Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Do you mean the muted nodding, possibly either in agreement or psyching himself up for murder?

Correct person, wait for the shot after that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Do you mean the muted nodding, possibly either in agreement or psyching himself up for murder?

The other four pull their guns out cleanly. But nodding man struggles as if it's stuck in his holster. Doesn't get it out at all before the cut to Chalky's face. Back to the firing squad and he's got it out and aimed like the others.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

mewse posted:

Correct person, wait for the shot after that one

"Okay, for this scene I stand perfectly still, and then pull out my gun.

Stand perfectly still, and pull out my gun.

Stand perfectly still..."

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Cerv posted:

The other four pull their guns out cleanly. But nodding man struggles as if it's stuck in his holster. Doesn't get it out at all before the cut to Chalky's face. Back to the firing squad and he's got it out and aimed like the others.
Whoops! Look at that, bahahaha.

Wicked Weasel
Dec 25, 2004
Skimpy.
The best bit of this series was Lucy eating icecream in season 1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wicked Weasel posted:

The best bit of this series was Lucy eating icecream in season 1.

Anything involving Lucy makes me want to throw up. She was so terrible and it makes me not want to watch Boardwalk Empire again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved Margaret telling her the story about the funny man who would come visit her village every year, which ends with the moral,"Maybe your cunny isn't quite the drawcard you think it is."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jerusalem posted:

I loved Margaret telling her the story about the funny man who would come visit her village every year, which ends with the moral,"Maybe your cunny isn't quite the drawcard you think it is."

Ahhh, back when Boardwalk Empire was a show about people telling other people parables.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

Anything involving Lucy makes me want to throw up. She was so terrible and it makes me not want to watch Boardwalk Empire again.
But she was hotter than the sun? :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

But she was hotter than the sun? :confused:

She was ok and her personality was super annoying which ruins everything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Was Lucy the one played by Paz de la Huerta? I'd forgotten about her completely.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The Lucy character was terrible and Paz de la Huerta is also terrible. I also completely forgot about her until someone just brought her up.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wirth1000 posted:

The Lucy character was terrible and Paz de la Huerta is also terrible. I also completely forgot about her until someone just brought her up.

From everything I heard, Paz basically played herself. Like they just turned on the cameras and she Paz'd all over the place.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I'm doing a re-watch and Rothstein is probably the best character. Really was a disservice to relegate his fate to a throwaway line.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Astroman posted:

From everything I heard, Paz basically played herself. Like they just turned on the cameras and she Paz'd all over the place.

Thank loving god we never got a shot of her throwing her messy rear end tampon in someone's face and trying to shave her cooch center-frame.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Paradox Personified posted:

Thank loving god we never got a shot of her... trying to shave her cooch center-frame.

Ugh, yeah.

That would be terrible.

Just. Ugh. So terrible.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Finding out that Lucy and Van Alden were loving was probably the first really big Van Alden laugh of the series so the character was worth it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Its been some time from the finale and I find myself not really missing the show but mostly the depiction of Capone and Co.

Dang, I think this Capone trumps de Niro's Capone in The Untouchables as my personal favourite.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I was just watching the scene where Nucky sends Mickey to pick up Eli from prison in the second episode of season three. Eli puts his hand on Mickey's knee ("I can't drive if we hold hands") and asks him "How the gently caress are you still alive?"

Even though the real-life Mickey Duffy died in '31, they still could have had him live through the last episode so that one of the best storylines of the entire series is Mickey somehow escapes death time and time again even as he constantly switches sides, annoys everyone, etc.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Cojawfee posted:

What the gently caress? That's like some horror movie poo poo.

Yeah, agreed; did you guys watch the same thing?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Beamed posted:

Yeah, agreed; did you guys watch the same thing?

Why are people being so vague about this? What happened that makes it like a horror movie? I rewatched it looking to see if the character was Dunn Pursley for a shot or whatever.

The Doctor's man nods because he agrees with Chalky. He feigns a struggle to pull out his gun to acknowledge to Chalky his reluctance, but also to say that it's "just business", "nothing personal", "all in the game", etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
During the conversation, look at the guy in the background. There's a bunch of black lines moving around behind him.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
The guy they got to play young Nucky was an absolutely amazing casting decision.

Also, not reading the thread since I'm not done, but I'm only a few episodes left and they're just doing everything to kill off all the remaining characters. It's not bad storytelling, but are you seriously gonna tell me we had all these seasons of character development for Van Alden just to unceremoniously shoot him in the face?

