Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

RWBY: Produced by Rooster Teeth (Red vs Blue) and created by Monty Oum (Dead Fantasy). I came for the fight choreography and stayed because well... it can be fun if you manage to get passed the obvious issues.

What's Dead Fantasy you ask? A continuous animated death match of the Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive universes on an increasingly ludicrous scale. It takes about 40 minutes to watch the whole series (1-7), or you could just skip straight to these two:
Tifa vs Hitomi
Tifa vs Ninja Army

Now to be honest, the fight choreography in RWBY often falls short of Dead Fantasy, but here are clips of what they can pull off:

Red Trailer - Ruby Rose in the riding hood... with an absurdly over-stylized rifle-scythe thing

Yellow Trailer - Yang enforcing DeadMou5's trademark... and does a lame kiss gag thing

You might notice from those that the music is pretty awesome. Much of the show screams "amateur" and "unpolished," but there is a portion of this production that's legitimately well done, and it seems to be getting better with season 2... for the most part. Getting back to the music, here are the two OPs:
Season 1 - I bet you can't guess what's up with that girl's bow...
Season 2 - Where it rains rose pedals and cosplay

So that's the gist of how it can look and sound. Now here are some cases against RWBY:
-The 3D animation style is clunky and distracting (The lead animator makes everyone use Poser and is apparently strongly opposed to change. I have no animation experience, but I hear that Poser is not well suited for this kind of thing and the animation quality suffers from that.
-Some of the characters suck copious amounts of derivative rear end (Jaune at least seems to be getting better in season 2)
-Some of the character designs look like rear end.
-Some (most) of the jokes fall flat and the dialog can be more cringe inducing than Michael Scott. That isn't to say if you like Michael Scott variety cringe you'll like this. Nobody likes this kind. But there are fairly well scripted scenes here and there.
-Early character interactions are extremely forced, fake and kind of awful, but they do become more real as they find their footing.
-This is the amateur's tribute to derivative anime. Just about everything embarrassing about anime is here and it's all up to 11. So don't look for subtlety here.
(This is an incomplete list. See the following pages for much of the rest.)

My case for RWBY:
-The voice talent does a decent job and can play well of each other.
-Though I came for the fight choreography, the characters and humor have me looking forward more to the episodes without rifle-javelin and shotgun-fist-to-the-face fight scenes.
-Nora and her pink friendship hammer.
-It doesn't take a significant time commitment to plow through it. Just a strong stomach, and an iron resolve to enjoy yourself in the process.
-Plenty of jokes hit (Nora vs the Ursa, Blake vs the laser pointer) and the character dynamics grow more natural.

In the first draft of this OP I gave RWBY a good deal more praise than it had earned, so I've edit this to something more resembling sanity. That said, for most people, it is still far too much praise to even recommend it in the slightest. It seems to take a special kind of person to enjoy RWBY, quotation marks probably belonging around the operative word there. But I'll include myself among them. It's an intensely bad show, but there are things to enjoy if you want to find them.

So I'll wrap this up with Nora's flying rocket sledgehammer salute:

RWBY is being simulcast by Crunchyroll.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
There's a typo in the OP, you think some of this poo poo is good.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I don't think I got more than 4 episodes into this thing. The amount of cringe was actually causing me physical pain. It's such a transparent amalgamation of every superficially "cool" anime and videogame cliche that if you told me RWBY was honest parody, I'd probably believe you.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ferretts posted:

Tifa vs Hitomi
Tifa vs Ninja Army

Now to be honest, the fight choreography in RWBY often falls short of Dead Fantasy, but

So getting bored within 30 seconds of these w.r.t. fight choreography and general quality means I'm completely baffled why anyone could remotely like this series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

I don't think I got more than 4 episodes into this thing. The amount of cringe was actually causing me physical pain. It's such a transparent amalgamation of every superficially "cool" anime and videogame cliche that if you told me RWBY was honest parody, I'd probably believe you.

Yeah the humor is painful on its own, nevermind that it's delivered in the most cringeworthy way possible.

Also the characters are all terrible and unfunny. The formula for a RWBY character is as follows: Basic personality trait + Random quirkiness.

And to top it all off there's not a single original thought behind this, it's like what if someone's only exposure to fiction were YA novels and subpar Shonen fighting anime. When the characters aren't telling painfully unfunny jokes, they're spouting off lines that are just cliche as heck and it makes them even more one dimensional. In the Summer season thread Zorak mentioned that apparently the people writing this genuinely love it, which came as a shock to me because before that revelation I assumed that the incredibly writing was meant to be like that to be a cynical cashgrab. It's very...fandom-y writing, is what I'd call it? I feel like the audience is meant to be the sort that goes out and reads or writes fanfiction about RWBY.

And this is to say nothing of the terrible animation that is directed like a video game cutscene instead of something that's meant to be watched. Good choreography could make up for their janky as hell animation, but this does not have good choreography in the slightest.

Just...dang, I can't even think of a single positive comment to say about RWBY. It's insanely bad.

