wonky. Rough landings, being thrown around the console room at take off etc.. Surely you have noticed Capalidis finesse?

At the end of the first episode he lands in Glasgow instead of London, walks away to get Clara coffee and shows up three weeks later at her school.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The way these threads go nowadays I really do agree with the notion that a single massive ongoing season 8 thread would work better than weekly threads per episode. A lot of potential discussion gets cut off when the new thread goes up and the old one closes.

Wasn't the weekly threads thing a symptom of when the forums struggled with handling the size of megathreads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Spoiler Thread and a General Discussion thread (doubling as the weekly TV thread) are fine and all we'd really need. Occ's thread is its own thing and stands alone really, given that it is focusing on a newcomer to the show going through each episode and discussing only what the two guys watching have seen up to that point (though far too many people can't resist saying,"Now this isn't really a spoiler, but....").

I just think a thread a week per episode isn't really warranted anymore.

Edit: Having a weekly thread AND a general discussion thread would be silly and cause far more problems than it would solve.

• Locked thread