Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Home for the night and catching up on things now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

The Carpet Shark posted:

TwelveBaud's whole butter thing against PM was so weird that I really have no idea. I would vote vote Met before them.

it seemed kinda like a half-joke. i'm not quite sure what to make of it either. is it really wise to make pretty much your only post an accusation?

that said it would be hypocritical of me to get on his case for not posting enough. like PM said, it's day 1 of a newbie game.

Propaganda Machine posted:

awesome

anyway i did actually just read murmur's scum game. her lynch was hilarious and her playstyle is indeed different from what we're seeing here. but i got my eye on her.

well it's like you said, could be a conscious effort to play differently than scum last time to throw things off. seemed like a very strong point to me.

soscannonballs posted:

Ok so here is what I think about the game so far. Based on my past (albeit limited) mafia experience, a lot of the time on D1 you have 2-3 town players go after each other while the scum team kind of sits back. Now the scum don't lurk as in not posting, they are usually around but just don't post anything of substance, and if you look at the post count list they often fall around the middle. I feel like we have a pretty good chance of hitting scum if we disregard the top and bottom two posters and examine those who remaining. Here is the list as of right now:

The Carpet Shark
Mr. Maltose
Soscannonballs
Murmur Twin
Met

Now I know that I am town, so the other 4 are the people I am the most interested in right now. Of those four, I am not really getting scummy vibes from Murmur Twin. I am a little uneasy about The Carpet Shark, but Mr Maltose and Met are at the top of my scum list right now. Hopefully they will be around to post before the deadline. It would also be great if Twelvebaud and Adus could post more.

yeah but what if they know that and decide to hide in the background or put themselves forward in the hopes that we'd think that way? twelvebaud and met would therefore be a pretty prime candidates, though as stated before twelve hasn't been able to post much. like myself i really just cannot post at work. i have my phone but i can't just sit on my phone at my desk and it's hardly ideal to use to make longer posts and respond with quotes. that being said, despite my schedule i've still managed to put in a few posts which is more than he can say.

that logic would also suggest PM, but i just don't get a scum read from her. i'd think it's way too dangerous to put oneself out there so much so early if you're scum.

i'm just trying to get a feel for all this still. i've been hesitant to call out people as scum because it's just so hard to find anything substantial this early on.

at this point i'd probably just have to go with my gut and i'm still leaning toward MT (and twelve after that), but i'll read her next post before finalizing a vote in her direction

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Adus posted:

yeah but what if they know that and decide to hide in the background or put themselves forward in the hopes that we'd think that way?

Ahh but what if I know that they know what I know?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

soscannonballs posted:

I feel like we have a pretty good chance of hitting scum if we disregard the top and bottom two posters and examine those who remaining. Here is the list as of right now:

The Carpet Shark
Mr. Maltose
Soscannonballs
Murmur Twin
Met

If there are two scum in the whole group, and you take a sample of over half group, of course there's a good chance of hitting scum. This doesn't tell us anything at all.

Anyway, I'm gonna ##vote Met based on my reasoning from my earlier post.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
the only reason i even vaguely care about him coming after me is that it was the easiest thing to do after murmur's stuff. if she had gone after anybody else with similar logic, and he had hopped on that bandwagon, it would be the same thing.

TwelveBaud posted:

And her bread chat was about expanding the classification of bread and being light-hearted about butter (when only one other person has mentioned spreadable substances); even though it wasn't directly about town versus scum, it was using the metaphor this game is based around in a calculating attempt to try to dilute "towndom" and de-fang "scumdom".

it's a weird argument. i think we'd mostly moved beyond breadchat, but this just takes it to a whole new level. every time i try to parse it into anything useful i :psyduck:

it's horribly contrived and constructed to look like some kind of themed actual argument?

quote:

The capitalization case is dumb, btw.

he's correct there, at least.

anyway i go for him over met because bad logic is worse than no logic for d1. also, this was his one and only non-full-breadpost, and that's horrible. you may disagree. i'm listening.

met's few posts reek of active lurking though. hrm.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

and you didn't care about how such a flimsy case might come back to get you later on?

I really didn't!

If my flimsy case led people to lynch me, at the end of the day it would have provided information to the remaining town to help lynch scum down the road. If we're going to have a good lynch before the first deadline, we were going to need to get off of breadchat at some point, and I'm fine with making a flimsy case if it helps get discussion going.

