Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Have they actually confirmed that Coleman is planning to leave at the end of the season? I'd totally believe it except that I don't think we've seen a reliable source say so. It would be a shame for her to depart just as she starts getting some characterization but I am also always excited for new blood. :getin:

I think there's been a lot of mixed messages on the matter. The most recent word I've seen was a link (I didn't follow it to the article) remarking that Capaldi has denied that she's leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

Have they actually confirmed that Coleman is planning to leave at the end of the season? I'd totally believe it except that I don't think we've seen a reliable source say so. It would be a shame for her to depart just as she starts getting some characterization but I am also always excited for new blood. :getin:

Only the Mirror reported it. Everyone else reporting it is just echoing that story so it's likely not true.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

Look what came today:

Thanks The_Doctor!

In the interest of full disclosure, Diabolik900 is my brother and we live together. I loved that the envelope was actually addressed as being from "The Doctor", but also disappointed that I didn't get to learn The Name of the Doctor. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Diabolik900 posted:

Look what came today:

Thanks The_Doctor!

Once again, that US cover is the best of the bunch. I've gotta see the full set of these.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

While humour is not the main focus of Doctor Who, I personally feel that comedy is important when writing a show about a 2000-year-old space alien bumming around the universe in a flying police telephone box

Was this reviewer watching the Brazzers production?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Target novelisations eh? Back in a bit...

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Just imo but I kind of hope Coleman does leave as she offers little beyond looking good on the Radio Times cover.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Psybro posted:

Just imo but I kind of hope Coleman does leave as she offers little beyond looking good on the Radio Times cover.

On this we disagree - any actual character depth Clara displayed in Series 7 is attributable entirely to Coleman's remarkable ability to synthesize personality out of thin air.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

DoctorWhat posted:

On this we disagree - any actual character depth Clara displayed in Series 7 is attributable entirely to Coleman's remarkable ability to synthesize personality out of thin air.

I really feel that Coleman has gotten a bad wrap from the previous season. She just wasn't given a well written character and she did fantastically imo in at least putting in the best performance she could, given the material. I think they've turned around and started to really give her some more depth this season so far and Coleman has started to use that depth to her advantage as an actress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Irish Joe posted:

Then again, Moffat's an Emmy winner and may now have opportunities that he didn't have when he made those comments.

Moffat gave up a three-film contract working with Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg to take over Doctor Who. I don't doubt he's thought about leaving and wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the next couple of years, but I don't think it's a matter of doing so because he's got more opportunities now than he did before.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
10 minutes, y'all.

Who's gonna be watching it live here?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ah yes, Target books

But what's this!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Crazy Man posted:

10 minutes, y'all.

Who's gonna be watching it live here?

Wild horses couldn't drag me away.

Well actually they probably could. So could tame horses too probably.

I should stay away from horses :ohdear:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Nice one, Mark!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

Nice one, Mark!

Ta

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Wild horses couldn't drag me away.

Well actually they probably could. So could tame horses too probably.

I should stay away from horses :ohdear:

Wild horses are so loveable they could definitely drag me away :3:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat gave up a three-film contract working with Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg to take over Doctor Who. I don't doubt he's thought about leaving and wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the next couple of years, but I don't think it's a matter of doing so because he's got more opportunities now than he did before.

He's the Dan Slott of Doctor Who. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally, evidence that Jakari is an old man.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

1997 still seems so recent to me :corsair:

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

Going full screen now. See y'all on the other side. Have a good roboting, everyone!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

97AD :ssh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He's still mathing :tinfoil:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Those new credits are not growing on me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm liking the unusual camera work inside the TARDIS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Her reaction was adorable.

Capaldi's :what: reaction even more so.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Capaldi is the only good thing in this episode so far.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
A sample :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A miniscope :neckbeard:

Edit: Maybe it's because I grew up loving Robin Hood as well, but I'm actually really enjoying this so far. Everybody seems to be having a wonderful time (apart from the Doctor, which makes it even better).

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 6, 2014

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I do like how much the doctor hates the possible existance of this horrible histories theme park version of Robin Hood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hahaha this is so stupid (in a very enjoyable way).

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Wilhelm scream???

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I'm going down the pub but up to this point, the Doctor striding around hating every minute of this has made this enjoyable bollocks rather than PTSD flashback to The Shakespeare Code and all that entails.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ha, was that Patrick Troughton?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

Ha, was that Patrick Troughton?

I believe someone said the same thing in the spoiler thread.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

What a delightfully silly episode. I loved it. Really needed that.

Ha-hah!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was utterly ridiculous and stupid bollocks... and I loved every second of it.

Something about the atmosphere of the entire thing just worked for me, even though on paper it's just terrible. There was a sense of everybody just having a hell of a lot of fun with a silly story, and the Doctor just curmudgeonly stomping around refusing to accept what was happening was a great contrast.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Huh, using "Rose in Peril" in the trailer. Does the show normally use cues that old?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I really enjoyed that, a lot of fun with 12 snarking and making GBS threads on the whole setup for most of the episode. It really only got a bit wonky when they started going after the robots with the bolt ricochets.

Also what was the bit that was edited? One of the robots getting decapitated? I didn't really ever see any strange jump cuts so I don't think I would have even noticed it had it not been mentioned.

Also major props for the Troughton cameo.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

I was looking for something to complain about.

I couldn't.

9.5/10. By far, one of Mark Gattis' better episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know what was edited from the original cut, but I thought the climax (from the peasant revolt against the robot knights to the duel between Robin and the Sheriff) felt a little haphazardly edited - I don't know if they cut stuff out or if what they filmed was a mess and that was the best they could salvage from it.

Edit: Based on this and The Crimson Horror, Gatiss might have finally found his strength in Who - silly stories where everybody just has a great time.

• Locked thread