Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do. when I had the modem and the BBS if you wanted to download that sweet nudies you needed to select a protocol because you couldn't be sure that the host and you were going to use the same one! some hosts offered one that allowed you to view the image as it was downbloading but I never had it on my bbs software so I could never select it

nowadays protocols have gone the way of horses and slavery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
HTTPees all over ur thread, mate

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
interesting trivia: some websites allow for a separate protocol to be used, instead of HTTP - you can use HTTPS which is HTTP transmitted over a public-private key pair SSL connection. Gone are other web-like protocols for example Gopher, or the proprietary protocols/mixes of protocols used by old portal isps like Prodigy.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what are tocols and whats makes the pro versions special?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
however yes, the protocols you are talking about (xmodem, ymodem, zmodem, kermit, compuserve b, etc) are all dead in common use. i think some very niche things still use zmodem but not much.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i only know protocols from objectivist c

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

In the real world, people on official business are often required to follow strict procedures when dealing with certain situations. Law enforcement officials, for example, are required to “follow protocol” when making enquiries or collecting evidence.

- richest company on earth?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

I do. when I had the modem and the BBS if you wanted to download that sweet nudies you needed to select a protocol because you couldn't be sure that the host and you were going to use the same one! some hosts offered one that allowed you to view the image as it was downbloading but I never had it on my bbs software so I could never select it

nowadays protocols have gone the way of horses and slavery

huh. never heard of these other protocols. i think u b bs'n me

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

does ipx count cuz doom over ipx was fuckin garbo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what protocol do games use now? just rest??

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
my favorite protocol was netbus

open that cd drive over and over so lol

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what protocol do games use now? just rest??

For real games I would guess bespoke binary protocols suited to the game type. Maybe online poker would use rest

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i dont see any reason rest wouldnt be perfect well suited for an fps game

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
protocols of the elders of yospos

der cj

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

It's probably much easier and more performany to deal with stuff like dropped packets and realtime behavior in custom binary protocol rather than shoehorning json/rest/httpd in front of the game server engine https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Server_queries

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

http://quake.com/shoot/mans/13?weapon=shotgun

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I always wanted to try gopher because I read about it in a magazine in 1996

I got internet access in 1999 iirc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i wrote a gopher client once

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wtf is rest

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:sicknasty:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
how did the cyberterrorists hack our firewall? i installed the security protocols myself

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

before I had internet access I somehow discovered bbses and thought it was the coolest thing ever (which is true). one day I showed my friend and tried to explain to him that I was accessing some computer across town and look I can download files and play games and leave messages. my friend was like uhh, ok? and that's when I realized I was doomed to a life of poo poo and piss

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

DNova posted:

before I had internet access I somehow discovered bbses and thought it was the coolest thing ever (which is true). one day I showed my friend and tried to explain to him that I was accessing some computer across town and look I can download files and play games and leave messages. my friend was like uhh, ok? and that's when I realized I was doomed to a life of poo poo and piss

and when would u say the posting began

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i like spdy i use it on all my fav sites in chrome

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

is REST a protocol? thats another popular one if it is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DNova posted:

ahahah i was that friend only i was blown away and started a life long desire for online connectivity. how much have i spent in my life on having the internet? gently caress :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

have gone the way of horses and slavery

niche products for the rich

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

um excuse me op there's many protocols, my favorite one is arp what is yours

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
QUIC

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
HELO

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
my dad set up a server at work we could dial into using like kermit ppp before cable or dsl was avail. i remember that fukn beautiful brand new 28.8 it was beautiful

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember using one of the protocols that had chat built in (S-modem? really can't remember) and i chatted with the SysOp and then he banned me welp that's my protocol story.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

halo

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Egan Yardley posted:

does ipx count cuz doom over ipx was fuckin garbo

actually IPX owned and was the easiest way to have a LAN Party.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I guess the droid protocol that c3po uses it pretty cool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

actually IPX owned and was the easiest way to have a LAN Party.

xwing vs tie fighter owned bones for lan parties

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ipx lan and half-life death match

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XI3Ia8boio

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Actually op I use the irc protocol every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:bsdsnype:

• Locked thread