(I went through an issue in my first few Mafia games where, as town, I was more concerned about surviving until the end than I was sussing out information. I assume you and Adus can probably understand how that goes!)

quote:

this just doesn't read well and seems hypocritical. you don't have to make a lovely case to get people to post more. calling them out by name seemed to work pretty well.

Why would saying "Props, who do you think is scum?" before there had been any game chat at all been better than making you defend yourself from a case?

quote:

that said, twelvebaud hasn't done anything but say he's super busy (hi yuming) and hop on the pm-is-scummy gravytrain.

I agree with this.

quote:

man, what a masterstroke it would be to outline your previous scum game and do something completely different the next time you're scum.

I suppose it would be! I was more trying to describe things that I felt like Carpet Shark was doing, and then relating them to my one scum game (a) because people had been talking about my games and (b) to explain why I thought those particular things were scummy.

quote:

may i ask, specifically, what makes this different than plays a and c out of your own scumbook?

I asked Met specifically because he said there is no information on D1 to make a case out of, whereas I think that there is. My flimsy case for him was "he hasn't provided any information" but that didn't really need to be said.

Ugh I'm multitasking a bit for the next hour but will be here the whole time from 10:30p - deadline.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
so murmurs.

it's looking like twelvebaud or met.

which one are you most prepared to vote for, and why?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

so murmurs.

it's looking like twelvebaud or met.

which one are you most prepared to vote for, and why?

I was just going to say right now I'm fine with one of twelvebaud or Met. For me I'd rather keep people who have put themselves forward either in defending themselves or making cases, and lynch people who (a) act scummy while (b) not providing any information to the town. There's a good chance that some of the people posting a lot right now are scum, but at least those people will have stuff to dissect after the fact after we see a few flips.

Off the top of my head, I feel like Met sounds apathetic whereas TwelveBaud's case on PM sounds disingenuous, so probably Twelvebaud. I'm rereading them now along with a few others and should be around until deadline for more discussion.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'll give MT the benefit of the doubt

i'd lean toward twelve because he called PM out on the lurker thing which she wasn't even doing, and then said something cryptic. met just hasn't said much at all. it could be trying to lay low as to not be discovered or he could just have no idea what evidence to cling to. we're rapidly approaching deadline though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
yeah i'm more inclined to give met the benefit of the doubt, for now. is this his first game? it can be kinda hard to get into the swing of mafia. i was so lost in salute your shorts.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

If you click on the votefinder at the top of the OP you can see how many games everyone have been in. According to VF, this is Met's 9th game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

soscannonballs posted:

If you click on the votefinder at the top of the OP you can see how many games everyone have been in. According to VF, this is Met's 9th game.

....hmm....

but we really need to come to a consensus, here. no-lynches are bad.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
what happens if there is no majority vote?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adus posted:

what happens if there is no majority vote?

nobody dies.

it's inadvisable because the scum almost certainly will kill a townie overnight, but we might lynch scum. getting a flip one way or the other illuminates things at any rate, and neither of these chuckleheads are contributing much.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
here i did a google and it explains things a bit better.

Some Other Internet Forum posted:

If the game starts with an odd number of players, no lynching takes away one of the town's mislynches prior to the scum getting the endgame win.

In a 9 player game with 2 scum, you lose upon mislynching for a third time. If you no lynch, you can only mislynch once. (And will lose upon the second mislynch.)

Getting more town controlled kills on the scum is going to give you a much better chance of winning than getting less. (You can probably even point to a higher scum win % on the relevant site.)

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

I'm fine with switching to Twelvebaud, if that's our pick.

##unvote Met

##vote TwelveBaud

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
that sounds pretty bad then!

i'm going with this for now, but i'll leave myself open to other ideas if things crop up before the deadline

##vote TwelveBaud

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

That puts TwelveBaud at -1 with over an hour left. Hopefully some other people chime in before the deadline but if not I can move my vote to avoid a NL, although I still think Met is scummier.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'll stand by it. ##vote TwelveBaud

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: This game will be better without TwelveBaud!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Phone posting here.

Twelvebaud, BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED has been eaten for lunch. It is now NIGHT. Send your actions in before I get home.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In the night, somebody ate Mr. Maltose, BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED

It is now Day 2

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Not Voting (7): Adus, Met, Murmur Twin, Propaganda Machine, soscannonballs, Strong Mouse, The Carpet Shark

With 7 alive, it's 4 votes to lunch. There is currently no deadline set.

There is no discussion topic today.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

That was a very dumb hammer vote.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

soscannonballs posted:

That was a very dumb hammer vote.

My thoughts exactly.