Instead of writing more words I will just post a gif that the animators think looks acceptable:

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 8, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Not a RWBY-liker but it's strange to me that people keep posting this and nobody's considered that it might be a visual gag. RWBY's animators aren't necessarily the most worthy of the benefit of the doubt but they look so much like cuckoo clock or music box automata that I'm leaning towards intention rather than accident on this one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Not a RWBY-liker but it's strange to me that people keep posting this and nobody's considered that it might be a visual gag. RWBY's animators aren't necessarily the most worthy of the benefit of the doubt but they look so much like cuckoo clock or music box automata that I'm leaning towards intention rather than accident on this one.

There have been enough moments where people glide along on the ground (or walk like they're on ice) that unless I hear something from one of the animators that says otherwise, I'm going to assume that they didn't intend for it to be a joke.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Fun info, it is Animated in Poser. Which is not what I would call an ideal animation program choice.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Where the anime at?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I maintain that this is probably better than inferno cop.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Srice posted:

And to top it all off there's not a single original thought behind this, it's like what if someone's only exposure to fiction were YA novels and subpar Shonen fighting anime.

I have always thought that this was deliberate, given that this is basically YouTube the Anime. I figured its target audience was 11 year old YouTube addicts. Which is why it feels like they lifted the script from a Disney high school drama.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Ferretts posted:

What's Dead Fantasy you ask? A continuous animated death match of the Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive universes on an increasingly ludicrous scale. It takes about 40 minutes to watch the whole series (1-7), or you could just skip straight to these two:
Tifa vs Hitomi
Tifa vs Ninja Army

Now to be honest, the fight choreography in RWBY often falls short of Dead Fantasy
That doesn't bode well, because I stopped paying attention in less than a minute and spent the rest of the video trying to remember exactly when those animated gifs of stick-figures fighting were popular and how these fit into that timeline.

I'm so underwhelmed that I'm actually shocked. I'm over-underwhelmed. (edit: grammar)

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 8, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

HMS Boromir posted:

It's extremely obvious that's just a visual gag.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hagop posted:

I have always thought that this was deliberate, given that this is basically YouTube the Anime. I figured its target audience was 11 year old YouTube addicts. Which is why it feels like they lifted the script from a Disney high school drama.

That's what I thought too, until I learned it wasn't and that it's all genuine!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Namtab posted:

I don't think anyone can be as wrong as this person, right here.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Srice posted:

That's what I thought too, until I learned it wasn't and that it's all genuine!

I can not believe this, I really really can't.

I have recently both watched some of RWBY and been trapped in a waiting room with someones 2.5 kids watching what I determined to be Saved by the Bell, Incredibles edition. The dialog, interaction, and drama points where so similar, their is no way that whoever is involved with RWBYs script doesn't know they are making That's so Raven the anime.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Hagop posted:

I can not believe this, I really really can't.

I have recently both watched some of RWBY and been trapped in a waiting room with someones 2.5 kids watching what I determined to be Saved by the Bell, Incredibles edition. The dialog, interaction, and drama points where so similar, their is no way that whoever is involved with RWBYs script doesn't know they are making That's so Raven the anime.

Well, the guy who writes Nickelodeon's tween dramas, Dan Schneider, may be completely genuine too:

never underestimate people's ability to be completely terrible

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

RWBY is the worst in every metric you could qualify it with. I don't understand the appeal at all.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I don't understand the appeal at all.

It's pretty much some ultra-chuuni 7th-grader's Soul Eater x Final Fantasy fanfiction magically brought to life through the power of internet memes.

It's unbelievably terrible, but it's actually not that hard to understand the appeal of "This is just like my awful teenage Anime/Comic Book/Videogame hybrid monstrosity, except for real! Awesome!"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I want to like RWBY because I really like Rooster Teeth but man, it's tough.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I've been waiting for this thread all summer. :getin:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Some of my friends are completely into RWBY and it's fascinating to see them love the show and characters so much. I guess it's no different from some schlock things we're willing to love despite its flaws.

But from an animation and art point of view (and from the sound of it, the plot doesn't give me any hope), it just seems so trite.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HMS Boromir posted:

Namtab posted:

Gags where animators bring attention to the limits of what they can do are as old as animation itself. Inferno Cop is basically an entire series about this. The difference is that RWBY is that the production team really doesn't have that much talent and is reaching beyond their limits, while Inferno Cop is by people who can do much better but chose not to for effect. Which one is more admirable is up to you.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Namtab posted:

Sorry bro but I'ma have to beat you up irl.

Also, rwby isn't anime, it shouldn't be in the anime forum.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Yeah, I think it'd go well in GBS, the appropriate home for completely terrible things.

I saw a clip of some girl with a rather preposterous shotgun/scythe fighting some kind of werewolf things, and I can safely say that my main turn-off with this is the fact that they all look like MMD models (are they?), and music videos made with them have always been deeply into the uncanny valley for me.