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cojawfee posted:

During the conversation, look at the guy in the background. There's a bunch of black lines moving around behind him.

They have to be the shadows of lighting cables.

Unless there's a deleted scene where Chalky Peter Pans away...

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

They're vines or something on the building. You can see them when Chalky walks out, and also every time you see the wall behind Chalky. You people are nuts.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

oswald ownenstein posted:

The guy they got to play young Nucky was an absolutely amazing casting decision.

Also, not reading the thread since I'm not done, but I'm only a few episodes left and they're just doing everything to kill off all the remaining characters. It's not bad storytelling, but are you seriously gonna tell me we had all these seasons of character development for Van Alden just to unceremoniously shoot him in the face?

His ending was great. After years of his guilt, his betrayals, his lies, his compromises, he finally becomes Nelson Van Alden, Treasury Agent one more time and helps take down the most famous gangster of the era. And dies choking him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Erwin posted:

They're vines or something on the building. You can see them when Chalky walks out, and also every time you see the wall behind Chalky. You people are nuts.

Why are they moving so weirdly?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I re-watched through season 4 and it makes Van Alden's last season pretty disappointing. By the end of 4, he was moving up in Capone's organization, to the point where Capone was treating him as a confidant after he saved his life. Come season 5, he's regressed to where he started season 4, just with Capone instead of O'Banion. Not that I expected him to become a crime lord, but they could have put him in a more interesting place after 7 years.

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah I was dissapointed he hadn't really moved up the ladder or even embraced going full gangster like we saw near the end of season 4. I really would have liked to have seen him have part in the st Valentines day massacre instead he's baby sitting eli which is a great consolation I suppose.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Astroman posted:

His ending was great. After years of his guilt, his betrayals, his lies, his compromises, he finally becomes Nelson Van Alden, Treasury Agent one more time and helps take down the most famous gangster of the era. And dies choking him.

Yeah, I dunno, all I saw was the final season killing off character left and right after spending multiple seasons building them up to nothing.

It felt like a total rush job and killing people just for the sake of killing people. Pretty lovely writing and a very disappointing end to the series.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Van Alden and Eli's stagnation among Capone's ranks makes sense when you remember that in the years between seasons Capone had become a coked-up, syphilitic megalomaniac who opted to fill his inner circle with other Italian-Americans, all of whom were inveterate sycophants. He needed cronies to get to the top, but once he was there he fully believed his own mythology - Capone became the boss on his own, no one helped him, and he'd put a bullet in you if he heard so much as a whisper otherwise.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I so wish they did even 1 season of Time Jumps to fill in the major gaps from where we left off in season 4. Just 1 :(

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
I just wanna see an episode covering the crime conference in Atlantic City, that's it. Everyone's together and fumbling all over each other.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Commissar Of Doom posted:

I just wanna see an episode covering the crime conference in Atlantic City, that's it. Everyone's together and fumbling all over each other.

Yeah, seriously. Even one episode as the season premier where they hit every major plot point that would have bridged the seasons together would have been enough.

Missed opportunities!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They really could have done two time-skips. Season five in '28, season six in '31. Both being eight episodes would still work. Off the top of my head, 1928 had the Atlantic City Conference, the murder of Arnold Rothstein and the murder of Frankie Yale.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow posted:

Yeah, seriously. Even one episode as the season premier where they hit every major plot point that would have bridged the seasons together would have been enough.

Missed opportunities!!

:ssh: That'll be the focus of the Boardwalk Empire movie!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

timp posted:

:ssh: That'll be the focus of the Boardwalk Empire movie!

DONT YOU LIE TO ME

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow posted:

DONT YOU LIE TO ME

I'm sorry, that's not a real thing. Just a thing that I wish would happen :smith:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

JethroMcB posted:

Van Alden and Eli's stagnation among Capone's ranks makes sense when you remember that in the years between seasons Capone had become a coked-up, syphilitic megalomaniac who opted to fill his inner circle with other Italian-Americans, all of whom were inveterate sycophants. He needed cronies to get to the top, but once he was there he fully believed his own mythology - Capone became the boss on his own, no one helped him, and he'd put a bullet in you if he heard so much as a whisper otherwise.

How can I remember it if they never showed it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
They did show it. That was the show.

• Locked thread