I was under the impression we were waiting to hear from our voting candidates before slamming things down.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
but neither of them showed up.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

but neither of them showed up.

I thought we had over an hour left. At the risk of being accused of asking too many questions, is it normally considered bad to wait until the final hour when voting in mafia?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i didn't know it lynched the moment it hit enough votes, heh. i might have given him a bit more time.

well then.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Yeah as soon as someone gets enough votes they get killed and the day ends, no more discussion until all the night actions have been submitted. Usually the lynch doesn't happen until 5-10 minutes before the deadline.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
yeah. hammers are...hammers.

this is a newbie game so i guess it fits to go back through whatever experiences people have had. but in my own, people hopping onto a lynch, or causing it when they know it's happening, seems suspicious.

as well, hammering with "ample" time left to go before deadline does prevent conversation, so that's also something to consider.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm in the newbie game for a reason!

On some level, it was a brain fart. I had already put it out there that I thought Twelvebaud was most lynchable. I left the computer for a bit and when I came back at least half the remaining players agreed enough to vote him, so in my head the hammer made sense. And then I forgot that discussion/play stops once the hammer drops and realized I should have let people know I was going to do it first.

(I believe I messed that up in LYLO in Poque's Cats mafia and ended up losing for town - that was my last game before I went on break)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm in the newbie game for a reason!

On some level, it was a brain fart. I had already put it out there that I thought Twelvebaud was most lynchable. I left the computer for a bit and when I came back at least half the remaining players agreed enough to vote him, so in my head the hammer made sense. And then I forgot that discussion/play stops once the hammer drops and realized I should have let people know I was going to do it first.

(I believe I messed that up in LYLO in Poque's Cats mafia and ended up losing for town - that was my last game before I went on break)

:cripes:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
anyway i guess this is some pressure on mets.

please for the love of christ have something substantial to say about the thing that just happened.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yep. Woke up, went to work. Back from work now. Hello! Some votes on me yesterday.

If you're going to case me, do it right. Simply go check my previous games. I do pretty much nothing on the first night except self-vote or spectate no matter my role because it always ends up being something boring boring breadchat and then a townie is lynched. I waste all my thread-viewing time on the first day phase looking for breadcrumbs (no pun intended).

soscannonballs posted:

Breadchat isn't the only thing people have been talking about. A bunch of newbies have managed to at least make a few cases, what do you think of those cases?

Okay.

Murmur Twin posted:

It seemed weird to me that Props isn't capatalizing and punctuating when, from watching Awful Survivor/seeing TVIV posts, she usually does. I did a quick post history check which confirmed this, even in other Mafia games/chatty places like Survivor Vistas/Mafia Discussion, she capatalizes and punctuates. To me this implies that she's overthinking what she's posting instead of being natural, which feels scummy to me.

It also feels like she's going out of her to reply to everyone to create content - either that or she has a lot of opinions about bread.

This person isn't using punctuation. SCUM. :newlol: This case was dismissed in the next post anyway.

for now, i think this is an okay move. i am willing to change it if better ideas come up. also, this person has not been back in here to defend themselves since they came under some legitimate flak. anyway, deadline is coming right up, so i think putting on a hint of pressure is a good idea regardless.

##vote murmur twin

When did Murmur Twin come under "legitimate flak"? When he accused you on Day 1?

Adus posted:

my suspicion leans more toward murmur for really getting the ball rolling with not much to go on

That's what Day 1 is all about. There isn't much to go on simply because it's day 1. I usually play Role Madness games where no-lynch Day 1 is the standard though.

You guys are an echo chamber with the "let's hear more from Met". Makes it really easy to turbo someone you know won't be there. That's potentially scummy as it's a safe way to put a target on someone without looking bad yourself.

Now we have a votecount and some revealed roles. Actions are more interesting than words on Day 1.

Propaganda Machine votes Murmur Twin
Strong Mouse votes Twelvebud
soscannonballs votes Met
Propaganda Machine changes vote to twelvebud
The Carpet Shark votes Met
The Carpet Shark changes vote to Twelvebud
Adus votes to Twelvebud
Murmur Twin hammers Twelvebud

Final votecount:
(5) Twelvebud: Strong Mouse, Propaganda Machine, The Carpet Shark, Adus, Murmur Twin
(1) Met: soscannonballs
(3) Non-Voters: Twelvebud, Mr. Maltose, Met

Strong Mouse got the ball started on the townie and then never spoke again. Murmur Twin hammered. I don't put much stock in either of those though (though it's weird Strong Mouse never spoke again after that vote). Mafia tend to hide in the late middle of townie votes with really lackluster excuses for the vote other than "Everyone else is doing it"

The Carpet Shark posted:

I'm fine with switching to Twelvebaud, if that's our pick.