Except this, I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJsYbVBnaE

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I realized my problem with monty when he first showed up doing red vs blue fight scenes. at first you're impressed by the spectacle of it, but none of the fights seem to have any "weight" to them. people go flying around like rag dolls. none of the punches seem to do anything and the characters never seem to get tired. the fights are too choreographed and it takes me out of the scene.

I only watched the trailers granted, but RWBY seems like more of the same.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, I think it'd go well in GBS, the appropriate home for completely terrible things.

I saw a clip of some girl with a rather preposterous shotgun/scythe fighting some kind of werewolf things, and I can safely say that my main turn-off with this is the fact that they all look like MMD models (are they?), and music videos made with them have always been deeply into the uncanny valley for me.

Except this, I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJsYbVBnaE

Well, the first trailer was made before Monty had any real models made outside of Ruby, herself, which is why all the wolf-things look like poo poo. It was made over a year before the first episode was released, I believe.

As for the fight scenes, there is only 2 or 3 good ones in the entire first season (and one of them is a the last trailer). Monaghan is right though. Monty's style is '70s Kung fu movies where physics doesn't matter and everything is choreographed. Plus, all the characters' weapons are just gun/X hybrids because if Final Fantasy has shown us anything, it is that any weapon is made cooler if you can fire bullets from it. :jerkbag:

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

I wouldn't worry too much. I can't imagine this thread lasting long past the initial shock responses of how it managed to appear in the first place (since I'm apparently the only one who watches this).

I can't defend it against any criticism, because the show's begging for it all. But I am going to shield my mind. Because yes it's terrible... in every way described, but I like it and I like liking stuff.

But with all else being shameful, at least I can be proud of the thread title. :colbert:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ferretts posted:

But with all else being shameful, at least I can be proud of the thread title. :colbert:

As the person who named the Valvrave thread Neon Genesis Code Gundam WEED: Legend of the Galactic Space Twitter I can say yes, yes you can be proud of your terrible thread.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

The Devil Tesla posted:

As the person who named the Valvrave thread Neon Genesis Code Gundam WEED: Legend of the Galactic Space Twitter I can say yes, yes you can be proud of your terrible thread.

That is an insanely accurate title for Valvrave

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

theCalamity posted:

That is an insanely accurate title for Valvrave

Sadly it was for the second season, where the show got boring :(

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Um, that was ... something. Really don't think it was good, though.

Give this guy some budget and go tell him to make Jackie Chan: The Videogame, and it would be awesome.

Sadly, he'd probably use Quicktime events, and it would suck.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Had rwby just been the trailers and more fighting I would have liked it. Maybe the game they're making will be that but I don't think I'll buy it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Namtab posted:

I will fight you

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually like the fights in this show and I don't mind the animation. But my god are the dialogue and characters gently caress-awful. When it was revealed that Black was a Faunes I stopped watching this show because of how loving ham-fisted the message was. Also Blanc is a dumb and terrible person so naturally the fandom loves her.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Ah, Ruh-Weebee. I will probably never watch this show but the title itself and the gifs that keep popping up will be jokes in themselves for all time. I thought the action in one of the trailers looked semi-neat, then opened up a random episode to see if it was good and discovered horrible 'anime-esque' dialogue and had to turn it off. I didn't think it was possible to be more anime than anime. It's like an anime replicant.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If someone went back in time to when I was still in high school and gave me all the resources necessary to make my own anime, RWBY is pretty close to what I would have made.

Although, it wouldn't have nearly as many characters, and it would be all about Ruby and Penny.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I do quite enjoy the fight scenes because they are a hell of a spectacle, but the biggest issue to me is the clunky dialogue. The native English speaking characters talk in a way that sounds like an anime dub, which comes off as completely unnatural and it's really jarring. I can understand why, because it's these guys first shot at something like this and the main writing team is very young so they have a lot of time to improve, but it's tough to get past. I can't bemoan anyone who's into it because while it's not particularly deep it's fun at its core and has definitely found its crowd, so good on them for that.

I will say this though: I think Michael Jones' voice acting (Sun) comes off extremely naturally and I'm excited to see what he does in Fairy Tail. He's got a talent for it.

edit: My defense of it is probably based in a lil bit of bias, because like I said earlier, I'm a real big Rooster Teeth fan, but it's hard not to look at this show critically because it feels like it could be so much better.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's cargo-cult anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watched the first... And maybe the second? episode of this and, while I am admittedly a fan of Oum's crazy fight scenes (I eagerly awaited each new entry of Dead Fantasy years ago), the awkward non-fight animation and god-awful dialogue, characters, and voice acting were more than I could bear. I was a little excited for it at first too, since again I like Oum and Red V Blue's first few seasons were good from what I watched, but I couldn't deal with the content. It's especially bad because I adore crappy low-brow Toei shonen fight man shows and Toku of all things, so I was surprised that I could find anything unwatchable.

The cookies scene early on is a perfect example. It's badly animated to begin with, and at the same time it shows what an awful pile of cliches Ruwuby is through the forced quirkiness. Oh, she's one of those face-stuffing motormouth shounen heroes, how incredibly exciting. I may skim it one day for the fight scenes, but it is not likely.

• Locked thread