##unvote Met

##vote TwelveBaud

Like this. Pretty loving trusty. "Oh, Twelvebud is our pick? I'll switch off this guy and vote Twelvebud out then. NO PROBLEM."

The Carpet Shark is my pick for today.

##vote: The Carpet Shark

Throwing my vote out now because I plan to go to bed early because I have drinking plans tonight. Try not to turbo me.

Murmur Twin posted:

Did you try to make it last night?

I missed this post. Nope. I'm not really in the baking mood... but I am a mesh screen away from making my own Horchata.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Met posted:

That's what Day 1 is all about. There isn't much to go on simply because it's day 1. I usually play Role Madness games where no-lynch Day 1 is the standard though.

You guys are an echo chamber with the "let's hear more from Met". Makes it really easy to turbo someone you know won't be there. That's potentially scummy as it's a safe way to put a target on someone without looking bad yourself.

i realize this, and i hate to be a broken record but being my first game i'm not quite as adept at sussing out the subtleties of day 1 information gathering. so i knew it was a flimsy reason but i wasn't quite sure what to latch onto. and i didn't end up voting for her anyway.

though in retrospect the case against twelve was pretty flimsy too, and the fact that he never showed up to defend himself actually should have been more telling about his town status than anything else. i have to imagine that if you're scum and your role is so limited and vulnerable you would not just refuse to show up to defend yourself.

and if he literally could not do so because of his schedule it was very unfortunate for him, and i'm sure the scum took advantage of that to lure newer people like me into voting for him.

gotta go to work or else i'd pick apart posts a bit more.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

You make a good point about Carpet Shark Met.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

The Carpet Shark posted:

I don't know if I'd vote Murmur Twin out this round. I know it would benefit me to say they've been acting super scummy but there isn't enough there for me to feel it's conclusive. There were a couple things that seemed off, but they've been making their own cases and they haven't been fixated on any one person as far as I can tell.

Red flags here. Can you explain what you mean by 'it would benefit me'?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Murmur Twin posted:

Red flags here. Can you explain what you mean by 'it would benefit me'?

You were making a case against me, PM was making one arguing that you might be scum and that you were trying to incriminate the two of us. If I had said 'YEAH, Murmur Twin sure is acting scummy!' then your case against me would seem less sound. But I didn't feel you were acting as scummy as PM seemed to think you were.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

Met posted:

Like this. Pretty loving trusty. "Oh, Twelvebud is our pick? I'll switch off this guy and vote Twelvebud out then. NO PROBLEM."

The Carpet Shark is my pick for today.

Yeah, after I voted and then TwelveBaud was hammered quick as hell I definitely regretted switching so quickly. It was an unwise move on my part, and it I later realized it opened the floor to scum players switching or voting and feeling safer about it. I'm still learning, though, and I should've trusted my gut more when I was voting. If I were scum I never would have made that move for fear of people accusing me. But frankly, that has not been something I have had to worry about other than the passing thought of 'oh man, I hope they don't accidentally vote ME out'.

Also, TwelveBaud was my second pick anyway. I definitely felt there was less to go on with them than there was with you, Met, but I was way less sure about every other player in the game and we were establishing that it was important to not end up in a situation where nobody was voted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

The Carpet Shark posted:

You were making a case against me, PM was making one arguing that you might be scum and that you were trying to incriminate the two of us. If I had said 'YEAH, Murmur Twin sure is acting scummy!' then your case against me would seem less sound. But I didn't feel you were acting as scummy as PM seemed to think you were.

GOALS:
Town: lynch scum
Scum: stay alive

If you're town and you think I'm town - I don't see how trying to shift the lynch from one town to another helps uncover scum?
If you're town and you think I'm scum - Then you would have had a case against me and I'd assume we'dve heard it.
If you're scum and you know I'm town - THEN it would benefit you to try and discredit me.

I know that it's kind of a nitpick, but with that, plus my observations on you D1 (mainly that you make a lot of posts without really taking a stance on who you think is scum), plus the fact that I agree with what Met is saying, right now I feel like you're the best lynch.

MMM: may I have confirmation that the deadline isn't tonight? I don't think I'm going to be online, so if it is I feel like I should have a vote here. But if it isn't, I don't want a repeat of last night where the fact that I voted makes a negative difference.

• Locked thread